Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Might have been asked, but I didn't see it in the last few pages:

I kind of bounced off BOTW because, for all the neat mechanics, I didn't find the actual world that interesting to explore and it felt like outside of a couple notable locations, any potentially interesting thing just ended up being another shrine or Korok seed. How is TOTK in that regard? Is there more unique interesting stuff in the world to find?

Really depends if you're looking for more stuff or something different. For example there are caves around and each one has something special to find which might be well hidden in there; is that different from yet another shrine or korok?

There's a few more things to find around the place, but the gameplay and gameflow isn't fundamentally different. If your turnoff was at the basic gameplay level, don't go looking for a change here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I found a potential bug/exploit (seems pretty niche so I doubt it's that useful but it was interesting) during combat with a hinox I was in the middle of doing a spin attack with a two hander but I was also pressing A trying to steal the items from its neck, it put me in like the weapon select screen where you get an item but don't have room, the hit sound started spamming and when I exited that menu my sword broke and it got one shotted

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Of all the unexpected plot elements, I think the most surprising has been the Zora kingdom being besieged by showers of poo from the sky :stare:

Now that's how you generate a dramatic story!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So I uh, just randomly stumbled onto the loving Hylian Shield. Funny thing is, if you are good at dodging/running I'm pretty sure you can get it like 10 minutes after getting the Paraglider back from Purah.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Lord Hydronium posted:

Might have been asked, but I didn't see it in the last few pages:

I kind of bounced off BOTW because, for all the neat mechanics, I didn't find the actual world that interesting to explore and it felt like outside of a couple notable locations, any potentially interesting thing just ended up being another shrine or Korok seed. How is TOTK in that regard? Is there more unique interesting stuff in the world to find?

I felt the same about BotW, didn't click with me at all, but unless anything drastically changes TotK is among the best video games ever created.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am at 87 shrines done and i think i'm at the point where i can't just find them by looking through my scope after utilizing towers anymore

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've seen a lot of people who have bounced off BotW because it felt "empty" to them do a full 180 and fully embrace TotK. The world just feels a lot more lively and active. There are more NPCs around, more quests, and a new central hub town that evolves over the course of the game. The game world is also a lot bigger with more diversity of content due to the presence of the sky islands, all the new caves, and that which lies underground. Many areas in the overworld that felt empty in BotW have new things happening in them. Though yes, at its core, this is still very much like BotW, just with more of everything.

edit: That said, they haven't given in to the theme-park style of open world game design. There are still lots of moments where you have to find your own way to a destination, which involves getting on your horse and galloping through the countryside, taking in the sights, occasionally dismounting to do a side activity or whatever. It's not like every moment is scripted/designed. So if that's something you dislike, then this game may continue not being for you.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 15, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i am at 87 shrines done and i think i'm at the point where i can't just find them by looking through my scope after utilizing towers anymore

some of them are inside caves and wells, or just have the posts and you have to find the crystal

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've seen a lot of people who have bounced off BotW because it felt "empty" to them do a full 180 and fully embrace TotK. The world just feels a lot more lively and active. There are more NPCs around, more quests, and a new central hub town that evolves over the course of the game. The game world is also a lot bigger with more diversity of content due to the presence of the sky islands, all the new caves, and that which lies underground. Many areas in the overworld that felt empty in BotW have new things happening in them. Though yes, at its core, this is still very much like BotW, just with more of everything.

It’s kinda like BotW in terms of mechanics and gameplay but the rest couldn’t be more different. I had to force myself to play it because so many people say it’s good, I’m currently playing TOTK like a loving absolute crackhead

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I wonder how much the "eh" on botw but hype on totk comes down to botw having most of its secrets revealed, while totk is still extremely fresh. Like, there's slowly maps coming out, but even post-leak you can't just do everything

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Augus posted:

some of them are inside caves and wells, or just have the posts and you have to find the crystal

yeah i have found a few cave ones and i think i've done most to all of the sky ones that have quests attached to them in addition to the regular ones up there. i could prolly very easily beat the game right now but, why bother there's so much i can do instead.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gamerofthegame posted:

I wonder how much the "eh" on botw but hype on totk comes down to botw having most of its secrets revealed, while totk is still extremely fresh. Like, there's slowly maps coming out, but even post-leak you can't just do everything

i greatly enjoyed botw despite not playing it till 2020 bit i always lamented missing out on discovering everything at the same time as everyone else. it rules seeing people itt post the same kind of reactions i had to things like first finding those fuckin hands and then the surprise phantom ganon fight

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

am I the only one that finds the Wallmasters or whatever they are much, much harder then the Phantom Ganon fight after

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

am I the only one that finds the Wallmasters or whatever they are much, much harder then the Phantom Ganon fight after

extremely same

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Any special trick for getting bokoblin guts to drop? I need a bunch for armor upgrades and I feel like it shouldn’t be this rare a drop. Have had zero drops of regular and boss guts after a couple hours of farming.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nope you’re not alone, they are way harder
also according to a loading screen tip the official name is “Gloom Spawn”

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Thanks for the responses! It sounds like it's definitely improved in that area.

Bruceski posted:

Really depends if you're looking for more stuff or something different. For example there are caves around and each one has something special to find which might be well hidden in there; is that different from yet another shrine or korok?

There's a few more things to find around the place, but the gameplay and gameflow isn't fundamentally different. If your turnoff was at the basic gameplay level, don't go looking for a change here.
Ultimately I think what it came down to for me with BOTW is that the sense of completely open exploration was diminished by every exploration ending the same way with the same results. At the point where I ended up putting down the game (just before the third beast) I kind of felt like I'd seen all the game had to offer. For comparison, some of the stuff that did stand out positively were poking around Hyrule Castle, which had the open exploration but also felt like it had a certain structure to it, and had both environmental storytelling and physical rewards, and stumbling across those dragons in the wild. Those were moments where I felt like I was getting something genuinely new and unexpected, rather than "What's over this mountain? Oh, it's another mountain and a shrine."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The game world is also a lot bigger with more diversity of content due to the presence of the sky islands, all the new caves, and that which lies underground.
Yeah, diversity of content sounds just like what I was looking for.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I found a shirt in a cave that makes link look like Korra from avatar which is cool. The shirt also lights up. Game owns

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Dammit I thought I explored it front and back!

My first time down there I was scrabbling around for over an hour just constantly finding a new branch or pathway, then I'd ascend into some other secret chamber and keep going.

And yet every time I've been back I like get turned around and lost and can't find the last major branch way I remember seeing but not exploring, and where presumably last price of a set I want is.

What a crazy deep network of tunnels, really cool

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Are star fragments good for anything useful or super cool? I've gotten a couple, and turning them into hyrulebux so I can actually afford to buy things is sounding pretty attractive given how low on money I am compared to BotW.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Are star fragments good for anything useful or super cool? I've gotten a couple, and turning them into hyrulebux so I can actually afford to buy things is sounding pretty attractive given how low on money I am compared to BotW.

I’m guessing you’ll need a few for level 3 clothes upgrades.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Beat the water temple boss. Just used up a lot of my food doing so :argh: I need to go hunting so I can get some more meals.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's used to upgrade some of the previously amibo only outfit pieces.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I've got a bit over 100 and I'm still finding whole rear end obvious surface ones lol. Yesterday I was cruising around on foot for a moment after emerging from some cave through ascend to get my bearings and I found a whole horse house I hadn't found yet. Did a quest for the stable on my horse and thought I was heading back to the stable to turn in the quest... No! I brought us to another new undiscovered stable.

I still have surface to cover, but for the sneaky ones it'll be easier to find them in this game. I've already found a few that way just curious what it's like up there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I really have only found one way to beat them that wasn't just bomb arrows to the wad or butt chugging hearts. I had some spear fused with another spear that gave me enough reach to poke the bastards without getting stuck in some horrible grabbing chain. Even that seemed to work mostly because they seemed slightly occupied by the spirit squad.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Is there a better tool for smashing open blue/black rocks than boulder + 2hander, because those take a whole lot of hits

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

I’m guessing you’ll need a few for level 3 clothes upgrades.

Shoehead posted:

It's used to upgrade some of the previously amibo only outfit pieces.

Ah ok, probably not something I'll get around to for a long time at best. I'll just sell em off if necessary next time I run into some clothes I need.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What Amiibos work with TotK? My wife has a bunch of AC:NH ones and it would be neat if I could have some goofy animal in the game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

External Organs posted:

Please don't be cool, please don't be cool. I just sold a diamond and I have a magic wand just sitting in my inventory unfused.

I don't know, but the electric stone (yellow gem) turns your weapon into a wand that shot balls of electricity that slowly fly around. I have not use it to fight, seems to precious for that

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Is there a better tool for smashing open blue/black rocks than boulder + 2hander, because those take a whole lot of hits

story spoiler when you complete the goron area story, you get a goron friend that small large areas of stone on demand. Too bad he does it on a cooldown, so you either wait, or use some weapons durability

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Thunderbolt or Rock n Roll should do it. I legit thought those blocks were unbreakable without progress lol

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
hosed up that I must be here, at work, instead of playing more of this loving game

i told one of my coworker friends about the great plateau plotline "i skydived into a massive cavern, met a giant statue with the god of the dead inside, then got ambushed by a group of evil ninjas who ran me over with a monster truck" and his consensus is that the game is a fever dream, and thats incredible.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
there's a shrine called something like Scoop it Up where you're supposed to fuse a bunch of planks to a wheel that scoops up balls, but you can just fuse a ball to the wheel

lol game great

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Goddammit I just fell again while trying to get to the Rito sky-thing. Getting frustrated, I admit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Record it and put yakety sax over it at double speed

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Oh, also, what are you all fusing to your shields? I haven't really found any "primary" one and it seems that most like dazzlefruit are single-use which I find cumbersome.

Still, a few fun ones: cannon, light, puffer shroom

Is there something I can fuse for like added durability?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I honestly just use fuse on shields for mobility stuff, like bouncy boxes or minecarts

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Folks wish they were on my level

https://i.imgur.com/TyrE4O7.mp4

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 16, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khanstant posted:

Record it and put yakety sax over it at double speed

So frustrating! I tried to select Rewind when the floor started to fall away but I wasn’t fast enough so I was already in the air and couldn’t activate it. It’s only like 5 minutes per attempt but it feels so intricate with all the jumps. A Blood Moon would really top the whole experience off.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

f#a# posted:

Oh, also, what are you all fusing to your shields? I haven't really found any "primary" one and it seems that most like dazzlefruit are single-use which I find cumbersome.

Still, a few fun ones: cannon, light, puffer shroom

Is there something I can fuse for like added durability?

One of the gorons has a diamond store in the middle of town and says something about fusing diamonds to your shield being a good idea

I don't know if it works like weapons where some stuff is "better" than other stuff in terms of adding durabilty, or if it's like weapons where no matter what you fuse it just can take another N hits as long as the fused thing doesn't break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Great plateau - can someone give me a hint here? I went to the temple of time and the dang ol statue said she was trapped under some water somewhere! What? I explored around the lake past the arches, found a shrine under a cave...what should I be doing or looking for?