Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

My favorite version of Ratbat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I’m glad the comics never clicked with me. I just get to enjoy cool robot toys without “the implication” as Dennis from Always Sunny would say.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/the360verse/status/1658214656068952072?t=SbolhSP7C72Nu4MwOwDWXQ&s=19

Man that mould is great with a bit of paint

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Holy moly that does look great. That mold looks like it could be really super cool, but its original colors just let it down so loving hard by being so goddamned boring.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
oh cool, the new, not already guessed toys are Deluxe Detritus, RID15 Strongarm, and Cyberverse Shadow striker, Voyager Bludgeon, and leader Prime Dreadwing

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

What, no Studio Series Core Class Frenzy (Red)? :mad:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

Deluxe Detritus

Still probably a Hound recolor like the original, but it'd be fun if they gave him a giant crossbow

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It's been two months, where the hell is my G2 Grimlock? :mad:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

All tremble before G1 Toy Accurate Brawn

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Oh lord he comin'

(those original minicars are so bad, lol. Stupid Mysterians!)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
https://twitter.com/Daim_Choc/status/1658543305276153863

This one amuses me because a) he wasn't a data clerk in that origin, he was a cop and b) if he was a data clerk WHY DOES HE HAVE A MASSIVE AXE AND A RIFLE

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Anora posted:

oh cool, the new, not already guessed toys are Deluxe Detritus, RID15 Strongarm, and Cyberverse Shadow striker, Voyager Bludgeon, and leader Prime Dreadwing

You forgot Voyager TRASHMASTER

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

This one amuses me because a) he wasn't a data clerk in that origin, he was a cop and b) if he was a data clerk WHY DOES HE HAVE A MASSIVE AXE AND A RIFLE

Ultra Magnus retool Nova Prime hiding on that box there.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

Ultra Magnus retool Nova Prime hiding on that box there.

Oh yeah, nice spot. I suppose it could be Sentinel based on what little I remember of him from the comic but Nova makes the most sense.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What's Orion based on, Hound?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I definitely didn't expect a Hound Orion Pax retool. And then that Shockwave vehicle mode is pretty bad.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah that's the Siege seeker mold for you.

E: That Brawn looks cool and all, but I really like the TR toys. With limited space, I don't really want to have more than one 'proper' version of any given character around (Core classes are fine), and TR's interaction with Titan Masters is such a cool feature. Might just stick with what I have.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 16, 2023

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Fil5000 posted:

It's the only way to get Excel to behave sometimes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Keldroc posted:

It's the only way to get Excel to behave sometimes.

Speaking as an accountant, this is the truth. :black101:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Aw now I need a combiner team of bots named VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, INDEX, and MATCH that combine to form AUTOBOT XLOOKUP.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheDK posted:

Aw now I need a combiner team of bots named VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, INDEX, and MATCH that combine to form AUTOBOT XLOOKUP.

XLOOKUP is my jam

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I preordered those two comic packs but I don’t know why?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TheDK posted:

For Combiner Wars, INDEX was inexplicably swapped out with PIVOT TABLE.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

For Combiner Wars, INDEX was inexplicably swapped out with PIVOT TABLE.

and Takara had a better repaint of it named PIVOT CHART

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Joe Fisto posted:

I preordered those two comic packs but I don’t know why?
I kind of like Houndrion Pax, but not $70 like.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The two-packs almost certainly have swapped prices on Amazon. Use Amazon to order the two-voyager pack at reduced price, then wait for them to fix the price on the Orion set.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Has there ever been a modern-looking truckformer where the wind vane became shoulder pads

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
ok so I assume there's a story behind Shockwave having a face but why is he coloured like Ultra Magnus? I respect that awful alt mode though because it's such an obvious kitbash

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TFwiki posted:

Shockwave quickly developed a reputation as an extremely expressive individual (known for changing his colour scheme regularly) that even saw him suspended from duty on occasion for "emotional outbursts unbecoming a senator".

Recognizing that Proteus and current planet leader Nominus Prime were resistant to change, Shockwave began befriending certain promising young Cybertronians and modifying them so that they could carry the Matrix of Leadership, with the hope that one of them could take leadership of their race and steer Cybertron off the dark path the Senate had placed it upon.

When police captain Orion Pax stormed into a Senate meeting with accusations of corruption amongst its ranks, Shockwave saw this potential in him. The damaged Pax was apprehended after his tirade, but Shockwave arranged for his release and repair, adding a Matrix chamber to his chest. After his release, Pax met his secret benefactor in front of the Ark-1 memorial, where Shockwave warned him that factions within the senate had arranged for a recent attack on Nominus Prime in an attempt to gain control of the Matrix's power.

The captive Shockwave was taken to the Institute and subjected to "Shadowplay", the emotion centers of his brain cut out by mnemosurgery to change his entire personality, turning him from a fiery crusader into an emotionless husk. To add insult to injury, Proteus and Sentinel had empurata performed on him, taking away his face and hands, replacing them with a featureless mask and claws solely out of spite.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tighclops posted:

ok so I assume there's a story behind Shockwave having a face but why is he coloured like Ultra Magnus? I respect that awful alt mode though because it's such an obvious kitbash

The colors thing is because Shockwave had a running gag in his senator days of constantly switching his colors(so they had to settle on one for the figure), it also ties into the face thing since in the comics him being Shockwave wasn't immediately revealed(at least from my recollection), as for the alt mode being iffy, well he never transformed in the original stories featuring him in his Senator so they extrapolated an alt mode for him from both the vehicle kibble his design had and from the mold they decided to repurpose for him

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah the “And that senator’s name? Shockwave” reveal was saved for the end after they hosed him up, iirc.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dabir posted:

Has there ever been a modern-looking truckformer where the wind vane became shoulder pads

The T30 legends scale Optimus?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Empurata was a dumb idea.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol holy poo poo that's dark, thanks

and yeah it made me preorder it I'm a sucker

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Empurata was a dumb idea.

But it is the kind of thing a fascist government would do.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

The T30 legends scale Optimus?

I was thinking of a vane that covered the entire top of the cab, but that's close alright

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, it's a great touch. Hit hard for Whirl, too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The MSJ posted:

I’m just not a fan of taking the small design divergences in Transformers that make characters like Whirl and Shockwave special and turning them into stuff done TO them and they also looked like normal dudes with faces and poo poo once

I’m sure that someone will tell me I’m actually a functionist or something like that like it’s real, but it’s something that made Transformers less unique and more homogenized as a fictional culture

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its not the worst transformers origin retcon. (Dont look up arcee)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The replacing the head thing is extreme, the "also they hosed with the brain" bit is downright cheap because it robs characters of a lot of their personal arcs if their personality is just the result of surgery. And throwing in "also they have their normal person hands replaced with crab claws, but only some of them" is just kinda silly.

In reality, it's because a few molds were licensed out from different companies with different ideas for making robots, and later Hasbro/Takara when they were doing everything in-house I guess never decided to use that sort of design to better integrate them, but still it doesn't seem that far of a jump compared to other anatomical variations like a bunch of characters not having mouths, or having visors instead of separate eyeballs, or the stuff with the Beast Wars "mutant faces". I guess Beast Machines' Vehicons were a similar principle to Empurata. Characters went on to occasionally not have normal hands up into the bay movies when he got into gunhands.

Meanwhile, there's Ravage and Laserbeak and a couple other transformers without humanoid modes, and Hasbro never made many more of those, but they were one of the few variations of robot that IDW just shrugged and said "a couple robots just are like that for no real reason".