Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Rappaport posted:

Awful. :smith:

His last words, though? Work of art, bless you sir.

can we change the title to them? :smith:

nashona fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The idea of Briscoe and Munch teaming up full time like that article says Belzer suggested would have been great though. Rest in peace in that big snow globe in the sky, you motherfucker.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

nashona posted:

can we change the title to them? :smith:

agreed

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://deadline.com/2023/02/law-and-order-svu-marathon-richard-belzer-usa-network-1235269509/

quote:

The episodes included in the marathon are “Remorse,” “Legacy,” “Manhunt,” “Parts,” “Uncle,” “Unorthodox,” “True Believers,” “Wonderland Story,” “Spring Awakening,” and “Fashionable Crimes.”

Now if only we could get Homicide back on cable...

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 26, 2023

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Nice to see an L&O classic episode admit that the NYPD has a flaw or two, and not pretend it was anything but systemic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yah, was a nice breath of fresh air.

After Wheel and Jeopardy Blue Bloods comes on the same channel and we watch out of morbid curiosity. It’s so bad. And the dick sucking cops get is so blatant. It’s no wonder it airs on the same channel that does sermons. Yes TV I think? Night only be Canadian.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Organized Crime has lost another showrunner; Sean Jablonski has stepped down and David Graziano (who has multiple complaints of workplace aggression against him) is taking his place.

That marks OC's fifth showrunner in a little over a year. Something is in the water, and I am starting to think it's Meloni.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Organized Crime is stupid, but I would watch Chris Meloni beat suspects interrogate people in a not-so-stupid show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

All three Law & Order shows have been renewed (along with the Chicago shows). There's a catch with Organized Crime, however; while Vanilla and SVU received full 22-episode orders, OC only got 13 episodes. Supposedly, OC's producers have a "very specific" plan for the season that works best with a shorter run.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If OC sticks through 13 episodes with one show runner that's progress.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

There is something about the cinematography of OC that just rubs me the wrong way. The lighting is just...too bright? It's very unnatural looking in a way that I find constantly distracting.

The show is also dumb as hell and I continue to laugh every time they get Stabler working undercover after they gave him an award for being a super cop and put him on TV and poo poo.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The previous to last SVU had that crazy season 10-ish sensibility about it. "I hope you saved your tips, for your lawyer", poisoned limes, figuring out to save your pee after being drugged, the works.

This is the goofy energy I come here for! Making me care about how the new hire manages, and survives being under-cover with not drinking while going under-cover in a bar setting, just gimme that stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sirotan posted:

The show is also dumb as hell and I continue to laugh every time they get Stabler working undercover after they gave him an award for being a super cop and put him on TV and poo poo.

Seriously. Twelve years in SVU with several undercover jobs. Plus Richard Wheatley put him on live TV and made him confess his sins to all of New York or whatever the gently caress was happening that year. He's burned.

Fin, for that matter, should never go undercover again, either, based on all the times he was in deep cover during his time in narcotics.

Chicago PD also gets silly with this; every criminal in the entire Chicago metro area should know Jay Halstead's face but he went undercover four or five times a season.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I really liked the OC Chinatown episodes. They were super tense and unpredictable in a good way, and all the actors were really good.

The gay bar episode was...quite something. Stabler was convincingly unconvincing as an undercover gay guy, but it didn't make any sense to me that these experienced con artists wouldn't have seen right through his feeble attempts to homosexualize himself.

Arivia posted:

The idea of Briscoe and Munch teaming up full time like that article says Belzer suggested would have been great though. Rest in peace in that big snow globe in the sky, you motherfucker.

Law & Order: Hell's Victims Unit. Briscoe and Munch rescue people who find themselves in Hell because of minor sin-related technicalities. God is the ADA, the devil is the prosecutor.

Timby posted:

Organized Crime has lost another showrunner; Sean Jablonski has stepped down and David Graziano (who has multiple complaints of workplace aggression against him) is taking his place.

That marks OC's fifth showrunner in a little over a year. Something is in the water, and I am starting to think it's Meloni.

OC is the gayest, womanliest, least white mainstream show I've ever seen, and I really hope that's not a factor in this revolving showrunner door. What would make you think Meloni is the issue though?

Timby posted:

Seriously. Twelve years in SVU with several undercover jobs. Plus Richard Wheatley put him on live TV and made him confess his sins to all of New York or whatever the gently caress was happening that year. He's burned.

They should have at least tried to disguise him or something. He's not especially distinctive or anything, but he's not completely unknown either.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watch a classic season one OG last night (episode 11) and drat was it good. Some really good speeches sprinkled in it and it really shows how awesome the really early stuff was. The whole season is like 18 bucks on prime too.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

YeahTubaMike posted:

OC is the gayest, womanliest, least white mainstream show I've ever seen, and I really hope that's not a factor in this revolving showrunner door. What would make you think Meloni is the issue though?

I am not OP, but if it was anyone other than the veteran headliner star, presumably they would have been fired, instead of the showrunner

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Sirotan posted:

There is something about the cinematography of OC that just rubs me the wrong way. The lighting is just...too bright? It's very unnatural looking in a way that I find constantly distracting.

:hmmyes: it's shot like The Dark Knight but it's somehow even more absurd than a man in a bat suit fighting organized crime

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm catching up on classic LnO and I feel that Pryce keeps doing 180s on how to enforce the law.

But also lol at the cash bail and very special reefer madness episodes

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm watching episode 15 right now and I know it wasn't necessarily meant to be funny, but Cosgrove's reaction at the end of the cold open cracked me up. I'm also on complete tenterhooks as to how they're going to resolve this Shaw profiling subplot.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Nolan suuuuuuuuucks.
But also the lawyer side has gotten so weak. Nolan loses every motion and you can tell it's just to pad the run time.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Modern law and order episode:
Pre murder scene
Murder discovery
Facial rec' saves us the trouble of watching police work
A footxhase where somehow detective burn notice has clairvoyance to know where the suspect will be flushed out to.
An arrest
Nolan gets his rear end kicked in court
Loses fifty motions
They convince someone to heroically testify
Conviction

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The big problem with modern vanilla is that the pre-credit scene isn't some random New Yorkers stumbling across a body. Those were always fun little vignettes.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Exceptionally good SVU ep this week. I usually gently caress around in my phone while watching all the various L&O's but this one had me fixated. The 'twist' at the end actually felt earned this time instead of just sensationalistic. This whole season has been pretty good really.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Watching another episode of vanilla, and Pryce loses another motion after the previous five minutes were detective burn notice and the new guy saying "it can't be that easy" looks like it wasn't!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Law and Order vanilla doesn't need to worry about the writer's strike because the writing is already by chatgpt and also Pryce loses every motion. He stinks. Fire him, McCoy ! Retreat spoilers

Let's talk talk the trial. They begin having the argument over if the kid should be bounced to juvie. And then there's a line about "oh you wouldn't cut a black gang banger slack" which is a bad line because it offyscates the race issue they're hinting at. A "gangbanger" is, by definition, already a criminal. And they have to add it because the people having the conversation are all our heroes so the idea there racist can't actually be entertained. We,the viewers, know Jack would never try s black kid differently so he needs to also be a gangbanger in the hypothetical. They decide adult court and then there's a motion about the confession which price loses. First I think it's dumb he lost it because the kid ends up using an affirmative defense anyways and it's not like weakening the case makes them try it differently, so why? The juvie conversation should have happened here after the motion. And of course Lily Burnnotice has more to add, but there's no reason for that, she should already be mad at her dad,
which is why you never tell the cops anything, ever even your dad he doesn't need a second inciting incident. Anyways. Did not like.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I did like how they handled the contractually obligated chase scene this week though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Even the extras are sick of it

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
All I could think about was how bad a time Lily was gonna have in school now that everyone knows she's a snitch to her cop daddy.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

dovetaile posted:

All I could think about was how bad a time Lily was gonna have in school now that everyone knows she's a snitch to her cop daddy.

Very surprised the episode didn't end with her getting kicked out of the school.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

What a bizarre episode.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not exactly a fan of them breaking things up into two shows with their separate realities and characters to keep mental track of, but this week's SVU+Stabler combo was such a nostalgia hit for me. Elliot gets to (very slightly) beat someone up, and the central plot-line is simultaneously super-serious and very silly. And there were a couple of twists! Slightly contrived, but still. This hit most of the beats for me of classic season 7-ish SVU.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Coxswain Balls posted:

What a bizarre episode.

The funny thing is you could say that about any of the three episodes last night. :v:

I'm wondering why all of a sudden Rollins is some ace-level criminal profiler six months after leaving the NYPD, and why did she rush downtown to a crime scene to deliver a verbal profile instead of, I don't know, emailing it to Benson and Stabler?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Man I am real tired of vanilla's constant habit of motions to suppress something every week.

Also got real worried about detective burn notice but I guess there's still one episode left this season?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kingtheninja posted:

Also got real worried about detective burn notice but I guess there's still one episode left this season?

This week's episodes are the season finales of all three shows. But the only actor not under contract for season 23 of Vanilla is Sam Waterston, who's taking things year-by-year (understandable, given his advanced age).

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

A bit silly that attempted murder of a police officer wasn't added to the charges. I half expected them to take that plea and then charge him with that after the money was recovered.

Young Jay Baumann was a distracting defendant but the actor did soulless eyes rather well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arbite posted:

A bit silly that attempted murder of a police officer wasn't added to the charges.

That threw me for a loop when I re-watched the episode.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I just assumed it was going to be a separate thing but yeah how does that not come up?

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Feels very weird to post in this thread knowing that I was also posting on forums about SVU back in like 2008. Hi everyone, I just realized Carisi is attractive so I finally watched the last couple seasons of SVU instead of just the Stabler episodes.

What is with Benson treating Velasco like that? She finds out he was kidnapped as a teen and forced into murder training camp... and wants him to arrest one of his fellow kidnapped teens? She's crazy. And I can say that because I'm a woman.

Also, the cinematography on Organized Crime is insane. I haven't watched a lot of episodes, but it seems a lot more serialized than any other procedural, which is interesting. The beginning voiceover sucks though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

emo-ignorance posted:

Also, the cinematography on Organized Crime is insane. I haven't watched a lot of episodes, but it seems a lot more serialized than any other procedural, which is interesting. The beginning voiceover sucks though.

In fairness, Steven Zirnkilton is literally 33 years older than he was when he recorded the original L&O narration.

Also, that was a wild night of finales.

L&O: McCoy gets to go on another crusade against gun manufacturers.
SVU: Muncy, we hardly knew ye. :(
OC: Whelan, no!

Also, re-watching the episodes this morning, looks like they put in opportunities for Rollins to come back on both SVU and OC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Spoilers for the latest episode of Law & Order: No Subtitle, McCoy's daughter is a bad daughter and bad lawyer to the point of potentially ineffective assistance of counsel. Doesn't she have a legal obligation to bring that offer at the end to the defendant or if he's far too loopy to decide for himself at least his wife? Her whole "I know what they are interested in" was gross, way to make the entire trial about you and not only try and lean on your daddy ( who has a massive legacy built of public service ) to break ethical code, but to get mad at him for turning you down. At least by the end she seemed to be crying because she realized she was in the wrong, was bad and should feel bad.