Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Jagganoth just wants to end the stasis he believes Zoss and Metatron are inflicting on existence.

It’s not suffering inherent to life he wants to end, but artificial and infinite suffering (that most cannot even perceive)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Victis posted:

Jagganoth just wants to end the stasis he believes Zoss and Metatron are inflicting on existence.

It’s not suffering inherent to life he wants to end, but artificial and infinite suffering (that most cannot even perceive)

He's also not enthused with the idea of a world that creates Yaun ten Jantris.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

thechosenone posted:

Wait we were supposed to get more gog agog right? What if the idea is to get Gog to defeat Jagganoth? I don't know if she couldn't mostly beat him herself, since she sort of represents the proletariat in the work (as a teeming mass of worms that largely can't be made to do much because so easily distracted and otherwise caught up in her foibles).

I do not think Gog represents the proletariat.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gog-agog is going to show up again and give either Allison or Jagganoth exactly what they want from her. How hard she twists the knife first is up in the air.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Schwarzwald posted:

You telling me "the mass always win" isn't really about historical materialism!?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Victis posted:

his stated goal is the destruction of time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Maybe we need to go

beyond the time

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah Gog-Agog represents the Spectacle, which is a whole other thing and discussed pretty widely
Also she literally says that Solomon David’s great dignity will be reduced to spectacle in her big speech

Ain’t no proletariat in Gog, just hungry eyes

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Ah so she's more like mass media and consumerism, always trying to be liked and knifing people who don't pay tribute to them? Sounds right.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

thechosenone posted:

Ah so she's more like mass media and consumerism, always trying to be liked and knifing people who don't pay tribute to them? Sounds right.

Yeah, she’s “bad stagnant social decay that doesn’t require a single tyrant, just an opiate supplier (metaphorical and literal)”
Lowest common denominator stagnation.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Niavmai posted:

his stated goal is the destruction of time.

What? That’s his response to “what is the prison” that reality is held in. A prison controlled by Zoss (by Jagganoth’s dawning understanding) because he keeps rewinding it via the powers stolen from Metatron, causing infinite tragedies as he experiments over and over.

His goal is to annihilate Existence containing Metatron and Zoss, whom he blames for maintaining an artificial cycle that no one can even perceive, let alone escape. He believes that only with those external influences removed (himself included) can anyone or anything be free

Now, if you happen to currently exist this might be a problem for you; but as he also states, there have already been a countless number of souls snuffed out due to “resets”

wiegieman posted:

He's also not enthused with the idea of a world that creates Yaun ten Jantris.

Sure, at first. Then imagine how pissed off he is when he realizes that there’s some rear end in a top hat that’s creating endless Yauns as a byproduct of his hubris

Victis fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 16, 2023

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Victis posted:

What? That’s his response to “what is the prison” that reality is held in. A prison controlled by Zoss (by Jagganoth’s dawning understanding) because he keeps rewinding it via the powers stolen from Metatron, causing infinite tragedies as he experiments over and over

time is the prison -> metatron maintains the prison -> i want to destroy him so i can make things differently without the prison -> i want to destroy time

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Victis posted:

I mean, he does want to do that. But his stated step two and three are to "Burn away this midden heap permanently" and "Reforge the Wheel, free of pain, fear, and suffering."

That is to say, he plans on annihilating all of a flawed (but very populated!) creation, so that he can supposedly make a better one.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Niavmai posted:

time is the prison -> metatron maintains the prison -> i want to destroy him so i can make things differently without the prison -> i want to destroy time

I find that an unsupported reading? Jagganoth wants there to be AN existence. Just not this one, with a guy manipulating it whom everyone seems either powerless or unwilling to stop

Jagganoth isn’t the “stasis” guy so I’m not sure what arguing he wants time gone but an otherwise functional universe leads to

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, his plan is definitely to destroy time, along with space and matter and everything else, and then he'll put together a new reality, which will presumably have its own versions of those things. He's pretty clear about that being his goal; a new reality that he can set up however he wants, because he's operating on the assumption that he can create a better world than the current one, where maybe no kids have to watch their mothers get split in half.

If he actually did it? Of course, his world would suck just as much. Probably more, since even with the Key he would be less capable than YISUN was. That said, of course,

The Song of Maybe posted:

Only once was there a question which YISUN hesitated to answer. Strangely enough, it was asked by Aesma, the least wise of their companions. They trod a stony road together, and Aesma's feet grew hot and sore. She swore and spat, and clutched her feet, and asked YISUN a stupid question.

"Lord!" said she, in roiling frustration, "Before you said there is no such thing as Universal Truth!"

"It was so," said YISUN.

"Then what is all this! This foolery!" said Aesma, with an exaggerated sweep of her ashen arms, "Isn't creation itself, the entirety of your own grand work, a self-evident truth? The only self evident truth, in fact!"

"It is not so," said YISUN, stopping their pace.

"Then what is it?" wailed Aesma, starting to tantrum. This was the question that caused YISUN to hesitate. They meditated on it for a short time only, but Aesma was aghast with wonderment at the power of the question.

"My opinion," said YISUN, finally.

"Is it a correct opinion?" said Aesma, awestruck.

“Aesma is observant,” said YISUN.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

idonotlikepeas posted:

The story of the Silver Prince probably has some relevance here. Once he acknowledged that violence was inescapable, that didn't mean that he himself had to become a master of it; he was able to use the violence of others to serve his own ends. It wasn't the life he wanted, but he was able to find peace in it not just despite, but because of acknowledging the violence inherent in the human condition.

There's doubtless going to be some rad fighting coming up, whether it's against Jagganoth, Incubus, the omnicidal army of Belligerent Knights, etc. But there's no way that Allison beats Jagganoth by just kicking the poo poo out of him. Maybe she'll point out the most serious flaw in his plan: if YISUN, a being canonically stated to have all possible knowledge and power, couldn't make a better world than this, why would he, a person whose only ability seems to be the power to fight really well, be able to do so?

I mean, there's the problem that YISUN probably DIDNT want to create a "better" world than this. a "better" world from the perspective of most people would be incredibly dull to YISUN. never forget the initial act of division was divine suicide out of sheer boredom

also gog represents worms and their power of decay obv

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 16, 2023

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Gog-agog is going to show up again and give either Allison or Jagganoth exactly what they want from her. How hard she twists the knife first is up in the air.

No, I honestly think she's going to show up and give both Allison and Jagganoth exactly what they want from her. She won't even be trying to twist the knife, too. I believe in Gog-Agog.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Curtana posted:

No, I honestly think she's going to show up and give both Allison and Jagganoth exactly what they want from her. She won't even be trying to twist the knife, too. I believe in Gog-Agog.
Gog parachute spotted.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Given enough time we'll all be Gog parachute accounts.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

girl dick energy posted:

Gog parachute spotted.

Their alt-account too.

Must be weird to go skydiving with yourself. And yourself. And yourself. And-...

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Thyrork posted:

Their alt-account too.

Must be weird to go skydiving with yourself. And yourself. And yourself. And-...
The sky is also yourself. So is the ground.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Why didn't Jagganoth attack Metatron directly? Does he think he isn't strong enough yet?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
probably. metatron is the closest remaining thing to God in the setting and the keys are literally his words made manifest. his take on “PERISH” would probably be way more potent

that or jagganoth wants the keys to circumvent the time rewind that he assumes would happen upon his rebellion

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

Why didn't Jagganoth attack Metatron directly? Does he think he isn't strong enough yet?

Metatron exists in the ethereal plane where angels' bodies are corporeal, but mortals are shades. And even if you are there it's questionable you'd even know where to find him.

Also Jagganoth's invincibility literally comes from Metatron - the nails in his back are Metatron's feathers. I've got a feeling he couldn't hurt Metatron if he tried.

Really though, no one really knows or understands the nature and depth of Metatron's power. He's kept the charade of being subjugated by Zoss up for a long time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Metatron exists in the ethereal plane where angels' bodies are corporeal, but mortals are shades.

I wonder what Giant Voltron Ladies are in that realm

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Really though, no one really knows or understands the nature and depth of Metatron's power. He's kept the charade of being subjugated by Zoss up for a long time.

is it a charade though? every narrator on the subject we've had so far has been unreliable, with the exception of the scene of him invading white chain's mind. 1 michael's perspective is the closest one we know to being what metatron wants, and his statement is an empty sterlie heaven with the king still on their throne.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Of course we can't really know for sure, since there may be other revelations, but Jagganoth's assertion that Metatron is control of Zoss and not the other way around seems likely. And since most people believe Zoss was the one that dominated Metatron and stole the names, instead of being enslaved by Metatron, yeah, it seems like a charade to me.

I don't think 2 Michael is reliable at all though, he seems like just another pawn with incomplete information. He thinks the heir will join Metatron to bring in the new pure world, when Metratron actually just wants Jagganoth to kill everyone (again) and start a new cycle with the same problems (again). If Metatron even has "wants" and isn't just a broken computer-god.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 16, 2023

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I suspect Zoss and Metatron are in direct conflict, with neither actually having control of the other. If either is in a position of power I think it’s Zoss, but Metatron seems more like a cosmic disaster that Zoss has yet to overcome and definitely caused by breaking God’s Scribe.

Remember we saw Metatron and he is physically broken with wings coming out of the cracks, and all the other Prime Angels were slain by Zoss. The “Metatron’s in charge” account is very ‘this isn’t blood it’s victory wine’ on Juggernaut’s part.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, there's a lot that's unknown about Metatron. He had the names and the godly power the whole time - how else would Zoss have taken them from him? - but apparently never used them until Zoss and the other mortals appeared and colonized Throne. Why sit on that much power that long, and then NOW use that power? If he really wants to remake the world, couldn't he have done that on his own long ago? Is it revenge against Zoss for slaughtering the angels and torturing him? Is he a broken machine? Are his reasons just so completely inscrutable and alien they can't be comprehended?

We definitely don't have all the revelations yet. I'm always keeping in mind he's God's scribe, not God itself, and what that might mean.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 16, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Joe Slowboat posted:

I suspect Zoss and Metatron are in direct conflict, with neither actually having control of the other. If either is in a position of power I think it’s Zoss, but Metatron seems more like a cosmic disaster that Zoss has yet to overcome and definitely caused by breaking God’s Scribe.

Remember we saw Metatron and he is physically broken with wings coming out of the cracks, and all the other Prime Angels were slain by Zoss. The “Metatron’s in charge” account is very ‘this isn’t blood it’s victory wine’ on Juggernaut’s part.

This seems likely. If there's any truth to Jagganoth's narrative, I suspect that Metatron may have cut some kind of deal with Zoss in order to further his own plans, but not one where Zoss willingly bent the knee.

Michael, Jagganoth, and Zoss are all nominally working for Metatron (in at least one telling of the story) and are all working at cross purposes with each other. If they were all willingly serving a role in Metatron's scheme then the redundancy wouldn't be necessary. They're all multiple contingencies set up by Metatron in order to engineer a win-win scenario. If Michael wins, history comes full circle and plays out the same way as it did before and Metatron gets a stagnant world. If Jagganoth wins, the universe is cleansed and Metatron gets a completely sterile, stagnant world. And the best Zoss can do in the face of such opposition is to mash the reset button and try again, leading to yet another form of stagnation. In no case does the multiverse substantially evolve beyond its current state.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, there's a lot that's unknown about Metatron. He had the names and the godly power the whole time - how else would Zoss have taken them from him? - but apparently never used them until Zoss and the other mortals appeared and colonized Throne. Why sit on that much power that long, and then NOW use that power? If he really wants to remake the world, couldn't he have done that on his own long ago? Is it revenge against Zoss for slaughtering the angels and torturing him? Is he a broken machine? Are his reasons just so completely inscrutable and alien they can't be comprehended?

It's been mentioned that Metatron is heavily restricted by The Old Law that Koss forged into the angels. There are plenty of angels that abandoned the new laws of man, but no angel is capable, at all, of violating the old law, it was shaped into them when they were made and is fundamental to their very existence. (Although who knows about new White Chain).

Metatron has the power to win, instantly, but the Old Law won't let him. Granting power to Zoss was probably his way of loopholing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 16, 2023

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I keep thinking about Myself, who seems to be some sort of cosmic opposite to Metatron and whose big foreshadowed moment hasn't come up yet.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

We definitely don't have all the revelations yet. I'm always keeping in mind he's God's scribe, not God itself, and what that might mean.

Angels don't change, don't create, and they don't rule. Even just the regular ones are constantly emphasized to be nigh-unstoppable badasses but they're totally absent from the upper echelons of any organization, where even purpose-bred servitors like Mammon pop up from time to time, and we can infer from the common thread between his followers that even among angels Metatron is exceptionally into keeping everyone in their rigidly defined roles.

I don't think Metatron wants to, or is capable of conceptualizing, remaking the world, on his own or otherwise. All of his pawns think the whole cycle is working towards some kind of static endpoint where time will stop (literally or metaphorically) and things will be perfect forever, and that's always been presented as delusional. The world inexorably moves forwards, through violence and suffering, but Metatron fears change above all; and while he can't freeze the universe in place or end conflict forever he can at least keep it from evolving beyond his ken by diverting the biggest agents of change to keep it running in the same circle over and over.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 16, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I keep thinking about Myself, who seems to be some sort of cosmic opposite to Metatron and whose big foreshadowed moment hasn't come up yet.
Minor tangent but this page always gets a chuckle out of me. I miss this old Dog and the vault is still one of my favorite arcs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope they turn back time just enough to have more adventures with grandpa dog.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Carve a new reality where Mammon and Vigilant Gaze sit on a shaded veranda, sip iced tea, and discuss their grandchildren.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Angels can violate the Old Law, it's just doing so is incredibly injurious to them.

The shape Metatron is in indicates he definitely did some no-nos, imo.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Even just the regular ones are constantly emphasized to be nigh-unstoppable badasses but they're totally absent from the upper echelons of any organization

Vash had a high ranking angel in his org, Delicious. So not totally absent.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 16, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

An old quote from Operant that might be relevant, asked if it was possible for an Angel to become a demiurge

quote:

They (quite literally) don’t have the ambition for it, because the Old Law hammered into their beings prevents it. You can see this with 2 Michael and Metatron, who are extremely powerful beings (Metatron himself being a remnant of true divinity and magnitudes more powerful than any of the Demiurges), but must concoct very convoluted plots to get their efforts to rule Throne in order to get around their prohibition on ruling.

Injured as he is, Metatron still knows all the secret names of God and all the Divine Words. Zoss himself drew the power needed to create the keys for the demiurges directly from Metatron. If Metatron desired it, he could wipe Throne clean of life by merely speaking it. But he cannot.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I wonder how Metatron will be portrayed when he finally appears again. I feel like he's the sort who's too formidable to directly speak to Allison and so will need some sort of interpreter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, that was a problem when he spoke to White Chain