Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Automotive Journalism is a loving joke. (Isnt everything though?)
Everyone is so starved for clicks, that all it takes is a "My uncle works at XXXXX, and he said the model YYYYY is for sure coming out" mention on a forum or car show, and you have 4 or 5 websites reporting it as gospel.

I especially loving hate when they ask a CEO or someone behind the scenes at the company a question, and they get a non committal /safe answer, but they still run with it.

Reporter: Hey so before you get on your plane Jim Farley, I have to ask, Im hearing some rumblings on some sub reddits that you all are preparing a version of the Maverick with the Raptor R engine. All for around $25K. Care to elaborate when that might be available to the public?
Jim Farley: *Uncomfortably laughs* "Wouldnt that be something? Haha. We are always looking for new excited ideas for the future"
Reporter: Well, he didnt shoot down the rumor. Id say we can easily put the Maverick Raptor R on our '10 Vehicles worth waiting for list 2024'

Then the next month Car and Driver has a render of the vehicle on their cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gotta get yer clicks

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah every time I try to find out more info about the toyota stout it's just a bunch of clickbait bullshit and no real information

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I’ve found the internet bubble makes it feel like there is more attention or activity than there really is. I mean how many people in my daily life care about any of this or would ever read a word of an “article” for this?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's not the first time disproportionately loud internet voices have gotten IRL attention, and it absolutely won't be the last

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i just hate when they title it as new pics of bumpus mobile and you click it and the video is ai voice and an uncle jim's forum photoshop of an f150 with a fused bed cap and the video is 7 minutes long and just reads out reddit posts

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep. I refuse to click on anything now regarding the stout until Toyota's own official reveal

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

What ever happened to the Maverick version that is hybrid AND AWD?
I remember tons of magazines and articles mentioned this was going to be a thing when talking about the Maverick coming out.
And then I felt like right before the reveal they went "its only Hybrid in FWD, but the AWD version is totally coming soon!"
Did that just go away as rumor/bullshit?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Franco Caution posted:

What ever happened to the Maverick version that is hybrid AND AWD?
I remember tons of magazines and articles mentioned this was going to be a thing when talking about the Maverick coming out.
And then I felt like right before the reveal they went "its only Hybrid in FWD, but the AWD version is totally coming soon!"
Did that just go away as rumor/bullshit?

Ford has been seen testing a plug-in hybrid version, and everybody just jumped to conclusions that it would have an electric rear axle.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Powershift posted:

Ford has been seen testing a plug-in hybrid version, and everybody just jumped to conclusions that it would have an electric rear axle.

That was pretty speculative. The primary evidence I've seen presented of a PHEV Maverick was a blurry picture of one with an EVAP canister remote-mounted to the door which people interpreted as having 'PHEV' written on it but just as well could have been 'FHEV'. IIRC it was also around the timeframe that Ford also got the emissions certification on the Hybrid changed from ULEV50 to SULEV30. Also there were some camouflaged Tremor mules at that time getting their own emissions/economy testing. And the PHEV Escape isn't even available as AWD. Only the Lincoln Corsair does the eAWD thing while the Escape Hybrid utilizes a driveshaft. Mike Levine (Ford NA Product Communication Director) has said they don't feel a plug-in Maverick is necessary.

As for a regular Hybrid AWD? I suspect Ford isn't in a big rush there because they can barely meet demand on them as it is.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

quote:

Enthusiasts rejoice: a six-speed intelligent manual transmission (iMT2) with automatic rev matching and anti-stall technology is available. Manual transmission models produce 270 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft. of torque
Is Turbo Manual 4WD Taco the new Turbo Manual AWD Wagon?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nohearum posted:

Is Turbo Manual 4WD Taco the new Turbo Manual AWD Wagon?

I'm about 75% sure that Toyota has made exactly one (1) turbo manual AWD wagon excluding diesels and it's the Caldina GT-T which is why I was so stoked to actually get my hands on one.

Since they make GR-branded Land Cruisers in cooler countries than ours, think we'll get a GR Tacoma? GR Tundra?
GR Sequoia?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I'm still somewhat shocked Toyota put as much effort into this as they did. A ton of trim levels, different cab options, different bed lengths, manual option, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive suspension, hybrid, and a few out there yet nice color options. That purple/blue is sexy.

Meanwhile GMC and Chevy were like 'the twins come one way now. We didn't really try at all this generation. gently caress you!"

I think the only thing that looks off on the new Taco is on some of the Trims it has this really long Hockey Goalie neck protector thing on the front air drat. Im sure thats for MPG, but that poo poo is huge and looks weird.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
"IsoDynamic Performance Seat" eh?

Welcome to the late 80s and early 90s in Toyota's Japan. What's old is new again :v:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KakerMix posted:

I'm about 75% sure that Toyota has made exactly one (1) turbo manual AWD wagon excluding diesels and it's the Caldina GT-T which is why I was so stoked to actually get my hands on one.

I was gunna say two if you count the ST240 gen, but they were auto only :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hyundai again just loving around for the press attention with no intention of actually selling anything this cool. I'm happy to see my guy Guigiaro getting paid but this sort of thing is such a cock tease when the stuff that filters down and eventually gets sold looks so uninspiring.

https://twitter.com/responsejp/status/1659469216842649600?t=wBxR9zsyrNi1ossTyELrFA&s=19

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I actually think that the Ioniq 6 looks really slick and I'm impressed they shipped a car like that. It's probably going to look dated in a few years but at least it's trying.

I think the Elantra has too many angles and creases right now, though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hyundai again just loving around for the press attention with no intention of actually selling anything this cool. I'm happy to see my guy Guigiaro getting paid but this sort of thing is such a cock tease when the stuff that filters down and eventually gets sold looks so uninspiring.

https://twitter.com/responsejp/status/1659469216842649600?t=wBxR9zsyrNi1ossTyELrFA&s=19

Haha, what, did they really go "No you idiots we aren't making anything like the 74. Also check out this cool thing we'll never make either"??

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i'm just glad they're having fun, you don't usually get to do that anymore

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Haha, what, did they really go "No you idiots we aren't making anything like the 74. Also check out this cool thing we'll never make either"??

Hyundai are the industry's worst cockteases currently, yes.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

What’s the point of having back seats if you have that stupid suspension chair in your Taco.

I can’t wait to see a starting msrp on the base model in Canada be ridiculous.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Can’t wait to see the markup on a manual trd off road

Then again the 2 door TRD Prerunner is tempting though

Koirhor fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 19, 2023

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That truck is gently caress-ugly

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I wish they'd make a two door land cruiser variant on the Tacoma platform with the turbo 4cyl and manual transmission to give us a more reliable competitor to the Wrangler and Bronco. They can use the same design language as they got for the new Taco, Sequoia and Tundra, just shrunk to a shorter wheel base but with all the offroad credentials and Toyota reliability.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Does that new tacoma finally come with rear discs?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hyundai are the industry's worst cockteases currently, yes.

It'd be funny if it happened like 2 more times, each concept getting closer and closer to an actual production one and then they finally actually make it :v:

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Does that new tacoma finally come with rear discs?

It does!

Some of the offroad trims are a bit much, but the lower spec models and the limited look alright to me. Should be fun to drive with 465ft/lb and a 6 speed as well. EDIT drat, no manual with the top engine spec.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 19, 2023

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FBS posted:

That truck is gently caress-ugly

Fugly, if you will.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
They're going to sell every single one of those they can build for a fat markup for the next three years at least. The old Taco was outdated, uncomfortable, and ugly and this new one looks like a decent truck that's even uglier.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ugly seems to be a selling point for trucks these days

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Sab669 posted:

That’s the 1974 Pony Coupe concept, they rebuilt it because the original was apparently lost

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

What's with that bizarre overhang over the rear lights?

I mean it's better than recent BMWs but let's be honest with ourselves, the bar is on the floor.

It's just a shittier looking clownshoe.

https://twitter.com/BMW/status/1659640333548892162?t=q1zFpmVA9Cyhza1KnrJzZw&s=19

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Thomas has a quick look at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3HVTHS6Qgc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the back has jag energy and although normally i would say that's a good thing it don't quite work to me

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What's with that bizarre overhang over the rear lights?

I mean it's better than recent BMWs but let's be honest with ourselves, the bar is on the floor.

It's just a shittier looking clownshoe.

https://twitter.com/BMW/status/1659640333548892162?t=q1zFpmVA9Cyhza1KnrJzZw&s=19

God drat it. I would probably drive this.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
BMW tweets that BMW just made the car of BMW's dreams? :confused:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Throatwarbler posted:

BMW tweets that BMW just made the car of BMW's dreams? :confused:

😍😍😍😍

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I love it tbh.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

lol the grille is actually nice and BMW too ashamed to post it on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So they made this concept car thing that will never see light of day and painted it… gray???