Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Spent way too much money on the Hotline Miami 1+2 OST collection; send help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

They’re kinda like a Rough Trade. I’ve never heard anything bad about their exclusives or anything.

Their colored exclusives are often ten bucks more than the regular versions of those and from experience I can tell you that quality control varies wildly. And that store tends to overprice their records to begin with. What I will say about them is that their clearance bin often has good poo poo in there and sometimes at rock bottom prices. A lot of long forgotten RSD stuff ends up getting shuffled into those bins for under ten bucks. Anyway after enough bad experiences I don't buy any of their exclusives anymore.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Yeah the trick with Newbury is to wait until their stuff goes on sale. You can get "exclusive" presses for cheap.

https://www.newburycomics.com/collections/newbury-exclusives-1499-and-under

E: good stuff there includes Neko Case, Destroyer, Thou, Doomriders, Xiu Xiu, Mavis Staples, Nails, John Carpenter, Portrayal of Guilt, Converge

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 16, 2023

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yeah the trick with Newbury is to wait until their stuff goes on sale. You can get "exclusive" presses for cheap.

E: good stuff there includes Neko Case, Destroyer, Thou, Doomriders, Xiu Xiu, Mavis Staples, Nails, John Carpenter, Portrayal of Guilt, Converge

Nice thanks for the heads up, grabbed that album by The Anniversary.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

William Tyler and Kieran Hebden (Four Tet) announced a collaboration 12" coming out in June and released the first track today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCzXEUu_dc

It's a remix of Gloria Loring's Darkness Darkness which itself was a cover (I think?) of The Youngbloods in the late 60s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRKv-3_bfVo

Up for preorder here:
https://psychichotline.bandcamp.com/album/darkness-darkness-no-services

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hot Diggity! posted:

Hell yeah, grabbed a copy of Lost Themes 3 for $22 with shipping.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Lol the vinyl splatter makes Jamie look like ODB

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

We love records, we do

I'm glad you love records because you have won the Bob Dylan Springtime in New York!

I'm still going through those basement 45's. Here is round two of the stuff that is salvageable with just as many that are trash.

I really love the old 7" labels.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

sporklift posted:

I'm glad you love records because you have won the Bob Dylan Springtime in New York!

I'm all worn out and cannot jump a third time! Really looking forward to actually listening to this, I had the Vault release in my possession for a hot minute but sold it. I wanted to hear it, but not $65 want.

Thank you!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

I'm all worn out and cannot jump a third time! Really looking forward to actually listening to this, I had the Vault release in my possession for a hot minute but sold it. I wanted to hear it, but not $65 want.

Thank you!

The Vault release is actually different songs which was kinda lame because it was the only way to get the "complete" set.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
This poo poo's getting really out of hand [one day haul]

And yes, that is the only acceptable / one "true" variant of Abacab's cover. :smug:

I, Butthole posted:

man the LCD Soundsystem "final" show boxset sounds so good and is v v v pretty, but gently caress as the owner of a single turntable I hate that it's A/C B/D E/H F/I G/J or coupled or whatever they call it, but given that I've somehow lost my blu-ray copy of the concert I'm just happy to have a version again

I have to take them all out of the box at the same time this is the most annoying poo poo ever jfc

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat, Yes Album and "I'm Your Man", along with the rest that's quite a score

I need to start building out my Leonard Cohen, I only have Old Ideas and that's like my least favorite of his modern output

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

drat, Yes Album and "I'm Your Man", along with the rest that's quite a score

I need to start building out my Leonard Cohen, I only have Old Ideas and that's like my least favorite of his modern output

love and hate
love and hate
love and hATE
LOVE AND HATE

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

So many good albums in that haul. Nicely done.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Small lunch time haul.

Was a little late on a lot of old Priest and Sabbath used that came in last week. Hopefully the stuff next week is good. They had a copy of George Harrisons "All Things Must Pass" but it was unsurprisingly snatched up the day they posted it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nightmare Cinema posted:

This poo poo's getting really out of hand [one day haul]

And yes, that is the only acceptable / one "true" variant of Abacab's cover. :smug:

I have to take them all out of the box at the same time this is the most annoying poo poo ever jfc

Hey that one on the top left is a real good choice.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

tried preordering the newly-announced blur record last night, since the special edition has a 7" of bonus tracks, and the website loving stalls out when checking out

it also appears to be eating poo poo when you try to create an account.

the first single from it is real nice tho

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Small lunch time haul.

Was a little late on a lot of old Priest and Sabbath used that came in last week. Hopefully the stuff next week is good. They had a copy of George Harrisons "All Things Must Pass" but it was unsurprisingly snatched up the day they posted it.

:hmmyes: under a funeral moon

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hexwren posted:

tried preordering the newly-announced blur record last night, since the special edition has a 7" of bonus tracks, and the website loving stalls out when checking out

it also appears to be eating poo poo when you try to create an account.

the first single from it is real nice tho

Yeah I jumped on that bastard right away. I don't get why the newer Blur albums are apparently printed in batches of 10

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what browser did you use

I'll have to try again tonight, if it isn't already sold out

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ok side A of this Flock of Seagulls record is legit good. I mainly bought for Space Age Love Song but wow, good stuff here.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hexwren posted:

what browser did you use

I'll have to try again tonight, if it isn't already sold out

Firefox, it went right through for me. I was using the US store though so maybe that made a difference?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i was on the us store as well, or at least i thought i was. i was on chrome.

i will extremely be displeased if i miss out on this because of Computer (and working nights)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Vintersorg posted:

Ok side A of this Flock of Seagulls record is legit good. I mainly bought for Space Age Love Song but wow, good stuff here.

I love that feeling. :allears: Off the top of my head, I bought that Was (Not Was) album for "Walk the Dinosaur", but now I just like the whole thing.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

hexwren posted:

i will extremely be displeased if i miss out on this because of Computer (and working nights)

Order went through fine on my phone via Safari. I was able to create an account as well.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hexwren posted:

It's a super early pre-order so I would hope they're holding out to press until a little later (so I'm rooting for you)

Read After Burning posted:

I love that feeling. :allears: Off the top of my head, I bought that Was (Not Was) album for "Walk the Dinosaur", but now I just like the whole thing.

This and just picking random things for $4 because I like the cover. "Something with a cool cover released in the late 80s or early 90s" is how I discovered Skunk, Hugo Largo, and Hetch Hetchy just throwing random poo poo onto discogs orders.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

It's a super early pre-order so I would hope they're holding out to press until a little later (so I'm rooting for you)

This and just picking random things for $4 because I like the cover. "Something with a cool cover released in the late 80s or early 90s" is how I discovered Skunk, Hugo Largo, and Hetch Hetchy just throwing random poo poo onto discogs orders.

It's less than 3 months away. Surely they've got inventory numbers locked in.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Read After Burning posted:

the best w(nw) record is are you ok? but they're all very good

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

IG-88 posted:

It's less than 3 months away. Surely they've got inventory numbers locked in.

Maybe so.. I don't really know the logistics for big label releases but I'd also assume the benefit of a large pre-order window is that once you've got the master plate ready to go you can eyeball the demand and just crank some out ahead of the date... at least for something like the special colors

I know I could go from audio to mastering to pressing in around the same time as an indie artist and that's starting from nothing

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Maybe so.. I don't really know the logistics for big label releases but I'd also assume the benefit of a large pre-order window is that once you've got the master plate ready to go you can eyeball the demand and just crank some out ahead of the date... at least for something like the special colors

I know I could go from audio to mastering to pressing in around the same time as an indie artist and that's starting from nothing

Well then you know more than me lol

I thought you needed more time with the way plants were backed up. Maybe that changed?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

IG-88 posted:

Well then you know more than me lol

I thought you needed more time with the way plants were backed up. Maybe that changed?

I think it's more about getting the master done and then "can you cut the line" and I imagine a huge band/label can do both pretty easily. For the indies yeah, you're probably looking at a 3-4 month lead time at the least but also once the plant has your master it's nothing to say "gonna need more of that"

this is in my limited research in the US at least...

and going by the cracker island gently caress up (the supplier got the exclusive colors mixed up and then the Warner shop had to re-ship the exclusive colors) they got that re-pressed and shipped within 2 months

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Not a single bit of merch at tonight's Dan Deacon show. I need that Well Groomed soundtrack vinyl. :argh:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Hey that one on the top left is a real good choice.

If There Is Something is one of my favorite songs by any group at any time.

Yes Album, of course, is awesome. Every song on it is really good. If anyone out there was looking to start with Yes, or with prog music, this is the album.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Vintersorg posted:

They had some interesting things, but they definitely dropped off hard. Like Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You) is a fantastic song. But then their guitarist left, and you get dreck like She's Got It which is one of the worst songs ever.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

my long national nightmare of not buying yet another album with damon albarn on it is now over, firefox worked where chrome and my usual browser which I am mildly embarrassed to admit is an old firefox fork (waterfox classic) that I keep around for some plugin business that stopped working on more recent browsers and so I can put my tabs below the address bar WHERE THEY BELONG failed

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Bro...

Vintersorg posted:

The British track sequence is even better.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Found some download codes laying around.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

There was a record fair in town yesterday. Quite a few vendors and good turnout. I only checked out one vendor as they had everything I needed and quickly ran out of money.

I was stoked to finally find a copy of The Feelies 'only life'. It closes out with a solid cover of the Velvet Underground's 'What Goes On'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OBPa9viyKs

Arbor Labor Union - Yonder. They sound like they spent too much time listening to the Meat Puppets (not possible).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0o3NHgwsus

They also threw in the flag decal decal for free.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I know none of this is vintage stuff, but here's today's haul (starting upper left and going clockwise):

-Best of Stevie Nicks
-Ministry - Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs
-MGMT - Spectacular
-TRON Soundtrack by Daft Punk

edit: goddamn the MGMT album loving slaps

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

If There Is Something is one of my favorite songs by any group at any time.

Yes Album, of course, is awesome. Every song on it is really good. If anyone out there was looking to start with Yes, or with prog music, this is the album.

Roxy Music is hands down one of the best debut albums I've ever heard.

haljordan posted:

I know none of this is vintage stuff, but here's today's haul (starting upper left and going clockwise):

-Best of Stevie Nicks
-Ministry - Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs
-MGMT - Spectacular
-TRON Soundtrack by Daft Punk

edit: goddamn the MGMT album loving slaps

Have you heard an original pressing of Oracular Spectacular? The first two albums have these hype stickers bragging about the remasters and I've always wondered if they're any better. It seems weird to me that a couple albums of their vintage would be remastered so soon (yes, I know when they came out but the reissues followed only a couple years after their initial releases). On a related note, I was in a Newbury Comics a few months back and overheard some teenagers talking about "discovering" MGMT so I'm officially a mummy.