Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

steinrokkan posted:

I never even got the "Nobody:" meme format

I have always hated that. hate hate hated it. I hated it when I saw people use in on somethingawful in the early 00s.

It always just felt like a weird way of shouting to the world that you do something wacky, but it's such a common wacky thing that everyone relates to it, so the nobody: becomes doubly stupid.

An accurate Nobody: meme would go:

Nobody:

Nobody:

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Nobody:

Not a single soul:

Credburn:

credburn posted:

I have always hated that. hate hate hated it. I hated it when I saw people use in on somethingawful in the early 00s.

It always just felt like a weird way of shouting to the world that you do something wacky, but it's such a common wacky thing that everyone relates to it, so the nobody: becomes doubly stupid.

An accurate Nobody: meme would go:

Nobody:

Nobody:

:colbert:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I think we've been over this.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Memes are dumb, move on. Don't waste your mental load on trying to understand them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe it's the meme equivalent of a double negative. "Nobody said nothin', but dis guy over heah?"

In truth, I assume it evolved from "...said absolutely nobody" which makes sense because you actually have a phrase in there to attribute to "nobody"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The POV business is a lot like how "selfie" now just means "a picture of someone", not "a picture of someone which they made, of themself"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
The idea is that the not "nobody" speaker is responding to something so outrageous that literally no one asked. The "nobody:" is nobody asking.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hyperlynx posted:

The POV business is a lot like how "selfie" now just means "a picture of someone", not "a picture of someone which they made, of themself"

Jesus I'm just now getting to the stage where "selfie" doesn't sound like an incredibly silly word anymore, and now it means something different? I do not do well in today's world of rapidly mutating words and phrases.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Precocious does not mean pretentious.

Necessarily.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Grassy Knowles posted:

The idea is that the not "nobody" speaker is responding to something so outrageous that literally no one asked. The "nobody:" is nobody asking.

But that also scans as nobody not asking anything. You can see the confusion here.

I don't necessarily think there's a good way to "correct" the joke format, mind you. It's just that if I tried to invent it myself and explain it, I wouldn't be able to, because it doesn't actually make sense. It mostly works but I'm not really sure why.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The whole "nobody" thing is just there because people aren't confident enough to say their wacky stuff without any kind of lead-in.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The whole "nobody" thing is just there because people aren't confident enough to say their wacky stuff without any kind of lead-in.

Ok, but is no one going to talk about how annoying that is?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Captain Splendid posted:

Ok, but is no one going to talk about how annoying that is?

It reminds me of a time when you would be made fun of quite harshly in that edgy 00s way if you ever were to post something with Me: (something wacky). It seems so self-indulgent. Like giving yourself a nickname. You gotta earn it, man. You gotta earn the anecdote about your wacky characteristic.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I can almost comprehend the meme when it's just

Nobody:
Zany thing

But when it's like

Nobody:
Absolutely nobody:
Zany thing

That seems like a double negative, equivalent to

Somebody:
Zany thing

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Doesn't that read like "super, super-duper"? ie reinforcement?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

run on sentience posted:

I can almost comprehend the meme when it's just

Nobody:
Zany thing

But when it's like

Nobody:
Absolutely nobody:
Zany thing

That seems like a double negative, equivalent to

Somebody:
Zany thing

I think the idea was that my complaint was my own issue and nobody else has a problem with it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

sebmojo posted:

Swords don't actually make a metallic sound coming out because that means something is rubbing the edge and making it blunt.

As a kid, I was amazed to learn that a lot of old scabbards were made of wood because of this.

Well, the stiff ones. Ones made from leather were pretty obvious that they shouldn't be making the shhhhhht noise.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I just realized we're on page 420 and no one has posted anything about weed.

For content, ummm... I just realized I haven't seen a bud with seeds in it for years now, and have no idea where new plants come from. Used to be a pleasant, relaxing ritual for me in college, getting an 8th on a Friday night and sorting the good stuff from the seeds and stems while listening to live house music mixes on the radio.

Clones from cuttings.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
What a time to be alive where I just cross the street, hand a guy forty dollars, walk home with a pillowcase full of legal weed, an amount that people have served life sentences for, weed that is 100x better than what they had, and I just shove it all in a pipe like a stoner glutton and chuck half of it in the gutter because who cares, this poo poo is cheaper than its weight in paper towels

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

credburn posted:

What a time to be alive where I just cross the street, hand a guy forty dollars, walk home with a pillowcase full of legal weed, an amount that people have served life sentences for, weed that is 100x better than what they had, and I just shove it all in a pipe like a stoner glutton and chuck half of it in the gutter because who cares, this poo poo is cheaper than its weight in paper towels

Fuckin finally.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Well blow me up and call me Building 7..... Angelina Jolie is Jon Voight's daughter....

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Ross Dress for Less isn’t a store for exclusively dresses

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Niemat posted:

Ross Dress for Less isn’t a store for exclusively dresses

Rossdressing is when you always wear a jacket with shoulder pads thrice as wide as your head.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

showing off my new leather jacket: "rivet! rivet!!"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cable Guy posted:

Well blow me up and call me Building 7..... Angelina Jolie is Jon Voight's daughter....

He is also hella MAGA now

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Mac Miller is dead and has been for nearly 5 years

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
*flush*

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Chef Boyardee was a real guy, an actual chef who founded the brand that still bears his name.

Between this and Colonel Sanders, now I'm wondering what other mascots have been real all along. The Quaker Oats guy? Mr. Peanut? The Jolly Green Giant?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Quaker Oat guy is supposed to be a look alike of the most famous quaker, William Penn

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That Quaker Oats guy really set back Quakerism, people end up thinking they’re like the Amish when really it’s very progressive

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Chef Boyardee was a real guy, an actual chef who founded the brand that still bears his name.

Actually he was a fictional character invented by Bram Stoker

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Isn't Spider Man's uncle named Ben?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Powered Descent posted:

Between this and Colonel Sanders, now I'm wondering what other mascots have been real all along. The Quaker Oats guy? Mr. Peanut? The Jolly Green Giant?

Paul Newman????

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Powered Descent posted:

That blew my mind when I finally found it out as an adult, it still makes me laugh every time I think about it because of how they dumbed down the actual name Boiardi because it was too difficult for us Americans

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The tzar is good but beware his evil boyardees!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Captain Splendid posted:

Mac Miller is dead and has been for nearly 5 years

Jeez, he was only 26. Died too young

If he had lived a few more months he could have joined the 27 club.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sauropod means "lizard foot." That's incredibly stupid and not the main notable feature of them at all!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gaius Marius posted:

Quaker Oat guy is supposed to be a look alike of the most famous quaker, William Penn

The guy who founded PENNZOIL?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sauropod means "lizard foot." That's incredibly stupid and not the main notable feature of them at all!

To me they're just a bunch of good for nothing long necks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Captain Hygiene posted:

That blew my mind when I finally found it out as an adult, it still makes me laugh every time I think about it because of how they dumbed down the actual name Boiardi because it was too difficult for us Americans

He just felt very strongly it was important that people could pronounce his name correctly, to him that was more important than the spelling.

Anglicizing names when coming here was a really common thing for pretty much all immigrants coming to America in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and it certainly tracks with my Italian-American side*. I think going from Ettore Boiardi to Hector Boy-ar-dee is comparatively minor, relative to what a lot of people coming through Ellis island did.

*except for one distant cousin I heard about, she came here in like 1900 and never bothered to learn English. She ended up getting thrown out of the food bank she used to go to because she'd try to grab food for like 5 or 6 people and hoard it and didn't understand the people there telling her why she couldn't do that.