Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Annointed posted:

Just post the name and source instead of vague posting.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be vague, he's pretty famous here in Australia which is why it felt odd to treat it as a joke.

Wikipedia posted:

Rolf Harris appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 23 September 2013, charged with nine counts of indecent assault and four counts of making indecent images of children. His lawyer indicated that Harris would plead not guilty and he was subsequently bailed. In December 2013, the Crown Prosecution Service confirmed that Harris was facing three further counts of sexual assault. The CPS said that the new charges were of alleged assault against females aged nineteen in 1984, aged seven or eight in 1968 or 1969, and aged fourteen in 1975.

He was convicted and spent several years in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sorry I wasn't trying to be vague, he's pretty famous here in Australia which is why it felt odd to treat it as a joke.

Okay, I thought you were referring to the deleted verse about Aboriginal people.

We were at a karaoke place when a friend put that song on to a mostly-bewildered group; it showed up and we'd never seen that line and it was an instant "NEXT SONG RIGHT NOW!".

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

stillvisions posted:

Okay, I thought you were referring to the deleted verse about Aboriginal people.

We were at a karaoke place when a friend put that song on to a mostly-bewildered group; it showed up and we'd never seen that line and it was an instant "NEXT SONG RIGHT NOW!".

Yeah, to be fair if you wiki the name of the song you'll find out about the racist verse before you find out he's a massive nonce (OBE)

Annointed posted:

Just post the name and source instead of vague posting.

Can you guess who it is yet?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 15, 2023

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Thank you for the information. Stars above that is horrifying.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, to be fair if you wiki the name of the song you'll find out about the racist verse before you find out he's a massive nonce (OBE)

Can you guess who it is yet?

Since OP gave the sauce yes.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Annointed posted:

Since OP gave the sauce yes.

That was a joke. “Can you guess what it is yet?” was the guy's catchphrase when he was painting on TV.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

nine-gear crow posted:

It's kind of amazing that Dan has effectively killed NFTs and the Metaverse now over the course of two two-hour videos.

Idk if I'd put that all on his videos because those things were pretty much killing themselves. But I will bet good money he has become the bane of the people who are still trying to sell the grift to a next batch of suckers because now there's a readily available source that pokes giant holes in all of their claims.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think Line Goes Up came out at basically the perfect time, NFT's weren't exactly dead yet but they were on the downturn and desperate to find new suckers to inject capital, and NFT's/Crypto were on a huge marketing blitz when Dan swooped in with the most digestible and comprehensive takedown of the whole system, to the point that several major crypto outfits like CoinDesk felt the need to try and publicly respond to it. The Future is a Dead Mall is a good video, but it's much more just beating a dead horse: Horizon Worlds was, if not dead on arrival, pretty close to it and Zuck's floundering on it has even penetrated the mainstream.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sydin posted:

I think Line Goes Up came out at basically the perfect time, NFT's weren't exactly dead yet but they were on the downturn and desperate to find new suckers to inject capital, and NFT's/Crypto were on a huge marketing blitz when Dan swooped in with the most digestible and comprehensive takedown of the whole system, to the point that several major crypto outfits like CoinDesk felt the need to try and publicly respond to it. The Future is a Dead Mall is a good video, but it's much more just beating a dead horse: Horizon Worlds was, if not dead on arrival, pretty close to it and Zuck's floundering on it has even penetrated the mainstream.

Line Goes Up was an execution. The Future is a Dead Mall was an autopsy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I want to see him dissect chatbots.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Haven't finished it yet, but Youtube recommended me a retrospective on one specific Doom WAD that is really cool and a lot more than just a simple ordinary Doom WAD. It's very clearly designed to play on your expectations of what Doom is, does and is even really capable of at all. That is first apparent super early with something as innocuous as what appears to be proper 3D spacing and it just goes from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wAo54DHDY0

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

What gets me is that its not the only one that messes heavily with the player's expectations released this year, the other one being The Thing You Can't Defeat aka the Everywhere At The End of Time Doom WAD.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

hosed up that his title was so misleading

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Famethrowa posted:

It did go up for a little while after! Then it went down.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

It was still going up when he posted the video, so he wins on the technicality.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

Also for what it's worth, within less than a month of Dan publishing The Future is a Dead Mall, Facebook officially shuttered its own attempt at the Metaverse, ie: the thing that Zuck renamed his whole company to chase after. The two probably aren't related, but it just feels close enough that you could draw the conclusion that Dan's video was the last nail in the coffin for Zuck's impulsive dream.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lotus Aura posted:

Haven't finished it yet, but Youtube recommended me a retrospective on one specific Doom WAD that is really cool and a lot more than just a simple ordinary Doom WAD. It's very clearly designed to play on your expectations of what Doom is, does and is even really capable of at all. That is first apparent super early with something as innocuous as what appears to be proper 3D spacing and it just goes from there.

For people who don’t know Doom mapping, myhouse.wad uses a significantly modified and expanded variant of the Doom engine (GZDoom) that can do tons of things the original Doom code can’t. GZDoom is also responsible for those videos and articles you see every so often that have clickbait headlines like “You never knew Doom could do this!” and it looks like a Unity horror game.

That said even for a GZDoom wad it’s especially crafty.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Jose goes for the sitcom more people should know about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f3nevdEKJA

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

nine-gear crow posted:

Also for what it's worth, within less than a month of Dan publishing The Future is a Dead Mall, Facebook officially shuttered its own attempt at the Metaverse, ie: the thing that Zuck renamed his whole company to chase after. The two probably aren't related, but it just feels close enough that you could draw the conclusion that Dan's video was the last nail in the coffin for Zuck's impulsive dream.

I've had to sit through irl conversations with true metaverse believers similar to the guy Dan quotes in the video that says the metaverse will obsolete the modern city (lol). It's funny because if you actually interrogate them all the way down to the logical conclusion of the metaverse replacing reality you find out they're essentially arguing for fully automated luxury gay space communism, except instead of communism it's some kind of libertarian hellscape. How will you eat if your whole life is in the metaverse? Food will be delivered. Who delivers the food? Drones. Who cooks the food? Robots. Who grows the actual crops/animals/etc that compose ingredients and then ships them to the the restaurant to be cooked? More robots. Who's building and maintaining all of these robots? Other robots. And not only do they believe this fully automated world that supports all of us loving off to the metaverse for 16 hours a day is possible, they genuinely think it's right around the corner, just a matter of years once everybody comes to their senses.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
That’s the point of science fiction propaganda. Technology will solve all problems instantly so there isn’t any point in trying to solutions that don’t instantly and painlessly fix everything. Robots for endless slave labor. VR for endless distractions. Space travel for endless frontiers to consume.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Star Trek, only lovely?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

One of the weirder parts of DQ 11 was the main character just ominously staring through every voice acted cutscene. It would have probably been fine though if they hadn’t added voice acting when they localized it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mix. posted:

new munecat new munecat new munecat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcxZFmKrxR8
I'm still making my way through this, since there's only so much dumb I can take at any given time.

Speaking of, though - it seems entirely appropriate that the Danish variant of the sovereign citizen movement has named itself after the latin (originally greek) word for headless.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

DeafNote posted:

Jose goes for the sitcom more people should know about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f3nevdEKJA

I loved the first two seasons, but I fell off hard during the third. It wasn't all the show (I was going through poo poo at the time), but I recall a definite vibe shift that I didn't care for

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Shinji2015 posted:

I loved the first two seasons, but I fell off hard during the third. It wasn't all the show (I was going through poo poo at the time), but I recall a definite vibe shift that I didn't care for

The Prison season that's an extended Shawshank Redemption parody is actually really good. Season 4 (the final one) is dire though.

I still think Joy is one of the most original takes on the Kramer/Bender sitcom archtype.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioj09w1zbg4
Jane watches more movies with former Degrassi stars.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lotus Aura posted:

This mod loving rules, this plays with impossible space in the way that I was expecting Control to be like when I started playing it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Twincityhacker posted:

Star Trek, only lovely?

It's Star Trek, the Ferengi part of it

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

TheMightyBoops posted:

One of the weirder parts of DQ 11 was the main character just ominously staring through every voice acted cutscene. It would have probably been fine though if they hadn’t added voice acting when they localized it.

it's even funnier when you briefly go back to the past and meet the main character's child self, who has... fully voiced dialog

also uh are you in the right thread

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Oh yeah my house dot wad was discussed in the video game hoax thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343771

It's pretty neat!

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

dmboogie posted:

it's even funnier when you briefly go back to the past and meet the main character's child self, who has... fully voiced dialog

also uh are you in the right thread

Oh whoops. Too late now.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's kind of amazing that Dan has effectively killed NFTs and the Metaverse now over the course of two two-hour videos.

I can't wait for him to pull a hat trick and kill ChatGPT.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Sadly, ChatGPT seems to have achieved a bigger foothold among normal internet users, so I don't see it burning up and flaming out any time soon like NFTs and the Metaverse did.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ChatGPT is a fun novelty for ordinary online people, so it's already about twelve billion times more useful than NFTs.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 16, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
AI generated content hasn't run its course until we get a really terrible cartoon out of it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

RareAcumen posted:

This mod loving rules, this plays with impossible space in the way that I was expecting Control to be like when I started playing it.

I never thought I'd actually see House of Leaves The Game and my heart is bursting :lovewcc:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

At least that one is going to have practical use when it will be properly integrated in search engines and Word

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mycot posted:

AI generated content hasn't run its course until we get a really terrible cartoon out of it.

the writers strike came just in time for some dumbass TV executives to attempt to use GPT as a scab writer

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Well it couldn’t exactly do worse than some of the poo poo that’s on TV these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

chatgpt absolutely isn't going away. it's being implemented on the corporate level for things like coding already.

and honestly? for very specific use cases, mostly spitting out boilerplate code to run testing, it's very good in the right hands.