Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

commander john hawken thought his days of mech fighting were behind him, but when the badguya cartel kidnapped his wife and daughter, he had no choice but to go back to the life he thought he had left behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think i briefly tried hawken but it was a mp game with a high skill cap so i got constantly owned. the f2p elements were also kind of bad, maybe? something to do with upgrades.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

an extension of the refund system sure, but I also bet it's something Valve has set up because of how important Demo Festivals have become for the storefront (almost every event now is being pitched as a festival or "con" with demos to play). now developers and publishers that haven't participated in past festivals because they don't have demo builds can enable a 90 minute trial of their game for the festival. We might start seeing higher profile games starting in next month's Summer Games Festival.

(i think the closest i've seen to a AA/AAA game in a festival to date was Ys IX)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 16, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Do we have an Omega Strikers thread? I played a few rounds and would like to party up sometime

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think i briefly tried hawken but it was a mp game with a high skill cap so i got constantly owned. the f2p elements were also kind of bad, maybe? something to do with upgrades.

Yeah, it was super cool but definitely needed better stratification between skill tiers.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Orv posted:

The actual question about Steam… trials? Undemos? Is does that 90 minutes cut into your refund time because of how Steam tracks gameplay time? I assume someone has thought this far ahead but then again Valve.

I would assume they have not thought that far ahead. If you play remote on a friend's copy of a game you can't refund that game later. I think they only have one way they measure play time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Do we have an Omega Strikers thread? I played a few rounds and would like to party up sometime

there's a thread here, though i dont think people are really using it for matchmaking

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012962

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I would definitely try out way, way more games if time trials became a standard thing developers could opt into. There’s plenty of games I have an interest in but aren’t quite at that point where I’d charge my credit card and then worry about having yet another return.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

briefly looked at the "sports festival" happening on steam and saw 'motor doom'

you know what, sure

Orv
May 4, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

briefly looked at the "sports festival" happening on steam and saw 'motor doom'

you know what, sure

I appreciate, though maybe this is a false idea, that we seem to be back in an era where you can just make a video game-rear end video game like this or Vampire Survivors or just games that revel in "Do a stupid thing because it's cool" vibes. Feel like we lost that for a bit but maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Orv posted:

"Do a stupid thing because it's cool"
:hmmyes:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Orv posted:

I appreciate, though maybe this is a false idea, that we seem to be back in an era where you can just make a video game-rear end video game like this or Vampire Survivors or just games that revel in "Do a stupid thing because it's cool" vibes. Feel like we lost that for a bit but maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places.

thank god for indie gaming and the very few big devs that still make good AAA games (fromsoft, whoever made returnal, probably one or two others). every other expensive game sucks a sour lemon.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

FuriousGeorge posted:

Does anyone have any impressions of Songs of Conquest? Normally I don't buy games in EA, but it's currently on sale for 40% off, and seems like it's shaping up nicely. I love HoMM3 but I never liked the Ubisoft sequels. Kinda hoping this is the evolution I've been waiting for.

I bought it and refunded it back in the week it entered EA so I don't know exactly what has been done to address this but there was virtually zero player decision-making in SoC when I played it. You build the same buildings in the same order every map, you build the same units every map because there are no branching unit upgrade paths or any strategic reason to use one unit over another (they don't have interesting passive skills or gimmicks or active abilities). Higher level spells are the same thing as low level spells except with higher numbers/more targets. There's no strategy to battle, it's just mashing autoattacking stacks of units into each other and casting generic nuke or buff/debuff spells. At least in HOMM units had unique traits that made some units function differently or occasional active abilities or whatever.

It had a wonderful art style so I hope they did something to address all of that. I glanced through the update history but it looks like there have only been 4 big updates in the year it has been out and they added new game modes, a random map generator, a map editor, and better combat AI, but I didn't see anything about making combat mechanics actually interesting.

Disclaimer: I am pretty grognardy about strategy games and don't like them when they feel "pre-solved", which is exactly how I'd describe how SoC felt at launch: The game had already sussed out your strategy for you and all that was left was churning out units and marching them to enemy bases. I dislike Advance Wars and Wargroove for the same reason, if that serves at a litmus test for anyone reading this post

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 16, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I hate that feeling, too. Like when a strategy game is more of a puzzle game with an intended solution.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you enjoy HoMM-likes then it's worth noting that the entire Age of Wonders series is at a deep discount on Steam and Age of Wonders 4 just came out and it rules!!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

AoW4 is the diametric opposite of what I described SoC as and it owns :hmmyes:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume the new Hawken will not have an actual campaign, but just grinding multiplayer-style maps in singleplayer?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

where are the skateboards

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

Disclaimer: I am pretty grognardy about strategy games and don't like them when they feel "pre-solved", which is exactly how I'd describe how SoC felt at launch: The game had already sussed out your strategy for you and all that was left was churning out units and marching them to enemy bases. I dislike Advance Wars and Wargroove for the same reason, if that serves at a litmus test for anyone reading this post

insightful. and explanation for why i don't like AW and Wargroove. It's a shame thosetwo games have delightful art and such polish.

Orv posted:

:agreed: we must return to video game rear end video games

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume the new Hawken will not have an actual campaign, but just grinding multiplayer-style maps in singleplayer?

Yeah, they called it ‘pve’ and not ‘campaign’.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
gently caress, that sounds awful. I absolutely love mech games and it's weird/comical that we're getting the Amoured Core series revived, on PC no less, as the first meaty single-player fps mech game in ages.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, AoW4 and Spellforce: Conquest of Eo scratch the same itch for me, just with much greater depth and complexity.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ziggurat 2 has proven to me I can enjoy an FPS roguelite; I'd be fine if Hawken was that and not multiplayer only

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some news and deals of note:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Kins posted:

Some news and deals of note:

That's weird, I already own Origins, Mass Effect and Inquisition so the cost of the two remaining items - Andromeda and DA2 - are cheaper to buy individually than to buy the discounted package. For whatever reason, it shows the modified bundled up price as only discounted by 46% when the individual items are 84% and 75%.

It's a moot point since I'm not interested in buying either of those remaining games anyway, but it's still weird!

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
that bundle can't be purchased if you already own any of the games :)

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

By what I've read it appears to be strongly in the Master of Magic school of "here's a shitload of options, some of them might be completely broken, go hogwild", this about right? Good old MoM still the one fantasy 4x I look back at most fondly so that has sounded promising.

Pretty sure I'm picking it up anyway at some point during summer.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

That's weird, I already own Origins, Mass Effect and Inquisition so the cost of the two remaining items - Andromeda and DA2 - are cheaper to buy individually than to buy the discounted package. For whatever reason, it shows the modified bundled up price as only discounted by 46% when the individual items are 84% and 75%.
You might think it's a mistake that EA opted for the "must purchase together" bundle type, but the publisher sale page shows they also have a few "complete the set" bundles, so I guess that was a deliberate decision on their part.

King Boo posted:

that bundle can't be purchased if you already own any of the games :)
Which is weird. My guess is that the "must purchase together" bundles are less common and so Valve hasn't considered someone might want to purchase an entire bundle even if they already own one or more of the titles because the bundle prices is still cheaper than purchasing the rest of the items individually.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Guys buy Shadows of Forbidden Gods

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1741640/Shadows_of_Forbidden_Gods/

It's CK2, but you play as a horrifying elder thing, and there are different ones like you can be a big snake or a guy who makes a book that drives people mad, or a lady who gives away golden roses but it's not a good idea to take them, and you send agents around and you can start plagues, and the goal is to awaken and bring darkness upon the world. It's really good. The demo is 200 turns. Do not ignore people becoming aware of you and do not let your agents' Menace score get so high that the Chosen One travels across the world to come kill them. And if you do, make sure they have the Infamous trait, so that when they die everyone in the world goes 'phew! Well I guess everything's okay now!' and stops paying attention.

...it's great. I think a goon made it also.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

- not a huge surprise but Wholesome Direct is happening this year, on June 10th. i'll have a "Road to Summer Games Fest" thread in a couple of weeks maybe. there is a Humble event on the 18th but it's pretty isolated from a lot of the other events. as for Wholesome Direct, it usually has around 50-60 trailers in it, but they're all very short trailers, and half of the games might never come out because they're by single devs. and also a lot of the games are farm sims

- HROT is out of early access today

- Dead Cells launched a kickstarter for a board game

Orv
May 4, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Guys buy Shadows of Forbidden Gods

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1741640/Shadows_of_Forbidden_Gods/

It's CK2, but you play as a horrifying elder thing, and there are different ones like you can be a big snake or a guy who makes a book that drives people mad, or a lady who gives away golden roses but it's not a good idea to take them, and you send agents around and you can start plagues, and the goal is to awaken and bring darkness upon the world. It's really good. The demo is 200 turns. Do not ignore people becoming aware of you and do not let your agents' Menace score get so high that the Chosen One travels across the world to come kill them. And if you do, make sure they have the Infamous trait, so that when they die everyone in the world goes 'phew! Well I guess everything's okay now!' and stops paying attention.

...it's great. I think a goon made it also.

I have avoided posting about Shadows because of the bizarre That Which Sleeps curse that seems to hang over the “be the bad guy” strategy genre where they all turn out shallow and terrible.

Shadows did not! It’s got some rough edges and there’s a couple design choices I don’t love but it’s really cool, really fun and is fairly moddable with some pretty hefty ones already out there.

And yeah it’s by Bobby Two Hands, the person from Shadows Behind The Throne in the TWS days, though I don’t think they post in games anymore.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

exquisite tea posted:

If you enjoy HoMM-likes then it's worth noting that the entire Age of Wonders series is at a deep discount on Steam and Age of Wonders 4 just came out and it rules!!

how is the AI? biggest issue with map games is bad AI.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lunsku posted:

By what I've read it appears to be strongly in the Master of Magic school of "here's a shitload of options, some of them might be completely broken, go hogwild", this about right? Good old MoM still the one fantasy 4x I look back at most fondly so that has sounded promising.

Pretty sure I'm picking it up anyway at some point during summer.

Pretty much, although the devs (one of which is a goon) were putting out balance patches and tweaks for years after the last dlc. Good people.

err posted:

how is the AI? biggest issue with map games is bad AI.

I haven’t played AoW 4 yet but ask in the thread. Historically the combat AI is really good. Overworld AI has been mediocre although apparently they have made some changes to the mechanics that should prevent the endgame consisting solely of slamming doomstacks into each other, which was sorely needed.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 16, 2023

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/play-on-the-go-premium-edition-build-your-own-bundle

Fanatical Play on the go bundle: (2 for $6.99/3 for $9.99/$14.99)

quote:

Wolfenstein The old blood
Wolfenstein The new order
There is no light
Wild guns reloaded
Jackmove
DOOM (2016)
Patch Quest
Beyond blue
Dusk Diver
SPOOKWARE
Amid Evil
Haven Park
Nigate Tale
Tunche
Aquarist
From Space
Lair of the clockwork god
Death Mark
Fury Unleased
Cobra Kai

Bethseda VR Collection: $24.99 for:

quote:

Skyrim VR
Fallout 4 VR
DOOM VFR
Wolfenstein Cyberpilot

Star Deal: Batman Arkham Collection

$7.19

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/batman-arkham-collection

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
HROT 1.0 came out. Nice boomer shooter I got in a bundle.

https://twitter.com/kotolout/status/1658502576105734145

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Rarely awake at this hour so not sure if this is normal but...is Steam down?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Artelier posted:

Rarely awake at this hour so not sure if this is normal but...is Steam down?
Not connecting for me either.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It is tuesday my dudes

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks! I normally don't check Steam until say 9am (it's almost 630am rn) but I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep and wasn't sure if this was still maintenance time or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

err posted:

HROT 1.0 came out. Nice boomer shooter I got in a bundle.

It makes me laugh that they defined what Czechoslovakia was in the description.