Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

silicone thrills posted:

Neat. So my sister did some genetic testing because her bio dad's family - all the women died of breast cancer and ovarian cancer and found she had this thing call the BRIP1 gene but it turns out, it came from our mom! woo. So I just got my test back and I officially have it.

The realistic side of it is I have something like a 10% chance of getting a pretty sneaky and vicious kind of ovarian cancer after menopause so the plan is that I have to have my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed then. FUN! So im 35 now and the guess is that maybe 10 ish years before I gotta pop those fuckers out. Sister is 8 years older than me and already has hers scheduled.

Garbage fuckin organs man. just garbage. Honestly though since i've had horrible ovarian cysts most of my life im looking forward to removing righty. i'd like to just step on it and squash it

Hell yeah they should give you the little fucker so you can step on her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

All the ladies in the thread with the period shits wave your hands in the air like you just don't care!

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

:amen:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
My gf's cackle when I walk into our bathroom (and instantly make various noises of shock, horror and disgust) she has recently used for period pooping is a small price to make her happier at such times.

But whoah.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Anyone have a good recommendation for the diva cup wash? One part lol branded soap and another that it has orange oil in it and I'm allergic. I was wondering why my periods were so itchy....

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Jyrraeth posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for the diva cup wash? One part lol branded soap and another that it has orange oil in it and I'm allergic. I was wondering why my periods were so itchy....

ngl i just boil it in water for a few minutes

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Using the fabric pads is so nice unless I have to change at work.

I like the lighter patterns for some reason. Maybe because I can actually see the red, compared to the snazzy black star pads where I can't tell if I'm heavy flow or...nope it just dripped off the side I need to change.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Killingyouguy! posted:

ngl i just boil it in water for a few minutes

Aren't you supposed to clean it every time you change it?

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013

Jyrraeth posted:

I use “feminine wash”.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Jyrraeth posted:

what? no?

OK so i just looked at diva cup's website and apparently now they say 'use the diva wash every time'. because they want to sell more diva wash. When i bought my first cup 15 years ago the instructions were to rinse it with water when you empty it and boil it between cycles.

It's surgical grade silicone and the menstrual fluid hasn't been exposed to a ton of air for very long, I've never had a problem

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I just rinse mine between empties with hot water and then wash mine with my hand soap which is already good for my dumb super sensitive skin and ive been doing that for like 14 years with great success. I've boiled it a few times but not every period. its discolored but it was always gonna get discolored so who cares.

Basically do what ever you do with silicone sex toys. Same principals.

im trying to think back to what the pamphlet said forever ago but I think it just said "gentle wash" and I just took that to mean nothing harsh.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 9, 2023

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I rinse my disc with just water when reinserting and then wash it with dish soap and soak it in oxyclean once I’m done.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jyrraeth posted:

Rinse it out, you don't need to soap it up if it is going right back in. If your previous wash was making you itchy that means there was residue on the cup. Soap residue up in your bits is very bad.

Cups are made of medical grade silicone because it is completely non-reactive. Anything you put on the cup is going to be more reactive then a tiny amount of menstrual fluid. Pop it out, give it a rinse or a wipe, pop it back in. There is no time for it to accumulate the bad microorganisms, and any traces of organic material won't matter since it is immediately slimed with more of the same stuff as you put it back in.

At the end of the cycle you give it a good wash and a super good rinse. Loads of people like to give it a boil, which is great. Some people like to soak it in alcohol, but that isn't recommended anymore as it can slightly reduce the working life of the product. Get every speck of organic material off it so there is nothing to rot or attract unpleasant things like bacteria, or dogs.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I splurged and got one of those little mini sterilizers specifically for your cup. I only bother with it at the beginning and end of my cycle. A rinse is all that’s needed when you’re just emptying out and reinserting.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think the reason they’re like “no you really have to clean it” now is because it turns out you can get TSS from menstrual cups. Like I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but now that we know it’s possible, they have to cover themselves

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Anne Whateley posted:

I think the reason they’re like “no you really have to clean it” now is because it turns out you can get TSS from menstrual cups. Like I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but now that we know it’s possible, they have to cover themselves

:captainpop: Well now there’s another reason for me not to use one ever, I’ve been super paranoid about tampons because of that for my entire blood-flood-having life. Also being generally icked by the idea of having to put things in there knowing my hands will look like a murder scene afterwards has always been a good deterrent.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
I've always been super unpredictable but Clue thinks it'll hit on the 19th...which is in the middle of a dorky nerd poo poo convention that I'm on staff for and will be driving interstate to get to. please be significantly early or late for the love of gosh I don't need to worry about containment breaches on top of everything else. though mostly I just hope it doesn't start during the drat drive, I do not want to have to try to figure out how to clean that outta my car seats and do laundry at a hotel

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Using the fabric pads is so nice unless I have to change at work.

I like the lighter patterns for some reason. Maybe because I can actually see the red, compared to the snazzy black star pads where I can't tell if I'm heavy flow or...nope it just dripped off the side I need to change.

I also <3 my fabric pads and feel the same way about the colors, but I'm a sahm and don't have the work problem. Only real downside for me is when I ride my bike with them on, they get jammed up my labia :argh: I got to wear disposable ones if I am going on anything longer than dropping the boy off at school.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Huh, apparently there was a study that was like 'you can grow tss bacteria on a menstrual cup if you soak it in brain heart infusion for 8 hours' but my understanding was that tampons raised the risk of tss by absorbing the moisture out of your vaginally walls causing cracks that let bacteria in? Cups aren't absorbent so idk if the risk is the same?

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 9, 2023

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

IUD finally removed today. Hadn't realised just how uncomfortable it had been making me feel lol

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The odds are low for both tampons and cups, but there are some case studies where it actually happened with a cup in real women who ended up in the ER/ICU

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4556184/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221425092100127X
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7546563/
https://criticalcareshock.org/files/2020/07/Toxic-shock-syndrome-related-to-the-use-of-a-menstrual-cup-in-a-pediatric-patient.pdf
https://www.pogsjournal.org/article.asp?issn=0116-6069;year=2022;volume=46;issue=1;spage=44;epage=49;aulast=Santos

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Huh, apparently there was a study that was like 'you can grow tss bacteria on a menstrual cup if you soak it in brain heart infusion for 8 hours' but my understanding was that tampons raised the risk of tss by absorbing the moisture out of your vaginally walls causing cracks that let bacteria in? Cups aren't absorbent so idk if the risk is the same?

Also because doesn't the string of a tampon hanging out act like a ladder for bacteria to get in?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I also <3 my fabric pads and feel the same way about the colors, but I'm a sahm and don't have the work problem. Only real downside for me is when I ride my bike with them on, they get jammed up my labia :argh: I got to wear disposable ones if I am going on anything longer than dropping the boy off at school.

Right after I posted this, apparently I didn't snap my last pad on correctly so when I sat down to go to the bathroom, it ended up just floating on the surface of the toilet water. Thankfully I saw before I actually went.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I rinse my cup under the bathtub tap, I think I'd have to get a pressure washer to get known-allergen-for-me orange off of the drat thing. My knees/elbows were itchy, not the bits.

Yeah, this is one part why I started to clean it with soap after every use. I avoided using tampons for TSS and comfort reasons, and once I heard about TSS in cup users I got more cautious. I used to be a rinse person before then.

Cleaning with hand soap, or only rising gave me labia pimples, too. blegh. They stopped once I started with the regular cup cleanings, too. I'd always wash my hands before a change, as well.
I tend to have really sensitive skin (most skincare stings, wooo) so its not surprising.

Thankya. Will have to find the Canadian equivalent (thanks target :canada:) but now I know the search terms.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Jyrraeth posted:

labia pimples

Aaaaaaa? Aaaaaaaaa

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Killingyouguy! posted:

Aaaaaaa? Aaaaaaaaa

it was super gross and hurty, but I get told by a doctor to switch up my hygiene regimen before suspecting anything worse. They're gone now!

But my skin, and mucous membranes in this case, are just kind of capricious with some common products. :shrug:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

here they come
the hormonal acne cysts
here they are

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Thank god for the rain today. I wore my doc martens, usually I wear canvas shoes like vans or converse.

Visited the toilet before starting work, all good, then as I stand after wiping a huge blood clot escapes and lands on my shoe.

Easy but horrifying clean up off leather. I’m a high school teacher so I am eternally grateful that I didn’t have a visible blood stain on my usual yellow vans to start my day.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

As previously posted, I missed a few cycles presumably due to being stressed or whatever. I spent a good deal of the weekend around my husband's extended family, who watched like hawks every time I interacted with one of the little ones. There was a big get together on Sunday at which I was repeatedly greeted with "well I'd love to wish you a happy mother's day bUuUuUt... 👀"

My period finally came today and it felt like a reassuring hug :unsmith: and also a middle finger to everyone else

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

coronatae posted:

As previously posted, I missed a few cycles presumably due to being stressed or whatever. I spent a good deal of the weekend around my husband's extended family, who watched like hawks every time I interacted with one of the little ones. There was a big get together on Sunday at which I was repeatedly greeted with "well I'd love to wish you a happy mother's day bUuUuUt... 👀"

My period finally came today and it felt like a reassuring hug :unsmith: and also a middle finger to everyone else

:wtc:

Also I finally got to see a doctor this week about going on Progesterone. Went to collect the prescription this afternoon only for the chemist to make the unusual move of coming out from behind the till to have ‘the talk’ with me about what Progesterone can do, especially WRT the fact that I’m taking Lamictal for Bipolar 2 disorder. Turns out one can gently caress with the other and I have to keep an eye out for the possibility of heart palpitations and/or fainting for the next few days. Oh joy.

E: this is compounded with the fact that I was at a bad movie night at a friend’s place on Saturday night and someone brought COVID to the party so now everyone’s testing positive, so yeah gonna be fun trying to figure out which symptoms are COVID and which are Progesterone just being weird.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Everything hurts so god drat much :gonk:

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Period is trying to start AND I have food poisoning :cry:

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I AM TRYING TO HELP WRITE MY DAD’S OBITUARY AND GO SEE MY BOYFRIEND BEFORE I FLY BACK FOR THE FUNERAL BUT NOW I HAVE A PRE PERIOD MIGRAINE AND FEVER BECAUSE gently caress MY REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

CherryCola posted:

I AM TRYING TO HELP WRITE MY DAD’S OBITUARY AND GO SEE MY BOYFRIEND BEFORE I FLY BACK FOR THE FUNERAL BUT NOW I HAVE A PRE PERIOD MIGRAINE AND FEVER BECAUSE gently caress MY REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM

lol my period came just in time to ruin things and I’m gonna be out of town for over a week. Please kill me -_-

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013
My uterus is contracting so hard that I feel like I’m gonna go backwards in time if it squeezes any harder. :screamy:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Having a wild PMS. I got the text that my grandma died following a bad fall and kidney failure for the past month right after I stepped out of an interview for a great job that I would love and they invited me back for round 2 and thanks to the anxiety from both those things I have not been sleeping well - also the PMS makes me insomnia too.

Just give me the blood so I can get over it!

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Worst period in years started yesterday. Was so bad I stayed home from work and I thought today was better but it's not.

I have taken some ibuprofen and a few hits off a weed pen and I'm still getting squeeeeeeeeeeeezed from my insides out.

I have an all-hands meeting I have to be present for but as soon as that poo poo wraps I'm going to go the gently caress home.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Continuing to have more fall out from menopause

It's like my body just decided to absolutely start to just quit working right. I'm going to ask that my hormone levels get checked. It's going to take some real arguing I think.

It's like I don't have any resiliency anymore mentally. This isn't EN though so I'll suck it up and just say that I would take.all the hassle of having periods a 1000 times over all this stuff going wrong. :(

I realized that it looked like I'm minimizing others suffering and I'm sorry I didn't meant to!!

I'm missing the good old days of blood and yuck lol

Spinz fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 31, 2023

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Spinz posted:

Continuing to have more fall out from menopause

It's like my body just decided to absolutely start to just quit working right. I'm going to ask that my hormone levels get checked. It's going to take some real arguing I think.

It's like I don't have any resiliency anymore mentally. This isn't EN though so I'll suck it up and just say that I would take.all the hassle of having periods a 1000 times over all this stuff going wrong. :(

I realized that it looked like I'm minimizing others suffering and I'm sorry I didn't meant to!!

I'm missing the good old days of blood and yuck lol

Paxil has been very helpful in reducing some of the side effects of menopause for me, and I also take a couple of gyno recommended supplements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

2 weeks into taking Cerazette and my period has suddenly appeared and is heavy as hell. My last period finished a few days before I started Cerazette and the previous one before that was in loving January, so this is both highly unusual and very poorly timed (my husband and I are going on vacation this week)