Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The entire video posted above fact checks you

Yes, and the BIOS in the video is a beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Right but the point is that they're saying "here is a fix for the exploding CPUs" but labelling it as beta and saying "NO WARRANTY, BETA FIRMWARE"

So your only option is to either run the old firmware and risk blowing up your CPU, or run the firmware that fixes it which also voids your warranty for.......reasons?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Right but the point is that they're saying "here is a fix for the exploding CPUs" but labelling it as beta and saying "NO WARRANTY, BETA FIRMWARE"

So your only option is to either run the old firmware and risk blowing up your CPU, or run the firmware that fixes it which also voids your warranty for.......reasons?

I guess. The firmware seemed like a buggy mess in the video, although that’s probably just ASUS being ASUS. It’s also why I have had exactly one ASUS motherboard in my life. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My reaction to the GN video is that I’m waiting for the x6D CPUs with cache extending into the astral plane.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Beve Stuscemi posted:

AMD should be legit pissed at ASUS for this

gigabyte isn't that much better from what i see with my b650

https://valid.x86.fr/ba510z

wargames fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 11, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Do companies like ASUS, Newegg, MSI etc ever watch these callout videos made by people like Steve or is it just a “hunker down and hope Joe Gamer doesn’t notice” sorta thing?

I remember Steve got some interview with some Newegg suits but I remember the interview being everyone speaking in cover-your-rear end corporate speak and I’m not sure if anything happened from that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

buglord posted:

Do companies like ASUS, Newegg, MSI etc ever watch these callout videos made by people like Steve or is it just a “hunker down and hope Joe Gamer doesn’t notice” sorta thing?

I remember Steve got some interview with some Newegg suits but I remember the interview being everyone speaking in cover-your-rear end corporate speak and I’m not sure if anything happened from that.

The Newegg visit was in response to a callout video not dissimilar to the the recent Asus one. Newegg did make changes, supposedly. The problem is that churn is high enough there that they’ll probably revert to poor processes for “cost savings” soon enough though.

GN called out MSI quite some time ago, I completely forget what it was about but you may notice that MSI doesn’t run ads or send them hardware. There is a reason for that.

The only problem would be if all the AIBs and mobo vendors were pissed off at Steve, then he couldn’t have day 1 reviews anymore.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They make some minor changes to take the heat off then immediately revert to type because they know this is the only channel doing this and they can’t follow up on everything. Apparently Asus wanted a meeting to discuss the issues but stopped responding to emails when GN said they’d want to record the meeting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

njsykora posted:

Asus wanted a meeting to discuss the issues but stopped responding to emails when GN said they’d want to record the meeting.

lol, great pr rep there

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

hobbesmaster posted:

The only problem would be if all the AIBs and mobo vendors were pissed off at Steve, then he couldn’t have day 1 reviews anymore.

I feel like if he managed to piss off all of them whichever was least incensed would get over it for the chance to be the reference board for GN's CPU reviews.

It is pretty funny that MSI is still mad about their callout though (I think this was about them trying to bribe reviewers to cover their products, specifically laptops, more favorably?).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

lol, great pr rep there

Their hands are probably tied waiting for a legal clearance

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

power crystals posted:

I feel like if he managed to piss off all of them whichever was least incensed would get over it for the chance to be the reference board for GN's CPU reviews.

It is pretty funny that MSI is still mad about their callout though (I think this was about them trying to bribe reviewers to cover their products, specifically laptops, more favorably?).

wasn't it MSI threatening to blacklist hardware unboxed over a bad review that got everything going?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

hobbesmaster posted:

Their hands are probably tied waiting for a legal clearance

So they couldn’t respond with a boilerplate “looking into it, we’ll get back to you”?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

wasn't it MSI threatening to blacklist hardware unboxed over a bad review that got everything going?

it was MSI trying to bribe TechTeamGB over a laptop review

the issue with Hardware Unboxed was NVidia saying they were going to stop sending review hardware to HWUB if they didn't review them along lines NVidia dictated

to go back to buglord's original question, NZXT having to address their fire hazard cases was also one of the big results of GN's callout videos

(goddamn why do I have all this techtuber drama retained in my head)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gradenko_2000 posted:

(goddamn why do I have all this techtuber drama retained in my head)

That's not drama, it's the actually relevant stuff. Useful info like "this company made a thing that lit on fire and had to be shamed into a recall" or "hmmm all these day 1 reviews that follow the nvidia template are probably not worth much, best wait a week for the unbiased ones".

Plenty of other poo poo this thread gets stuck on is bullshit drama tho.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
JayzTwoCents just put a video out saying he's done working with and using Asus anything going forward on his channel.

The "straw" for him was the latest Asus BIOS voiding the warranty.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Koskun posted:

JayzTwoCents just put a video out saying he's done working with and using Asus anything going forward on his channel.

The "straw" for him was the latest Asus BIOS voiding the warranty.

who the hell pays any attention to that racist chud these days

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Jay just dropped ASUS as a sponsor. Apparently he's been having a lot of behind the scenes issues with them for the past few years and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ-QVOKGVyM

e:fb

Arivia posted:

I'm out of the loop, what racist/chud thing did he do?

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 12, 2023

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

KodiakRS posted:

I'm out of the loop, what racist/chud thing did he do?

He said if BLM protesters came on his property he'd shoot them.

Also, he often tweets his racist chud takes like this thread of poo poo-that-didn't-happen examples that reek of "white lives matter" energy.

https://twitter.com/jayztwocents/status/907240872281911296

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Arivia posted:

IIRC his channel has stagnated and his numbers have slowed a lot. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. He's a deeply sad, angry person despite having the easiest job in the world, a big house and a loving family.

There was a video, ages ago, where he basically copped to being miserable until he got success in the form of his youtube channel. So the good job, weight loss, wife and kids weren't enough, he needed adulation from strangers.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

drat thats funny.

its not like assembling pc’s from parts is the most difficult job on earth. amassing a huge following over doing something mundane is a skill for sure. good for him for generating a crowd of onlookers.

but then being miserable the entire god drat time…

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

mewse posted:

I'm going to get flamed for discussing grooming amongst goons, but Steve never had a real job. His business started in his mom's basement. I'm pretty sure he'd consider a shirt with buttons on it to be selling out.

i recall on some live steam a person in chat asked him about getting a haircut (or something) and said the only thing he cares about is pc hardware

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

But what about mountain bikes??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gnatalie posted:

i recall on some live steam a person in chat asked him about getting a haircut (or something) and said the only thing he cares about is pc hardware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg0IukE9_bA

edit: also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQRA3hxDk2g

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 12, 2023

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I want to see a crossover between Steve from GN and Seth from berm peak.

yummycheese posted:

but then being miserable the entire god drat time…

Bit of a derail but that's not how mental illness, including depression, works. Just because you have a lot of money, or a loving family, or successful career, there is no guarantee that you're going to be happy or satisfied.

(being depressed isn't license to be a poo poo head on twitter though)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KodiakRS posted:

I want to see a crossover between Steve from GN and Seth from berm peak.

Oh man this would be absolutely great. A crossover of my two hobbies.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Tyv-0hj6A

My new favorite motherboard company :lol:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TechYesCity reviewed those and found that the VRMs were way too underpowered for the CPUs they were trying to support and it ran into thermal issues

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I unironically love the insane salvage/laptop boards that these companies make. Sure they're usually poo poo but it's a product you're never going to get from one of the "real" board vendors and it's a neat achievement of electrical engineering given they're generally having to work off a combination of reverse engineering and whatever scraps of documentation escape to the public.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

TechYesCity reviewed those and found that the VRMs were way too underpowered for the CPUs they were trying to support and it ran into thermal issues

It seems to underperform in GN's benchmarks a bit, so I can see it (relative to what I'd expect from six alder lake performance cores eating over 100 watts). I wish they looked into the VRM performance a bit more because of that. It also would be interesting to see cooling performance tested—is their heat spreader effective?

Sacrificing the top M.2 slot in order to fit a couple more VRM phases would be a worthwhile sacrifice if it helps real-world performance, I think.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
It's cool to see them recycling perfectly fine components in this way rather than letting them just become e-waste like in America or Europe

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Shipon posted:

It's cool to see them recycling perfectly fine components in this way rather than letting them just become e-waste like in America or Europe

It’s also funny to see these salvagers disclose all the potential issues and warts before you buy, compared to bigger companies ghosting and doubling down. I get why it happens, but it’s still refreshing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
ladies and gentlemen ...

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1658364437298905089

... we got him

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

this isn't about raja koduri

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Thanks Steve

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Thanks Steve

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Theve

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GN has a new site with a solid URL.
http://gamers.nexus

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thanks Steve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

thanks steve