Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

In isolation I'm not sure that does necessarily reduce the birth rate, history was replete with people living in horrible shitholes with infant mortality through the roof but they still had lots of kids. I think they are correct that it's giving people, particularly women, any loving alternative is the biggest driver in reducing birth rates. It's just that I think they want a return to the majority of people living in squalor and cranking out kids for the factoriesservice sector? I honestly dunno what they want to use the population for.
Yeah, more welfare doesn't translate into more kids until quite a high level, whereas the biggest factors in reducing birthrates are women and girls completing secondary education, followed by urbanization and access to contraception and family planning.

Until recently (very recently) you couldn't really call that out directly as a 'bad thing' though, you had to cover it in "real empowerment is allowing women to choose to be stay at home mothers and wives" and "I just worry about the effect that all these drugs have on fertility" and "sexual liberation has gone too far, and that's bad for God and the traditional family" and so on, rather than just straight up saying that low birth rates are worse than Russia and China and women need to be barefoot and pregnant.

e: 230CE saw deurbanization in the Catholic Church

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

Ultimately, the war meat grinder

I'm not honestly sure they've thought that far. I think it's pretty much just they want the country to be whiter, and perhaps by extension, to be more powerful. But I'm not sure they have given the actual mechanics of that much thought, any more than they have the entire concept of the demographics argument.

I think they would like the idea of rebuilding the empire but I am not sure they would like the process that would be needed to produce it because that requires a vast state infrastructure producing capable people who can hold an empire together, and everything else they do has worked to dismantle that capability.

I think it's a dream they have that they would feel happier if the world was like that, but there is no coherent long term thought about how to get there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also the army isn't sending out 1000 men firing 3 times a minute any more, it's sending out 3 men firing 1000 times a minute.

These weirdos might fantasize about thin red lines of heroes and Roarke's Drift and all that, but the army doesn't want huge numbers of people with nowhere else to go, and while there is going to be a push for militarization, it'll be in the form of tech industries demonstrating their latest spicy drainpipes in the hands of smaller more specialized armed forces. Boris Johnson's Spaceman Spaff laser rifles that never run out of ammunition are closer to reality than their Victorian fantasies (and neither are really that close).

They want higher birth rates for racial and religious reasons, and to feed to capital but they're not quite sure how.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's a fascist nation throwing thousands of its own men to certain death in a pointless war of aggression using obsolete military tactics and shoddy outdated gear right now. The only difficulty our lot might face in finding something to do is that we'll need boats that don't sink in warm water if they want to do much more than menace the Scots.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Boris Johnson's Spaceman Spaff laser rifles that never run out of ammunition

Was this a thing?

If the Tories are going big on pew-pews , Starman needs to commit to developing working lightsabers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

There's a fascist nation throwing thousands of its own men to certain death in a pointless war of aggression using obsolete military tactics and shoddy outdated gear right now. The only difficulty our lot might face in finding something to do is that we'll need boats that don't sink in warm water if they want to do much more than menace the Scots.

My understanding is that that's a product of having an already grossly overstaffed military and piles and piles of old soviet equipment, neither of which the UK particularly has to my knowledge. And every attempt to boost military recruitment fails spectacularly because people would rather do anything else.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Was this a thing?
It was :allears:
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1329402189257863170

Dabir posted:

And they're demonstrating how well that works against modern equipment.

Ukraine is like Top Gear for miltech companies at the moment, they're falling over one another to make sure that it's one of their branded devices seen blowing up some 50 year old tank.

I'm not sure even the poo poo brained idiots at the NatCon want to follow that example when they can bung billions to a tech company and send a few hundred guys to terrorize somewhere in the global south instead.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Failed Imagineer posted:

Was this a thing?

If the Tories are going big on pew-pews , Starman needs to commit to developing working lightsabers

Another country will have to do it as ours has had enough of experts and people getting an education.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I...see... :kstare:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again I place my hope in the idea if there is a british spirit it's a kind of sullen pettiness that makes people want to bunk off and do as little as possible rather than what some prick in a big hat is yelling at them to do.

If they did somehow ramp up the birth rate I would hope it leads to every road in the country filled with caravans before it leads to the UK managing to invade anywhere other than by aggressive holidaymaking.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
jesus christ, these sick loving ghouls
https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1658037980462739467

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If that were the case we would be seeing an increase of some kind, rather than a decrease among all groups other than men in their 50s (which is probably from someone loving up the economy).

Literally just making poo poo up and then declaring it to be true because they said it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

They really seem down on pop music at this insane conference of insane people.

https://twitter.com/broderly/status/1658108814413971456?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Of course all this ethnic-facist V for Vendetta poo poo is getting an easy ride in the media as just a Conservative faction battle. If it was Labour discussing the mildest of reforms it would be a full blown communist Revolution

Marxist...Lennonism...?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Marx in question:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

My understanding is that that's a product of having an already grossly overstaffed military and piles and piles of old soviet equipment, neither of which the UK particularly has to my knowledge. And every attempt to boost military recruitment fails spectacularly because people would rather do anything else.

Right, but they want the grossly overstaffed military, that's what the birth rate is supposed to fix. I don't think they know anything about equipment

Guavanaut posted:

It was :allears:
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1329402189257863170

And they're demonstrating how well that works against modern equipment.

Ukraine is like Top Gear for miltech companies at the moment, they're falling over one another to make sure that it's one of their branded devices seen blowing up some 50 year old tank.

I'm not sure even the poo poo brained idiots at the NatCon want to follow that example when they can bung billions to a tech company and send a few hundred guys to terrorize somewhere in the global south instead.

If losing was a deterrent, Russia would have left by now. War is the end for people like that, not the means.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I assumed that was because fascists abhor weakness and always believe their own conspiracies.

So Russia assumed that Ukraine was the land of gay Jewish nazi drug addicts, and the whole structure would collapse as soon as the doors were kicked in, this did not happen, but leaving means that they're losers, and Putin doesn't get much job security from that.

As long as they're still there, they can be the rugged defenders of [some stupid poo poo] against the forces of [some other stupid poo poo].

I guess it's highly possible that these fuckwits would do the exact same by starting a peer war with no way to save face, but I can't see them wanting the birth rate up so that they might be able to do that in 18 years time. People that delusional think they can win right now even if their army is 10 guys and a Toyota Surf.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also the UK is in particular need of equipment because the only place you might be able to annex without it would be the isle of mann.

The UK has I think two ships designed for amphibious operations and less than twenty combat surface ships, which is your hard limit on ability to invade places unless michael gove can call up the deep ones to do the invasion for him. You can't attack across a wider front or move millions of troops into battle unless you build the ships to get people there and the tories have systematically annihilated the capacity to do that. So the most credible UK expansion plan would have to involve sending the entire army through the eurostar in disguise.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Panorama seem to be coming at this from a completely wrong angle though, people are seeking those services because they know something isn't right, and they know that they can't afford to wait four years for it.
Wonder if it's laying the groundwork to ban those other private clinics that give out diagnoses and treatment to people who can't afford the NHS' abysmal waiting times.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 15, 2023

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Supermarkets investigated over food and fuel prices

can't believe that the supermarkets talking about how "prices are going to start falling any day now, they really are, we promise" are actually full of poo poo

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Gove and Mogg will come up with a plan to repurpose the stockpile of confiscated small boats, conscript all benefit claimants and Liverpudlians, and do a patriotic reverse Dunkirk on Putin

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Wonder if it's laying the groundwork to ban those other private clinics that give out diagnoses and treatment to people who can't afford the NHS' abysmal waiting times.
The BBC has been making GBS threads on GenderGP and so on for a while now, but yes there's definitely a connection, even if it's not a conscious one.
https://twitter.com/Transsomething/status/1658119140517855235

Also one of the UK's best known neuroscientists has now weighed in to tear the thing apart too.

https://twitter.com/garwboy/status/1658113052691124226

fuctifino posted:

do a patriotic reverse Dunkirk
Going to check Urban Dictionary

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Also the UK is in particular need of equipment because the only place you might be able to annex without it would be the isle of mann.

The UK has I think two ships designed for amphibious operations and less than twenty combat surface ships, which is your hard limit on ability to invade places unless michael gove can call up the deep ones to do the invasion for him. You can't attack across a wider front or move millions of troops into battle unless you build the ships to get people there and the tories have systematically annihilated the capacity to do that. So the most credible UK expansion plan would have to involve sending the entire army through the eurostar in disguise.

I do not believe that Jacob Rees-Mogg knows this or would understand it if you told him

I just about believe that he knows you need boats to cross water

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Going to check Urban Dictionary

I think it's where you unload thousands of seamen all at once

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Also one of the UK's best known neuroscientists has now weighed in to tear the thing apart too.

He tears apart one possible interpretation of the article. As one of the replies points out, there's nothing in the piece saying that he actually lied to any of the professionals he spoke to.
Possibly he did, possibly he didn't. I'm not going to argue against Panorama being a high-profile version of a Daily Mail scare story.
But it is notable that lawyers for two of the private companies involved admit that the process as it's supposed to happen wasn't followed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If all it does is gets some of the scammier private companies to shape up, then that's not too bad. If it gets additional funding for the NHS mental/neuro health teams that's good.

But the methodology seems so shoddy, and the scare portion so similar to what they did with GenderGP and trans panic, that I still can't really give them the benefit of the doubt.

It'd be nice if they'd done a proper comparison with how the NHS would handle it without the game being given away, but I guess if they did they wouldn't be able to go to air until 2029.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
There's a problem in mental health and learning difficulty/disorder diagnosis in general that the diagnoses are a best fit, descriptive term that doesn't describe a physiological problem. It feels controversial to have sympathy for the issues raised by ADHD sceptics and I hate the idea of invalidating anyone's personal situation. It just feels a little too convenient that this complex, poorly understood condition has a solution which for some reason is this specific amphetamine (costing £50+ a month) sold by some of the biggest companies in the world who have a vested interest in loving us over.

There's a longstanding issue with over prescription of antidepressants and the medicalisation of poor living conditions/poverty; and the opiod crisis.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I agree that it's a little suspicious that a specific amphetamine (costing £50+ a month) that's under patent gets repeatedly promoted over other more generic amphetamines (costing 50p a month) when there's never been any decent proof that there's a difference in quality of life outcomes, but if the BBC wanted to recommend benzedrine then they could have just done that.

This feels personal and political in a different way.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
sleep well, UKMT
https://twitter.com/5DollarFeminist/status/1658199122761883659

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/15/no-longer-relevant-to-the-uk-list-of-600-eu-laws-to-be-scrapped-is-published

quote:

The list includes rules governing habitat regulations dating from 1996, covering saltmarshes and river fringes and orders relating to environmentally sensitive areas including places in the Broads, Pennine Dales, Somerset Levels and Moors, South Downs and West Penwith.

In explanatory notes the government says these rules are no longer operational or “no longer relevant to the UK”. The former diplomat Lord Kerr, who was behind the article 50 rule that allowed Brexit, said he believed most of nearly 600 laws to be revoked by the government in its published list are “defunct”, but said he agreed with peers across the House that parliamentary scrutiny was important. It is currently at report stage in the House of Lords.

A significant chunk of the repealed laws relates to fisheries, including sustainable fisheries partnership agreements with a wide range of countries from the Gambia to Seychelles. Other legislation relates to fish populations in the Black Sea and Mediterranean.

There is also a wide range of laws being repealed that relate to “biocidal products” such as disinfectants, wood preservatives and insect repellants. Among the chemicals listed are acrolein, indoxacarb and creosote.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The UK is now one of those failed SimCity playthroughs where you end up legalising gambling and defunding all the utilities and getting paid to site a toxic waste dump in the city, except in SimCity when you gently caress up badly enough you get turfed out

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Javad Marandi: Tory donor's link to massive money laundering probe

quote:

A top businessman whose foreign companies were part of a global money laundering investigation is a major donor to the Conservative Party.

Javad Marandi, who has an OBE for business and philanthropy, can be named after losing a 19-month legal battle with the BBC to remain anonymous.

Mr Marandi strongly denies wrongdoing and isn't subject to criminal sanction.

The judgement against him is a milestone for freedom of the press amid growing privacy laws in the courts.

A spokesman for the businessman said: "Mr Marandi is deeply disappointed at the court's decision to lift reporting restrictions, knowing the reputational damage that is likely to follow."

A National Crime Agency (NCA) investigation found some of Mr Marandi's overseas interests had played a key role in an elaborate money-laundering scheme involving one of Azerbaijan's richest oligarchs.

:allears:

quote:

His ties to the Conservative Party emerged through reports of his generous donations. Between 2014 and 2020, he gave £756,300, according to Electoral Commission records.

In February 2022, the Sunday Times reported he was a member of a group of major donors who had access to senior party members, including to then prime minister, Boris Johnson.

quote:

Along with his wife, he heads the Marandi Foundation, which funds the Prince and Princess of Wales's charity.

Prince Andrew has a lot of dodgy links to Azerbaijan too.

:allears:

The international money laundering operation centred around Azerbaijan has its own wikipedia page.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 16, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I thought checking the UKMT at 00:49 couldn't possibly be the worst way to wind down on my way to bed.

You are lucky that I will likely just remember the disappointment.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: I'll replace the worthless text with this :nms: image

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 16, 2023

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
i'd prefer shrek peen images all day every day over... that.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Switzerland posted:

i'd prefer shrek peen images all day every day over... that.

Just remember that these would not have existed were it not for your inspired words :nms: :nws: https://imgur.com/a/dol3xlO :nms: :nws:

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
what have i done.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

In isolation I'm not sure that does necessarily reduce the birth rate, history was replete with people living in horrible shitholes with infant mortality through the roof but they still had lots of kids. I think they are correct that it's giving people, particularly women, any loving alternative is the biggest driver in reducing birth rates. It's just that I think they want a return to the majority of people living in squalor and cranking out kids for the factoriesservice sector? I honestly dunno what they want to use the population for.

Cheap non immigrant labour to take care of all the olds who have all the money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The issue with that is that if you had guaranteed care when you were old that's removing an incentive to have children.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

They really seem down on pop music at this insane conference of insane people.

https://twitter.com/broderly/status/1658108814413971456?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Of course all this ethnic-facist V for Vendetta poo poo is getting an easy ride in the media as just a Conservative faction battle. If it was Labour discussing the mildest of reforms it would be a full blown communist Revolution

For one thing the Labour equivalent would literally be National Socialism :hitler:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Such a cool country. Love it