Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Junpei posted:

by the way, what counts as a "Mechanical Amalgam" for the purposes of OWSG Sinclair's T3 skill
Right now, it's apparently exclusively KQE-1J-23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Saigyouji posted:

Right now, it's apparently exclusively KQE-1J-23.

Oh really? I assumed that YWTGB?H? would count as well.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Arzaac posted:

Oh really? I assumed that YWTGB?H? would count as well.

According to the Story tab those people are still pretty much human beneath the weird rainbow armor and Sinclair is apparently extremely picky

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Einander posted:

Looking forward to visiting P Corp's Nest and discovering it's an extended Midgard reference. A big old ^&*(&$* rotten pizza.

What if P Corp's nest is a...

P... izza Tower :discourse:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Yinlock posted:

It does specify prolonged use, they're only ID'd up for a few minutes at a time

Of course, whichever poor test subject "discovered" this side effect is probably not in the greatest condition but hey not your team's problem. I mean until some mirror monster who is every possibility simultaniously attacks you in the railway.

Just an FYI but you can see this in game if you know your lore. It's actually very much the team's problem and is likely to be a huge future plot point.

It's Charon. The vroom vroom psychopath was originally an orphan girl who was kidnapped and basically mentally violated by splicing hundreds of new ID's into her mind until that was what came out the other side. As she puts it, she has no feelings or desires now, and she's basically a hollow shell of her former self formed around what is implied to be the dominant ID. To be clear, she was one of the more healthy outcomes with the other kidnapped orphans ending up dead or heavily mutated into non-recognizable forms.

Incidentally, Vergil ran the orphanage that was attacked by Iori and Tomerry to abduct them and kill the rest of the orphans off. Hence his "cheery" mood and homicidal behavior whenever it looks like someone is flaking out. The implication being that he expects to get his kids back at the end of this. Given some of his mannerisms he probably doesn't care if whatever the boughs do end the city so long as he gets what he wants. Dude is way off the deep end into nihilism and guilt as of his novel.

Also, there's a fan theory that the bus is the other surviving orphan which is why it takes enkephalin, a pain killer, to make it run. Since Lapis is there in the form of Charon it stands to reason that Vergil would want to keep Garnet close too given what happened to the both of them last time. We can't see Garnet since Garnet was stated to be heavily mutated* to the point where he might have been reduced to something else. And what is the most prominent character that isn't overtly mentioned?... :stonk:

* Keep in mind his alternate selves are all wham moments in terms of how significant they are. In one timeline, he's the Black Silence. In another, the Ring Maestro. In another he's a prominent guest of the library. Most notably, in one he lives as a normal person in a different city from the one in the games which has technological knowledge of things that are lost to the City. Adding onto that wham moment it reveals that the City has no knowledge of airplanes (also giving a possible reason why no one just leaves the place, since it's ringed by all sorts of horrors), since he gets momentarily stunned by not understanding what's heading towards him in that ID long enough to get kamikazed by a crashing plane, killing that alternate ID rather suddenly.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 16, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Archonex posted:

Incidentally, Vergil ran the orphanage that was attacked by Iori and Tomerry to abduct them and kill the rest of the orphans off.
Correction: Tomerry simply spawned on top of the orphanage after the ending of Ruina and Iori made a mad dash to them in order to snatch them up for whatever mysterious purposes she has in mind for them (finding them just as Vergil was about to annihilate them). The orphans were collateral.

Incidentally, Saude (the LCCB lady we met in chapter 2) was one of Vergil's orphans.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

GilliamYaeger posted:

Correction: Tomerry simply spawned on top of the orphanage after the ending of Ruina and Iori made a mad dash to them in order to snatch them up for whatever mysterious purposes she has in mind for them before Vergil could massacre them out of revenge. The orphans were collateral.

Incidentally, Saude (the LCCB lady we met in chapter 2) was one of Vergil's orphans.

My bad, but yeah, Vergil does not have a good track record of taking care of his orphans (who it should be added are children of the people he killed. Dude regularly does awful things then has a guilt complex about it later on. It's why his ego is him soaked in blood.) or landing them jobs that don't get them maimed in existentially new and horrifying ways.

I did think that Iori set that whole thing up, since it fits in with her schemes in Ruina. Meaning she is technically responsible. It also would play to her own narrative, since she's willing to do anything to see her own child again but is pulling bullshit like that to other people's kids.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Archonex posted:

My bad, but yeah, Vergil does not have a good track record of taking care of his orphans (who it should be added are children of the people he killed. Dude regularly does awful things then has a guilt complex about it later on. It's why his ego is him soaked in blood.) or landing them jobs that don't get them maimed in existentially new and horrifying ways.

I did think that Iori set that whole thing up, since it fits in with her schemes in Ruina. Meaning she is technically responsible. It also would play to her own narrative, since she's willing to do anything to see her own child again but is pulling bullshit like that to other people's kids.
To add onto the reason why Vergil's EGO is soaked in blood, it seems he's a victim/beneficiary/user of something he only describes as a "flow" (the way he describes it makes it sound like some kind of curse or fate?) that seems to guide his steps and grant him power but ultimately brings ruin to everyone he loves. When he told the Purple Tear's flunkies that "this flow cannot be stopped" in the prologue, that's what he was referring to. So he's not just covered in the blood of his enemies, but his loved ones as well.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Also I wanna note that Enkephalin isn't really a painkiller, it's a power source and a means to get high as gently caress, but we never use it to restore any HP, just SP.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TeeQueue posted:

Also I wanna note that Enkephalin isn't really a painkiller, it's a power source and a means to get high as gently caress, but we never use it to restore any HP, just SP.

It's a painkiller for roughly the reason any given mind-altering substance can be considered a painkiller, you don't "feel" the pain whilst high as a loving kite.

Painkillers don't restore physical health, they restore mental capability (by over-riding the nervous systems pain response).

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
My guess is that mirror bleedthrough is how we will eventually get cross-ID ability attribution.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Junpei posted:

I've kind of been operating under the assumptions that a Nest is centered in the direct middle of the district it's in (they're all vaguely circular/round) and the Backstreets form a 'ring' around the Nest. Is that what you think they look like, too? Just idly curious.

A Hook Office Fixer, Page 2 posted:

Backstreets are spread all over the City, and the Nests are no exception. But all this means is that “there are Backstreets in the Nests”, since the Nests are completely segregated from the Backstreets in terms of access.
I imagine more really jagged polygons, so you can get Backstreets running into the Nests, though I imagine that isn't really right. Definitely think the Backstreets border Districts/Nests though, rather than Nests bordering another Nest or District boundary.

GilliamYaeger posted:

That's what I'd assume too, with the Backstreets filling the gaps between the Nests...but I also distinctly remember a flashback in Wonderlab where the Nest that Rose grew up in was far above the Backstreets? But I can't remember where it was in the comic and it's a bit much to just dig through a 50 chapter long comic for a single image...
You might be thinking of Hookah Caterpillar 2, in which case it wasn't the Nest being above the Backstreets, that was Rose going to a really tall building to get the height to look at the Outskirts.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
I unistalled the game for a WEEK and apparently the game dropped Vergilius, the best waifu in the entire game, EGO?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Archonex posted:

Just an FYI but you can see this in game if you know your lore. It's actually very much the team's problem and is likely to be a huge future plot point.

It's Charon. The vroom vroom psychopath was originally an orphan girl who was kidnapped and basically mentally violated by splicing hundreds of new ID's into her mind until that was what came out the other side. As she puts it, she has no feelings or desires now, and she's basically a hollow shell of her former self formed around what is implied to be the dominant ID. To be clear, she was one of the more healthy outcomes with the other kidnapped orphans ending up dead or heavily mutated into non-recognizable forms.

Incidentally, Vergil ran the orphanage that was attacked by Iori and Tomerry to abduct them and kill the rest of the orphans off. Hence his "cheery" mood and homicidal behavior whenever it looks like someone is flaking out. The implication being that he expects to get his kids back at the end of this. Given some of his mannerisms he probably doesn't care if whatever the boughs do end the city so long as he gets what he wants. Dude is way off the deep end into nihilism and guilt as of his novel.

Ah, that clears things up and also nothing at all. :lobcorp:

Charon does seem somewhat emotionally stunted but not entirely blank on that front, every chapter seems to have a small aside where she shows some level of emotional attachment/reaction to something or other. We're probably going to fight Vergil at some point though given how he's mostly been antagonistic and oppressive, though that's also because the Sinners are extremely easily distracted and would just wander off and die if someone wasn't keeping them in line.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Yinlock posted:

Charon does seem somewhat emotionally stunted but not entirely blank on that front, every chapter seems to have a small aside where she shows some level of emotional attachment/reaction to something or other. We're probably going to fight Vergil at some point though given how he's mostly been antagonistic and oppressive, though that's also because the Sinners are extremely easily distracted and would just wander off and die if someone wasn't keeping them in line.

Most of the gang seem to have AHDH, especially Don. She would follow a butterfly if it was pretty.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I unistalled the game for a WEEK and apparently the game dropped Vergilius, the best waifu in the entire game, EGO?

Pretty sure they're referring to something that happened in Leviathan. Which I need to get around to reading.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

The Lord of Hats posted:

Pretty sure they're referring to something that happened in Leviathan. Which I need to get around to reading.

Was it translated? I heard PM didn't project to.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Most of the gang seem to have AHDH, especially Don. She would follow a butterfly if it was pretty.

No one on this bus is neurotypical.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Was it translated? I heard PM didn't project to.

They did up to the 15th chapter, the last four, people machine translated.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's a painkiller for roughly the reason any given mind-altering substance can be considered a painkiller, you don't "feel" the pain whilst high as a loving kite.

Painkillers don't restore physical health, they restore mental capability (by over-riding the nervous systems pain response).

To be fair, if the bus theory is correct the distinction is largely meaningless. You'd damned well want your mentally and existentially tortured orphan busified child to be high as a kite to the point of depersonalization for the majority of the experience until you could fix them.

Alternatively, if the "Dante is secretly Garnet" theory is true then between Lapis, Garnet, Effie, and Saude holy poo poo is Vergil a bad surrogate parent to a near parodic degree.

Edit: Though, this makes me wonder if the City has therapists in the more well to do places for all the insane bullshit that happens to its victims. :v:

"Yes, I got turned into a multi-dimensional aberration of human science after seeing all of my fellow orphans get brutally murdered or experimented on until they broke in ways novel and unknown to the human mind. Then one day some white haired autistic woman picked up a wrench and turned me into a man eating bus so that my orphan sister could climb inside of me to run me over pedestrians to keep me fed via literal human suffering. What are your hourly rates?"

Yinlock posted:

They're clearly dropping hints that there's more left to her than we'd suspect (Probably to set up the conflict between the sinners who will get to know her as Charon and Vergil who raised her as Lapis if it turns out that he doesn't give a rats rear end about keeping Charon around if it means getting Lapis back.), but even she admits at one point in a one off line that she's kind of hollow in certain areas. Identity theft can really gently caress up the victim's life.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 16, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, what do you think the strongest combo of 5 N Corp IDs on a team would be (okay objectively, Meursault/Faust/Sinclair gotta make up the core, but I wanna see which of Rodion, Heathcliff or Don doesn't make the cut.)

StuffyEvil
Nov 8, 2022

Poison sandwich tea party starts now
(art from @luingear on Twitter)

Junpei posted:

So, what do you think the strongest combo of 5 N Corp IDs on a team would be (okay objectively, Meursault/Faust/Sinclair gotta make up the core, but I wanna see which of Rodion, Heathcliff or Don doesn't make the cut.)

Just at a glance, N Corp Heathcliff can be on the backline since his passive increases Nail infliction, which is nice.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Yinlock posted:

Keep in mind that Vergil has just come off seeing everyone in his life that he cared about die. The orphans that he raised were mostly killed by Tomerry, and Leviathan ends with his Fixer office completely wiped out with him as the only survivor (complete with one of them backstabbing the rest because Vergil would only kill him while the Ring would kill his family) while failing to meaningfully save Lapis OR Garnet - then Faust walked into the room out of nowhere and recruited him while he was basically surrounded by their corpses. And now this hideously depressed man who has lost both his smile and his optimism has been asked to look after a bus full of violent lunatics, while looking after the two living reminders of his failure to keep anyone safe - that being Charon and Garnet, and regardless of whether the latter has become the core of the bus or Dante the result is the same.

Course the man's going to be surly and quick to anger.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 17, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The interesting thing is that while Vergil does broadly treat the Sinners with contempt, he's actually pretty cordial with Faust and even defers to her in certain situations, so whatever she said to him just after Leviathan ended, it didn't make him hate her, at least.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Missed daily login rewards. Feels bad.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Feels like there’s no way Dante is Garnet given how gruff Vergil is with him, I’m on team “he’s the bus”. I’m also on team “The City is on the moon” because that would be fun

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
We’ve never heard the city’s name because its name is Project Moon because there was a project to make a city on the moon

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Pigbuster posted:

Feels like there’s no way Dante is Garnet given how gruff Vergil is with him, I’m on team “he’s the bus”. I’m also on team “The City is on the moon” because that would be fun
He also described Dante as being a big shot before the clock head amnesia thing happened which Garnet, as an orphan and mid grade Fixer, was very distinctly not.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

He also described Dante as being a big shot before the clock head amnesia thing happened which Garnet, as an orphan and mid grade Fixer, was very distinctly not.

Yeah, it's why i'm on the theory that the bus is probably Garnet or he'll show up later, since Mephistopheles fits Charon's whole underworld naming theme and it'd make the whole Charon thing a neat red herring of a twist since it had more to do with her relation to Vergil than some generic literature to anime-esque reference.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
Verg's general attitude towards everyone could also tie in to what we know about his past and how things have gone for him: He's keeping his distance from all of the people around him to prevent them from getting swept into the Flow.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

GilliamYaeger posted:

Wait, she was?!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Lunatic 0verlord posted:

Wait, she was?!

Yep.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Waiting for fanart of Vergil drinking a cup of coffee with "dad of the year" printed on it

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

Archonex posted:

Waiting for fanart of Vergil drinking a cup of coffee with "dad of the year" printed on it

He definetely would have left it in the trash for everyone to see.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I've completed the refraction railway, but not under 120 turns. I kind of want to, but also :effort:

Anyone got any braindead strategy for this?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So there's a whole lot of variables to Railway that makes it hard to recommend a braindead strategy, but I will say that a lot of fights generally boil down to "use 1-3 of the best damage dealers (R Heath, W Don, Tingtang or Kurokumo Hong Lu, probably Chef Ryoshu and N Sinclair as well) and the rest of the slots with useful supports (primarily N Faust and Seven Section Outis), and just try to constantly hit weakness".

For something a little more involved, this spreadsheet is really, really good. Features a lot of talk about what characters are good, when and where to use them, and general strategy for every fight (as well as some par times to try and hit). It was written before Chef Ryoshu and N Sinclair came out, to be fair, but they're worthwhile additions due to the crazy damage they can add.

Oh, and of course remember that you can always borrow a sinner from a friend, assuming you don't already have all the OP ones.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 17, 2023

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Oh yeah, that's not a problem. I got fairly lucky on rolling identities, and farmed the rest of them. I also ended up farming all but one EGO, Telepole Faust, because well why would I, she's got a better HE EGO.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Cut it close but finally ground out enough fights to get all the rewards from Hell's Chicken.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
60th pull on the Hong Lu banner. I have pulled 4 000 identities from this banner, and like 3 egos. I am incredibly lucky.

None of the identities have been Hong Lu. I want the stupid tingtang murder machine. I don't care that kurokumo is probably just as good, I want the one who's face is on the banner. I have all the other season 1 faces, they all fell out of the magic internet gumball machine before him. Give me my pollyanna bishie murder machine project moon, it's all I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Does anyone know the specific math of what 'fragility' status effects actually do? I went and exchanged hex nail before my shards go poof, and now I'm wondering what effect that +3 fragility overload will have on Rip Space.