Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Xaris posted:

lookin forward to it

i'm curious to see how long subsidies can prop up the meat industry, beef would already be prohibitively expensive for most people if not for a combination of government subsidies and importing from countries like Brazil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

there's going to be some incredible content in a few years when the price of beef begins to skyrocket to like $40/lb

dems will never let this happen

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

texas, now that is a power grid that needs no more electric vehicles

it is regularly 90F at 8pm when people are home from work charging their electric cars

That's fine they can turn the AC off in their house and turn it on in their car. Maybe pitch a tent over an open door.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

broke: truck drivers in Alaska idling their trucks overnight because it's too cold to get them started again in the morning

woke: truck drivers in Texas idling their trucks overnight because it's too hot to survive without AC and the power grid keeps collapsing

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

If you want to simulate biosphere collapse play The Universim and choose all the bad options on the tech tree

Or if you want to feel good choose the Eco options

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Oglethorpe posted:

If you want to simulate biosphere collapse play The Universim and choose all the bad options on the tech tree

Or if you want to feel good choose the Eco options

Is it finally "Finished"? I bought it in beta ages ago and it would always crash before I even got to paved roads.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

Is it finally "Finished"? I bought it in beta ages ago and it would always crash before I even got to paved roads.

not yet but i have gone to the moon

it seems pretty stable, playing on linux using Proton 7.0.6 even though its supposed to be native

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

They say the next update will be 1.0

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
That Montana bill is so insane, JFC. Also Ticks are loving horrifying and gross me out so much, fuckin disgusting little bastards :barf:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wheeee posted:

there's going to be some incredible content in a few years when the price of beef begins to skyrocket to like $40/lb

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

also depopulation because i'm pretty sure the average north american would sooner off themselves than live without red meat every day

They won't off themselves, they'll off random people at Walmart.

Wheeee posted:

broke: truck drivers in Alaska idling their trucks overnight because it's too cold to get them started again in the morning

woke: truck drivers in Texas idling their trucks overnight because it's too hot to survive without AC and the power grid keeps collapsing

Drivers idling their cars to run their AC because it's their personal living room on wheels, and this is an employee lot where they could be doing this in a break room that already has AC.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

silicone thrills posted:

The threads position is that no one should off themselves.

You should watch eyes wide open and let the horrors seer into your eyeballs.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

the el nino-southern oscillation is oscillating back to an el nino pattern. it's been in "el nino watch" for a month or so. so the switch is happening. it'll be interesting to see how it develops.

the ENSO blog is good
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/may-2023-enso-update-el-ni%C3%B1o-knocking-door

noaa's enso stuff is dry and technical but might get interesting
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.shtml

people talk about el nino like it's an event that does thing's but the ENSO pattern is just a pattern that tends to pop out of SST data. the underlying physical mechanisms are a lot more varied and those are what are actually going to do things. el nino/la nina refer to patterns within that

if you're familiar with principal component analysis or any other multivariate/spectral analysis, ENSO is literally just the first principal component or equivalent that pops out and accounts for most of the variance in SST temperature in a given spatial region (tropical/eastern pacific). the Pacific Decadal Oscillation/PDO https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_decadal_oscillation?useskin=vector is the same thing but for SST north of 20N in the pacific. so they're the same kind of math applied to SST in different parts on the pacific.

for some reason it's never really brought up what statistical phantoms both of these are outside of like, climate modeling courses. most people end up believing that they are events that cause changes instead of being observed patterns in SST changes. they're still extremely useful though. Also the cool thing about them, unlike most bullshit results of multivariate analyses, is you can see them in all sorts of other data sets. they're defined by SST but you can see them in some rainfall data sets, all sorts of poo poo. robust.

PDO is way cooler than ENSO imo. ENSO is pretty stable, small amplitude, and has strong regional impacts. useful to track. PDO has big amplitude and the PDO index tends to track with big global crazy temps all over instead of regional stuff.

if you compare the PDO index to crazy world wide heat vs the ENSO index, i think keeping an eye on the PDO index can be a better "poo poo is gonna get crazy soon" tracker. check out this paper for instance https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2017GL075930. ENSO blog also talks about it occasionally https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/going-out-ice-cream-first-date-pacific-decadal-oscillation

Also bears mentioning that not every ENSO event maps perfectly on to expectations. I've seen El Nino years go by where Southern CA still was pretty dry, even though the typical effect is the opposite. Not everyone of these will play out the same, and this probably goes doubly true now that climate change has finally come into its own and is materially affecting weather patterns worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised if in hindsight we'll point at one of the preceding 10 years as the tipping point where the old models just stopped applying. The polar vortex going stupid and the wobbly jet stream are going to make things much harder to predict, at least until/if we can settle on a new normal

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Hubbert posted:

You have to make up for your gas tax shortfall somehow...

consumption-based taxes aren’t sustainable and disproportionately affect the poor

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That Montana bill is so insane, JFC. Also Ticks are loving horrifying and gross me out so much, fuckin disgusting little bastards :barf:

If it's any consolation, male ticks reproduce by stabbing their penises anywhere into the females open circulatory system

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Microplastics posted:

If it's any consolation, male ticks reproduce by stabbing their penises anywhere into the females open circulatory system

Isn't that bedbugs?

Or is that also bedbugs?

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

quote:

Oceans have been absorbing the world’s extra heat. But there’s a huge payback
Record sea surface temperatures suggest the Earth is headed for ‘uncharted territory’ in terms of sea level rise, coastal flooding and extreme weather

“The ocean captures more than 90% of the imbalance of energy that we’re creating because of anthropogenic climate change.”

The ocean is much less reflective than the land and soaks up more of the direct energy from sunlight.

But as greenhouse gases trap more of the energy that’s reflected back – allowing less to escape to space – the ocean tries to balance itself with the heat in the atmosphere above.

A technical chart in a chapter of the latest UN climate assessment laid out the unfathomable heat gain. Between 1971 and 2018, the ocean had gained 396 zettajoules of heat.

How much heat is that? Scientists have calculated it is the equivalent energy of more than 25bn Hiroshima atomic bombs. And that heat gain is accelerating.

A study in January found the ocean gained 10 ZJ more in 2022 than the year before – enough heat to boil 700m kettles every second.

Compared with the ocean, according to a study in January the atmosphere has held on to about 2% of the extra heat caused by global heating since 2006.
girl I think your ocean gettin hot

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

HazCat posted:

Isn't that bedbugs?

Or is that also bedbugs?

Oh that might be bedbugs! Well hopefully we've all learned a bedbug fact and learned nothing about ticks.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
traumatic insemination is sufficient proof there's no just or loving god

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

quote:

And that heat gain is accelerating.

quote:

And that heat gain is accelerating.

The Ride never stops accelerating.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

4d3d3d posted:

traumatic insemination is sufficient proof there's no just or loving god

you want proof there’s no just or living god check this out
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strepsiptera

“a vast and mechanical cruelty beyond comprehension” posted:

In the Stylopidia, the female's anterior region protrudes out between the segments of the hosts abdomen. In all strepsipterans the male mates by rupturing the female's cuticle (in the case of Stylopida, this is in a deep narrow fissure of the cephalothorax near the birth canal). Sperm passes through the opening directly into the body in a process called traumatic insemination, which has independently evolved in some other insects like bed bugs.[1][11]

Strepsiptera eggs hatch inside the female, and the planidium larvae can move around freely within the female's haemocoel; this behavior is unique to these insects.[12] The offspring consume their mother from the inside in a process known as hemocelous viviparity. Each female produces many thousands of planidium larvae.[13] The larvae emerge from the brood opening/canal on the female's head, which protrudes outside the host body.[12][13]

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Yo Microplastics, can I get a sixer with Mr Bdelioid's Wild Ride please

or any mod reading this really

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm not a mod but I'm sure Stereotype will provide

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

oshit, got you guys mixed up as to who was the IK there, apologies

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

People got pissed at us for spamming the ban list with an image. They were very upset that they couldn't peruse the leper colony, a thing normal people do.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

"i'm not paying that much to go on an eco tariff"

"a vegan diet looks too intense for me!"

"just looking at the idea of degrowth makes me feel sick"

"it's too crowded here"

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

"it's too crowded here"

silence, malthusian!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

AceClown posted:

Yo Microplastics, can I get a sixer with Mr Bdelioid's Wild Ride please

or any mod reading this really

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

We gotta help each other out here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Rectal Death Adept posted:

if we invent realistic sex robots then i think we can see ourselves out as we lose the ability to grow as much food

:pray: