Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

I had a property transfer survey done, not a real deal boundary survey. I was actually able to find all but one of the monuments myself just going based on whatever information seemed to make sense and guessing who used to own what from an old map/plat of the township when it was owned by not much more than a couple dozen people in total that I randomly found and framed to put in my hallway because it looked cool. Who knew that would come in useful?

I definitely know which properties they're referring to in the above, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any monuments on the property. Although, our fence is probably mine, so maybe they're on the other side of the fences? I'll have to take a peak when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Danhenge posted:

Here's how the boundary lines for my property are described:

This is from a deed from the late 20s where some property was subdivided from a larger plot for building this house. The original, handwritten deed has actually been digitized and I can only barely read it.

Mine (Gloucester County, New Jersey, across the Delaware from Philadelphia) is a narrative just like this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's typical. If allowed, a surveyor may (and would) put in fixed monuments.

Fun happens when borders with rivers/creeks/lakes/roads move.

Basically, it's not unusual to cost a lot of money if there is a lot of work. It might be more work than you think for reasons you don't realize. The old advice of a few quotes here is probably a good one.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you want to go down a rabbit hole look up metes and bounds survey versus more modern methods.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Hed posted:

If you want to go down a rabbit hole look up metes and bounds survey versus more modern methods.

Bounds is a measurement of how far a surveyor can leap from one foot to another

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hed posted:

The item listed above is done in metes and bounds, isn't it? Is been a whole since I was in surveying class and we obviously just covered it in a general sense before moving on to the calculation portion of the curriculum. It describes in prose using natural landmarks or other property.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I replaced a ceiling fan because the light sockets were the tiny chandelier-bulb type instead of standard ones. I could have just replaced the sockets but I hosed up the wiring trying to figure out how to do it, so replacing the whole fan it was :buddy:

New fan is nice.

Next up, replacing the garage door opener with a belt-drive model.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Made some good headway in the Mini Split Install this past weekend, boy am I ready to be done and not have to crawl around in the attic any more.

Cut an opening into the attic space to run the lines.

I was really worried that they wouldn't all fit.

Took some doing, but got all 3 sets of lines in albeit very snug.

Used some nylok on the threads to make sure there are no leaks.

Got the wiring all clamped in and screwed down to terminals, I labeled both ends of the cooling lines and electrical so I'd know which goes where.

Cover's on and everything's hooked up on the outdoor unit.

Looking good, still want to paint the cover to match the exterior and be less conspicuous, but that's tomorrow's problem.

I was able to get one set of lines into the interior wall, but ran out of steam after all that. Hoping I can take a day off work and finish it up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That looks really good. Are those the pre-filled linesets and if so, are they just the right length or how are you dealing with the extra slack? Was it difficult to get it into the attic hole without kinking the line? I am thinking about a DIY install for one of these on my second floor later the year and am a little worried about how I'll run the lineset in my attic and out the side of the house.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

The item listed above is done in metes and bounds, isn't it? Is been a whole since I was in surveying class and we obviously just covered it in a general sense before moving on to the calculation portion of the curriculum. It describes in prose using natural landmarks or other property.

Yes, sorry I was phone posting. What everyone described was a metes and bounds survey. They're kind of cool, and it's all over old deeds in the eastern US.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Hed posted:

Yes, sorry I was phone posting. What everyone described was a metes and bounds survey. They're kind of cool, and it's all over old deeds in the eastern US.

My deed is like this too and I'm in the Bay Area. Might be because my neighborhood is fairly old, my house was built in 1920.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Sirotan posted:

That looks really good. Are those the pre-filled linesets and if so, are they just the right length or how are you dealing with the extra slack? Was it difficult to get it into the attic hole without kinking the line? I am thinking about a DIY install for one of these on my second floor later the year and am a little worried about how I'll run the lineset in my attic and out the side of the house.

They're pretty stiff and I wasn't too worried about feeding them in and getting them at the right angle, but the lines aren't filled yet, so I don't know if there are any problems, but it looks good from the outside.

They aren't pre-filled, you need to vacuum the lines after they've been connected or use a fancy product that Pioneer has to flush the lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDXIIJwDkM8

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If that wall gets direct sun I would leave the cover white.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kreeningsons posted:

Yeah this is basically all I want, just to stake the existing markets. Maybe I should find out who the original surveyor was.

From the surveyor’s website:

The quote was for a boundary survey.

Find a surveyor without a website imo. Ask a realtor for a recommendation-they'll know the guy who does residential stuff.

e: or if they do have a website it should be from 2005 and not have anything but name, address, phone number, maaaaybe an email.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If they have an aol email and still answer it they are obviously legit

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

You can also buy covers which are meant to allow the required amount of airflow while also looking less ugly. We got one for our ground level unit and it really stops you from noticing it as much with all the logos and complex shapes hidden.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How I spent my summer vacation. This may be boring but I spent enough time I'm going to at least inflict it on you a holes.

Started with a plumber, hoping that would make my life easier. I do not think it made my life easier. I don't know if I am bad at using service providers, or if people who are "good" at it would have just remodeled their bathroom.

plumber stopped here

time to head to the office

done removing

spent way too much time fitting these lovely engineered boards that will just turn to mush the next time someone splashes piss, should have just made a plywood pedestal. would have been flatter

How much leveling do we need? bah

Used double water in the first batch, whoops. did three total

Weird screw. See plumbing thread for more speculation

Ready to receive. I bought all the rings they had, wax, hybrid, and rubber. I didn't even try the wax, I wasn't able to place it well even on practice runs. I am worried the gap is right at the edge of this one's limit, but the extender made it way too thick.

Well it's finally usable again. Except the supply connection hose leaks, so back to the store again

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Deed chat, our POs family bought the house in 1946, and actually had the physical deed that went back to the 1860s when the federal government miraculously took ownership of the land. It was all printed out on some kind of printing device into the late 1800s, at which point future changes were written or typed onto the sheets, until that stuff stopped being recorded on physical paper the owners held onto. But I can trace all the mortgages and and refinances or payoffs up to that point. And probably somewhere in there is that full metes and bounds description.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Epitope posted:

How I spent my summer vacation. This may be boring but I spent enough time I'm going to at least inflict it on you a holes.

Patch job looks really good, especially considering what you had to work with. Nice work all around.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Patch job looks really good, especially considering what you had to work with. Nice work all around.

Thanks. Imgur bullies are telling me it won't last a year, maybe they're right. I don't really plan on leaving it like that, two packs of shims is kinda a joke, but I at least want to take a breath while we ponder changing to tile, and family arrives for a visit in 2 days so would be nice to have two potties again.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Epitope posted:

Thanks. Imgur bullies are telling me it won't last a year, maybe they're right. I don't really plan on leaving it like that, two packs of shims is kinda a joke, but I at least want to take a breath while we ponder changing to tile, and family arrives for a visit in 2 days so would be nice to have two potties again.

The fact that you shimmed it at all is more than most installs. And the number of shims actually goes towards supporting it properly - it would be worse if all the load was focused on fewer.

Snug it down, snap them off/shove in the ends, caulk around that thing (leave the back open so you can tell if it starts leaking) and call it done. Nothing lasts forever, but that's gonna last a long time. Even if it does start to move you used the nice fluidmaster not-wax-ring so it's gonna be fine.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What is the benefit of caulking around the toilet base?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

What is the benefit of caulking around the toilet base?

Mostly just for a finished look. Less important with your wood flooring, but with tile floors that you may be washing with a lot of liquid it prevents it from getting under the toilet where it's not going to dry well.

But over time on any floor the edges of the toilet are just going to be hard to clean where they meet the floor (concave). Caulk makes that edge convex and easier to wipe down so that's a nice bonus.

Normal people wouldn't notice, but sickos like me wouldn't consider the job finished without it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

Mostly just for a finished look. Less important with your wood flooring, but with tile floors that you may be washing with a lot of liquid it prevents it from getting under the toilet where it's not going to dry well.

But over time on any floor the edges of the toilet are just going to be hard to clean where they meet the floor (concave). Caulk makes that edge convex and easier to wipe down so that's a nice bonus.

Normal people wouldn't notice, but sickos like me wouldn't consider the job finished without it.

Make sure you use clear silicone for this :getin:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I typically match it to the toilet/use white. But in the case of this wood flooring I'd absolutely go with clear.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

VelociBacon posted:

And get your can of sprayway handy to properly wipe it.

Last night I did a super easy job, mount a TV. Below the TV was am outlet, and a return air grille that I could look into a see three studs. I had a studfinder. I also used a vertical laser pointed centered on a stud.

I missed the stud no less than four times.

I'm also unhappy with where the TV is placed, so I'm just going to switch for zip toggles and center it.

Also the TV has an internal short and won't turn on reliably, a manufacturing defect, so I'll have to return it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Epitope posted:

Ready to receive. I bought all the rings they had, wax, hybrid, and rubber. I didn't even try the wax, I wasn't able to place it well even on practice runs. I am worried the gap is right at the edge of this one's limit, but the extender made it way too thick.

I tried one of those seals when I swapped my last toilet (not the job a couple pages back) and the toilet was way high off the floor. I just removed it and used the included wax seal.

Also 'nth the clear silicone.

E:
Great job!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 17, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Good job Epitope

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm building a deck. Right now, I've got 15 footings approved and bags of concrete being delivered tomorrow.

Today I started to prepare for the ledger board on the right side. There will be a second deck section one step down to the left, where the bump out of the house is.

To get to the OSB, I had to pull off some siding, but also some 1x trim around the sliding door. When the house was build in '99, the house was finished before the concrete deck and steps were installed, so the cement steps pinched siding and wood trim against the house. As I removed the trim today. I found that the area between the steps and the house had seen water and decayed. To the point that the OSB is fully gone in a couple areas and insulation is exposed.

Not ideal, but there's an upside. To repair, I'm going to remove a 14"x8' section of OSB from behind the steps over to the right. This will allow me to make sure all the OSB is intact and proper. It will also expose the wood truss structure so I can accurately mark the trusses for ledger lag bolts. Right now, the basement is finished and I don't have a layout of the trusses easily available.

Any problems with my plan?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 18, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Last night I did a super easy job, mount a TV. Below the TV was am outlet, and a return air grille that I could look into a see three studs. I had a studfinder. I also used a vertical laser pointed centered on a stud.

I'm also unhappy with where the TV is placed, so I'm just going to switch for zip toggles and center it.

Also the TV has an internal short and won't turn on reliably, a manufacturing defect, so I'll have to return it.

perfectineveryway

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

StormDrain posted:

I hung a tv in my house last year.

Used the stud finder a few times and found the studs without issue. Only problem is I drilled right through some romex that was about 5’ from the floor connecting two switches on opposite sides of a wall to an outlet in the middle of the wall.

It was during the day when I drilled through so no lights turned off to indicate a problem. I mounted the tv, proud of my work, and then was pissed because it wouldn’t turn on.

Ended up sending the breaker tripped downstairs so after an electrician came out and disabled that wiring, the tv was good to go…

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Chicago Electric Code is good, and should be enforced nationally.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Chicago Electric Code is good, and should be enforced nationally.

That (single family residential) code is absolutely overkill and should not be enforced in a day and age where AFCI/CAFCI breakers exist.

It was a semi-reasonable solution before that. But that time is long gone.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

nwin posted:

Used the stud finder a few times and found the studs without issue. Only problem is I drilled right through some romex that was about 5’ from the floor connecting two switches on opposite sides of a wall to an outlet in the middle of the wall.

It was during the day when I drilled through so no lights turned off to indicate a problem. I mounted the tv, proud of my work, and then was pissed because it wouldn’t turn on.

Ended up sending the breaker tripped downstairs so after an electrician came out and disabled that wiring, the tv was good to go…

Sounds like your TV install had just an extra step involving bringing the electrician over, but now the TV is working fine. You did great.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nwin posted:

LOL because that was my last tv mount. Zzzap and the lights went out. Glanced off the stud. I should have been more cautious and visualized how the outlet below was fed. Which is probably why I glanced off the other side of the stud this time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Any problems with my plan?

On a scale of 1-10, that was pretty easy.

Cut out the rotted area, plus, this morning:

Made sure to mark the centers of the truss ends, cleaned everything, spray foamed the voids, gave the face a generous coating of construction adhesive, and cut a piece of OSB to fit. Fits nicely, really better than I expected.

One more can of spray foam and it'll be ready for back flashing then ledger board:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

StormDrain posted:

There's a lot of options here but I'm so happy with these that I want to share them in case you have them in your area:

I know what you're thinking, it's just another one of those anchors, but because this one specifically doesn't need to bend in half to go through the hole, the thread depth is way greater and they're rated much higher than what you'd typically see. I've been using them all over the place and I get legit excited when I have an excuse to use it.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Illuminado posted:

Got the wiring all clamped in and screwed down to terminals, I labeled both ends of the cooling lines and electrical so I'd know which goes where.

Hey not to be that guy, but the strain reliefs you used for the three extension cord type cables are not right for that application. First issue is that you have them installed backwards, the philips head screws should be outside the enclosure. Second issue is they're not rated to get wet, and they won't prevent water intrusion into your enclosure. You should be using a waterproof cable gland like https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/product/waterproof-grommets/ of an appropriate size for each cable.

TacoHavoc fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 19, 2023

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

TacoHavoc posted:

Hey not to be that guy, but the strain reliefs you used for the three extension cord type cables are not right for that application. First issue is that you have them installed backwards, the philips head screws should be outside the enclosure. Second issue is they're not rated to get wet, and they won't prevent water intrusion into your enclosure. You should be using a waterproof cable gland like https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/product/waterproof-grommets/ of an appropriate size for each cable.

Don't apologize, this is why I post in here. I'm not a professional and I appreciate the helpful information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Illuminado posted:

Don't apologize, this is why I post in here. I'm not a professional and I appreciate the helpful information.
..... Huh? Uh, ok, a little helpful information for you then - You're supposed to get increasingly belligerent when someone corrects you, citing code that you've very definitely misread, but when that's pointed out, you start lying about how actually your local code is different anyway, and also the inspector said doing it your way is better than code.