Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malah
May 18, 2015

:rubby:

it's loving over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Runa posted:

I actually was interested in the PvE lmao

yeah I thought it was the only thing that had even a sliver of a chance of making OW relevant again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"nobody even cares about the PvE campaign mode" (cancels mode)

every single casual and character fan who was holding out hope is now typing...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

widespread posted:

The reason why they didnt - assuming you mean Black Ops 4 - was because they were trying to cram in four god drat modes (Campaign/MP/Zombos/BR).

Thing is, the difference between OW's hypothetical campaign and CoD's campaign is that one has all this setup and lore bits that it could at the very least be a Netflix show if they wanted.

The other is CoD.

People keep saying this but it has never come true. All you have are cinematics. CoD games actually have campaigns with interesting lore and setup.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The REAL Goobusters posted:

People keep saying this but it has never come true. All you have are cinematics. CoD games actually have campaigns with interesting lore and setup.

OW has almost no good writing. The only "story" element they've ever had going for them is likable characters.

Valve had more story quality in a single "Meet the" video than the Blizz team has managed in a decade of OW

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I meant like people don't buy cod to play the campaigns

and I think ran into my first hacker? maybe? a widow with sus looking rapid headshots.

A huge of players buy games like Halo and CoD specifically for the SP Campaign and co-op and never touch competitive multiplayer modes at all. It's definitely bad for Overwatch that, for whatever reason, they couldn't make a product they felt had a chance of capturing that market.

PantsBandit posted:

OW has almost no good writing. The only "story" element they've ever had going for them is likable characters.

Also this. The cinematics are well-shot and the characters in-game can be fun but the comics and short stories they've put out have been very, very dull.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Runa posted:

"nobody even cares about the PvE campaign mode" (cancels mode)

every single casual and character fan who was holding out hope is now typing...

#1 trending on Twitter baby!

PantsBandit posted:

What writing? They retconed everything that wasn't Overwatch is going to reunite. Casuals about to leave in droves

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know I mentioned this elsewhere, but there's actually a large but quietly passionate contingent of CoD fans who play for the campaigns. There's even fans of the characters. They're a different kind of fan from the sort of person who only cares about getting their sweat out for Warzone but they exist, they still spend money, and they stay engaged for as long if not moreso.

Just because they're not aggressively targeted for monetization by people trying to please shareholders doesn't mean they don't exist, and in fact the people who don't believe they exist are falling into the same short-sighted fallacies the suits are.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Runa posted:

I know I mentioned this elsewhere, but there's actually a large but quietly passionate contingent of CoD fans who play for the campaigns. There's even fans of the characters. They're a different kind of fan from the sort of person who only cares about getting their sweat out for Warzone but they exist, they still spend money, and they stay engaged for as long if not moreso.

I mean

I can think of a real big reason to like this character.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
What a pile of trash.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

oh wow the ow2 thread just exploded there must be a major announcement, maybe pve mode finally has a date

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Lots of sour grapes coming from inside the thread lol.

A big reason why people clung onto the OW 1->2 transition in the first place was for the expected PvE content and that PvP was just to bide players' time until then.

Considering this is the same company behind Diablo Immortal, Warcraft 3 Reforged, one of the industry's most exploitative battle passes and in-game shops in the form of OW2 (a Trojan horse as another poster aptly commented), etc it's hard for me to imagine how anyone still has any trust or faith in what Blizzard does anymore besides being a cynical and soulless cash grab con artist.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

CoD games actually have campaigns with interesting lore and setup.

Uhhhh

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Lots of sour grapes coming from inside the thread lol.

A big reason why people clung onto the OW 1->2 transition in the first place was for the expected PvE content and that PvP was just to bide players' time until then.

Considering this is the same company behind Diablo Immortal, Warcraft 3 Reforged, one of the industry's most exploitative battle passes and in-game shops in the form of OW2 (a Trojan horse as another poster aptly commented), etc it's hard for me to imagine how anyone still has any trust or faith in what Blizzard does anymore besides being a cynical and soulless cash grab con artist.

I just looked at it as this is literal self preservation for OW2 but I guess being bought by Mircosoft eliminates that part of the equation

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Pretty sure once Kaplan left there was no intention on really finishing PvE and everyone just lied a bunch.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Unrelated, but this gave me a laugh:

https://twitter.com/itssomjuu/status/1655637524138676224?s=46&t=LvaT5GVUZKFksggmshp1vg

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

imagine dungeons posted:

Pretty sure once Kaplan left there was no intention on really finishing PvE and everyone just lied a bunch.

They didn't make ANY content for like 2 years supposedly for this.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I was a casual OW player and was kind of waiting to see what PvE was going to be like, after the whole SA culture thing at Blizzard. Guess I just won't reinstall it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Wheeee posted:

oh wow the ow2 thread just exploded there must be a major announcement, maybe pve mode finally has a date

pve mode will be integral to Overwatch 3

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Bring back heroes of the storm

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I'm not that pressed about the cancelation of PvE because I never believed it was actually going to be good, but that doesn't make it any less lovely that it's gone and I don't blame the people who were looking forward to it for being pissed. For the most part I like the gameplay of OW2 more than the original but more and more that seems like a happy accident rather than an indication of competency, the way they've run this IP into the ground.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

slapping this in here

https://twitch.tv/videos/1821513814

starting 42m in, watch the chat replay lmao

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Wheeee posted:

slapping this in here

I'm having trouble not staring at the insane filter on that first guy's camera

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Wheeee posted:

slapping this in here

Or if you want the immediate reaction as the dude's saying it, skip to 44m50s-ish.

It's kinda fun seeing the chat speed up as the announcement hit tbh

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

PantsBandit posted:

I'm having trouble not staring at the insane filter on that first guy's camera

He's got some kind of perma-airbrush thing going on. A light yassification.

PvE in OW2 was the only thing that would have got me playing it again but even then it would probably only be for a few hours. Burned myself out on OW1 back in the day and OW2 didn't offer nearly enough to make the game feel new again, PvE would at least have been a novel experience but I can see why they wouldn't want to invest a bunch of time and money in it at this point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

widespread posted:

The reason why they didnt - assuming you mean Black Ops 4 - was because they were trying to cram in four god drat modes (Campaign/MP/Zombos/BR).

Thing is, the difference between OW's hypothetical campaign and CoD's campaign is that one has all this setup and lore bits that it could at the very least be a Netflix show if they wanted.

The other is CoD.

the overwatch lore:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Endorph posted:

the overwatch lore:

Oi, that's gonna look mint compared to the lore we might get in Season 5 and beyond.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

following his dismissal from overwatch over allegations of sexual abuse, mccree changed his name to cassidy in an attempt to begin a new life unburdened by his past

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like tf2 has a half-finished co-op mode that hasnt been updated in ages that consists entirely of a few waves of enemies that are the same every time and there are people who have been playing exclusively that mode for a decade now, there are people with thousands of hours in it

a pve mode in this game would have absolutely been absurdly popular

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

It’s pretty sweet that the only story content we’ll have gotten out of this game in its entire history is the one blackwatch mission where Reaper is supposed to arrest a guy but then shrugs and shotguns him in the face. That’s the Overwatch I love.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Yeah, but why waste resources developing PvE when you can just color swap default skins and people buy them up at $20 each?

I'm annoyed with Blizzard for a lot of their poor development choices and non-functional matchmaking and a bunch of other poo poo... but I really wish people didn't give them money for their low effort poo poo. Blizzard has learned that they don't actually need to create good games anymore - they can just print money using zero effort cash grab tactics.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

tf2 has more character than ow ever will

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l62OY19rZ7k

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wheeee posted:

tf2 has more character than ow ever will

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l62OY19rZ7k
it also unironically has more lore and story progression despite the two sides consisting of the same 9 guys twice and this never really being explained

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

porfiria posted:

Bring back heroes of the storm

game ruled

only MOBA i could play with casual gaming friends

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

it also unironically has more lore and story progression despite the two sides consisting of the same 9 guys twice and this never really being explained

i've said it a bunch already in this thread but it's truly one of the most unbelievable bunglings of a miraculously popular IPs i can recall

blizzard got the goose that laid the golden egg and tried to keep it alive on a diet of pure sawdust

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Endorph posted:

Didn't the TFC mercs also step in to be the new bad guy for a point?

So technically, it'd be the same 9 guys four times.

Elder God Tier Lore for a reason, folks.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

pretty sure tf2 still retains more active players than ow2 as well

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

widespread posted:

Didn't the TFC mercs also step in to be the new bad guy for a point?

So technically, it'd be the same 9 guys four times.

Elder God Tier Lore for a reason, folks.

hey, tfc demoman is white

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So one or both of two things must be true:

1) The devs are incompetent gently caress-ups.
2) The big bosses want to pull more money out of the game by cutting production and relying more on low-effort micro transactions.

I'm probably leaning towards both, seeing how the first 4 seasons went. This might be one of the biggest squanders in gaming history, but if any part of 2 is true, it won't even be hailed as such. It's a loss all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Vermain posted:

i've said it a bunch already in this thread but it's truly one of the most unbelievable bunglings of a miraculously popular IPs i can recall

blizzard got the goose that laid the golden egg and tried to keep it alive on a diet of pure sawdust

The story of Overwatch to date is: "Overwatch is reuniting to fight someone. Maybe Talon, whose goals are ??? Also maybe the Omnics, whose goals are ???"