Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

couple nights ago I was listening to my copy of hunky dory and fretting, trying to figure out of it was just my ears getting worse as i get older, my needle wearing down, a piece of fluff stuck in the stylus, that it was just loud in the rest of the apartment, or that it wasn't a very good pressing

it just sounded muffled, missing a lot of the high-end

i honestly still don't know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CaptainBeefart posted:

Harry Dean Stanton talked me into upgrading to a T.92 M2. Rip

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

hexwren posted:

couple nights ago I was listening to my copy of hunky dory and fretting, trying to figure out of it was just my ears getting worse as i get older, my needle wearing down, a piece of fluff stuck in the stylus, that it was just loud in the rest of the apartment, or that it wasn't a very good pressing

it just sounded muffled, missing a lot of the high-end

i honestly still don't know

It could be a bit of all of these things but if it's an old pressing it's quite possible that it's just worn out or mastered shittily. A lot of worn out old records will look about a VG+ but sound like dogshit because they've been played too many times.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

It could be a bit of all of these things but if it's an old pressing it's quite possible that it's just worn out or mastered shittily. A lot of worn out old records will look about a VG+ but sound like dogshit because they've been played too many times.

it's actually rather new, i think it might even be a posthumous pressing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

Is that the only record that sounds that way? Did you check cartridge alignment?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

haven't had a chance to listen to anything for a couple nights either way, I'll look into it over the weekend

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Got the new 2023 pressing of "Workin' With The Miles Davis Quintet" this morning, and it sounds great!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

That could be it too. The quality control for new records is all over the place.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
After years of diverting my "new turntable" fund to my "just buy more records" fund I broke down when I found a like new Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with a fresh Ortofon cartridge on it at really good price. I was moving on from a Technics SL-BD20 that was perfectly serviceable but man the difference is nice.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Schremp Howard posted:

After years of diverting my "new turntable" fund to my "just buy more records" fund I broke down when I found a like new Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with a fresh Ortofon cartridge on it at really good price. I was moving on from a Technics SL-BD20 that was perfectly serviceable but man the difference is nice.

I just did a cartridge upgrade myself and the fun part is now you get to go through all your favorites you thought you knew so well and hear them in an entirely new way
really that's like buying a whole new record collection when you think about it

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

My dad recently gifted me his Collaro turntable that he brought back from Vietnam in 1969 (and a monster set of speakers that are just about as old) and I cannot believe how good Dinosaur Jr. vinyl sounds on it

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Because of that Sonic Boom hint in the thread, I headed into Toronto for some shopping. I planned on hitting about 4 stores, but I spent so long in Hidden City Record Shop that I tapped out after just two.

Picked up Pacific Breeze 2, completing the set - thank you WaitsUp

BAD is a nostalgia fueled pickup & finished the set of Iron Maiden 80's albums (2014 Parlophone Reissues). Still unsure I wanna cross the boundary in 90s and start another OCD pathway.

....which I immediately did after coming across a copy of The Moon And The Melodies. Which twisted my arm for an instant Cocteau Twins collection...

I've gotta loving stop - no more in May, OK? Side note, going through some mental health stuff and music is doing some real heavy lifting these last few months. I just assume everyone loves music, but I've gone to a while new level recently. Thanks for being in this thread y'all!

midge fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 14, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
We love records, we do

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
There sure are a lot of them!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Arcella posted:

There sure are a lot of them!

Gather up as many as you can to briefly stave off the despair you feel for the coming horrors!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Just one more object and i'll Be Fulfilled, and also immortal

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I keep throwing objects into the giant void in my soul and apparently there's just no bottom.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

CPL593H posted:

I keep throwing objects into the giant void in my soul and apparently there's just no bottom.

It’d be a lot worse if we didn’t! Really, for sure!!!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

YOU GOTTA KNOW WHEN TO HOLD EM

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

haljordan posted:

Coward of the County is a pretty great song

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Coward of the County is a pretty great song

Also "Lady"

I have a shitload of Neil Diamond records too lol

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 14, 2023

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

haljordan posted:

WHEN TO HOLD EM...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

midge posted:

Because of that Sonic Boom hint in the thread, I headed into Toronto for some shopping. I planned on hitting about 4 stores, but I spent so long in Hidden City Record Shop that I tapped out after just two.

Picked up Pacific Breeze 2, completing the set - thank you WaitsUp

BAD is a nostalgia fueled pickup & finished the set of Iron Maiden 80's albums (2014 Parlophone Reissues). Still unsure I wanna cross the boundary in 90s and start another OCD pathway.

....which I immediately did after coming across a copy of The Moon And The Melodies. Which twisted my arm for an instant Cocteau Twins collection...

I've gotta loving stop - no more in May, OK? Side note, going through some mental health stuff and music is doing some real heavy lifting these last few months. I just assume everyone loves music, but I've gone to a while new level recently. Thanks for being in this thread y'all!

I also did a huge Cocteau reprint buy because who the gently caress knows when those will become scarce
I fear sooner than later

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

midge posted:

I have a first pressing of THRILLER and Eddie's guitar solo sounds so loving glorious.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

haljordan posted:

Have people been raiding my parents' collection? That "He Touched Me" album from a few days ago is also in there.

If I start seeing an excessive amount of John Denver, I'm going to have to go check and make sure everything is still there.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So Blood Ceremony released a new album for the first time in seven years, and I jumped on it and bought the limited-to-100 clear 'die hard' edition. It was pretty reasonably priced. I saw one listed for sale on Discogs for $300... and it sold immediately. How many of these are people that have multiple accounts and sell stuff to themselves to boost value?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Found the ODB RDS release at a McNally Robinson and picked it up. Was it really $59.99 CAD at release?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

haljordan posted:

Man I'm so glad I just have The Gambler album instead (Tennessee Bottle's too much of a banger).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CornHolio posted:

So Blood Ceremony released a new album for the first time in seven years, and I jumped on it and bought the limited-to-100 clear 'die hard' edition. It was pretty reasonably priced. I saw one listed for sale on Discogs for $300... and it sold immediately. How many of these are people that have multiple accounts and sell stuff to themselves to boost value?

Never underestimate the stupidity of rich kids.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Have people been raiding my parents' collection? That "He Touched Me" album from a few days ago is also in there.

If I start seeing an excessive amount of John Denver, I'm going to have to go check and make sure everything is still there.

I also got a bunch of Elton John, the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack and some Jim Croce

Oh and Neil Diamond

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
man the LCD Soundsystem "final" show boxset sounds so good and is v v v pretty, but gently caress as the owner of a single turntable I hate that it's A/C B/D E/H F/I G/J or coupled or whatever they call it, but given that I've somehow lost my blu-ray copy of the concert I'm just happy to have a version again

I also took big swings on Four Tet's and Yves Tumor's discographies after watching Coachella livestreams, so I got Four Tet's Rounds reissue and Sixteen Oceans and Yves Tumor's The Asymptomatical World and Safe in the Hands of Love. All absolute winners.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

man the LCD Soundsystem "final" show boxset sounds so good and is v v v pretty, but gently caress as the owner of a single turntable I hate that it's A/C B/D E/H F/I G/J or coupled or whatever they call it, but given that I've somehow lost my blu-ray copy of the concert I'm just happy to have a version again

I also took big swings on Four Tet's and Yves Tumor's discographies after watching Coachella livestreams, so I got Four Tet's Rounds reissue and Sixteen Oceans and Yves Tumor's The Asymptomatical World and Safe in the Hands of Love. All absolute winners.

i did an effortpost on that box set at some point in this thread, if memory serves, and i was never able to figure out why it was set up in the format that it was

it wasn't a simple inside-out record-changer flip the stack side ordering

it didn't make sense on two turntables

does it make sense on three turntables? i have no idea

i really want it explained to me

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I think discs 3-5 being split up differently than 1 and 2 makes it kind of hard to parse, but that is for two tables.

If you split sides E-H the same way you split A-D then that would leave I and J on one record so you couldn't play all the sides without gaps.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I looked at it and swore I must have written it down wrong but then I went and had a look at Discogs and the copy and yeah you can't even run that seamlessly with minimal switching on two decks wtf

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It's done that way so you can run it on two decks without interruption. So the first two disks make perfect sense. But because it's 5 disks, you need to do something funky on disk 3-5 in order to get that playback possible.

The goal was never to minimize the number of disks you change.

I'm not saying it's not annoying, I'm saying it makes sense.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

:bisonyes: got the email about the Oingo Boingo represses of Only a Lad being back in stock so I snapped up a copy of the blue metallic version. :bisonyes:

Link for those interested https://www.rubellanremasters.com/online-store

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

My Sigur Rós vinyl arrived today and even though I couldn't correctly pronounce "Viðrar vel til loftárása" if you put a gun to my head, it still sounds awesome as hell.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Ordered a copy of The Format's Interventions & Lullabies 20th anniversary from VMP.

Also is anyone familiar with Newbury Comics? I was looking and they have some great color variants for a lot of albums I want, but I don't know them. I guess they're a chain store in the New England area? They have Blue Sky Noise by Circa Survive I might go for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RubberLuffy posted:

Ordered a copy of The Format's Interventions & Lullabies 20th anniversary from VMP.

Also is anyone familiar with Newbury Comics? I was looking and they have some great color variants for a lot of albums I want, but I don't know them. I guess they're a chain store in the New England area? They have Blue Sky Noise by Circa Survive I might go for.

They’re kinda like a Rough Trade. I’ve never heard anything bad about their exclusives or anything.