Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Live a Live (2022): It's not often that a video game references Blood Meridian of all things, but this JRPG remake is one of them. The villain of this chapter is said to never sleep and never die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skHmXViR2Ps&t=3601s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

There's trees that will attack you in Tears of the a kingdom. Best poo poo is they're called Evermean

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

bawk posted:

I saw a clip yesterday of a shrine where the goal is to hit a ball into a hole using a small spinning mechanism with 2 levers, like a pinball paddle but with two paddles. They missed a few times, removed one of the two paddles from the side of the mechanism it was on and attached it to the other paddle, making one long paddle instead. They activated the mechanism, completely loving whiffed on hitting the ball, and the adhesive holding the paddles to the spinning mechanism came apart, launching the paddles at the hole. The hole turned green and gave the "you solved the puzzle!" noise. :allears:

nearly as great a burn as the giantbomb EASY MODE UNLOCKED imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's... not really a burn? That's a reveal that the puzzle was to get anything into the hole, not the ball specifically, and they solved it by thinking outside the box

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nm

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TontoCorazon posted:

There's trees that will attack you in Tears of the a kingdom. Best poo poo is they're called Evermean

They're great, except for one thing: They're deciduous :negative:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Phy posted:

Interrupting zeldachat to say that one of the Extreme G bike-racing games on the N64 had all but ambient cockpit sound cut out when you break Mach 1

Id say Ace Combat should do that poo poo too but a. You'd miss so much of the music, and b. It'd be weird in an A-10

The Extreme G games were great and should make a comeback

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

They're deciduous :negative:

Whoa, I didn't even know you could eat them

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

You can eat anything once

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Non Compos Mentis posted:

The Extreme G games were great and should make a comeback

:hmmyes:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

the puzzle was to get anything into the hole

:same:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phy posted:

Interrupting zeldachat to say that one of the Extreme G bike-racing games on the N64 had all but ambient cockpit sound cut out when you break Mach 1

Id say Ace Combat should do that poo poo too but a. You'd miss so much of the music, and b. It'd be weird in an A-10

All the Extreme G games do that. Firing boosters + Rear-firing flamethrowers on a decent bike will get you consistently to Mach 1 iirc.

And generally break the game over your knee cause you're massively faster than anything else on the track at that point, but that's really a bonus. :rice:

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Just found a funny shrine in TotK that requires you to solve a pretty long labyrinth ending with you getting access to a pre-made hang-glider and runway to take off from. Unfortunately using the hang-glider will cause you to yeet straight into a laser-activated pit trap, so to solve the puzzle you need to ignore the glider and just drop down to where you need to go.

It's confusing at first because the game doesn't usually hand you stuff in shrines as a fake-out, unless you were paying attention to the title of the shrine when you entered: Courage to Fall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bawk posted:

In BOTW you had some weapons that could be equipped in place of using potions or food to grant heat/cold bonuses, like equipping a fireball wand would count as 1/3 of the levels of Cold Resistance, which makes sense! With a pair of cold resist pants and a fireball wand you could be fine exploring most snowy areas, even tall peaks.

Funny thing is technically it's not the same as heat/cold resistance- equipping a fire or ice weapon actually changes the local temperature around Link, as you can tell from the temperature gauge that indicates both how hot or cold it is around Link and how much resistance he has either way.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of the best things game devs can do to make their games fun is let the player think they're getting away with something.

Mighta been said but apparently the design philosophy when playtesting BotW was basically only to fix any obvious technical bugs, while nearly all other unintended behaviour they basically went 'keep it in'. They did something similar with Mario Odyssey; putting coin piles in places that players clearly aren't intended to go, as a cheeky reward for ones who managed to get there anyway.

I find it interesting that they went all out sandbox with Zelda in particular, a series which is kinda infamously formulaic and tends to be very linear. They did move away from that a bit before with Wind Waker and Link Between Worlds having much more open-ended design, but BotW is a really radical change.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Super Mario World also has all the level music be a different mix of the same theme.

From last page, but I can't remember off the top of my head, but did switching things to Halloween mode change up the music?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Leave posted:

From last page, but I can't remember off the top of my head, but did switching things to Halloween mode change up the music?

I don't think so.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I find it interesting that they went all out sandbox with Zelda in particular, a series which is kinda infamously formulaic and tends to be very linear. They did move away from that a bit before with Wind Waker and Link Between Worlds having much more open-ended design, but BotW is a really radical change.

ALBW was borrowing its non-linearity from LttP, but even the original Zelda was actually really non-linear. There was an intended dungeon order, but aside from some that required particular items for traversal (specifically the ladder, the flute, and any way to make fire) you were set loose to go wherever you wanted and figure it out yourself.

The main thing BotW did (and the main reason I didn't like it and haven't bought TotK) is to either throw away or half-rear end the base structure of 'dungeons and toolkit progression'. Before BotW, while the games changed up how they approached it, they all had the general structure of 'you go to all the dungeons to pick up the macguffins that'll give you access to the final boss, and in each dungeon is an item that increases your ability to interact with the world'. BotW instead just gave you all the tools right at the start and made the dungeons small, let's be honest basically identical challenges that make the central objective easier to achieve.

And personally, it took BotW throwing out that base structure to make me realize that said base structure is the main reason I like Zelda. Zelda without 'here's a dungeon that has the hookshot in it' doesn't feel like Zelda at all to me, no matter how much you fill it with the iconography.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic posted:

ALBW was borrowing its non-linearity from LttP, but even the original Zelda was actually really non-linear. There was an intended dungeon order, but aside from some that required particular items for traversal (specifically the ladder, the flute, and any way to make fire) you were set loose to go wherever you wanted and figure it out yourself.

The main thing BotW did (and the main reason I didn't like it and haven't bought TotK) is to either throw away or half-rear end the base structure of 'dungeons and toolkit progression'. Before BotW, while the games changed up how they approached it, they all had the general structure of 'you go to all the dungeons to pick up the macguffins that'll give you access to the final boss, and in each dungeon is an item that increases your ability to interact with the world'. BotW instead just gave you all the tools right at the start and made the dungeons small, let's be honest basically identical challenges that make the central objective easier to achieve.

And personally, it took BotW throwing out that base structure to make me realize that said base structure is the main reason I like Zelda. Zelda without 'here's a dungeon that has the hookshot in it' doesn't feel like Zelda at all to me, no matter how much you fill it with the iconography.

Fair enough, I forget about the original Zelda since I didn't get to play that one. Also fair that it's not a change that suits everyone; the classic Zelda formula is quite solid on its own merits, and similar to its genre stablemate Metroid provides a gameplay experience based on dungeons and obstacles that become more complex and require use of more tools as you acquire them. BotW is more of a spinoff in many ways, and could very well have been an original IP, but arguably it wouldn't have gotten half the prominence it has if it wasn't using a familiar name and setting. Of course, not like Nintendo's ever had a problem with that, they've said from the start that Mario's meant to be a company mascot who can be put in all kinds of different games.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Yeah as much as I enjoyed BotW and like playing (so far) TotK, they really feel like Zelda themed open world games, like Hyrule warriors is a Zelda themed dynasty warriors

Hoping we get something a little more traditional for the next one, but the community as a whole seems to love this new format way more so who knows :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Yeah as much as I enjoyed BotW and like playing (so far) TotK, they really feel like Zelda themed open world games, like Hyrule warriors is a Zelda themed dynasty warriors

Hoping we get something a little more traditional for the next one, but the community as a whole seems to love this new format way more so who knows :shrug:

Given the high-profile remakes of Link's Awakening and Skyward Sword I don't think they'd necessarily abandon the old formula that's still plenty serviceable. Nintendo's used their big franchises to branch out genre-wise a lot but always returns to the original formulas eventually.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given the high-profile remakes of Link's Awakening and Skyward Sword I don't think they'd necessarily abandon the old formula that's still plenty serviceable. Nintendo's used their big franchises to branch out genre-wise a lot but always returns to the original formulas eventually.

For sure yeah, I'm just thinking of when BotW came out and a bunch of people were like "I hated zelda games until this one, greatest game ever."

At the very least, I'm down for a compromise where we get gadgets from actual dungeons, but have a big open world to explore as well. Sorta like an OoT style but on a way bigger scale

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Really I’m just hoping they embrace the idea of out of the box solutions. Like, have the “usual” plot progression but optional ways to sequence break and do dungeon 6 early so you can get Roc’s Cape asap or whatever.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Really I’m just hoping they embrace the idea of out of the box solutions. Like, have the “usual” plot progression but optional ways to sequence break and do dungeon 6 early so you can get Roc’s Cape asap or whatever.

That'd be a cool use of the ability to build gadgets and stuff imo

Like you can use the hookshot to get across this gap, but if you make clever use of assembling machines you can launch something across that you can ride, etc. Plus then you can combine the gadgets you get with the things you can build which let you get even more creative potentially

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, perhaps the most annoying thing that strikes me about BotW and (from what I've seen) TotK is that there's no reason they couldn't do the same thing but with dungeons and dungeon items. No part of the BotW formula requires their removal save debatably the 'you could just go beat Ganon right away' part, and that's hardly an insurmountable thing.

Hell, it might actually solve some of the problems. One of the prominent complaints I've heard about TotK is a too-long tutorial, and I can tell you right now, what'd solve that is distributing the core tools over time rather than piling them all on us at once.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Probably been mentioned already but TOTK: weld a minecart and a shield together and you get a skateboard with shield-surfing mechanics. You can grind cart rails too.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

Probably been mentioned already but TOTK: weld a minecart and a shield together and you get a skateboard with shield-surfing mechanics. You can grind cart rails too.

This song goes through my head everytime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WcyVvWZJU4

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It's Escape from the City.

Hahaha got it right.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WaltherFeng posted:

It's Escape from the City.

Hahaha got it right.

A few tunes live in my head while playing video games: if it's skateboarding, it's Escape from the City. If it's sailing, it's the sailing music from Windwaker. But if it's an engine-powered boat, it's the boating music from Earthbound for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTlwWKTCId8

The amount of times I was humming this while playing Dredge was ridiculous.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Zelda series had a serious stagnation issue, which had been growing for awhile and culminated with the Wii games. Not that those games were necessarily [i]bad/i], but you knew exactly what was going to happen at pretty much every step of the way. The series was originally about the feeling of exploration and wonder: they're adventure games, not guided tours. So it's not really surprising to me that the devs would say "hang on, we have a problem here", and explicitly move away from the established formula. Honestly I'd say that their willingness to do that reflects well on them.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Zelda series had a serious stagnation issue, which had been growing for awhile and culminated with the Wii games. Not that those games were necessarily bad/i], but you knew exactly what was going to happen at pretty much every step of the way. The series was originally about the feeling of exploration and wonder: they're adventure games, not guided tours. So it's not really surprising to me that the devs would say "hang on, we have a problem here", and explicitly move away from the established formula. Honestly I'd say that their willingness to do that reflects well on them.

I have kind of depended on Zelda to stick to this conservative formula though. When I play a Zelda game, I feel like I know what to expect. Now there's dick rockets and dick boats and dick bats and I'm like, [i]check please!

e: your broken formatting broke my formatting :mad:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There are already ten thousand traditional zelda games and it was a good thing when BOTW tried something new instead of being the ten thousand and first game of the same formula.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I really enjoy how TOTK expanded on BOTW's open world design because it does have some pretty cleverly designed mechanics that you can use to explore the world early, but you're still gated if you don't seek out the ways to break the game. Endura items seem rarer and harder to get, so you have to go out of your way to cook regular stamina refills instead of slamming stamina-limit raising meals and potions. You can skydive farther with certain items, but you have to still find them and equip them to skydive farther laterally. It toes the line nicely. My dad and I are playing at the same time and we are in completely different places because he prefers to stay gated/on-task while I like looking someplace and saying "I bet I can gently caress with the toolset and get there when I'm not supposed to yet", but he's unlocking some intended equipment that I haven't found yet because he's following the signposts.

The time powerup seems like such a specific use case, but it's actually way more open-ended than first glance. Instead of building bridges, I've started just picking up platforms and putting them over where the bridge needs to end up, pulling the platform back, and time reversing over gaps/time reversing the platform back in the air then ascending to it. Hell, even the rocks falling from the sky can be time reversed for a height boost. The verticality is so well designed this time around instead of climbing everything

E: exploration also feels a lot more rewarding this time around because everything matters. I always want more bombs, puffshrooms, and the confusion flowers because they're so useful. Arrows are always at a premium, even when I have over a hundred, because of how useful fusing things to arrows can be. Some enemies are still a hard road block depending on where they are and what else is different about them besides just what color they are. I've fought 2 lynels so far, both blue, but the second one was considerably harder due to some modifiers enemies can have in TOTK. But it also dropped much cooler stuff exclusive to that area, and it will hugely boost some stuff I can do.

BOTW feels outright easy in comparison

bawk has a new favorite as of 16:53 on May 16, 2023

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

bawk posted:

I really enjoy how TOTK expanded on BOTW's open world design because it does have some pretty cleverly designed mechanics that you can use to explore the world early, but you're still gated if you don't seek out the ways to break the game. Endura items seem rarer and harder to get, so you have to go out of your way to cook regular stamina refills instead of slamming stamina-limit raising meals and potions. You can skydive farther with certain items, but you have to still find them and equip them to skydive farther laterally. It toes the line nicely. My dad and I are playing at the same time and we are in completely different places because he prefers to stay gated/on-task while I like looking someplace and saying "I bet I can gently caress with the toolset and get there when I'm not supposed to yet", but he's unlocking some intended equipment that I haven't found yet because he's following the signposts.

The time powerup seems like such a specific use case, but it's actually way more open-ended than first glance. Instead of building bridges, I've started just picking up platforms and putting them over where the bridge needs to end up, pulling the platform back, and time reversing over gaps/time reversing the platform back in the air then ascending to it. Hell, even the rocks falling from the sky can be time reversed for a height boost. The verticality is so well designed this time around instead of climbing everything

E: exploration also feels a lot more rewarding this time around because everything matters. I always want more bombs, puffshrooms, and the confusion flowers because they're so useful. Arrows are always at a premium, even when I have over a hundred, because of how useful fusing things to arrows can be. Some enemies are still a hard road block depending on where they are and what else is different about them besides just what color they are. I've fought 2 lynels so far, both blue, but the second one was considerably harder due to some modifiers enemies can have in TOTK. But it also dropped much cooler stuff exclusive to that area, and it will hugely boost some stuff I can do.

BOTW feels outright easy in comparison

Every time I ride a rock up so I can glide somewhere, I curse Revali and his stupid gale. Suck on that you smarmy-rear end bird.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Owl Inspector posted:

There are already ten thousand traditional zelda games and it was a good thing when BOTW tried something new instead of being the ten thousand and first game of the same formula.

And a bunch of Zelda imitators as well.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

bawk posted:

I've fought 2 lynels so far, both blue, but the second one was considerably harder due to some modifiers enemies can have in TOTK. But it also dropped much cooler stuff exclusive to that area, and it will hugely boost some stuff I can do.

Any enemy with a goddamn flamethrower because the default camera angles suck so I can't judge if the flames are too close or not.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bawk posted:

"I bet I can gently caress with the toolset and get there when I'm not supposed to yet", but he's unlocking some intended equipment that I haven't found yet because he's following the signposts.

They give you almost the entire toolkit before letting you into the world with the only thing missing being the glider. There's not really anywhere to go that isn't intended with the tools they teach you before leaving tutorial hell

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is a suit of armor in TotK that completely negates fall damage and I love it. Fall damage isn't a *huge* risk in thr first place but just being able to hop off an island in the sky and slam Link into the ground face first at Mach 10 with no damage is the best way to travel.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Lobok posted:

And a bunch of Zelda imitators as well.

Now, there's even a BOTW imitator! Immortals Fenyx Rising is fine basically.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Len posted:

They give you almost the entire toolkit before letting you into the world with the only thing missing being the glider. There's not really anywhere to go that isn't intended with the tools they teach you before leaving tutorial hell

If we're talking armor, I found Midna's helmet last night and it rules, it even has the red hand hair thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Len posted:

Right, but there are items that get signposted/marked on the map by following the breadcrumbs the game lays out for you when visiting stables, talking to NPCs, etc. which make some parts of exploration easier. Climbing gear, rubber armor, glow armor, stuff that gives quality of life boosts or can make a large enough difference if you don't gently caress around with the powers as much.