Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

You can't spoiler a loving transformer toy lol

Some toys can be spoilers if they're of a character in an upcoming movie/comic/series/game

The real problem of course is Hasbro apparently lets thieves control the perception of their products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Oh, they're loving up as a business too
How is it even possible for them to gently caress up as a business when they've already convinced people that Magic: the Gathering cards are worth more than the few cents it costs to print off some proxies? They're basically printing their own money.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The MSJ posted:

The real problem of course is Hasbro apparently lets thieves control the perception of their products.

The MSJ posted:

The toys have not been announced or revealed by Hasbro. We only know of them at most as names (or codenames) from leaked Walmart or Target store listings up to a year before the are sold. But certain individuals have managed to obtain early copies of these toys months before Hasbro even reveal what they look like. These early copies often come from Vietnam, where toys are manufactured, without packing and even with paint or design different from the final product. The popular theory is that these toys are either factory rejects or outright stolen from them. There's a couple of accounts on YouTube that got famous from reviewing them already.

Weird thing is Hasbro doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. Even when doing their semi weekly announcements, they don't show off toys that has been leaked already.
Good news, we now know hiring detective agencies is in their playbook.

Annual reminder that the marketing cycle is not for enthusiasts. Starting marketing when the first physical bit runs off the line is too early as anyone who you might convert is just going to forget about it. Nerds furiously following every rumor are already converted. Their goal is a tight 3-6mo period of loud announcements to get on people's minds just in time for a mix of planned and impulse purchases. Leaks are a source of fatigue, confusion, and forgetfulness for the targeted segment so the goal will be to cut them off and memory hole them instead of embrace or overtake the leak. At best allow them to exist in enthusiasts rabbit holes that take a lot of effort to get into as proof that you're basically already converted.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tiggum posted:

How is it even possible for them to gently caress up as a business when they've already convinced people that Magic: the Gathering cards are worth more than the few cents it costs to print off some proxies? They're basically printing their own money.

Because Hasbro has been struggling lately and need cash in any way possible

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

zedprime posted:

Good news, we now know hiring detective agencies is in their playbook.

Annual reminder that the marketing cycle is not for enthusiasts. Starting marketing when the first physical bit runs off the line is too early as anyone who you might convert is just going to forget about it. Nerds furiously following every rumor are already converted. Their goal is a tight 3-6mo period of loud announcements to get on people's minds just in time for a mix of planned and impulse purchases. Leaks are a source of fatigue, confusion, and forgetfulness for the targeted segment so the goal will be to cut them off and memory hole them instead of embrace or overtake the leak. At best allow them to exist in enthusiasts rabbit holes that take a lot of effort to get into as proof that you're basically already converted.

On top of that there's the whole game balance cycle which powers the secondary card markets, which Wizards and Hasbro care about more than they want to admit because if for no other reason it will influence demand for the cards they're trying to market now.

I don't know exactly what's in the current meta, but I'll try to give an example for the non-MTG players. Let us suppose that the current set has a blue creature that costs three mana that everyone is playing in every deck in multiple formats because it's just good. It's thus a chase card for the current set, worth $50/copy, and people are speculating that it will remain in some formats as a major card for a long time, so they're hoarding them and that keeps the price up. The spoiler then reveals a 1-mana common card that reads "remove target blue creature with cost 3 or less from the game," which is niche in most circumstances, but which directly undermines that chase card. The card will still be good, but no longer totally dominant. Even if that response is not coming out for six months, its price will drop because it's no longer an "eternal staple" and it's say, $15, because people just want their copies for standard play. And knowing that it's coming removes the motivation for people to chase the card and crack those packs, and it pisses off the speculators (which includes the stores who you're already pissing off), who are essentially the whales in their microtransaction scam game. Even worse, some people might even just sit out competitive play for a while until that response shows up.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean some of it. It’s effecting the product as a whole. Like Hasbro sees Magic as a cash cow and they are doing stuff that will extract money from that cow.

And guess who they are selling that cow too? It’s the nerds

What's funny about what Wizards/Hasbro are doing is that it's exactly the same thing TSR did that led to their cratering, and ended up with TSR being bought by WOTC.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

All they had to do is send a C&D or even a strike (bleh) for the video and have someone contact this person to ask “hey, how did this happen?” He could have put the video back up on release day, no harm no foul. Who at WotC thinks they have the power to send private security to a single family home over a loving card game?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

All they had to do is send a C&D or even a strike (bleh) for the video and have someone contact this person to ask “hey, how did this happen?” He could have put the video back up on release day, no harm no foul. Who at WotC thinks they have the power to send private security to a single family home over a loving card game?

Not just any private security. They sent loving Pinkerton after the guy. Might as well sent the mob in pinstripe suits wielding tommy guns.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Crescent Wrench posted:

SKITTLES GUMMIES
ARE GUMMY SKITTLES

FRUITY! DELICIOUS! DELICIOUS! FRUITY!
BAH GAWD ARE THEY FRUITY :bahgawd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFIewQRbu4M

JR is still the best Skittles hype man

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The MSJ posted:

Not just any private security. They sent loving Pinkerton after the guy. Might as well sent the mob in pinstripe suits wielding tommy guns.

If you've already got them investigating your employees that's one way to tell them you're serious

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I mean, I get what you are saying, but they literally do have that power, as evidenced by the fact they just did it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The MSJ posted:

75% of all Transformers toy reveals now are done by people who obtained sus copies of said toy on social media.

This is pathetic in ways I can't even begin to articulate.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah give em a break. It's been like 3 years since a Pinkerton killed someone. Would you prefer the cops show up?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

All they had to do is send a C&D or even a strike (bleh) for the video

On what grounds?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Platystemon posted:

On what grounds?

Oh I have no idea, I was just spitballing ideas that were better than the loving Pinkertons

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/SpiderLasagna/status/1651418573905055745?t=yXzFsKD65fA7tM29ueJnfw&s=19

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Red bird confirmed canon bi

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Congratulations Angry Birds on your first LGBT character.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'll admit, "Pass...that's a kid. Pass, another kid! ...Age appropiate! Smash!" got a :lol: out of me.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Freudian posted:

Red bird confirmed canon bi

Slingshot bi actually, if the games are anything to go by. :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sighence posted:

Slingshot bi actually, if the games are anything to go by. :v:

:mods:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

they're right

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Stellaratum/status/1652588754379366401

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Amnesty international is a gently caress up organization in general, this is in line with how they run things.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

AI-generated images have started popping up left and right on stock image sites. The ones I've seen are all labeled as such but it's very annoying to see what looks like a cool illustration and then realize it's AI generated and looks like nonsense when you actually stare at it. Thankfully I haven't seen any that are trying to look like photos like that garbage above, but it's just a matter of time.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

MokBa posted:

AI-generated images have started popping up left and right on stock image sites. The ones I've seen are all labeled as such but it's very annoying to see what looks like a cool illustration and then realize it's AI generated and looks like nonsense when you actually stare at it. Thankfully I haven't seen any that are trying to look like photos like that garbage above, but it's just a matter of time.

This is a real screenshot from one of those 'hey buy our fake human stock images' sites. All of the ad copy is dripping with gross unethical implecations.

WHY DOES THIS CHILD LOOK SO WORRIED IF THE IMAGES ARE WORRY-FREE

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oh, they got this all screwed up.

"Worry! Free face portraits!"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/ThatSamWinkler/status/1657154071051239424

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Why is Osmosis Jones on that wall?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/ICantThinkEm/status/1656773923692847107

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I'm trying to think of anything other than the slur that could be referring to but I'm coming up empty. Apparently they're changing it to Vulcan Orange now?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Looking at the color I'm assuming they were meaning rust as in "a chink in the armor" but not one person said "you're an idiot".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Push El Burrito posted:

Looking at the color I'm assuming they were meaning rust as in "a chink in the armor" but not one person said "you're an idiot".

But that's a crack or chip, so it can't be that

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Marcade posted:

I'm trying to think of anything other than the slur that could be referring to but I'm coming up empty. Apparently they're changing it to Vulcan Orange now?

That word was a synonym for 'caulk', and back when that was a major definition, it referred to the orange-ish filler between the boards of sailing ships and log cabins.

quote:

Oakum is a preparation of tarred fibre used to seal gaps.[1] Its main traditional applications were in shipbuilding, for caulking or packing the joints of timbers in wooden vessels and the deck planking of iron and steel ships;[1] in plumbing, for sealing joints in cast iron pipe; and in log cabins for chinking.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakum

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 16:28 on May 16, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnG4aplkw4s

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Byzantine posted:

That word was a synonym for 'caulk', and back when that was a major definition, it referred to the orange-ish filler between the boards of sailing ships and log cabins.

Hey, I learned something today. Neat.

They probably should have called it chinking orange, or oakum orange, or, ya know, basically anything else, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, God, this company has form.

https://twitter.com/linalinadc/status/1656795509707751425

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Jesus christ.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ok nevermind they 100% meant it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Byzantine posted:

years ago i used to work in reality tv, and at one point we were doing a house tour of a log cabin. our regular associate producer was out sick that week, so we had a new person fill in for her, and she happened to be asian-american. in the middle of the tour, the realtor started talking about the chinking between the logs, and this ap's eyes bugged out of her head as she sat down on the couch and buried her face in a throw pillow. as soon as the director yelled cut, she burst into laughter and asked what the gently caress word the realtor kept saying because she mist have misheard, and we had to explain the concept to her. she giggled every time someone said it for the rest of the shoot, to the point that she had to start hiding in closets in order to not ruin takes. she ruled, i wish we'd gotten to work with her more.