Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Who's Todd Muller

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol I'd forgotten all about business thumb #1

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Who's Todd Muller

He is the guy whose interjection prompted Chlöe Swarbrick to reply “OK boomer”

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

moist todd fixed our broken suncream industry, please be respectful

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Who's Todd Muller

um, just check the op???

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Good news everybody, in-laws are not considered family, and also some Christchurch councillors don't pay attention during meetings or read the agendas.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
jesus :(

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Ah gently caress.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

well this is horrible huh

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/489973/wellington-hostel-fire-multiple-people-dead-several-injured-at-newtown-s-loafers-lodge

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
sounds like it was a disaster waiting to happen

i wonder how these people get away with compliance

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeesh, that's awful

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Booty Pageant posted:

sounds like it was a disaster waiting to happen

i wonder how these people get away with compliance

Old building exempt from sprinklers

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Firstscion posted:

Lmao how is that real wtf

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Lmao how is that real wtf

Sprinklers cost.
Cost make profit go down
Profit go down unacceptable.
Solution: no sprinklers.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
p sure sprinklers have been around since they realised how hosed you are if a multistory building goes up, and it wasn't like comedy chinese cladding from the fireworks factory and we don't hate the poors like the uk, yet

man i'd invest in worksafe if you could, they're making a killing this year so far

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Booty Pageant posted:

we don't hate the poors like the uk, yet

why doesn't my house have central heating, double glazed windows, and good insulation then

also why don't we have free healthcare

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Firstscion posted:

Better than that, the building's escape height has to be quite high before sprinklers are required by the building code, even if it sleeps 100 people

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I like what James Shaw said in parliament about it.
https://vimeo.com/825318894

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

they didn't even have functioning alarms if the stories on RNZ are any indication. sprinklers wouldn't have hurt but i wouldn't be optimistic that they'd have been in a functioning state if installed either

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

apparently the alarms would go off all the time but they were false alarms and nobody paid them any attention. for some reason they didn't go off this time, but even if they had, it might not have made a difference

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Like most disasters it seems to be the result of multiple failures compounding together

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

why doesn't my house have central heating, double glazed windows, and good insulation then

also why don't we have free healthcare

nah don't need that just wrap up and eat some kfc she'll be right

you shouldn't complain when there's children starving in america

but yeah you'd think there'd be more incentives like that insulation and heating subsidy years ago, i don't think it was a failure at least, and yet no one gives a gently caress

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Booty Pageant posted:

but yeah you'd think there'd be more incentives like that insulation and heating subsidy years ago, i don't think it was a failure at least, and yet no one gives a gently caress

It's still a thing.

https://www.eeca.govt.nz/co-funding/insulation-and-heater-grants/warmer-kiwi-homes-programme/

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man I was honestly kinda shocked to learn that buildings like that can be exempt from sprinkler r equirements. Fuckin 2023 and we can still have tenement fires :smith:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

"I make no apologies for strengthening regulations if it saves lives" - Christopher Luxon

Lol at framing this as a tough decision he has to make

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
This is just Luxon preemptively defending his position that landlords can theoretically be in the wrong. After an investigation, there will be evidence that poor people are responsible and landlords should not have the burden of ensuring tenants safety. It will also not be front page news.

Meanwhile, his potential coalition partner Seymour is promising to get rid of all the pesky regulations.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Content to Hover posted:

This is just Luxon preemptively defending his position that landlords can theoretically be in the wrong. After an investigation, there will be evidence that poor people are responsible and landlords should not have the burden of ensuring tenants safety. It will also not be front page news.

Meanwhile, his potential coalition partner Seymour is promising to get rid of all the pesky regulations.

Reminder National also has that stupid "add one regulation, remove two" policy.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

"I make no apologies for strengthening regulations if it saves lives" - Christopher Luxon

Lol at framing this as a tough decision he has to make

Luxon coming in strong undermining (overriding?) Simeon Brown and supporting road to zero and reduced speed limits, I see!

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
No matter how poo poo Luxon tries to be, he isn't Seymour. He is obligated to pretend to care due to demographics. Meanwhile:

David Seymour posted:

"There are whole departments that no government would establish today, but no government has had the courage to stop funding. Just ask yourself, what has the Human Rights Commission actually achieved for human rights lately?"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The $500k contract for Covid-19 memes that was approved by then-Police Commissioner Mike Bush https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/in-depth/490071/the-500k-contract-for-covid-19-memes-that-was-approved-by-then-police-commissioner-mike-bush

lol just terrible stuff

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

exmarx posted:

The $500k contract for Covid-19 memes that was approved by then-Police Commissioner Mike Bush https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/in-depth/490071/the-500k-contract-for-covid-19-memes-that-was-approved-by-then-police-commissioner-mike-bush

lol just terrible stuff

hope the cunts stay in that hell hole known as london

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
This might amount to nothing but lol if true
https://twitter.com/ClintVSmith/status/1658619714698969091?s=20

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lmao do it coward

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004