Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1658368068156891138
Speaker for the Air Force Yuriy Ihnat confirms the shoot downs of all six Kinzhals aimed at Kyiv last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Breaking: Raytheon sales rep for PATRIOT systems placing frantic calls to his yacht dealer if its too late to make all the toliets gold.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

steinrokkan posted:

It would be funny if the Patriot was still in stand by mode, like when it shot down the Kinzhal.
There is nothing that symbolizes the US Military Complex :capitalism: than "So we made an effective missile defense. How can we run this with the least amount of labor involved? Let's automate it!"

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

CeeJee posted:

After getting a few seconds of radar data the computer can predict perfectly where a ballistic missile will go and calculate an interception. You still need a lot of very advanced tech to do the interception successfully where every microsecond counts but no humans are needed for this. No one could manually do this anyway.

Well maybe you couldn't.

I would simply turn off my targeting computer and use the Force. :colbert:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

motorocker posted:

pretty sure kefir is just a fancy way to say buttermilk in the same way that creme fraiche is just a fancy way to say sour cream,

No, buttermilk and kefir are different (though similar) things.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Deptfordx posted:

Well maybe you couldn't.

I would simply turn off my targeting computer and use the Force. :colbert:
I'm with the idea that the targeting computer was giving bad info the whole time, remember the other two runs where they trusted the computer and missed? Well Luke, after missing himself, realized the computer was off so he used the Force and flew by the seat of his pants and hit the button at the proper time.

I don't want to continue this derail any further, just wanted to nerd out

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
something wholesome for a change, Bucha almost one year later, maybe it was already posted, but I haven' seen it

https://twitter.com/RomanHavelka13/status/1655826646904045568

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 16, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Isn’t kefir just yogurt version of buttermilk

It’s fuckin yummy though. Mixed berry kefir helps my tummy and tastes great

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Toxic Mental posted:

Isn’t kefir just yogurt version of buttermilk

It’s fuckin yummy though. Mixed berry kefir helps my tummy and tastes great

No. There’s no yeast involved in buttermilk so there’s no alcohol. This is quite unlike kefir which you can get reasonably buzzed on in the manner of a recovering alcoholic who just discovered kombucha.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Not much fun in Crimea, no.

Soon, baby.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Dwesa posted:

something wholesome for a change, Bucha almost one year later, maybe it was already posted, but I haven' seen it

https://twitter.com/RomanHavelka13/status/1655826646904045568

This is really impressive, and i imagine was kind of a priority project given the horrors that occurred there

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1658389100607553536
Well, I'd wish you good luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Ukrainian anti-corruption bodies said they exposed large-scale corruption in the Supreme Court. Local media reported that the president of the court was arrested.

Ukraine's National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine (NABU) and the Specialized Anti-Corruption Prosecutor's Office (SAP) reported on alleged corruption in the country's Supreme Court on their social media accounts late on Monday.

"NABU and SAP have exposed large-scale corruption in the Supreme Court, in particular a scheme to obtain undue advantages by the leadership and judges of the Supreme Court," the anti-corruption bodies said on Facebook.

Who is alleged to have bribed whom, and why, was not clear from the statement. NABU and SAP also published a photo of bundles of banknotes on a couch, saying they would release details later.
https://www.dw.com/en/ukraine-large-scale-corruption-in-supreme-court-reported/a-65632061

Who knew that you could investigate the supreme court for corruption :thunk:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Good for them to be cracking down on this stuff WHILE all this other poo poo is happening.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Samovar posted:

Good for them to be cracking down on this stuff WHILE all this other poo poo is happening.

I think its the other way around. They CAN crack down on this because of all the other things that are happening.

No judge or government official who wants to enjoy not being jailed is going to block or intervene on investigators that hunt down Russian collaborators and people who otherwise actively sabotage the government.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I have a suspicion that if the rubber meets the road, China's army will also be exposed as a fairly big joke. By all accounts their soldiers are extremely poorly trained, a lot of their equipment is of dubious quality and the grift is wide-spread and massively ambitious. Of course they could still be the second most powerful military in the world, because large parts of the world have scaled back their militaries massively these past decades.
I'm not sure if be so confident that China isn't rapidly improving. They might have corruption too, but the reality is they've been able to turn themselves in to the manufacturing centre of the world (and no longer just outsourced manufacturing but now inhouse r&d too). That shows an ability to get stuff done that isn't mirrored in Russia, where everything that isn't exporting natural resources has been vapourware and mailaise.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Deki posted:

They're beefing up their navy but who fuckin knows what the quality of vessel/sailors are.

They're also waving around their supposed hypersonic cruise missiles as their counter to US carrier power.

They have, yeah, but one thing that people who seem to know more about modern naval combat than me are suspicious of are their blue water navy's actual combat capabilities, because they have very little to no institutional knowledge. Like they have a carrier (of sorts), yes. But they have very little to no experience in how carrier operations actually go in wartime. Does that mean their carrier is a complete non-factor? Probably not, but apparently the learning curve is very steep, and you can't really shortcut it.

The common refrain I keep hearing is that China's military is mostly designed to bulk up their national spirit, suppress internal threats and dissidents, and to bully neighbours who are so far behind that them that even incredibly poorly trained conscripts using weapons with dubious quality control and fighting with questionable tactics are enough to make a point.

But of course I'm also very much not eager to find out. War loving sucks, and the less we have of it, the better.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1658365943293042688

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

I think its the other way around. They CAN crack down on this because of all the other things that are happening.

No judge or government official who wants to enjoy not being jailed is going to block or intervene on investigators that hunt down Russian collaborators and people who otherwise actively sabotage the government.

Joining nato is contingent on cleaning up their house. The world has seen how massive corruption can rot a country out with russia now.

Ukraine is right to push anti corruption and more importantly, actually do it, if they want to have security after this war ends.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

mllaneza posted:

an upgraded Patriot is leagues ahead of anything anyone else is fielding for land-based air defense.

bzzzzt lol no. SAMP/T is even deployed in Ukraine now.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Modern naval warfare is so above my head. I keep seeing ranges of detection and munitions listed in documents and it boggles my mind, just to listen to interviews with experts who have to coyly say that those figures are underselling the real potential distances.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Anyone that believes a professional liar has only themselves to blame at this point

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Modern naval warfare is so above my head. I keep seeing ranges of detection and munitions listed in documents and it boggles my mind, just to listen to interviews with experts who have to coyly say that those figures are underselling the real potential distances.

Have a look at grimreapers on YouTube, they do a bunch of naval warfare setups in DCS which, while not real, gives a decent idea of what it's like.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

Anyone that believes a professional liar has only themselves to blame at this point

Another 7 sukhoi down?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Drone_Fragger posted:

Joining nato is contingent on cleaning up their house. The world has seen how massive corruption can rot a country out with russia now.

Ukraine is right to push anti corruption and more importantly, actually do it, if they want to have security after this war ends.

Ukraine fighting corruption to join NATO/ EU is a loving farce when the loving head of NATO is one of the most deeply corrupt governments on the planet with a Supreme Court bought and paid for.

Once again we in the US can only wag our finger while doing awful poo poo.

Good on Ukraine though for becoming a better government/ country for it's people, you know what government is actually supposed to do?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

TulliusCicero posted:

Ukraine fighting corruption to join NATO/ EU is a loving farce when the loving head of NATO is one of the most deeply corrupt governments on the planet with a Supreme Court bought and paid for.

Good on Ukraine though for becoming a better government/ country for it's people, you know what government is actually supposed to do?

Well, yeah, there's probably no Government that isn't in some way corrupt. Like outside of straight up bribes and gangster behaviour there's Boys Clubs and nepotism and corporate interests. But there's "corruption" and then there's corruption as far as Western governments are concerned.

EDIT: I'm not trying to engage in Whataboutism here or apologise for the failings of Western Governments, just saying that we're not talking about the same kinds or level of corruption here.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 16, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That’s not what international organizations that gauge corruption think but USA baaaad

Weird how all its equipment keeps existing and performing to listed standards or above.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Raytheon management enjoys enormous salaries and bonuses from big deals and spend their money on summer houses in US while post-soviet military development is seven layers of washing budgets through shady contractors and rushing to cash out with skimmed money and buy a villa in Italy

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Drone_Fragger posted:

NATO? Or the EU?

NATO probably don't give a gently caress as long as you spend your 2% of GDP on military poo poo.

The economic integration that comes with EU membership is far more likely to require serious efforts to reduce corruption, although looking at some EU members you have to wonder if they care that much about it.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

So we keep posting r/NCD posts here. I thought I'd start sharing some curated posts so that people can get the better stuff in without having to sift through their junk memes and Rule 34 posts. Will link videos to spare peoples' ears and whatnot. Posting with titles if they're relevant. If people hate it or mods don't like it, I won't do it anymore.

Current Events

video: "This has aged like fine wine" (minor :nws: for language): https://www.reddit.com/r/NonCredibleDefense/comments/13iatbv/this_has_aged_like_fine_wine/ (video by David Firth)

"The only reason why we know about Prigozhin offer is that the deal is already done"

Military Posting:
"Romania pulled its last Mig-21 Lancers out of service today"

"Okay hear me out. What if we modernized the Bob Semple"

From the comments:

quote:

Here's what ChatGPT came up with:

Technical Specifications Specification Detail Type Tank Place of origin Ukraine In Service 2023 (hypothetical) Produced 2023 (hypothetical) Number built TBD Weight 30 tonnes Length 5 m (16.4 ft) Width 3 m (9.8 ft) Height 3.5 m (11.5 ft) Crew 5 (commander, driver, and three gunners) Armor Reinforced steel plating over a light composite frame Main Armament 4 x Remote-operated 12.7mm machine guns Secondary Armament Modular drone launch system Engine Diesel engine, 200 hp (150 kW) Power/Weight 6.67 hp/tonne Suspension Upgraded commercial truck Operational Range 150 km (93 mi) Speed 40 km/h (25 mph) on road; 20 km/h (12 mph) off-road

Design

The Bobski Syempolovitch tank, much like its namesake, uses a commercial tractor base, but modernizes the concept with 2023 technology. The tank uses an off-the-shelf diesel engine for propulsion, providing a higher horsepower-to-weight ratio than the original Bob Semple.

The armor is designed from reinforced steel plating over a light composite frame, providing better protection than the original corrugated iron without significantly increasing the weight. It also features modern sound and thermal insulation to reduce detection by enemy forces.

The main armament consists of four remote-operated 12.7mm machine guns mounted on each side of the tank. This allows for a 360-degree field of fire while keeping the crew safe inside the tank. The machine guns are also equipped with thermal imaging and night vision capabilities for effective operations in various lighting conditions.

One of the major upgrades over the original design is the inclusion of a modular drone launch system as a secondary armament. This allows the tank to deploy small reconnaissance or attack drones, providing it with additional situational awareness or firepower when necessary.

The Bobski Syempolovitch also includes modern communication and navigation systems, allowing it to coordinate with other units and navigate the battlefield more effectively.

Despite these upgrades, the Bobski Syempolovitch remains a cost-effective and resource-efficient solution, utilizing commercially available technology and hardware to meet its defense needs. It embodies the spirit of the original Bob Semple tank – a testament to the ingenuity and resourcefulness of those facing difficult circumstances.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 16, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

There is nothing that symbolizes the US Military Complex :capitalism: than "So we made an effective missile defense. How can we run this with the least amount of labor involved? Let's automate it!"

This is dumb. You seem to be implying that making an effective missile defense even better is "MIC Capitalism", which I assume means lazy and lovely?

TulliusCicero posted:

Everyone is in some form corrupt, but what people say when they talk about Ukraine's corruption reforms is that Ukraine was insanely corrupt on a whole 'nother level.

Also NATO doesn't impose corruption reform, that's the EU.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1658389100607553536
Well, I'd wish you good luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I mean, you guys know you could go right now? Go on, do it!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Supposedly the largest terror bombing attack on Kyiv to date and Ukraine claims that not a single bomb got through. That's pretty impressive results.

Guess that takes another huge piece of leverage that Russia had away. We can ship a lot more Patriot missiles and Gepard ammo than they can poo poo out Iranian drones and cruise missiles.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some copelords are saying one possibly empty launcher was hit but there's no evidence for that so far other than some flashes in the night city. Could be anything. In any case I'm sure Raytheon would be more than happy to make a few more of those.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Dick Fontaine posted:

No. There’s no yeast involved in buttermilk so there’s no alcohol. This is quite unlike kefir which you can get reasonably buzzed on in the manner of a recovering alcoholic who just discovered kombucha.

So what you're saying is yes, it's the yogurt version of buttermilk

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1658447024641941506

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
2022 - zero tanks
2023 - one tank (pls don't inspect)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Some copelords are saying one possibly empty launcher was hit but there's no evidence for that so far other than some flashes in the night city. Could be anything. In any case I'm sure Raytheon would be more than happy to make a few more of those.

Show me evidence that you blew up patriot
Well we don't have any at this time
Well how do you know you blew up patriot?
:thunk:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Tai posted:

Show me evidence that you blew up patriot
Well we don't have any at this time
Well how do you know you blew up patriot?
:thunk:

Um, the absence of a Patriot is pretty conclusive evidence it was destroyed if you ask me! They obviously can't show you something if they made it unexist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

So what you're saying is yes, it's the yogurt version of buttermilk

A good yogurt usually has only around 40% alcoholic content though