Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I gave Modern an earnest shot and just didn’t like the feel of it, but some characters like Lilly honestly seem made for it. I imagine I’ll probably use it on a character by character basis. It’s nice to have the option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I hope the lobby has a 'I'm using modern controls!' quick chat that I can spam at people like the Mario Kart tilt controls one.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

chumbler posted:

Looking forward to all the people who joked about people who don't like finger puzzles now getting smoked by their superior tactical ability with that obstacle removed.

If you lose to someone using modern controls just play better.

It's just really weird to me to have two wildly different control schemes that have very different advantages (that vary widely depending on the character). Like, one of them is going to be better, full stop. If it's Classic, fine, I guess Modern is for newbies (I have issues with that design but at least it doesn't affect the competitive aspect of the game). If it's Modern, then what's the point of Classic? If it varies depending on the character, does that mean some characters aren't for beginners, or I hope you like using Modern if you want to use Luke?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I kind of see it more as a refinement of MVC3's LMHS layout.

Or rather, adapting that style of controls to something more accessible and mappable to a bog standard controller to lower the barrier of entry.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 16, 2023

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i really hope sf7 has classic controls and it's not just modern

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

i really hope sf7 has classic controls and it's not just modern

SF6 ain't even out yet. Let's wait a little bit on worrying about that poo poo.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

instantrunoffvote posted:

SF6 ain't even out yet. Let's wait a little bit on worrying about that poo poo.

worrying is all i do

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's like disproving plagarism, right? They can accuse you of it, but plagarism will not grant you the breadth of knowledge required to explain and discuss subject matter on a high level.

Similarly, they can accuse you of cheating with Modern controls, but Modern controls will not replicate an ability to condition, read, and/or trap an opponent when making those moment-to-moment decisions in a match.

(And if they are not conditionable, readable, or trappable, either they're goddamn Goichi or some poo poo, or they're just unga-bunga, and you'd best not lose against unga-bunga under any circumstances.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 16, 2023

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

morestuff posted:

Looks like Gief / Lilly do in fact have one button inputs for their 360 moves in Modern mode so we’ll see how that works out

Apparently Gief only has heavy SPD with modern, no light (which has the best range) or medium. I doubt that makes it worthwhile for better players.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think an element of modern controls that's not yet figured out is how to play against it. Without knowing exactly how modern controls work, the fact that there's a 'Dedicated Special Button', but only one of them, means that a modern controls user is probably a bit more predictable even if they've got a much more manageable execution ask. And right now we've basically only got people practicing with modern controls, not against it.

A reliable instant DP is probably going to mean less if you know with 100% certainty that said instant DP is their only option.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

You can do all your specials with modern controls. It’s just Smash Bros inputs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah I thought modern controls just meant Streets of Rage inputs with direction+special for a move.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

You can do all your specials with modern controls. It’s just Smash Bros inputs.

Didn't we just discuss how you can't do all of your specials with modern controls?
Gief can't do light or medium SPD for example.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Of course Gief can still do light and medium SPD on modern by doing the full 360 motion. But just having heavy SPD as easy input doesn't really add much, when it's not really used outside punishes due to the tiny range.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Didn't we just discuss how you can't do all of your specials with modern controls?
Gief can't do light or medium SPD for example.
I was replying to the poster above me who thought Modern controls meant you could only do one special move (e.g. DP) rather than all the specials in a character’s toolkit. I didn’t mean all as in “all variants of a special move” - just “all” as in shoryuken, hadouken, tatsu, etc.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Cat Machine posted:

I was replying to the poster above me who thought Modern controls meant you could only do one special move (e.g. DP) rather than all the specials in a character’s toolkit. I didn’t mean all as in “all variants of a special move” - just “all” as in shoryuken, hadouken, tatsu, etc.

Yeah, and this wasn't something too clear to me, thanks for the clarification!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I saw that Retsu is in world tour mode and thought holy poo poo, SF1 representation, awesome! Then I saw the clip...

https://twitter.com/Rooflemonger/status/1656864972817743872?s=20

Would have been nice of them to have actually modeled him and not had an intern create him in the character creator.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

I hope the lobby has a 'I'm using modern controls!' quick chat that I can spam at people like the Mario Kart tilt controls one.

I won't use modern controls most likely, but I WILL spam this :hai:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Deejay is gonna be pretty much useless with Modern, right? He won't be able to feint at all.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Dave posted:

I saw that Retsu is in world tour mode and thought holy poo poo, SF1 representation, awesome! Then I saw the clip...

https://twitter.com/Rooflemonger/status/1656864972817743872?s=20

Would have been nice of them to have actually modeled him and not had an intern create him in the character creator.

I guess this is where Joe and Geki will show up lol.

Secretly hoping in the future that a semi-retired Sagat and Balrog that are actually modeled are "boss characters" in World Tour. I too do not want the 4 Kings to return, storywise Bison should stay dead/we have a cool Psycho power man already, and guys like Vega do not really fit the "street fights" theme here. Would much rather take a bunch of Alpha/Third Strike people like adult Makoto, older master Guy, maybe this time we can get a version of Alex that isn't a grotesque hunched monster.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

Secretly hoping in the future that a semi-retired Sagat and Balrog that are actually modeled are "boss characters" in World Tour. I too do not want the 4 Kings to return, storywise Bison should stay dead/we have a cool Psycho power man already, and guys like Vega do not really fit the "street fights" theme here. Would much rather take a bunch of Alpha/Third Strike people like adult Makoto, older master Guy, maybe this time we can get a version of Alex that isn't a grotesque hunched monster.

An older Sakura who decides being a Real Adult sucks and she should in fact be a Street Fighter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dawgstar posted:

An older Sakura who decides being a Real Adult sucks and she should in fact be a Street Fighter.

I'm picturing the reveal trailer basically being Falling Down but with punching, and I'm on board.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I would like to see a reformed Balrog selling grilling machines and doing lovely exhibition matches with YouTubers

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

I guess this is where Joe and Geki will show up lol.

You take this back! Vega's beauty always belongs even if YOU don't deserve it!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

and guys like Vega do not really fit the "street fights" theme here.

Get outta here.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I still cant believe they put alexs legs on backwards

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DLC Inc posted:

guys like Vega do not really fit the "street fights" theme

He is literally a late 70s/early 80s henchman, wouldn't look out of place in any of those flicks.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Vega haters should be forced to play against st Vega and cvs2 Vega until they change imo

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
ICYMI: Brook adapter for PS5 later this month:

https://www.brookaccessory.com/products/wingmanfgc/index.html

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's almost certainly gonna sell out with a lot of the major tournaments moving to PS5 so I gotta imagine you wanna get it asap

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Why shouldn't old characters come back? I don't get it.
Everyone who main'ed Bison/Vega/Sagat ex, has a sunk cost into the franchise with those.

After being a shoryuken Ryu/Ken, i switched over to Sagat, then Bison.. and for Bison not being here, sucks for me. (but Sf5 was a ruined bison, might as well been someone else.)
I got a friend who plays Vega, so both of us are equally screwed. But we still have some old school, with Chun-li, Blanka, Zangief, Ehonda, Guile & Cammy. phew!

It's like, i picked Law back in the Tekken 1-2-3 days, and now, when I play the new 7, i can reliably pick Law, and know his play-style and most of his tricks, without much effort.
I have no clue who the rest of the rooster is, but I know Law, and can kick some rear end with him, which makes it fun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Descar posted:

Why shouldn't old characters come back? I don't get it.
Everyone who main'ed Bison/Vega/Sagat ex, has a sunk cost into the franchise with those.

After being a shoryuken Ryu/Ken, i switched over to Sagat, then Bison.. and for Bison not being here, sucks for me. (but Sf5 was a ruined bison, might as well been someone else.)
I got a friend who plays Vega, so both of us are equally screwed. But we still have some old school, with Chun-li, Blanka, Zangief, Ehonda, Guile & Cammy. phew!

It's like, i picked Law back in the Tekken 1-2-3 days, and now, when I play the new 7, i can reliably pick Law, and know his play-style and most of his tricks, without much effort.
I have no clue who the rest of the rooster is, but I know Law, and can kick some rear end with him, which makes it fun.

Because there are not infinite resources to keep bringing back old characters while also introducing new ones since they can't keep rehashing the same game every time despite what some boomers might want. SF5 had 46 characters by the end and there's still another probably 20 or so characters from elsewhere in the series they still could've added, and that may be an underestimate.

And let's be real, nobody will miss Vega. Vega players are a tier below even Blanka players in respectability.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

please bring back Makoto.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

chumbler posted:

And let's be real, nobody will miss Vega. Vega players are a tier below even Blanka players in respectability.

:hmmyes:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't see how Vega doesn't fit the street fighter aesthetic any less than the electric green gorilla man

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
Look I love Claw the most of all the Shadaloo assholes and want him to return, but I'd rather he be murdered casually in a cut scene than get the sfv version of him back.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

brainSnakes posted:

Look I love Claw the most of all the Shadaloo assholes and want him to return, but I'd rather he be murdered casually in a cut scene than get the sfv version of him back.

What's wrong with Vega without charge moves, good movement speed or good buttons? :downs:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Anyone else trying to predownload the beta? Even after signing up and linking my steam account the download link on the website is greyed out and on steam I can put the beta in my cart but not actually check out.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I just did it right now. Just go to the SF6 steam store page and click on "Request Access" for the beta. Then it let me install it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1952120/Street_Fighter_6__Open_Beta/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Nup. Clicked on the link and it opened te page in Steam, then when I clicked on 'play now' the popup that usuallly installs came up for a split second and then disappeared. Happens every time I try. Clicking on the Wishlist button on the page brings up an "oops" dialogue". Must be issues specifically in Australia or something, I dunno.