Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LeeMajors posted:

You sure they weren’t saying ethanol units, usually in mcg/dl?

Positive. I've been re-watching the show off and on while I fill out job applications all day, every day, and they consistently mess up the BAC stuff for the first two seasons. They get it right in season 3 (which is when I think they got a new medical advisor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Smh at how many of you forgot Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zelda boss spoiler

colgara fight loving rules

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

JD: Yes it was a tad unorthodox and yes it'll be tough to live down....
Elliot: I'm waiting for the but
JD: So's everyone else

I've got a terrible case of the gottasee'ems

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I watched so much mash reruns growing up I used to be able to pick the ending based on the opening gag.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm at a Double OT AHL Playoff game

I'm so cold

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I know it kinda went to poo poo but I really liked House. I don't know if the medical stuff was plausible, exactly, but they clearly made some kind of an effort. I may be biased in favor of Hugh Laurie though.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I used to like House, but then I saw the autistic doctor screaming at a transexual girl in one of the most tone deaf scenes Ive ever seen and I can never go back.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Triple OT

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
From what I've read, Scrubs is the show medical professionals say is the most medically accurate. House is not too far behind, and because it focuses on rare illnesses, the focus on diagnosis and treatment is actually accurate.

Grey's Anatomy is one of the most inaccurate.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Well except for the running theme of "we treat the diagnosis and if the patient gets better that's how we know we got it right" followed by it being wrong every single episode and making the patient much worse

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Intruder posted:

Well except for the running theme of "we treat the diagnosis and if the patient gets better that's how we know we got it right" followed by it being wrong every single episode and making the patient much worse

That's because it's not actually a medical show, it's a murder mystery show. They're trying to figure out how and why the patient is dying "Something murdered the liver, let's figure out who." Figure out the best suspect, try and catch that suspect, turns out it was someone completely different and now the pancreas is also dead, so they go and figure out a new suspect. How often is the first suspect the right one in CSI?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The best medical show was Nip/Tuck

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pron on VHS posted:

The best medical show was Nip/Tuck

That show actually had a really good portrayal of surgical medical care for trans patients like 15 years before that clip from The Good Doctor. Like, a time period when Jon Stewart was telling jokes about "chicks with dicks" on The Daily Show.

Of course they also had an episode where the teenage son injures himself by performing a self circumcision (not related to the trans episode in any way, he was embarrassed by how his penis looked with foreskin).

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

That's because it's not actually a medical show, it's a murder mystery show. They're trying to figure out how and why the patient is dying "Something murdered the liver, let's figure out who." Figure out the best suspect, try and catch that suspect, turns out it was someone completely different and now the pancreas is also dead, so they go and figure out a new suspect. How often is the first suspect the right one in CSI?

House is just sherlock holmes that became a doctor and had less autism.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BlindSite posted:

House is just sherlock holmes that became a doctor and had less autism.

It was my favorite binge of the 2020 lockdowns, because I find police procedurals comforting, but at the time couldn't get past the copaganda of the vast majority of it. So a police procedural where the only actual cop of note was a season long villain felt really good.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Been watching Bones a lot lately.

It's neat

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

It was my favorite binge of the 2020 lockdowns, because I find police procedurals comforting, but at the time couldn't get past the copaganda of the vast majority of it. So a police procedural where the only actual cop of note was a season long villain felt really good.

You might enjoy this show https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21942560/ It's a police show but it's a joint BBC / Aus production if you can "find" it. Samwell Tarly from game of thrones plays an english detective who comes to Australia to observe on a case when the UK Trade Minister's daughter is found dead in Sydney Harbor.

For once it's not some hard bitten smoking, hard drinking detective. He's kind of kindly and nice and very smart and it's a pretty fresh take on an otherwise pretty wrote formula.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

House's portrayal of compartment syndrome is pretty good except I'm not a loser like him who abuses painkillers :smug:

Tho I'm wondering why they wouldn't just scrape all the bad nerves out like they did with me instead of leaving them dangling for him to suffer. Better drama or something I guess. Im not sure they thought about it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Air Skwirl posted:

In this Lupus is the random minority who's just near the scene of the crime.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Stan the Caddy from Seinfeld was Quark! Mind blown.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I dx’d a patient with fatty embolism syndrome the other day (thanks for nothing medical consult) and my first thought was if that was ever on house.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FizFashizzle posted:

I dx’d a patient with fatty embolism syndrome the other day (thanks for nothing medical consult) and my first thought was if that was ever on house.

It was! It was actually the final diagnosis in the episode that aired right after Super Bowl. The patient was a researcher at an inaccessible outpost in Antarctica so they had to do everything over Skype.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

It was! It was actually the final diagnosis in the episode that aired right after Super Bowl. The patient was a researcher at an inaccessible outpost in Antarctica so they had to do everything over Skype.

Nice!

I’m on the ortho services at the moment and patient with b/l femur fx had acute mental status change and her sats would drop to 80 without o2. Medicine was like maybe metabolic? and didn’t even order labs. Ct was negative. Medicine final note was “consider neuro consult”

I’m not supposed to but I just went ahead and ordered the full workup. Felt good man

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm up early and I guess I'm watching Jennifer's Body. It's interesting how this has come around and became a cult classic.

Also how Amanda Sigfried & Megan Fox's careers went after this movie.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Nice!

I’m on the ortho services at the moment and patient with b/l femur fx had acute mental status change and her sats would drop to 80 without o2. Medicine was like maybe metabolic? and didn’t even order labs. Ct was negative. Medicine final note was “consider neuro consult”

I’m not supposed to but I just went ahead and ordered the full workup. Felt good man

Good catch but lol that’s like cardinal presentation—so funny that they jumped right to metabolic.

Maybe they just hammer emboli extra hard in paramedic pathophys for like basically any unexplained desat.

—————-

I did catch a new 18yo DM patient the other day with 2 days of vomiting, hypotension, dizziness. No PMH. Glucose 213. Tachy in the 130s. So I started volume repletion, and monitored.

Less than 5min into transport his map drops by like 40 and his HR is irregular so I run a strip—looks sinus (p waves clearly present) with an absolute fuckload of multifocal ectopy. Not particularly wide, but organized. Hyperkalemic looking t waves on 12lead. Ectopy self resolved and never returned during transport.

Hand it to the PA, who looked maybe 25. “Probably artifact.”
“We were sitting still. And it’s organized.”
“Artifact isn’t always motion.”
Ok, dude, I’ve prob been doing this since you were 10.

Glucose shot up to high 500s over the next couple hours. A1X >14.

Got 150 amio in ED after a short run of pulsed VT, then went to ICU on 15u/hr insulin and a dilt drip after another run of RVR lol

Sick kid. All that plus AKI and fatty liver disease.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 16, 2023

T-Square
May 14, 2009

MrLogan posted:

Good to know ableist insults are still ok.

Sorry about your limp dick OP :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm up early and I guess I'm watching Jennifer's Body. It's interesting how this has come around and became a cult classic.

This movie slapped then and I'll bet it still slaps now. Been a while since I've seen it though.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Seyfried put in the work and is respected as an actress, and Megan Fox stayed Megan Fox

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Everyone has talked about how it's become a cult classic or whatever and while the story is interesting, God the dialogue in it is just so painful. Honestly just watch Teeth instead as it's much better and has a better female empowerment arc in my opinion.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

House and Cuddy is one of the best examples of a toxic relaxation ship in fiction I can think of

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GD_American posted:

Seyfried put in the work and is respected as an actress, and Megan Fox stayed Megan Fox

Seyfried's probably a better actress, but also Megan Fox started to speak out against the sexism she experienced in Hollywood (the audition process for Transformers involved washing Michael Bay's car in a swim suit, etc.) and she was immediately labeled "difficult."

It's a pretty common tale that an actress who suddenly drops off the map is someone who eventually spoke out against the sexual harassment she was experiencing and then got black listed. Peter Jackson wanted Ashley Judd for Galadriel in Lord of the Rings but was told she was "difficult" by Harvey Weinstein after she didn't let him assault her for example.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Good catch but lol that’s like cardinal presentation—so funny that they jumped right to metabolic.

Maybe they just hammer emboli extra hard in paramedic pathophys for like basically any unexplained desat.

—————-
Stuff

Dude ER docs and trauma surgeons are amazing to watch.

The scope of what they have to know and be able to bust out is insane.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Air Skwirl posted:

Seyfried's probably a better actress, but also Megan Fox started to speak out against the sexism she experienced in Hollywood (the audition process for Transformers involved washing Michael Bay's car in a swim suit, etc.) and she was immediately labeled "difficult."

It's a pretty common tale that an actress who suddenly drops off the map is someone who eventually spoke out against the sexual harassment she was experiencing and then got black listed. Peter Jackson wanted Ashley Judd for Galadriel in Lord of the Rings but was told she was "difficult" by Harvey Weinstein after she didn't let him assault her for example.

Not just actresses either. A former studio mate of mine when I was part of another art studio went to LA & started working at Nickelodeon Animation. She was working on Regular Show and actually got onboard as part of their writing room, but when she started pushing back on some jokes that were a bit too edgy she was labeled "difficult" and long story short, she's not working in animation anymore.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Air Skwirl posted:

Both can be true; I absolutely believe Megan Fox was the recipient of probably-worse-than-standard Hollywood sexism, and also that she's also a terrible actress.

The Transformers role was particularly icky even at the time. I wondered if Bay had a goddamn camera mounted on a speculum for a couple of shots.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Not just actresses either. A former studio mate of mine when I was part of another art studio went to LA & started working at Nickelodeon Animation. She was working on Regular Show and actually got onboard as part of their writing room, but when she started pushing back on some jokes that were a bit too edgy she was labeled "difficult" and long story short, she's not working in animation anymore.

That show was on Cartoon Network. Your story doesn’t add up. Jon Frakes voice: it never happened.

Take him away boys.

https://youtu.be/LBOvfN2Y4oo

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Sports writers are very good at turning out “old man yells at cloud” articles, and this is the old manliest, cloud-yellingest I’ve seen in a minute.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Dude ER docs and trauma surgeons are amazing to watch.

The scope of what they have to know and be able to bust out is insane.

I once missed a tension pneumo (broken rib, SoB but she had uncontrolled afib in the 190s, lungs sounded clear). Doc walks in for 2 seconds and says she has a pneumothorax. I was like what the gently caress she has breath sounds I checked them 5 times so we listened together and was like “it’s a little tinny, I think it’s a loud echo from the other side.” CXR showed mediastinum shift.

Ok then. Hahaha.

Still had no explanation for uncontrolled RVR. My pet theory is mediastinum shift causing coronary valve stenosis/occlusion—>atrial fib but there was no real way to find out.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That show was on Cartoon Network. Your story doesn’t add up. Jon Frakes voice: it never happened.

Take him away boys.

https://youtu.be/LBOvfN2Y4oo

For gently caress's sake I was trying to remember who made Regular Show as I never watched it and I could even see the Cartoon Network logo in my head as I typed out "Nickelodeon".

No two bits about it: my brain is turning into pudding. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

a neat cape posted:

House and Cuddy is one of the best examples of a toxic relaxation ship in fiction I can think of

House and Wilson too. And House and 13. And House and his green card wife.