Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

Why does Brother Mouzone travel with Lamar? Wouldn't it make sense, if Mouzone if Nation of Islam or Fruit of Islam, that he'd just be accompanied by another member of the group?

There may be a few things about Mouzone that don't make sense. Though to me he's one of the most mysterious and cartoonish characters in the show. I'd love to learn who he was based off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Count Roland posted:

There may be a few things about Mouzone that don't make sense. Though to me he's one of the most mysterious and cartoonish characters in the show. I'd love to learn who he was based off.

What makes you say cartoonish? He seems like a pretty accurate facsimile of some NOI/FOI folks?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

What makes you say cartoonish? He seems like a pretty accurate facsimile of some NOI/FOI folks?

Well like Omar he's larger than life. In most tv this would be normal but everyone else in the show is a normal person.

And how many NOI members were hitmen for drug gangs? I'd like to know about them.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I mean, the Nation of Islam is probably most famous for assassinating Malcolm X, so the fact there are hitmen amongst their ranks is well-established fact. That they might work among/with drug gangs seems perfectly of-a-piece with their generally mercenary and amoral approach to politics. Mouzone carries himself like a standard NOI member in terms of dress and manner, so while it does present as a very stark contrast with all of the other characters in the show, it feels very grounded to me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jewmanji posted:

Why does Brother Mouzone travel with Lamar? Wouldn't it make sense, if Mouzone if Nation of Islam or Fruit of Islam, that he'd just be accompanied by another member of the group?

Not much at all makes sense about Mouzone, at least to me.

Count Roland posted:

Agreed.

Some of the scenes he dominates take me out of the show, especially since The Wire goes so far out of it's way to capture a sense of realism and make even the smallest characters feel important and vital to the story. Omar and some of his scenes brush up against this sort of thing here and there in ways that challenge your suspension of disbelief; in a show that mostly seems like you're loving living in it.

The Cowboy Movie weird poo poo stands out every once in a while but it never really bugs me because those scenes are usually so much fun that you're willing to ride with it, even if they seem out of place sometimes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jewmanji posted:

I mean, the Nation of Islam is probably most famous for assassinating Malcolm X, so the fact there are hitmen amongst their ranks is well-established fact. That they might work among/with drug gangs seems perfectly of-a-piece with their generally mercenary and amoral approach to politics. Mouzone carries himself like a standard NOI member in terms of dress and manner, so while it does present as a very stark contrast with all of the other characters in the show, it feels very grounded to me.

Jewmanji posted:

Not directed at me and sorry for the double post but, to me, it's not the reality that the Nation of Islam is dangerous, has a history, that they're well connected, or how they show who Mouzone rolls with, it's how they portray it. Like someone else said, same with Omar (yes I know he's based on a real person). Sometimes, those characters' scenes are a little over the top and a little bit too cool for school to where, they're not BAD, but just a bit out of place. The scenes in question feel more like a Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis or Charles Bronson movie than a gritty, realistic, character driven look at the city of Baltimore.

They're still FUN but..I dunno..different in tone maybe?

Mouzone (and Omar) are always one step ahead, in the right place, super cool and can chill out and have a conversation surrounded by Corner Muscle and armed with a little 22 or limping around with a broken leg taking on soldiers. I'd agree with the idea that BM and Omar are the most "cartoonish" characters in a show that's just soaking in a realistic portrayal of cops, criminals and the drug war

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 15, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC Mouzone is someone who more plausibly could have existed 10-15 years earlier, but is a bit anachronistic in the time period of the wire

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Brother Mouzone is the most badass character in a TV show that also has Omar, Wee Bey and Chris.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The dude who killed Biggie Smalls was wearing a bowtie according to witness descriptions.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Mouzone (and Omar) are always one step ahead, in the right place, super cool and can chill out and have a conversation surrounded by Corner Muscle and armed with a little 22 or limping around with a broken leg taking on soldiers. I'd agree with the idea that BM and Omar are the most "cartoonish" characters in a show that's just soaking in a realistic portrayal of cops, criminals and the drug war

Remember that Omar had to be toned down because the guy he was based on really was so over the top that it would seem even less realistic on the show.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Brother Mouzone is the most badass character in a TV show that also has Omar, Wee Bey and Chris.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s actually funny that both the Shield and the Wire use the Nation of Islam and the Shield take is actually a bit more grounded

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I'm kind of conflicted on his character as well. In a world where anyone can get got at any moment, he can kind of just walk Baltimore unchallenged and everyone's like "woah Brother Mouzone, no loving way" like he's the ultimate badass or something. On the other hand, I can sort of buy a bunch of gangsters believing in some quasi superstitious belief that this one guy IS actually the ultimate bad rear end. Also, the dialogue is so loving good ("even if I miss I can't miss ") I'm willing to look the other way.

But the showrunners also had to tone DOWN Omar's escape because the audience wouldn't have believed it otherwise so :shrug:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
He kept saying things about “your link to New York” and such, so I always assumed that he had some serious connections. Meaning those connections were scarier than Mouzon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"New York" was just the major drug operations running out of New York City, I assumed? Avon had a connection with a major cartel for his drug connect, losing out on that in season 2 when they cut ties because of Avon's arrest is what lead to Stringer doing the deal with Prop Joe and the eventual formation of the New Day Co-Op.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Jewmanji posted:

Why does Brother Mouzone travel with Lamar?

Who's gonna get his Harpers otherwise?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Jewmanji posted:

on television when you have a character who is larger than life you need to pair them with a straight man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkZftWwBRJc

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

God Hole posted:

on television when you have a character who is larger than life you need to pair them with a straight man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkZftWwBRJc

It's why Rawls and Burrell work so well together.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Or Bunk and Jimmy

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've been watching Barry and Bunny Colvin's actor is in it, playing an absolutely terrifying character

He still kind of has that friendly grandpa thing, but in a weaponized way

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, he's a fantastic character in the show, really looking forward to seeing where they go with him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Watched Mona Lisa tonight (film from the 80s) and it was pretty good. Bob Hoskins was great as always.

Imagine my surprise however when Clarke Peters (Lester Freamon) showed up, playing a very menacing pimp. He was scary too.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’ve gotten through S3 on my rewatch and I’ve always been a little confused why Bunny was upset with McNulty for putting Stringer’s name on the warrant when they raid Avon’s hideout. He said Mcnulty was taking a shortcut.

Anyway, RIP String, that’s what you get for being terrible at the street stuff.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’ve gotten through S3 on my rewatch and I’ve always been a little confused why Bunny was upset with McNulty for putting Stringer’s name on the warrant when they raid Avon’s hideout. He said Mcnulty was taking a shortcut.

Anyway, RIP String, that’s what you get for being terrible at the street stuff.

Wasn't it that they didn't actually have admissible evidence to tie Stringer to it?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ah ok that makes sense. Since he was dead Mcnulty could just say he was a CI even though he really wasn’t and no one was around to refute it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

He was a CI though, even if he hadn’t been one for long. If I remember right, McNulty just didn’t technically know the info actually came from him (he just was able to put two and together), and he completely blew up the “confidential” part because it made for a stronger case.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I thought it was because Stringer asked Bunny not to reveal him as the traitor who ratted out Avon.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah, string dropped dime on Avon and Avon tipped off Omar, or brother Muzone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Brother mouzone is a walking talking cartoon character. The scene where he's giving a physical description of Omar and asks "you down with this nigga" in monotone with a straight face is by far the funniest line and performance of that season.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Harper's is a great magazine fwiw

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

escape artist posted:

Post avatar...

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

escape artist posted:

You didn't say that one. You said The New Republic, and Atlantic, and a new somethin' else.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bird in a Blender posted:

You didn't say that one. You said The New Republic, and Atlantic, and a new somethin' else.

Uh-huh. I bet every week he tells you the same poo poo, and every week you forget half of what he says

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/Ziggys_Duck/status/1660949501190848512?t=ba6fWCZ4qOK3z4mLY15aMg&s=19

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Someday I'll need to get a book that lists all the characters and their real-life backgrounds. Had no idea about Lamar.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Count Roland posted:

Someday I'll need to get a book that lists all the characters and their real-life backgrounds. Had no idea about Lamar.

:same:

I was about to say "I watched the corner and didn't recognize him" but it's been long enough since I watched it that I forgot the main characters were played by actors, as in most film and television. In my head the show was gritty enough that I put the real people in it

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

While we're pitching shows that you might have missed, I'll bang the drum for Patriot, which is still on Prime. It's a dryly comic deconstruction of James Bond that has surprising heart and interesting characters.
I watched this show basically because of this post and it was so strange. I really liked it but I can see why it only got two seasons. It was very up its own rear end in the second one especially, but drat if I'm not still thinking about it and humming the songs weeks later. A+ would watch again.

.......for seventeen minutes

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I watched this show basically because of this post and it was so strange. I really liked it but I can see why it only got two seasons. It was very up its own rear end in the second one especially, but drat if I'm not still thinking about it and humming the songs weeks later. A+ would watch again.

.......for seventeen minutes

I think the second season just didn’t quite cohere as a unit, so it could feel a little meander-y and tacked-on.

But the short game is so loving strong in that show, who even gives a poo poo. Kurtwood Smith absentmindedly sniffing coke off his hand in an NA meeting. Mother of god.

Spram-jointed fern mounts! Triple buttressed ampule valves!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think the second season just didn’t quite cohere as a unit, so it could feel a little meander-y and tacked-on.

But the short game is so loving strong in that show, who even gives a poo poo. Kurtwood Smith absentmindedly sniffing coke off his hand in an NA meeting. Mother of god.

Spram-jointed fern mounts! Triple buttressed ampule valves!
Flam-fastened pan traps at both maiden apexes of the jim-joist. Lmfao.

If you want weird extra content and haven't seen this, Leslie Claret has his own podcast that last released an episode in 2022:
https://www.lgclaret.com/podcast

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Count Roland posted:

Out of curiosity have you read Homicide and The Corner? It's cool seeing the inspiration for a ton of characters and events from The Wire of course, but they're also incredibly well-written books in their own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've been doing a rewatch and struggling a bit through season 5.

All that serial killer stuff is whatever but the Clay Davis show is a hell of a thing.