Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

repiv posted:

the writers strike came just in time for some dumbass TV executives to attempt to use GPT as a scab writer

Bold move, using non-copyrightable scripts. Let's see how that shakes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Famethrowa posted:

chatgpt absolutely isn't going away. it's being implemented on the corporate level for things like coding already.

and honestly? for very specific use cases, mostly spitting out boilerplate code to run testing, it's very good in the right hands.

I mean, it's basically just the automated version of copy+pasting from stack overflow and then tweaking a bit to fit your actual unique usecase which has been the go-to lazy developer move for ages.

B33rChiller posted:

What is almost certainly copyrighted though are the scripts and stories the bots were trained on, which I think is the big brewing battle if and when this tech actually does start to get used in the mainstream for high profile productions.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sydin posted:

I mean, it's basically just the automated version of copy+pasting from stack overflow and then tweaking a bit to fit your actual unique usecase which has been the go-to lazy developer move for ages.

What is almost certainly copyrighted though are the scripts and stories the bots were trained on, which I think is the big brewing battle if and when this tech actually does start to get used in the mainstream for high profile productions.

There's already been actors posting about contracts that grant the production company the right to their likeness and voice in perpetuity via AI reproduction, so presumably they're going to do their best to shove some sort of clause into writers contracts allowing for the work's use as trainng material unilaterally rather than actually deal with the ethical issue this presents in any sort of normal human way.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah, there's a potential fight over what can be fed into the food processor, and no legal protection for what gets spat out the other end. Not seeing a lot of actual upside for the media corporations.
They don't seem to think beyond "don't have to pay people for x, y, z any more"

Hey, this might actually be the right thread to post Leonard French.
https://youtu.be/ZK_EUFwsDu0

I enjoy his lawsplainer stuff. Less clickbaity and more detailed than legal eagle.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 16, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
imagining a beautiful world with no poets, writers or artists and just managers :)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Impermanent posted:

imagining a beautiful world with no poets, writers or artists and just managers :)

We taught the robots how to make art so we're free to do the things we truly want: manual labor and management

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Impermanent posted:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Impermanent posted:

Oops All CEOs

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

🎵imagine all the HR business partners...🎵

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I vaguely recall a Disney Channel movie that sort of tackles this problem. I think it was called Picture Perfect? I know it was "something" Perfect.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

B33rChiller posted:

It works for Coca Cola!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Impermanent posted:

A perfect world, over 80% of the population coding and microsoft excel experts

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
chatgpt is just cleverbot 2.0. i genuinely dont get how people are dazzled or impressed by it, especially people who have a basic understanding of how computers work.

additionally "training a bot" takes a ton of money and time. a bot cant edit a scene at set or to circumvent censorship. a bot has no sense of budget or scale or what a set is.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah all the fancy "Artificial Intelligence" platforms coming out are just automated statistical models loaded up with an absolutely massive data set and then relentlessly and continuously trained by an army of gig workers making ~$15/hour with no benefits until they spit out answers that are close enough to sounding okay that the average user doesn't rush to twitter to post the screencaps of the epic AI fail. ChatGTP doesn't know how to code, hell it doesn't even know what coding is, hell it doesn't know anything because it's not even a sentient thing. It does have terabytes of coding samples uploaded to it though and a bunch of humans tell it yes/no until if you ask it for code that does x it can cobble together enough examples from textbooks to give you something that still doesn't really work but is close enough a person who knows what they're doing can make some light edits to bring it over the finish line.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

Yeah all the fancy "Artificial Intelligence" platforms coming out are just automated statistical models loaded up with an absolutely massive data set and then relentlessly and continuously trained by an army of gig workers making ~$15/hour with no benefits until they spit out answers that are close enough to sounding okay that the average user doesn't rush to twitter to post the screencaps of the epic AI fail. ChatGTP doesn't know how to code, hell it doesn't even know what coding is, hell it doesn't know anything because it's not even a sentient thing. It does have terabytes of coding samples uploaded to it though and a bunch of humans tell it yes/no until if you ask it for code that does x it can cobble together enough examples from textbooks to give you something that still doesn't really work but is close enough a person who knows what they're doing can make some light edits to bring it over the finish line.

https://twitter.com/Standplaats_KRK/status/1656993644107255809/photo/1

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

the best use i've found for chatgpt is using it to help come up with names for things in tabletop games

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
if you ask chatgpt to give you a minmaxed pathfinder 1st ed character it gives you a pretty decent one

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

I can't wait for him to pull a hat trick and kill ChatGPT.

His next video is gonna be on meme stocks a-la GameStop and Bed Bath and Beyond, which... I don’t know if “kill” is the right word for that. More like “exorcise”.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

chatgpt and stable diffused art should be used exclusively for poo poo posting imo. they should be for when you want to see saul and sonic high five

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I've asked several chatbots about information that is known but not common knowledge and sometimes they answer correctly, other times they give me false information while acting like it's true, if you ask them if they're sure they double down on it but if you tell them that it's false they apologize and correct themselves... in some cases, in other cases they give you another answer containing a different kind of falsehood.

They're not even close to ready.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kamrat posted:

I've asked several chatbots about information that is known but not common knowledge and sometimes they answer correctly, other times they give me false information while acting like it's true, if you ask them if they're sure they double down on it but if you tell them that it's false they apologize and correct themselves... in some cases, in other cases they give you another answer containing a different kind of falsehood.

thats how posters work... they're ready

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

fun hater posted:

chatgpt is just cleverbot 2.0. i genuinely dont get how people are dazzled or impressed by it, especially people who have a basic understanding of how computers work.

Tech people are the easiest people on the planet to trick because they've convinced themselves that being good at computers means that they're too smart to ever be wrong about anything else. So when they get initially wowed by a chat bot they quickly convince themselves that they are on the inside track to something big and important because why else would they be impressed by it?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kamrat posted:

i like when you ask them to cite academic papers on a subject and they rattle off 10 paper titles that sound like they're what you want, by real researchers in that field, naming the real journals they were supposedly published in, and not a single one of the papers actually exists

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kamrat posted:

I'd argue that's the wrong way to use them and will always be so. they are trained on humans saying human things, sourced explicitly from the proverbial human rear end, and as such will occasionally act like your college drug dealer who owned an iguana and made you watch ancient aliens before you could gracefully leave. you don't want that guy writing your paper.

rather, I think they are should be used as a sorta meta-filter for how humans think on aggregate. stuff like "what would cyberpunk blues clues look like" where it will use its training data of human thought on blues clues and cyberpunk to synthesize something you can springboard off.

solely using them to get knowledge or create art will always create a beige pile of slop and that's probably OK?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

repiv posted:

i like when you ask them to cite academic papers on a subject and they rattle off 10 paper titles that sound like they're what you want, by real researchers in that field, naming the real journals they were supposedly published in, and not a single one of the papers actually exists

i used to do this for college papers. now the lazy students of the future can simply have a robot invent sources for them. the future is amazing....

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Famethrowa posted:

I'd argue that's the wrong way to use them and will always be so. they are trained on humans saying human things, sourced explicitly from the proverbial human rear end, and as such will occasionally act like your college drug dealer who owned an iguana and made you watch ancient aliens before you could gracefully leave. you don't want that guy writing your paper.

rather, I think they are should be used as a sorta meta-filter for how humans think on aggregate. stuff like "what would cyberpunk blues clues look like" where it will use its training data of human thought on blues clues and cyberpunk to synthesize something you can springboard off.

solely using them to get knowledge or create art will always create a beige pile of slop and that's probably OK?

It might be the wrong way to use these "tools" but this is how regular people are going to use them so they should give you accurate information instead of making poo poo up. Now if they're citing some forum post from 2003 on some obscure forum about a given topic I could understand it but I've had them make poo poo up.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 16, 2023

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kamrat posted:

It might be the wrong way to use these "tools" but this is how regular people are going to use them so they should give you accurate information instead of making poo poo up. Now if they're citing some forum post from 2003 on some obscure forum about a given topic I could understand it but I've had them completely make poo poo up.

I'm sure a LLM trained on academic sources is in the works, otherwise, no, they will probably never be "truthful" and that's probably impossible given that "truth" is unfortunately malleable and hard to pin down given.... humans.

e. I don't disagree but it feels quixotic to be mad at LLMs for how people are going to use them. it's not like it's a new problem?

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 16, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the best thing ai has ever made for me and I’m gonna frame it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

This is the best thing ai has ever made for me and I’m gonna frame it

...Beebo?

Pigbuster posted:

His next video is gonna be on meme stocks a-la GameStop and Bed Bath and Beyond, which... I don’t know if “kill” is the right word for that. More like “exorcise”.

Hey, if Dan kills r/wallstreetbets, then loving sweet!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wallstreetbets exists in an irony vortex where they acknowledge how stupid it all is while still participating in it, i can't see a video pointing out how stupid it is changing any minds there

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Famethrowa posted:

I'm sure a LLM trained on academic sources is in the works, otherwise, no, they will probably never be "truthful" and that's probably impossible given that "truth" is unfortunately malleable and hard to pin down given.... humans.

e. I don't disagree but it feels quixotic to be mad at LLMs for how people are going to use them. it's not like it's a new problem?
An academically trained robot won't be any different because the reason it's getting things wrong is not the quality of its training or sources but the fact that it is fundamentally a tool designed to assemble meaningless characters into arrangements that a human will mistake as a written sentence.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Being wrong but repeatedly insisting you're right sounds as about authentically human as you can get

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Oh yeah my house dot wad was discussed in the video game hoax thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343771

It's pretty neat!

probably worth discussing lilith.pk3 as an inspiration if you haven't yet (i would post it but I'm not done with myhouse so I'm avoiding spoilers for now)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7CD9AP57dg

Recently I've been watching Oboeshoesgames. They're fun little ten minute videos, kinda like the stuff Dunkey does, in a way. Mostly I'm just amused that he spends half the video runtime on a Mass Effect knockoff game rolling out his Mass Effect companion tier list or making mention of Bionicles.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

An academically trained robot won't be any different because the reason it's getting things wrong is not the quality of its training or sources but the fact that it is fundamentally a tool designed to assemble meaningless characters into arrangements that a human will mistake as a written sentence.

theoretically forcing an LLM to develop associations that are based on a scientifically verified set of data would create arrangements that meet some bar of "more truthful" but yes, it should not be used as a search engine fundamentally by design.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Gnome de plume posted:

Being wrong but repeatedly insisting you're right sounds as about authentically human as you can get

I'm not going to remember it, but some goon did a good post about how AI is really good at acting like a dumb person who thinks they're smart.

It uses a ton of filler sentences and quotes to max out space, talks with a lot of confidence to cover over the fact that it doesn't comprehend what it's talking about and just throws in enough sources and claims that it's too big of a pain to bother running them down so you just nod and move along.

I was actually pretty disappointed the last few times I used it trying to names for a bird and gift ideas, didn't really do anything except sum up the first few search results which is slightly useful but with search results going to poo poo who knows how valuable that that will stay.

Pigbuster posted:

Yeah, I'm really excited since they turned into a full on cult once the attention passed. Some real-rear end When Prophecy Fails stuff going on.

Fil5000 posted:

There's already been actors posting about contracts that grant the production company the right to their likeness and voice in perpetuity via AI reproduction, so presumably they're going to do their best to shove some sort of clause into writers contracts allowing for the work's use as trainng material unilaterally rather than actually deal with the ethical issue this presents in any sort of normal human way.

In case you missed it, the current Writers Guild strike has this as one of the key issues. They want promises that AI won't be used to touch up scripts in place of a writer and rules that their scripts can't be fed into an AI. The studios response was "Well, how about we hold a yearly meeting where we explain why it actually rules that we're trying to replace you?"

It's also going to be a huge deal with the SAG negotiations. New York state passed/set up to pass a law that you can't use a dead actor's image digitally without the estate's consent and Disney freaked the gently caress out and are trying to get living celebs to compromise before laws get written or the SAG agreement changes.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

An older lady I know told me her supposedly smart doctor son in law has a new friend who keeps appearing at their place, whom has retired at 40 because he made a ton of money from I assume being an early btc adopter and managing to sell it at its height. For some reason she also told me this person is "leading a sad life despite being rich" not sure what that meant but the guy is apparently always bored but also trying to get his friends into new web3 ventures. Apparently he's also convinced her daughter's family that ai was the big thing now but also accidentally convinced her that ai was going to kill humanity. She was literally complaining to me that chat gpt would lead to the Terminator 2 opening sequence of burning skeletons holding a fence. I told her the application is only replicating learned content without creating new thoughts but she's like ai will murder us all and my son in laws friend wants us to sponsor human genocide. She still doesn't know that ai was used to make the artwork for the happy teachers day greeting she sent to our group chat on WhatsApp

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

An older lady I know told me her supposedly smart doctor son in law has a new friend who keeps appearing at their place, whom has retired at 40 because he made a ton of money from I assume being an early btc adopter and managing to sell it at its height. For some reason she also told me this person is "leading a sad life despite being rich" not sure what that meant but the guy is apparently always bored but also trying to get his friends into new web3 ventures. Apparently he's also convinced her daughter's family that ai was the big thing now but also accidentally convinced her that ai was going to kill humanity. She was literally complaining to me that chat gpt would lead to the Terminator 2 opening sequence of burning skeletons holding a fence. I told her the application is only replicating learned content without creating new thoughts but she's like ai will murder us all and my son in laws friend wants us to sponsor human genocide. She still doesn't know that ai was used to make the artwork for the happy teachers day greeting she sent to our group chat on WhatsApp

my trainer found out I do IT and started asking me if I was prepared to stop the terminator. I laughed, he didn't.

that was an awkward workout.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Famethrowa posted:

my trainer found out I do IT and started asking me if I was prepared to stop the terminator. I laughed, he didn't.

that was an awkward workout.

how are you supposed to stop arnold schwarzenegger with your puny goon body lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You know Notch's mother-in-law?

(I kid, of course. Notch's ex-wife allegedly didn't even want child support from him.)