Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Command is actually also Diana. She gets 'em coming and going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If I was getting a paranoid call every time somebody heard a rat sneeze I’d stop answering my phone as well

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

...and that's my second hardcore campaign completed. Once again with no quitsies and a filled weapon wall.

I'd love to say it only took me a single attempt post-patch, but even playing this game way too much does not protect you against the whims/RNG that prestige objectives offer. My first attempt stranded in a New York showdown where I think the best choice was Perfect Run which translated to No Non-Target Kills, Silenced Pistol Kill and Only Use A Single Disguise. I think that could have been alright if I had started in the waiting area or garage and could easily take the Job Applicant disguise, but it was not meant to be (and I completely forgot that the guard in front of the waiting area wants a frisk, he doesn't stop you completely). The second attempt had Miami with Silent Assassin: Suit Only as the best choice and I ended up walking away from that one after I had no choice to kill a suspicious guard.

The above third attempt had showdowns where I ended up picking Hide & Seek, Neutralize Lookout, Sniper Kill and Melee Kill respectively. Certainly a bit easier! It's also nice that the final showdown on Dartmoor had the leader be the third suspect I laid my eyes on. I wasn't going to be sure he was the leader until the second tell would show, but I saw an opportunity to kill and quickly dump the body in a small pond and I took that risk. It was a pleasant surprise when he was in fact the leader. I think my first hardcore campaign had a very careful, hour long final showdown. It wasn't necessary to systemically take down the suspects this time like that, phew.

I kept track of the locations and objectives since I feel that little bit of downtime kept me more levelheaded going into missions. I nearly forgot to bring a baseball bat with me once tho, that could have cost me the run (it was on Paris). I don't mention required weapon rarity but they apply obviously:
Chongqing - Melee Kill
Whittleton Creek - Shotgun Kill
Miami - Timed: Hide and Seek
Sgail - Pacify w/ Baseball Bat
Mendoza - Sniper Kill
Whittleton Creek - Headshot w/ Legendary (Or is that just a Legendary Kill? My note on this one is terrible.)
Dartmoor - Neutralize Lookout
Berlin - Melee Kill
Santa Fortuna - Shotgun Kill
Whittleton Creek - Assault Rifle Kill
New York - Timed: Hide and Seek
Sapienza - Sniper Kill
Hokkaido - Pacify w/ Baseball Bat
Santa Fortuna - Pacify w/ Baseball Bat
Bangkok - Timed: Hide and Seek
Paris - You probably guessed it! Pacify w/ Baseball Bat again!
Miami - Open Safe: Explosive (If this prestige objective had not popped up I would have chosen Miami as the showdown map.)
Dartmoor - Melee Kill

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 15, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

Don't take the silenced pistol and you'll either succeed despite it or you'll start the next campaign with a silenced pistol that makes it easier to get to the first showdown, then you dump it back on the wall and grab another from an assassin and now you have a backup silenced pistol.

I basically didn't take any weapons from my wall into missions until I had like a third of it filled up with multiple back-ups for each weapon type. I just ground out a lot of missions with neck snaps and scalpel throws until I felt comfortable with the stock of guns I'd built up.

One thing that's important I think to is making sure you buy weapons when you have the money to do it. That was pretty much my primary mission for a good while, build up 10-12k to buy a gun, take it home, put it on the wall and forget about it. Eventually when you fill out all of the common level guns on the wall you start getting 10k in the reward box at the end of the first syndicate instead of a weapon, which makes it easier to buy more weapons. Repeat until the weapon wall is complete and then you never have to worry about not having something again.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Basebf555 posted:

One thing that's important I think to is making sure you buy weapons when you have the money to do it. That was pretty much my primary mission for a good while, build up 10-12k to buy a gun, take it home, put it on the wall and forget about it. Eventually when you fill out all of the common level guns on the wall you start getting 10k in the reward box at the end of the first syndicate instead of a weapon, which makes it easier to buy more weapons. Repeat until the weapon wall is complete and then you never have to worry about not having something again.

I would say you shouldn't be afraid to use the guns you buy. Mercers are hard to come by early in the game, and losing a gun you just spent 18k on hurts, but on the other hand that gun can make its cost back pretty quickly if you're smart and lucky.

One of the biggest lessons I've had to learn so far is that it often pays to go loud or at least lethal, if you move quickly and have an escape route ready. In the story mode I wouldn't use a gun unless it was on a target and I could hide the body immediately. There's no real penalty to killing non-targets in Freelancer, so it's worth it to take out guards or assassins to get their weapons, even if a body will be found. As long as nobody sees you committing the murder, it won't even compromise your disguise, so go nuts

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I noticed this open book on Alexa Carlisle's table today (near the fireplace in her office). Does anyone know if it's a reused asset from Sgail? It seems to be the detailing the basis for the iconography shared by the Ark Society and GAMA.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Oh wow, they added an extra exit to Bangkok to make it marginally less lovely.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

khwarezm posted:

Oh wow, they added an extra exit to Bangkok to make it marginally less lovely.

Note that it gives showdown suspects another exit to flee the map.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I maintain Whittleton Creek is terrible for showdowns. It’s so small you have no time if someone IDs you 20 seconds after the mission starts and they all start running away.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Gotta say, it's actually pretty run prestiging after mumble mumble hours in freelancer, now that I SOMEWHAT know how to work with an unsilenced pistol, a rusty crowbar, and miscellaneous safe house renewables (god bless free lethal poison, all hail King Banana). I mean, most levels so far have been a shitshow, but a shitshow where you kill the targets and escape is my absolute favorite hitman experience.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mierenneuker posted:

Note that it gives showdown suspects another exit to flee the map.

otherwise showdowns in Bangkok would be both trivial and hilarious

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm trying to get the "kill Syndicate leaders with natural or crafted poisons" challenge done so arranged things for a showdown in Dartmoor. I did my usual start of slipping up to the balcony outside of Zachary's bedroom to KO the bodyguard and get his outfit, then I'd have mostly free range to pick up the ingredients and craft the poison I needed once I'd identified the leader. So I start to drag the body into the room to dump it into the wardrobe.... and a suspect just marches straight into the room (perhaps to look at the corpse?) and panics, so I pull out my gun and shoot them to avoid catastrophe.

"Excellent job, 47, you have killed the Leader. Go back to the Safehouse."

All that set-up! :lol:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Discendo Vox posted:

I noticed this open book on Alexa Carlisle's table today (near the fireplace in her office). Does anyone know if it's a reused asset from Sgail? It seems to be the detailing the basis for the iconography shared by the Ark Society and GAMA.

Vox, stop looking for secrets.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
How is the XP increase with Prestige? I'm in the high 80s now, and it's so slow to get these last few levels. But if it's shamefully small like the sniper multipliers, I can't imagine it's worth the effort.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm currently up to 94 just playing regularly, no prestige, have only done the one hardcore campaign so far, and my God is it slow going XP wise. I did finally get the last of 47's gym unboxed though!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It took me an hour+ of scouring Sapienza to find that drat first target in this elusive

I didn't even know that part of the map existed lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sapienza's great. In general, even the most expansive of the Hitman 3 maps makes me itch for the layers and options and dense spatial design of Hitman 1.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man, has the little poison making kit been taken out of Dartmoor altogether? I went there to craft some poison and the table was cleared out :negative:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I guess it’s like the cabinet by the staff area in Hokkaido (sometimes it’s there, sometimes it’s not??) and the cabinet outside security in New York, which is now inside security. They’re just moving things around to make it more annoying?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Haven is the best showdown map for natural poisons - trivial waiter costume with loads of access, not one but two frogs in case you accidentally poison the wrong suspect

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I generally assume 47 just drops a live frog in the glass and it keeps bobbing there until the target takes a sip

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Just had a campaign fail because I had to alt tab out and kill the task because a target walked off the map in Dartmoor.
Restarting the game I got put on the pier with Diana saying "oh bad luck" etc

Doing the exact same thing worked like a charm the day before yesterday and just put me back in the safehouse before I started the mission.

If they can't even be consistent about how we can work around their bugs, I think it's time for me to take some time off Hitmanning

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Hit into a weird one yesterday.

New York, I had eliminated the targets (including extra for a fibrewire kill), robbed the vault, robbed the courier, and only changed disguise once so heading for a really good reward. Prestige was to blow up the safe, which was in the office, so I snuck in, put C4 on it and detonated in the small room beside and hid in the closet until the fuss had died down.

Decided to pull the fire alarm to get everyone out of the directors office so I could actually empty the safe, and when I did the game crashed.

Took me back to the safehouse, before attempting the mission, but half of my merces had gone.

Considering the amount of times I've force-quit to avoid a failure I can't be mad, but it's an odd one.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Not to pile on the bug parade, but I just failed a Dubai showdown due to 'Arrange a Meeting' bugging out :(

Cleared a nice little killzone near the server room, iced the Suspect who hung out there and used his phone...nothing. Ganked the Leader, used their phone. Nope. Started whacking some vulnerable Suspects, used THEIR phones too...nada. Even triggered one on a spot where I'd seen a meeting happen, just in case that counted.

It completely sucks, it was my third showdown of the campaign and everything was going really well! I'd even done 'Arrange a Meeting' in the previous showdown where it worked flawlessly!

e: this was Hardcore mode, just to be super clear why the Prestige Objective mattered so much

Ripper Swarm fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 16, 2023

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

The_Doctor posted:

I do wish the radio did escalate if you take out more guards. “Hello? Command? Anyone?”

Metal Gear Solid games do this, kill a guard after he's called Command and a few moments later Command sends people over to investigate the lack of a response.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Has anyone checked if the PlayStation ‘close application’ still works as a fudge?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Has anyone checked if the PlayStation ‘close application’ still works as a fudge?

It does

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fantastic, thanks! Could have used that last night instead of dying.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Wait, it does!? Seems weird that you can do it on PS4/PS5 but not PC. I try not to do it anyway but I think it's a valid way of tackling bugs if it's available.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Wait, it does!? Seems weird that you can do it on PS4/PS5 but not PC. I try not to do it anyway but I think it's a valid way of tackling bugs if it's available.

It's still working on PC, all you need to do is hold ALT and tap F4 twice in quick succession. They only check for Alt-F4 to trigger a save, the second Alt-F4 terminates the save.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Please note, this also permanently enables Nude Mode

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Can't do it fast enough

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I generally assume 47 just drops a live frog in the glass and it keeps bobbing there until the target takes a sip

Well they are the world's richest assholes, they probably see a frog bobbing in a glass and assume it's just some new version of eating an Ortolan bunting

Diana: I see you've fully embraced the Scandinavian lifestyle, 47.....

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Sensenmann posted:

It's still working on PC, all you need to do is hold ALT and tap F4 twice in quick succession. They only check for Alt-F4 to trigger a save, the second Alt-F4 terminates the save.

You can also open the Task Manager and close it from there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish I didn't see that.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

47: quickly puts on a merkin then walks back out of the room

GUARD: He just disappeared!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Slam dunk a frog in the ventilation unit

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

Slam dunk a frog in the ventilation unit

was gonna ask which map you can do that but lol you can absolutely do a biblical frog strike in whittledon creek

next time I'm there it's how I'm gonna take out the showdown target, just for style points

wonder if it counts for the achievement

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

Anyway instead of starting another Hardcore freelancer run just yet (still on the fence whether I should even bother), I decided to Master SASO the Hitman 3 maps.

They're...quite easy. Dartmoor and Chonqqing are gimmes, Berlin has a lot of targets but they're easy to get to and only Yates can be an issue on Mendoza. The train was...the train. Fuses and flashbangs got me past the tricky bits.
Dubai actually gave me the most trouble, I'd forgotten how to manipulate Ingram around. Still, for a guy worth 2 trillion dollars he was very eager to go get that coin in the Aircon And Neck Snapping Zone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ripper Swarm posted:

Still, for a guy worth 2 trillion dollars he was very eager to go get that coin in the Aircon And Neck Snapping Zone!

You don't make a couple of trillion without grabbing every bit of cash you can see!