Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://twitter.com/georgiaetennant/status/1654920814716764163

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm kinda' hoping they're advertising Donna so they can sneak in closure for Jenny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well it's nice she's got a sense of humour abut it :)

Georgia that is, gently caress Liz Truss.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1654893797216604164

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Yannick_B posted:

Is Ncuti Gatwa gonna have a different (real awesome) look each episode??

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1656343357931520022

The more they show of the Ncuti season, the more I wish we could just completely skip past the inevitably irritating Tennant bullshit and get straight to 15’s run.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The more they show of the Ncuti season, the more I wish we could just completely skip past the inevitably irritating Tennant bullshit and get straight to 15’s run.

16th. Tennant is the 15th Doctor as well as the 10th and 11th. (+1 if you factor in the War Doctor)

I too wish to skip him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tennant is one of my favs and all his stories owned so I'm excited for them and for the new doctor.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

One of the things I'm taking away from this, which is interesting, is that the time vortex is back to looking like it did during the original RTD era.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

BooDooBoo posted:

16th. Tennant is the 15th Doctor as well as the 10th and 11th. (+1 if you factor in the War Doctor)

I too wish to skip him.

Ncuti Gatwa is being called the 15th Doctor in all the official BBC press materials and that’s what I’m going to call him until the show says otherwise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, to be honest I'm a little iffy on calling 10 14 since he's clearly just 10 again (that we've seen so far!), but if that's what they call him I'll go with it. War (between 8 & 9) and Fugitive (between 2 & 3) have always stood apart in their descriptions so even if the numbering doesn't technically make sense, Eccleston is still 9, Tennant 10, Smith 11, Capaldi 12, Whittaker 13 etc.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

i'm fine with calling em all "The Doctor" and having to figure it out from there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah doctor numbering is for viewer and discussion convenience, especially now when the Doctor has as many unmentioned iterations as they want.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, to be honest I'm a little iffy on calling 10 14 since he's clearly just 10 again (that we've seen so far!), but if that's what they call him I'll go with it. War (between 8 & 9) and Fugitive (between 2 & 3) have always stood apart in their descriptions so even if the numbering doesn't technically make sense, Eccleston is still 9, Tennant 10, Smith 11, Capaldi 12, Whittaker 13 etc.

Calling them all by their technical regeneration number also makes things needlessly complicated, especially since two of them already have other titles that make them easily identifiable (War and Fugitive, as you mentioned).

Donna/HandDoc is also never portrayed in the show as a full incarnation of The Doctor, even if he did use up a regeneration. And even that distinction came later when Moffat did a soft-retcon with it in order to justify 11’s fear that he’d be the last Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I do kind of wish 12 had been the last of the regeneration cycle, I’d have loved to have seen Capaldi doing the ‘did you just mention THE RULES?!’ bit. Also his look is a nice mirror bookend to Hartnell.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

The_Doctor posted:

I do kind of wish 12 had been the last of the regeneration cycle, I’d have loved to have seen Capaldi doing the ‘did you just mention THE RULES?!’ bit. Also his look is a nice mirror bookend to Hartnell.

Same, it's up there with "Should have been the Enterprise D is first contact" as a could-have-been story.

It'd give a reason for the First Doctor to be there, and give him a reason to go on knowing subconsciously that he'll keep going.

Ah well, can't have everything!

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

So they've announced the episode titles for the specials, but they still haven't given firm air dates yet, right? Or indicated if the first Gatwa season will be a spring release or a fall one or what for next year?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The 60th Anniversary specials will air in November, followed by a holiday special sometime around Christmas featuring Gatwa's first episode as the Doctor. We don't know when the next full season will be other than 2024.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I can cope with Tennant back because he has a shelf life. We know we're only getting three episodes. If this was the status quo going in and Tennant was back for an indefinite amount of time, I'd be annoyed.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Khanstant posted:

Tennant is one of my favs and all his stories owned so I'm excited for them and for the new doctor.

yeah i dont know why ppl are so pissy about him coming back lol. his tenure (lol) was the show at its best and it makes sense to have him as a stopgap to bring people back from the awful, awful, chibnall era.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dongicus posted:

yeah i dont know why ppl are so pissy about him coming back lol. his tenure (lol) was the show at its best

The first bit is at least partially because not everyone thinks the second

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The three Tennant episodes are simply to create buzz among wayward viewers who are nostalgic for where the show was thirteen years ago as to give momentum to Gatwa when he gets on screen.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CommonShore posted:

The three Tennant episodes are simply to create buzz among wayward viewers who are nostalgic for where the show was thirteen years ago as to give momentum to Gatwa when he gets on screen.

Yeah, it's quite transparently a ploy to get viewers back who quit watching during the Chibnall era.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It feels like out of all the nu-Who Doctors they're dragging 10 back in after already including him in The Day of the Doctor.

If you can't get Eccleston to do more than voice work, and you can't get Smith to come back because he's a big deal now and you can't get Capaldi because it's too soon then, like, why even bother?

But I'm honestly not that miffed over it, and I'm still gonna watch, because by the time November rolls around it'll have felt like an eon and then some since there's been new Doctor Who on the screen. I am just chomping at the bit for Gatwa's portrayal.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Dongicus posted:

yeah i dont know why ppl are so pissy about him coming back lol. his tenure (lol) was the show at its best and it makes sense to have him as a stopgap to bring people back from the awful, awful, chibnall era.

Maybe people are pissy because they’re tired of franchises dangling lazy nostalgia in their face to try and entice them into coming back instead of, you know, actually moving on and committing to new and interesting things.

I hated most of Chibnall’s run, what I want (and what would ultimately get me back to weekly viewing instead of waiting months for it all to drop on streaming) is something new. Another year of Tennant specials ain’t it.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe people are pissy because they’re tired of franchises dangling lazy nostalgia in their face to try and entice them into coming back instead of, you know, actually moving on and committing to new and interesting things.

I hated most of Chibnall’s run, what I want (and what would ultimately get me back to weekly viewing instead of waiting months for it all to drop on streaming) is something new. Another year of Tennant specials ain’t it.

the whole show is nostalgia bait lol. e: also isnt the new doctor... new lol? w/e

Dongicus fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 15, 2023

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The first bit is at least partially because not everyone thinks the second

i dont believe you

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

It feels like out of all the nu-Who Doctors they're dragging 10 back in after already including him in The Day of the Doctor.

If you can't get Eccleston to do more than voice work, and you can't get Smith to come back because he's a big deal now and you can't get Capaldi because it's too soon then, like, why even bother?

But I'm honestly not that miffed over it, and I'm still gonna watch, because by the time November rolls around it'll have felt like an eon and then some since there's been new Doctor Who on the screen. I am just chomping at the bit for Gatwa's portrayal.

It's because Tennant was the most popular by far of the revival series Doctors; even Smith and Moffat's era was basically just them building on what Tennant and RTD had achieved before them. They're not bringing Tennant back because he was the only one they could get, they're bringing him back because he's the one people want to see.

I'm also going to cop to a nagging suspicion that Tennant coming back is going to be hugely successful ratings-wise, and that the ratings success is going to largely be due to Tennant; and that when people (who are less terminally online than us, anyways) realize he isn't going to be the Doctor full-time again, the ratings are going to experience a decline. I think it's very much a case of RTD potentially shooting the new Doctor in the foot by bringing back an older and much more popular one first, instead of letting the new guy carry the show on his own, as all the other actors who played the Doctor got the chance to do before him. I could also be completely 100% wrong. Time will tell.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Part of the reason that Tennant was popular was that he was an attractive young man (which Smith, Capaldi and Whittaker all are not). Gatwa very definitely is.

Dongicus posted:

i dont believe you

Tennant's period is probably the third worst imo, better than Whittaker and CBakes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dongicus posted:

haha sometimes from this thread you'd think every doctor was loving garbage, every companion an abomination, and there has never been a good episode of the show.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Part of the reason that Tennant was popular was that he was an attractive young man (which Smith, Capaldi and Whittaker all are not). Gatwa very definitely is.

Tennant's period is probably the third worst imo, better than Whittaker and CBakes.

Smith was a Tumblr hotboy

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Smith was a Tumblr hotboy

Whether you think he's personally hot or not, the series leant into it approximately 0% as much as it did in the Tennant era

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

One of grown up Amy Ponds early quandaries was if she was gonna bang 11 or not.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Khanstant posted:

haha sometimes from this thread you'd think every doctor was loving garbage, every companion an abomination, and there has never been a good episode of the show.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/258262904091058176?s=20

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Oh I dunno, the first seven were pretty darn good, along with (most of) their companions :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wasn't the Smith/Moffatt run the most popular the show has been? Or was that just because it's when the show pushed for a more global (globaler?) reach than before?

Anyways, all that is secondary to the fact that I'm really drat excited for new Doctor Who, coming soon!*

* Not soon enough!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh I dunno, the first seven were pretty darn good, along with (most of) their companions :)

Hahaha I deleted a second line about, except for the old heads who think the originals are perfect in every way, because I still remember some squabbling over which and what occasionally... I just can never make it through very many of them to remember the characters/eps to contextualize the squabbles.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Hahaha I deleted a second line about, except for the old heads who think the originals are perfect in every way, because I still remember some squabbling over which and what occasionally... I just can never make it through very many of them to remember the characters/eps to contextualize the squabbles.

It's almost like there is no actual consensus or agreement on anything, just like any other fandom!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm tired of the Hive Mind in this thread that is constantly claiming multiple contradictory things all the time seemingly based on completely individual opinions based on a person's own unique perspective! :argh:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It's like doctor who cannon. Messy and contradictory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that's what happens when you stand in front of a cannon! :haw:

Terrible puns aside, what are people guessing re: NPH's character? I have read zero spoilers so I have no idea, but based on absolutely nothing beyond the trailers that have been released I'm assuming he's some kind of trickster "god" and I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume he's a modern (and far less racist) version of The Toymaker.

The Doctor gonna beat him with The Tower of Hanoi.... again!