Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

STAC Goat posted:

Also I hate those RLM guys and think they’re always just reading negative poo poo into stuff. That’s how commentators like them make their money. Gotta make noise. Can’t just like or not like something.

I'm the one who posted the video and
1) They actually gave the film a very positive review
2) The RLM guys are on for like 5 seconds, the meat is a clip from the movie.

Daduzi fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

CelticPredator posted:

They said the scene in the elevator was gunn being passive aggressive at what the russos did.

And I believe it because he’s said he didn’t like the choices of infinity war.

I know it's a press tour, but he's not saying that now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I know it's a press tour, but he's not saying that now.

He said it during the press tour in an story for the Hollywood reporter

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/feature/guardians-of-the-galaxy-chris-pratt-cast-saved-james-gunn-1235401687/

hollywood reporter posted:

The Guardians will undoubtedly continue as a property after Gunn completes the transition to DC, and the new film hints at a future, albeit with a different lineup of Guardians. Gunn is enthusiastic about a handoff, though protective. When the characters appeared in the Avengers two-part epic directed by Joe and Anthony Russo, Gunn saw disconnects with certain storylines. “They did some things that I wouldn’t have wanted,” says Gunn of the films. (Yes, he says, Star-Lord would have killed Gamora if she asked him to; no, he would not have punched Thanos and doomed the universe.)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Even if that was a passive aggressive speech from the director in plain sight, it made sense. Infinity War and Endgame went really badly for Quill and he was already sort of a passive aggressive little poo poo before, all petulant that Gamora is doing guns now, etc.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gunn is right

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I can't see Gunn being *that* mad, given that Volume 3 demonstrated that Endgame and Infinity war produced lots of interesting hooks that let him do fun stuff with these characters.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/status/1657508111173799936

He would've been good if they went full "Demon in a Bottle."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

live with fruit posted:

https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/status/1657508111173799936

He would've been good if they went full "Demon in a Bottle."

I bet he's upset that he passed lol

Though really I think RDJ's role in how successful the Marvel films really can't be stated enough. I dunno if they're as successful with another actor

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I really don't think Owen would have been able to pull off a lot of what RDJ did

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

I bet he's upset that he passed lol

He made The Knick while RDJ was playing Iron Man for the third and fourth times so hopefully he's OK with his choice.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Honestly I can't even imagine what a Clive Owen Tony stark looks like

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

site posted:

Suaver.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

site posted:

Can he do an American accent?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Wasn’t there a moment in the 00s when Tom Cruise was supposed to be Tony Stark?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Would this mean every animated and video game version of Ironman would be doing a bad Clive Owen impression instead of a bad RDJ one?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Wasn’t there a moment in the 00s when Tom Cruise was supposed to be Tony Stark?
90s_Avengers.jpg

Brad Pitt Thor is one of my faves.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

90s_Avengers.jpg

Brad Pitt Thor is one of my faves.

Fraser would've been good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I like Clive Owen a lot, but RDJ was just perfect casting and owns the role completely. Owen's still on my shortlist for Doom though

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I can’t express how much I *like* Clive Owen, while simultaneously respecting the truth that he’s a mostly… “okay” actor, who would have been a loving awful Tony Stark.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I see Owen's Stark like his John Thackery, an eccentrically brilliant rear end in a top hat.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Clive Owen is great and has done some cracking stuff but I can't picture him as Tony Stark at all. That said, I'm certainly wondering now what might have been, I can't help but think it might have been a better thing for the character of Tony Stark overall.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Gotta love the alternate dimension where we get that, Ed Norton stays on as Hulk, Terrence Howard Rhodey, Glenn Howerton Star-Lord... actually that last one is the only one I'd prefer, but still.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like Howerton would have been way too much of a dick. Pratt was obviously chosen because he had already proven he could do the dim witted heart of gold doofus over a full on jerk.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

theironjef posted:

Gotta love the alternate dimension where we get that, Ed Norton stays on as Hulk, Terrence Howard Rhodey, Glenn Howerton Star-Lord... actually that last one is the only one I'd prefer, but still.

I actually prefer Howard's Rhodey. Cheadle plays him like he hates Tony.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Iron Man 2 is actually two hours about Rhodey trying to convince Tony that 1x1=2

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Howard brought nothing to the character for me, Cheadle was at least fun

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Arist posted:

Howard brought nothing to the character for me, Cheadle was at least fun

I think there's a warmth to Howard's Rhodey. He played the character's relief when he found Tony very well. I imagine that he would've played the fight in 2 with more heartbreak. Cheadle played it like an exasperated babysitter.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, the attitude you're describing is real, but I appreciated it because Cheadle felt more like an actual peer to Tony

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"Exasperated babysitter" works very well with RDJ's Tony.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Catching up on MCU stuff: did they just Green Screen Quill into scenes for the xmas spexoal? Feels like Pratt was checked out (and really bronzed for some reason).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

live with fruit posted:

As he should

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

live with fruit posted:

Cheadle plays him as a good friend who is exasperated that his friend is making his job and life way harder than it needs to be. Which is pretty much on point.

I don't know if this was a script thing or a Cheadle thing, but Cheadle also kind of rolls his eyes and plays it much more sarcastically when other people are kissing Stark's rear end, like he knows who he really is and has seen him gently caress up so many times that the rear end-kissing is ridiculous.

Iron Man 1 basically had no script and Howard was doing his own thing, so it's not really clear if that is intentional or not. But, it is a nice bit of characterization that Cheadle does.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Iron Man 1 basically had no script and Howard was doing his own thing

The "Iron Man had no script and was basically improv" story is from one throwaway line from one interview that Jeff Bridges gave. It absolutely had a script, and I'd say about 95 percent of it made it onto the screen, based on my memory of the last time I read it. The actors were given range to riff on their lines, but there was a script.

A $140 million effects-heavy movie (a movie that was literally Marvel's moon shot; it's likely they would have had to declare bankruptcy if it didn't perform) does not get made without a script.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Timby posted:

The "Iron Man had no script and was basically improv" story is from one throwaway line from one interview that Jeff Bridges gave. It absolutely had a script, and I'd say about 95 percent of it made it onto the screen, based on my memory of the last time I read it. The actors were given range to riff on their lines, but there was a script.

A $140 million effects-heavy movie (a movie that was literally Marvel's moon shot; it's likely they would have had to declare bankruptcy if it didn't perform) does not get made without a script.

Yeah, I wasn't being literal. But, Jeff Bridges and Jon Favreau both said that they were working on the script as they were shooting. They apparently scrapped the original script right after they started filming and were re-writing and ad-libbing large portions of the movie because they were working on the script as they were filming and had a tight budget and timeline. Marvel had basically put the entire company up as leverage for a $300 million loan from Goldman Sachs to go all in on the movie studio to try and avoid bankruptcy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

According to Mike Mignola the new Hellboy movie has finished principal photography. This one is an adaptation of The Crooked Man story with Mignola actually working on the script.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

muscles like this! posted:

According to Mike Mignola the new Hellboy movie has finished principal photography. This one is an adaptation of The Crooked Man story with Mignola actually working on the script.

Oh poo poo. Now I am excited.

I just wish Ron Perlman was younger because drat he was the best HB.

Actually gently caress it, for once I won't roll my eyes at a fully CGI main character if that means Ron voices him

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Has Hellboy been cast? Who's playing him?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Has Hellboy been cast? Who's playing him?

Some guy named Jack Kesy.

It’s being directed by the guy who co-directed the Crank movies and solo directed the surprisingly decent Nic Cage movie Mom & Dad, but everything about it seems like it’s being made as cheaply as possible and I’m sure it’ll be forgettable at best.

Mignola’s been talking it up a bit, but Mignola also has a real grudge against the previous live-action adaptations, so :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 16, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Maybe it'll be like Punisher: War Zone where it's made so cheaply, but with a ton of fun, so it evens out into a decent film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Mignola’s been talking it up a bit, but Mignola also has a real grudge against the previous live-action adaptations, so :shrug:

Even the stuff starring Perlman? I can get the Harbour movie.