Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I’m thinking of getting a set of Pazoma saddle bags for my Sportster. They look like what I’m after (soft bags, medium size, don’t have to relocate my turn signals, not super expensive) but I can’t find much in the way of reviews.

I don’t order from overseas often, so I’m a bit apprehensive. Anyone buy parts from this company before?

https://www.pazomaracing.com/en-ca/...e-sportster-fxr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

MetaJew posted:

I went to a shop to try on the HJC RPHA 1N. I think I'm a size small in HJC. It's weird. I tried on a medium and the crown of the helmet felt tighter or more uncomfortable.

I walked around the shop with the size Small on for maybe 10-15 minutes and didn't feel any real major discomfort. It also felt about the right amount of tight on my cheeks so I think that's the size I will buy.

Unfortunately, they still didn't have any of the X-Fifteens in stock or demos to try on.

I'm not sure if I should go for the X-fifteen or the RPHA 1N if they both fit well. The only reason honestly I'm tempted to get the RPHA is this graphic honestly looks really great in person. Otherwise, I'll likely get the X-Fifteen in white.

\/\/\/\/\/ Edit: Yeah this

The rpha line is fantastic. I don’t know what they go for in the US, but here in Australia HJC’s mid/high end stuff has the build quality and comfort of helmets twice the price - I wore an RPHA 11 the last five years and only recently switched to an Arai to fit a wider range of glasses. (Which I could probably do by cutting a bigger channel in an rpha’s foam to be honest. Maybe I just wanted to treat myself to a pricey helmet just once)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

epswing posted:

I’m thinking of getting a set of Pazoma saddle bags for my Sportster. They look like what I’m after (soft bags, medium size, don’t have to relocate my turn signals, not super expensive) but I can’t find much in the way of reviews.

I don’t order from overseas often, so I’m a bit apprehensive. Anyone buy parts from this company before?

https://www.pazomaracing.com/en-ca/...e-sportster-fxr

I have a set of bags similar to this from cycle gear, brand new still have tags on them. Where are you located?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Nitrox posted:

I have a set of bags similar to this from cycle gear, brand new still have tags on them. Where are you located?

Ah cool, I’m near Toronto. Got a link to the model? Sportsters are touchy with bags that fit without signals/shocks getting in the way.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
For sizing modular helmets, my chin shouldn't be right up against the chinbar, correct?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Any helmet, even

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Welp, time for an exchange then. Yay more waiting. :negative:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the thing i've circled is not the collar of his jacket.

also at a later time in the video, he pulls up on the bike and takes his helmet off without undoing the strap, because he never did it up in the first place. 😐

on one hand, dude has a weird loving head and he can't do anything about that.

on the other hand, dude has a hundred million loving dollars and i'm positive he could get any of the helmet companies to make him a custom one that actually fits, like they do for racers. he's just being cheap and lazy

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
thank god we finally gave jay leno his comeuppance in this thread. how will he ever recover from this

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

For sizing modular helmets, my chin shouldn't be right up against the chinbar, correct?

I've always heard you should be able to fit a finger between your chin and the chinbar. Honestly that still seems too close to me, but I've never seen anything concrete from a safety rating organization or a manufacturer about it.

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
Jay's puttering around in Kirkland Signature jeans and a thrifted leather jacket, we're lucky he's wearing a (close to) full face helmet of any kind.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

thank god we finally gave jay leno his comeuppance in this thread. how will he ever recover from this

He hosed over Conan O'Brien and he also seems like kind of a prick in general

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
dude apparently owns like a storage container of honda runes in mint condition, hes a monster

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

dude apparently owns like a storage container of honda runes in mint condition, hes a monster

That seems unlikely. Unless his YouTube channel personality is all just an act he seems to genuinely care about the machines in his collection actually being used and driven and not just collecting dust.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

He hosed over Conan O'Brien

Betwen that, and having a garbage show that ran for like 20 years, he cannot be forgiven

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Chickenbisket posted:

I have a pair of Alpinestar Belize Drystar boots in size 12 that have been super comfortable for touring and they look fairly discreet with long pants on.

Ended up getting a pair of these and after they broke in a bit, they are pretty drat comfy as well as being exactly the weight I was looking for. These will definitely be what I ride in 3 seasons of the year.

I did have to adjust my shift lever to get the boot in there, but it was honestly too low anyway and it’s a common complaint people have about the Bonneville from the factory.

Now I’m afraid I need to replace my helmet sooner than I’d like because I am realizing it never fit as well as I thought and the lining is kinda shifting around in a way that has me concerned it won’t stay in place when I need it to if there’s a crash.

I keep ending up with HJC options when I get into a price point that isn’t painful for me right now, filter for an ECE rating, and insist on a drop down sun visor because it’s my favorite thing about my current helmet. I haven’t had a great impression of them as a brand, but is that just because they have super budget options as well as better helmets?

I tend towards white helmets for safety, so most of what I’m looking at is pretty boring but drat if this Arai that’s on clearance isn’t making me reconsider the sun visor because it’s one of the few helmets I’ve genuinely liked that would be in any way comfortable for long rides.

I would love for a Bell Bullit to be comfortable but lol no.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I’m also searching for a helmet.

I have had a lot of HJC’s so I lean towards them for ease of finding something that I know will fit. I’m kind of leaning towards modular so I can walk around with my helmet on like a loving dork.

Any reviews of the RHPA line? I ride enough to justify the higher cost. Just sucks that all the places seem to be out of the mid tier options. I’d rather have some Bold New Graphics rather than paying a lot to play mr. Invisible with a CF helmet.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

HJC makes helmets in literally every price point you can think of. Their high end offerings are a good deal too. As always fit is king.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
They didn’t have the exact Arai I ended up ordering so I won’t know for sure until it arrives, but holy poo poo did I have no idea helmets could be that nice. More than $800 helmet for about $500. Fingers crossed …

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That Arai looks very cool imo

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I had season premiere in the mesh gear today. It felt really nice. Only 22c so not really necessary and probably too cold on a long ride but I just went on a short trip for some errands and it was perfect.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah 22 and mesh is a great combo for doing stuff in town I find

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I don't think that's supposed to happen :ohdear:

Brand new Icon D3O back protector. Ripped in half after the first ride, in a pocket specifically sized for those dimensions.

spouse fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 13, 2023

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

First thought was you have massive Sasquatch feet and hulk-shifted so hard you somehow ripped your insoles.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I'm pretty excited at the closeout Cortech pants I just got. I've been losing weight, and these are both in a size smaller than my existing pants and fit well. Both were $70, one is a jeans with both a Dyneema mix in the cotton and a separate Kevlar layer from rear end to knee. No armor is included but the knee pockets have an external zip so it's a lot easier to swap around as needed. The other is a khaki-ish chino, so I'll finally have something that's business casual that's also protective.

Geekboy posted:

Also: Any opinions on Tobacco jeans? They make jeans that actually fit my fat rear end and aren't, like Street & Steel Patriot Gunshow Apple Pie or whatever they're called. Their jackets, even when wide enough to zip up, barely fit over my shoulders. This is apparently a very common complaint for them. So maybe they should, like, make things that fit people round enough to need a larger size.

I can't get over the price. My favorite jeans yet are from Dyns. They're made to fit in all sorts of sizes, so I was happy to get something in 30L since the default for so many are 32L and half the time the knee armor is down to the shins. AA and AAA rated options and they look proper good as jeans on their own. I'm sure Tobacco look nice too, but $300+ on a pair is too much for me.

Nitrox posted:

I have burns on my forearm where kevlar overheated from friction, but did not break itself, just transferred that heat over to my skin
How bad were the burns? 2nd degree?

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

epswing posted:

First thought was you have massive Sasquatch feet and hulk-shifted so hard you somehow ripped your insoles.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

spouse posted:

Brand new Icon D3O back protector. Ripped in half after the first ride, in a pocket specifically sized for those dimensions.

What the poo poo

Like, any stress or anything instigating it? I just put one of those in my old Joe Rocket jacket and while it's not crash tested, it's hard to picture it coming apart all on its own unless you got one that was sliced beforehand or something.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

spouse posted:

Is there a manufacture date on it? Afaik all CE rated stuff should have one, eg

This was made Feb 2019. I read somewhere once you want to replace armor every 5 years. Maybe that was sitting for some time? Either way I’d ask for a refund/replacement.

Trip report: although I only had about 20 minutes, it is sooo much quieter than an RF-1200 on track, even without the chin curtain installed. I assume the trade off is it will be loud as hell on the street. Can’t really speak to the stability or lift or whatever, but the RF-1200 definitely would lift for me when doing ~80mph into a headwind.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I had the same thing happen to a fairly new D30 back piece once. I concur with the idea that it was probably pre-cut/ripped somewhere between the factory and you. Just ask for a replacement or refund.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Toe Rag posted:

Is there a manufacture date on it? Afaik all CE rated stuff should have one, eg

This was made Feb 2019. I read somewhere once you want to replace armor every 5 years. Maybe that was sitting for some time? Either way I’d ask for a refund/replacement.

Looks like it says April 2021.

I already reached out to revzilla. I think I'll probably go with a different brand tbh.

I did the following: removed it from packaging, wiggled it a little (not roughly), put it into my jacket (it fit fine, no folding or anything), I took it for a normal, non-spirited ride to the grocery store. I looked at my jacket a day later, and it is in two pieces.

I'm assuming it's a defect from the manufacturer. Packaging wasn't damaged. Such is life. glad i noticed it! :thumbsup:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

metallicaeg posted:

How bad were the burns? 2nd degree?
1st or 2nd, not sure exactly. Not a doctor, just googling the description. The most amazing part is my forearm was only on the asphalt for like 2 seconds. I started rolling to avoid this very issue.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any suggestions on getting a face mask into a full-face helmet? It's smokey as gently caress out today (like the sky is orange) and I'd prefer not to give myself emphysema riding to work.

I tried one of my old fabric masks from the early days of covid and my cheek pads just pushed it right down my face.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
If you have an N95, it's possible to push it up from the bottom and get it over your nose/mouth. Eg.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Man my helmet stanks after my ride up the 101 in the rain lol. Now I know what wet human smells like

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Today my pointer finger felt cold in one spot on the lever, and welp... it appears that my Cortech Chicane RR's that have been in service maybe 8 months of the last year (and which suck in other ways) have worn through at the fingertip like the felt slippers I made as a kid. Leather palms sure, but they scrimped on leather on the only part of the loving glove that gets constant wear from the controls.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If simply wearing the gloves had that effect I'm glad you didn't get to find out what crashing in them does

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Plz get some gloves with actual leather on the palm side rather than whatever that is.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Right? I probably shouldn't have crossed my fingers on gear, the construction being garbage was obvious months ago.

Sticking in my winter gloves now while I wait till I'm out of state to order the gloves I want to try next, apparently the state of California objects to the leather in Alpinestars' GP Pro R3, thinking maybe the kangaroo. I've been trying to replace these for a while but I'm a challenging fit and gauntlets aren't popular or well stocked.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Love my Dianese Carbon gauntlets. They are up to 4 now, I have the 3s maybe you can find some on clearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

Right? I probably shouldn't have crossed my fingers on gear, the construction being garbage was obvious months ago.

Sticking in my winter gloves now while I wait till I'm out of state to order the gloves I want to try next, apparently the state of California objects to the leather in Alpinestars' GP Pro R3, thinking maybe the kangaroo. I've been trying to replace these for a while but I'm a challenging fit and gauntlets aren't popular or well stocked.

The kangaroo ban is so stupid. There is also the RS3 glove, which as far as I can tell is exactly the same except no kangaroo leather. It's sold out, which doesn't help, but just FYI. That is a track focused glove, so there is more hard plastic/TPU parts on it than you may be expecting, eg finger tips, knuckles, wrist cuff. I personally think the glove is very comfortable, and I don't even notice the hard parts, except closing the cuff can sometimes take more than one attempt.

There are also Racer Gloves which have a kangaroo palm, and do not seem to mind shipping to California. I have a pair of short-cuff gloves from them, and they are pretty nice, but I mostly just wear those Alpinestars gauntlets at this point. The sizing feels similar.