Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Kith posted:

haven't heard of anyone chowing down on a ship tbh. is this a new thing?

what do you think макароны по-флотски is made of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

How do you tell kids "Don't try this at home" in Korean.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Maxwells Demon posted:

But you're able to confirm that you didn't piss yourself, so there's some extra mechanism that tells if it's actually wet or not. I can't think of many false positives or false negatives where we can actually convince ourselves something is wet when it isn't or dry when it's wet.

Sure, our brain is great at bringing together all of our senses to make a final decision, but no, there's no extra mechanism tgat senses wet. If my laps warm and I look down and see it's not wet, my brains not going to argue that it is. And like has been stated, is your laundry in the dryer damp, or is it just cool? Your brain doesn't really know.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kith posted:

oh, the ship doesn't have to be japanese? that makes more sense, i always wondered about that

They only cover that in the manga

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Kesper North posted:

They only cover that in the manga

Important to remember that starboard is on the left and port is on the right in this case.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This is cool as hell but yiiikes that the front row person is a kid. You must have to have really strong ventilation to make sure the steam from the liquor doesn't pour out into the crowd sitting RIGHT next to the flames, yikes yikes.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Unperson_47 posted:

Important to remember that starboard is on the left and port is on the right in this case.

Any port in a storm! :dadjoke:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Atticus_1354 posted:

Sure, our brain is great at bringing together all of our senses to make a final decision, but no, there's no extra mechanism tgat senses wet. If my laps warm and I look down and see it's not wet, my brains not going to argue that it is. And like has been stated, is your laundry in the dryer damp, or is it just cool? Your brain doesn't really know.
Yeah this is why if you're wearing latex gloves and dip your gloved hand in water, you'll feel like your hand is wet, bc enough of the sensations (pressure, movement, probably temperature) that indicate 'wet' usually still transmit. There's no distinct sense of 'wet' it's just a contextual combination of everything else. I think that's neat!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

1stGear posted:

How do you tell kids "Don't try this at home" in Korean.

This definitely feels like something a first-time restaurant owner in the US would try to imitate (“I saw it on TikTok, it will be great for our socials!”), only to learn the hard way that it will set off the sprinkler system in a restaurant built up to code.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Are businesses owned by amish/mennonite/etc groups exempt from OSHA/food cleanliness laws? Was watching one of those "How's It Made" shows, and they were going over how pretzels are made at Martins Pennsylvania Dutch Pretzel factory, and the place was loving filthy. There were pretzels coming out of an oven that was dirtier than the ovens you see in those vids about smelting metal in a developing country.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
For flavor.

But seriously, most of the European Protected Designation of Origin foodstuffs are produced by methods that would definitely get you shut down otherwise.

You probably heard about the maggot cheeses. The best beer is also produced in open vats in an environment that looks like it hasn't been cleaned in centuries. The cobwebs are a sign that it's safe, they eat the flies you see. (Protip: visit the Cantillon brewery near Brussels Midi station if you're in the neighbourhood)

edit: vvvvv Yep. Although many brewers are adding those wild strains as part of a more industrial process. Orval did this decades ago to get closer to the pre-war (open vat) taste profile.

Beef fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 16, 2023

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They don't dare clean the place, because that could accidentally kill their unique strain of wild yeast and ruin their production forever.

Swiss cheese has deliberate impurities introduced to produce the well-known holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evV05QeSjAw

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

These are way cheaper than that propane method.

Do these really work?

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are businesses owned by amish/mennonite/etc groups exempt from OSHA/food cleanliness laws? Was watching one of those "How's It Made" shows, and they were going over how pretzels are made at Martins Pennsylvania Dutch Pretzel factory, and the place was loving filthy. There were pretzels coming out of an oven that was dirtier than the ovens you see in those vids about smelting metal in a developing country.

Without seeing the video I can't really comment on that place but in my experience bakeries can go from looking pristine to a mess in a day. Flour gets absolutely everywhere and tuns to glue on contact with moisture not to mention the ovens that generate copious amounts of burned breadcrumbs that will just about float in the air. The carbon that builds up on the baking trays is the hardest thing to remove but thankfully they just got us this nice big hot tank of lye to strip them in at work. Don't forget the dough is already full of bacteria and yeast and only becomes sterile after baking.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

Do these really work?

Sure do. Have you ever felt the water from a garden hose sitting in the summer sun’s light for 4 hours? poo poo gets hot.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Why would you want the water in the pool to be hot in the summer? You would need a lot of sun for that solar powered heater to work, right?

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 16, 2023

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

coldpudding posted:

Without seeing the video I can't really comment on that place but in my experience bakeries can go from looking pristine to a mess in a day. Flour gets absolutely everywhere and tuns to glue on contact with moisture not to mention the ovens that generate copious amounts of burned breadcrumbs that will just about float in the air. The carbon that builds up on the baking trays is the hardest thing to remove but thankfully they just got us this nice big hot tank of lye to strip them in at work. Don't forget the dough is already full of bacteria and yeast and only becomes sterile after baking.

It wasn't really an excess of flour or salt laying around, although that was present. Their oven had this system where there was a chain with teeth on it that would drag the pretzels out of the oven, and the chain looked like it had never been cleaned. I wouldn't expect it to be gleaming chrome, but you know, cleaned once a week would be nice. And then just weird stains on everything that looked like no one had ever attempted to clean them either.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Michael Pollan did a Netflix doc about something like that

https://abbeyofreginalaudis.org/CurrentEvents-Cooked.html

They found that the traditional way of making the cheese was much cleaner than the modern way even though it looked much less sanitary. Turns out that making something in a particular way for hundreds of years usually means you’ve figured out how to do it in a way that doesn’t make the consumer sick

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Unperson_47 posted:

Why would you want the water in the pool to be hot in the summer? You would need a lot of sun for that solar powered heater to work, right?
The goal isn't hot water, just not crazy cold. Even on a hot day, an unheated pool can be uncomfortably cold when you first get in, since water steals all your precious body warmth much more effectively than air.

We didn't have any fancy water heater when we were kids, so we would spray ourselves with the hose, which was ice cold, them jump in the slightly warmer pool, and it would feel comparatively fantastic, and somehow that arrangement made more sense to us than just getting in the pool and adjusting to the temperature.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 16, 2023

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

CainFortea posted:

Mythbusters did a thing on it, I couldn't find a video though.
I can’t work out how to link the time on ios but 1:20 for a drafting explanation that’s always stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SSgv8t0QbM

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Sometimes you just have your rectal grabber & want some chips

_____!
May 2, 2004

A.I. please combine these three pictures into a new video:

Ahh excellent thank you

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Good news is that it wasn't hot sauce

It was a sample of used rear differential fluid

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when all you have is an endoscope everything looks like a butt :hmmyes:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rui5auzPL91qigfjt.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rueb3uM1Vu1qigfjt.mp4

:stonk:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rua8tiPM1s1qigfjt.mp4

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

welcome back man

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

_____! posted:

Ahh excellent thank you

That backpack got a good dose of sauce, pretty good example of why you never leave your stuff in a food prep area.

The vending machines around here have been increasingly beefed up to the point that they now have heavy armored windows and a sort of locking double door system that would defeat such an attack.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

My parents have a solar powered pool heating system. It's setup on a timer so every day sometime after sunrise it pumps the water leaving the filter system through the heat collectors before going back to the pool. In the summer it can get the pool water to like 75 or 80F. But they live in San Diego and the collector field is the whole roof of their detached garage. That weird plastic Alibaba thing isn't gonna do much.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

mrmcd posted:

My parents have a solar powered pool heating system. It's setup on a timer so every day sometime after sunrise it pumps the water leaving the filter system through the heat collectors before going back to the pool. In the summer it can get the pool water to like 75 or 80F. But they live in San Diego and the collector field is the whole roof of their detached garage. That weird plastic Alibaba thing isn't gonna do much.

You'd be shocked, although it would be better served on the roof. Friend of mine has a setup about that same size and it keeps his pool a solid 75-80 in the winter as long as there's some sun.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You need to wear sunscreen when you're skiing nude, even though it's cold outside. It just comes down to if the solar heater can take in more energy than the pool loses through the walls/air

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

You can calculate everything. A square meter of solar collector is not nearly enough to heat up a 15000 liter pool significantly. The aliexpress solar collector appears to be about 1 square meter.

Best case scenario (12 o'clock at the equator, no heat losses for convenience's sake) the amount of solar radiation hitting your solar collector is about 900w, or 900 joule per second.
To heat up 1ml water by 1 kelvin (or degree celsius) you need 4,2 joule. So to heat up 15000 liter of water by 1 degree you need 63.000.000 joule.
That 1 square meter of solar collector will take 70.000 seconds (or about 19 hours) to heat up the pool by 1 degree C assuming no losses and the world's most powerful sunshine.
Just putting a black tarp on the surface of your water will give you a LOT more heating than a square meter of aliexpress solar collector.
It is not possible to offset the radiant and convective heat loss in winter, with only one aliexpress solar collector. Unless you defy the laws of phyics. I'm not able to do the calculations on radiant and convective heat loss, though. Maybe someone else is.

If you fill a whole roof side with solar collectors (let's say 20 square meters, 4*5m) you'll go 1 degree per hour, in ideal conditions - or let's say 1 degree per 2 hours, in more realistic conditions. If you have a whole roof you can fill, it's absolutely worth it. At night you'll lose a lot of heat (assuming your outside temperature is low-ish).
It will offset quite a significant amount of heating cost.

If your days are like 25 degrees and your nights are 15, then i reckon that you can get away with not having any non-solar heating, if you rig up some nice solar collectors. DIY'ing them is totally possible. You do have to keep a serious eye on any pathogens developing in nice, lukewarm lines of water. Get your chlorine on fleek.

Isolating the pool is also a good idea. But you have to isolate all sides. Just throwing some cover onto the water doesn't really do a lot if the ground is soaking away lots of heat.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 16, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Funnily enough, you actually can ignore heat losses to the atmosphere in that calculation without really changing the results - if the amount you're raising the water temperature by is small compared to the daily variation in ambient temperature, then the heat loss won't change significantly compared to the "baseline" heat loss you'd be getting without this heating.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Real simple: heat several 1 meter diameter copper balls to near molten, drop in pool til its to the right temperature.

Remember to drain the pool and use a wench or lift device to get 'em out.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW1zbS1fWVs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Real simple: heat several 1 meter diameter copper balls to near molten, drop in pool til its to the right temperature.

Remember to drain the pool and use a wench or lift device to get 'em out.

Why get them out when you can just reheat them by wrapping an induction coil around the pool?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

PetraCore posted:

Yeah this is why if you're wearing latex gloves and dip your gloved hand in water, you'll feel like your hand is wet, bc enough of the sensations (pressure, movement, probably temperature) that indicate 'wet' usually still transmit. There's no distinct sense of 'wet' it's just a contextual combination of everything else. I think that's neat!

to drill down on this even more, your fingertips still get wrinkled in the gloves even though they are dry because the wrinkling is a nervous system response and not the water per se - certain types of nerve damage stop the reaction entirely even with hours of direct submersion

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

ellie the beep posted:

to drill down on this even more, your fingertips still get wrinkled in the gloves even though they are dry because the wrinkling is a nervous system response and not the water per se - certain types of nerve damage stop the reaction entirely even with hours of direct submersion

no loving way

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Yep, it's a body response to theoretically increase grip because you're in the water. It's to help you get out. Or so I read.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BitBasher posted:

Yep, it's a body response to theoretically increase grip because you're in the water. It's to help you get out. Or so I read.

That seems to be the prevailing theory. It's a neurological reaction so we know the body is doing it on purpose. And tests show that we're better able to grip wet objects with pruney fingers. Besides just getting out of water, it would theoretically have helped with gathering food in wet terrain and just navigating wet terrain in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

can confirm that my hands feel wet and fingers prune even when i'm wearing non-permeable latex gloves when i'm washing the dishes or doing other cleaning poo poo