Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dear god i am terrible at goalie

hell i'm pretty poor at mid too. smacking people and striking at weird angles for goals, that at least i can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SKULL.GIF posted:

I really hope these streamer emotes are going to be removed at some point. They're easily the worst part of this game, particularly the ones of their actual faces.

They're dreadful. The human faces especially just need to go its so grim, esp since so many of the in-house made emotes are so loving good.

That said my #1 suggested fix at the moment is "change the of the bind from "Gear Ability" To "Energy Surge"" because I've explained to one person three times that that keybind has nothing to do with Eject Button or Pummelers, those things are totally passive, it just affects the energy surge ability. #2 would be cleaning up the terms a bit, I have a friend who only figured out at the hour 30 mark that "primary" and "strike" are different. #3 would be those loving awful emotes, #4 would be adding some sort of firing range type thing, I swear I'm going insane not having some non-game time to practice shots.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tulip posted:

#2 would be cleaning up the terms a bit, I have a friend who only figured out at the hour 30 mark that "primary" and "strike" are different.

i still have no clue what "Hit" encompasses - is it attacks made against enemies or the core or both? - and if "multi-hit" specifically means moves that hit rapid-fire or attacks you perform in sequence, or both (or neither)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hit means either against players or cores. thats why those sorts of buffs show different values for player/core.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Saw the first actual griefer in comp today. Rune kept hitting the core into their own barriers/goal, banishing his teammates, going over to the other side to hit the core back.
Fortunately (I guess) for us, he was on the other team.

Still, don't really know what caused a high gold player to do that. Seemed like he did it from the very beginning as well, so I guess he had some bad blood with one of the other people on the other team.
Maybe they banned the striker he had pre-picked, wouldn't surprise me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i really hope they change how leavers work in ranked at least. having someone leave after 1 round still takes way too long for a game to end if people dont just silently agree to afk

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I actually haven't had any leavers at all since I left bronze, though I imagine it's punished pretty heavily as in most games with a competitive mode.
Even if someone tilts, they usually stay in the game and go afk.

I think in high elo there's a gentleman's agreement to stop the core and wait if someone DC's, since the penalties for leaving are so harsh.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 7, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

just the saddest poo poo, even as the beneficiary. plus playing it out is boring

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

is there anywhere to see lifetime or recent game stats?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ciaphas posted:

just the saddest poo poo, even as the beneficiary. plus playing it out is boring

This is when you go to the other half of the map and play as the goalie.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

if friendly fire were an option i'd take you up on that :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i was gonna say that'd be really cute, but there's a good chance you'd (probably rightfully in ranked) get reported for griefing

leavers suck, i think in most cases its d/c's rather than rage quitters in my experience, but it still just sucks the air out of the room

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh if it's ranked then yes absolutely drive the dagger in. But if it's QP or Normal just do whatever, play it out so it's as fair as possible for both sides, especially in lieu of a surrender button.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ciaphas posted:

is there anywhere to see lifetime or recent game stats?

https://corestrike.gg/ You can use this to see lifetime stats.
Don't think there's anywhere to see recent game stats, though there is a button on the main menu to see the result of the last match you were in, in case you skip the score screen.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3716076292774706481?l=english

Nerfs: Juno, X
Buffs: Rune, Zentaro, Sparks of Focus & Strength

They're working on AFK punishment and a practice mode. Adding a new ranked tier (Pro). They want to work on spectator mode and custom games and are adding a Central USA server for ping.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3716076292774706481?l=english

Nerfs: Juno, X
Buffs: Rune, Zentaro, Sparks of Focus & Strength

They're working on AFK punishment and a practice mode. Adding a new ranked tier (Pro). They want to work on spectator mode and custom games and are adding a Central USA server for ping.

oo v nice

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1656804293402296323

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If you're impatient, the hidden replies to that tweet spoil her design, lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Had a bunch of fun games tonight. Mostly losses, but losing can be fun too. One of the funnier things was that a forward figured out that the enemy team wasn't even trying to go for kills, so he just hung out in the speed strip on the bottom. From a goalie perspective this was honestly really convenient, if I knew where the opposing fowards were that told me enough to know if it was safe to do a 45 degree pass without even looking at that part of the map, incredibly useful and let us get away with a lot of stuff we shouldn't have.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Woof, player quality has really nosedived this weekend. Gonna have to stick to ranked instead of normals, some of these players man...

I already had to write off QP because there is literally no matchmaking on it, you're playing against Timmy on his phone. But it's crept into normals now.

urea
Aug 18, 2013

How the gently caress do you play goalie in this game? I feel like every time I play goalie there's nothing I can do because my forwards just stand right next to each other in the worst positions and we have zero control over the core. And when I play forward, the games are pretty free just by virtue of me being able to position somewhere that makes sense instead of being tethered to the goal.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

urea posted:

How the gently caress do you play goalie in this game? I feel like every time I play goalie there's nothing I can do because my forwards just stand right next to each other in the worst positions and we have zero control over the core. And when I play forward, the games are pretty free just by virtue of me being able to position somewhere that makes sense instead of being tethered to the goal.

There's multiple goalie strategies that work better and worse with different strikers. The general question is are you being a "back" goalie or a "front" goalie. Back goalie is kind of the more intuitive version, where you play fairly close in the net and focus primarily on just reacting to the core as it comes to you. Front goalie is more about extending your reach up into the mid field to reduce the number of times you actually need to save. I tend to play Asher as back goalie (and this is my main goalie), which she's exceedingly good at between Strike Barrier and her Special just basically locking out a whole lane for several seconds when I need it, but none of her abilities have all that much range so my ability to support my forwards is pretty limited. When I play Juno as goalie, ideally I'm not saving very often at all, I'm shooting blobs into the midfield constantly to just apply consistent pressure and space control that keeps team possession up high.

The received wisdom I have is that the really good back goalies are Asher, Dubu, and Atlas, while the better front goalies are Kai, Luna, Aimi, and Estelle. Drekar's a very good goalie but I'm not quite sure where I'd consider him because his gun doesn't quite have the kind of range that Aimi and Estelle are using, but it has such incredibly high uptime that you can use it seemingly constantly. Luna and Aimi are particularly aggressive front goalies, I'm sure you've seen them mixing their porting with Eject Button to basically play as forward for a few seconds at a time.

That said yeah if your forwards aren't, well, forward, its bad. My joke is that if you have two people in the goalie net, you don't have two goalies you have half of a goalie. There might be legit good reason for your forwards to be stacking (mostly if they're going for kills) but trying to goalie when your teammates are not open or controlling space is extremely frustrating.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh hey, they accurately recognized they need to keep the content stream flowing this early after release. Pleasantly surprised

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1657852363040800769

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think the only thing that really steams my beans in this game is when someone on my team just keeps kicking the core straight back-and-forth into the same person. not because it's suboptimal, but because it gives them a ton of exp compared to me and it makes me feel bad when i end a round at level 3 when my co-forward or goalie is level 5 or 6, regardless of if we won or lost the round

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh hey, they accurately recognized they need to keep the content stream flowing this early after release. Pleasantly surprised

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1657852363040800769

My business advice to them, which obviously they don't care about, is "make a ton more low-quality skins, e.g. recolors." All the strikers so far have really distinctive silhouettes so something like "reverse color era" or "blue X" isn't really going to cause visual problems, and just based on other FTP action games, it really feels like "there are 8 billion skins" seems to make a difference in player retention.

Countblanc posted:

i think the only thing that really steams my beans in this game is when someone on my team just keeps kicking the core straight back-and-forth into the same person. not because it's suboptimal, but because it gives them a ton of exp compared to me and it makes me feel bad when i end a round at level 3 when my co-forward or goalie is level 5 or 6, regardless of if we won or lost the round

Level just makes your stagger max higher right? And I guess you get to pick earlier in the draft. If level gave you more benefits it might even feel like a kind of weirdly sane thing to do on purpose but as it stands its pretty minor.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tulip posted:

Level just makes your stagger max higher right? And I guess you get to pick earlier in the draft. If level gave you more benefits it might even feel like a kind of weirdly sane thing to do on purpose but as it stands its pretty minor.

oh i know, but it's easy to see it as a general "contributions-at-a-glance" bar and im always a bit worried people will see my number is lower and think i'm playing bad

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Countblanc posted:

oh i know, but it's easy to see it as a general "contributions-at-a-glance" bar and im always a bit worried people will see my number is lower and think i'm playing bad

No one really cares unless you're like level 2 on the 3rd set, and in that case it's already apparent without looking at your level that you haven't been contributing much.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Countblanc posted:

Yeah that's fair, I was just wondering if there might be a reason to do it on purpose.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Tulip posted:

My business advice to them, which obviously they don't care about, is "make a ton more low-quality skins, e.g. recolors." All the strikers so far have really distinctive silhouettes so something like "reverse color era" or "blue X" isn't really going to cause visual problems, and just based on other FTP action games, it really feels like "there are 8 billion skins" seems to make a difference in player retention.

I would absolutely love a bunch of “boring” recolors that I could spend a small-ish amount of currency on in order to make my entire roster red. Customization and style is super important to me, and I am always happy to toss in two bucks to get even just a little bit of personal flair.

Apex Legends has this absolutely down to a science. Their basic skins are set up so that they can apply arbitrary colors and patterns to them with seemingly minimal effort, so a lot of the battle pass content is them coming up with a couple new patterns and turning that into twenty new skins across the roster. They’ve also got lots of customization on the player profile cards that show at the start and end of every match, which are also per-character, and a ton of it is just static images and poses that probably take next to no time to put together. I have spent so much real money on that game making everything perfect, and it’s all happened two bucks at a time.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

blastron posted:

I would absolutely love a bunch of “boring” recolors that I could spend a small-ish amount of currency on in order to make my entire roster red. Customization and style is super important to me, and I am always happy to toss in two bucks to get even just a little bit of personal flair.

Apex Legends has this absolutely down to a science. Their basic skins are set up so that they can apply arbitrary colors and patterns to them with seemingly minimal effort, so a lot of the battle pass content is them coming up with a couple new patterns and turning that into twenty new skins across the roster. They’ve also got lots of customization on the player profile cards that show at the start and end of every match, which are also per-character, and a ton of it is just static images and poses that probably take next to no time to put together. I have spent so much real money on that game making everything perfect, and it’s all happened two bucks at a time.

Yeah Apex was the main game I was thinking of as a point of comparison.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Just did a couple quick plays and got one where basically everything was size or power buffs and the X on my team got like 4 double KOs it was one of the most lopsided matches I've ever played, I don't ever remember being truly hard carried like that in OS before.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1658155421822070793

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Game is good.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Patch is out.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YajmqRnhdMg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN6sA1fttCg

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Octavia looks looney tunes. Vyce seems good too but Octavia's kit seems stacked

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Patch notes are up: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/5447711077247441209

New map, new forward gear. Asher rework

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

Patch notes are up: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/5447711077247441209

New map, new forward gear. Asher rework

Legitimately don't understand what Asher's shields did before, still don't fully understand what it being on her primary means now. Did it prevent damage/knockback? Automatically strike the puck??

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Legitimately don't understand what Asher's shields did before, still don't fully understand what it being on her primary means now. Did it prevent damage/knockback? Automatically strike the puck??

How it used to work is that during the casting of that move the Core would collide with Asher. You meant to use it by standing in the path of the Core, activating the ability, letting the Core hit your body and stop, then the attack part of the ability activates and punts the Core and whoever is unlucky to stand in front of Asher really hard.

I'm not yet sure what changed. I think it works like before on your own side of the field now, but not on the opponent side?
I only ever play Goalie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The new onis are really fragile, just punching them once or twice breaks their momentum entirely.