Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Crabgrass takes place in the late 80s so Miles stands to inherit a middle class suburban family home in about 40 years. He’ll be a millionaire no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

amigolupus posted:

It's a very minor gripe, but I don't like how Foob spells stupid as 'stoopid'.

The mom seeing her daughter get frustrated with a faulty machine and blaming it on "hormones" is rather lovely, though.

Ellie gets just as frustrated at completely random poo poo, too! Pot, meet kettle.

I've also noticed that kids' dialogue in Foob tends to be written in a way that implies they use poor grammar, 'stoopid', 'hafta' etc, while adults' dialogue is written "properly"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ting Jeg Gjorde (Things I Did) by Maren Uthaug:

Kristi Himmelfart is the norwegian name for Ascension Day. It is also called the Heavenly Bounce. Now, "fart" in norwegian does not mean what it means in english (we are not celebrating the Heavenly Flatulence) but to travel, that Christ traveled back to heaven.
Although I think that it's fair to say that we don't celebrate it but are still glad to get a day off from work.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Alhazred posted:

Ting Jeg Gjorde (Things I Did) by Maren Uthaug:

Kristi Himmelfart is the norwegian name for Ascension Day. It is also called the Heavenly Bounce. Now, "fart" in norwegian does not mean what it means in english (we are not celebrating the Heavenly Flatulence) but to travel, that Christ traveled back to heaven.
Although I think that it's fair to say that we don't celebrate it but are still glad to get a day off from work.

We got a promotional calendar from a German company a few years ago, and my wife drew no end of delight from Christi Himmelfahrt.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm kind of impressed at the speed with which Imgur started circling the drain once zero hour arrived. These uploads took like fifteen seconds each.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Recent Foobchat has made me hyper-aware of the "hafta".

Slylock Fox

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Powered Descent posted:

I'm kind of impressed at the speed with which Imgur started circling the drain once zero hour arrived. These uploads took like fifteen seconds each.

Well hell, why should Elon have all the fun?

And speaking of service enshittification (tm Cory Doctrow), does anyone know if there's a new version of the incredibly old image host thread? The one that I bookmarked...

(double checks the bookmarked post)

...oh god, almost two decades ago. Christ, my life...

Anyway, serious request getting more serious all of the time. Back to comics.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (June 12, 1935)

Peanuts (May 18, 1976)

Crankshaft

You'd it be more economical for Ed to run the kid home in his car, but yeah, comedy.

Mutt and Jeff, in which a fashion choice leads to some cross words.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, with a reminder that Wimpy has more than one type of hunger. (December 15, 1939)

Olive & Popeye, with a special guest star: the instinct to not read the comments under the strip.

Out Our Way (October 23-25, 1941)

One of our front-page headlines reminds us that Pearl Harbor didn't just happen out of nowhere.

Right there on the front page, no surprises, posted:

WASHINGTON, Oct. 24 (UP). -- Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox said today that he does not believe Japan intends to abandon its expansionist program and that this program will lead to a "collision" with the United States.

Knox's opinion was expressed to a group of 14 ordinance manufacturers and officers of seven naval establishments who gathered to receive "E" pennants.

"The situation out in the Far East is extremely strained," Knox said.

"We are satisfied in our own minds that the Japanese have no intentions for giving up their plans for this expansion. If they pursue that course a collision is inevitable."

One of the three routes for Americans to supply the Soviets arms against the Nazis was a Pacific route to Vladivostok, which the Asian war complicated. A month and some change away from That Date, but it makes you think about certain factors, doesn't it.

(Discord alt post for everything above. Crankshaft is segregated into the hall-of-shame folder, but CW: we're still monitoring 9CL in there, so don't say I didn't warn you.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 16, 2023

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Puppet Master

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Olive & Popeye, with a special guest star: the instinct to not read the comments under the strip.

The comments section is surprisingly positive and tame!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 10-11, 1993)

help i'm in this image and i don't like it

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

amigolupus posted:

It's minor, but it's also so persistent over the course of the strip that I've grown to hate it. It's pretty much just thrown in to make the kids sound more stuoopid and whiny - I don't think I've ever seen it used outside the "look at these idiot children, improperly acting like children and not adults" strips.

Cowslips Warren posted:

also i guaran loving tee FOOB Mom has had similar issues with the sewing machine. probably a strip somewhere where she is in her daughter's place with the same dumb expression.
Yes, but mom knows how to deal with the issues now, so clearly her daughter should magically know all of that as well!

Over the course of my life I've known a handful of people who have trouble with teaching other people anything because they just cannot step out of the "well I know how to do this, and it's easy" mindset. I have zero patience for that poo poo now - at that point, just admit that you're not actually interested in teaching/demonstrating anything.

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

EasyEW posted:

One of our front-page headlines reminds us that Pearl Harbor didn't just happen out of nowhere.

One of the three routes for Americans to supply the Soviets arms against the Nazis was a Pacific route to Vladivostok, which the Asian war complicated. A month and some change away from That Date, but it makes you think about certain factors, doesn't it.

(Discord alt post for everything above. Crankshaft is segregated into the hall-of-shame folder, but CW: we're still monitoring 9CL in there, so don't say I didn't warn you.)

That's not entirely fair. At that point the far more likely action from a US perspective was a Japanese invasion of Thailand (a minor player already beaten back by Vichy Indochina) and thinly-defended British Malaya (the imperial power being otherwise preoccupied), to which the US may have responded with yet more aid to China and to British possessions, rather than war (much less total war). That headline (and Japanese domestic press coverage of the secretary's remarks at the time) are extrapolating heavily from 'collision' in a very media! way. The US is at this point not going to war to defend the British in Britain. Why would it go to war to defend the British in Malaya? There's a wide panoply of actions short of war.

In the event both occurred on the same day as Pearl Harbor, of course. But plenty of observers have highlighted the degree of Japanese decision dysfunction for this to have been so decided.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
lol, even the front page of imgur doesn't load anything when I have my VPN on. I can't even see the images in my own library.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

You'd it be more economical for Ed to run the kid home in his car, but yeah, comedy.

I don't think Batiuk realizes that the way he draws Ed being so pissed off at having to help a poor, lonely kid (who didn't get picked up by either parents, to boot) to get back home only makes him come across as a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

davidspackage posted:

lol, even the front page of imgur doesn't load anything when I have my VPN on. I can't even see the images in my own library.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "19 - Jucika at the Beach"

"Napola = Sunblock, ilyen barna lesz = Your tan will be this brown"

"20 - Jucika and the Novelty"

"pogácsasajt = Pogácsa Cheese, (kvargli) ismet kapható = (Olomouc Cheese) is also available." Looking it up it Jucika bought the olomouc which is known for its odor.

Haifisch posted:

Legends in the Heights

OK this one really made it stand out that the strip is somehow stalling and spinning its wheels literally in the middle of finally getting the magical creature city payoff. Come on Legends!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I never noticed before that Elaine Winters caused a stir with the mini-skirt.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

ronya posted:

That's not entirely fair. At that point the far more likely action from a US perspective was a Japanese invasion of Thailand (a minor player already beaten back by Vichy Indochina) and thinly-defended British Malaya (the imperial power being otherwise preoccupied), to which the US may have responded with yet more aid to China and to British possessions, rather than war (much less total war). That headline (and Japanese domestic press coverage of the secretary's remarks at the time) are extrapolating heavily from 'collision' in a very media! way. The US is at this point not going to war to defend the British in Britain. Why would it go to war to defend the British in Malaya? There's a wide panoply of actions short of war.

In the event both occurred on the same day as Pearl Harbor, of course. But plenty of observers have highlighted the degree of Japanese decision dysfunction for this to have been so decided.

Yeah, understandable. The biggest flaw here (that is, on my end) is that I'm sticking to what a 1941 newspaper editor would put on the front page. But that was one of three routes Hull laid out for American arms to reach Russia, and a few weeks before Hideki Tojo had told Washington that the Japanese would intercept any attempts to ship to Vladivostok on the Pacific route. What I was assuming up the page was how some rando with a newspaper subscription would define "intercept" if the war was already living in their head rent-free.

Of the other two likely choices Hull laid out, one would've been sending supplies through Iran (which was a 12,000 mile sea trip, presumably across an Atlantic that the Nazis were hanging out in), but the one he seemed most hopeful about was the one they ended up doing: sailing from Boston to Archangel (Arkhanhelsk) through the ice fields of the Arctic Ocean. You could write a book about the results. (Full disclosure: definitely not a book I have read yet, but I'm a old geezer, so there's a good possibility I'll get to it.)

A hell of a conversation to spin out of boyzendorgs, isn't it?

davidspackage posted:

The latest report is it's stopped being a random thing and imgur appears to be flat-out blocking all the VPNs (except for the one that's bundled with Google One). That's gotta be awkward in certain regions.

Also, this:
https://twitter.com/imgur/status/1658206795951661057?s=20

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

are... are you using my own edits against me? :ohdear:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Bardiche Hotel

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

manero posted:

Ellie gets just as frustrated at completely random poo poo, too! Pot, meet kettle.

I've also noticed that kids' dialogue in Foob tends to be written in a way that implies they use poor grammar, 'stoopid', 'hafta' etc, while adults' dialogue is written "properly"

FOOB is such a weird strip because it's about kids and families but written by someone who hates kids and doesn't understand why they can't just be adults already.

Will Henry has specified that one of his goals with Wallace is to make sure there are some parents on the comics page that actually like being parents, and I can't help but feel this was what he was referring to.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

manero
Jan 30, 2006

davidspackage posted:

are... are you using my own edits against me? :ohdear:

you got me... I didn't even realize it was an edit!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fun With Entrails

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

The latest report is it's stopped being a random thing and imgur appears to be flat-out blocking all the VPNs (except for the one that's bundled with Google One). That's gotta be awkward in certain regions.

Just wanna say, I've had no issue with the images appearing in the last week, but since I started using Mullvad VPN I have been completely unable to upload to Imgur, even with my account logged in. They're just poo poo about VPN on all fronts.

Safety Dance posted:

I never noticed before that Elaine Winters caused a stir with the mini-skirt.

I'm sure I've caught it before but it's a fun Easter Egg. I don't recall ever seeing Grandma Winters in the comic though...

(Speaking of, I did not catch the "outlaw" thing in the latest Kit + The Wolf)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/23-25/41

I hope Pat the Girl Truck Driver was driving by and saw this all happen so she can save Scarlet.
:catstare:

F Minus

Mark Trail

If this story ends in a mauling I'll completely change my mind about Jules. (It's not going to happen.)

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

If this story ends in a mauling I'll completely change my mind about Jules. (It's not going to happen.)

That's a great bear. :allears:

quote:

The Phantom

"Y'ALL NEED ANYONE MURDERED AND EATEN!?"

"Uhhh, not right now."

"WAIT COME BACK"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Kit + The Wolf

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

I saw this page as being a bit like an isometric perspective video game. Have you ever tried to make a citizen’s arrest? Has one ever worked?

JethroMcB posted:

(Speaking of, I did not catch the "outlaw" thing in the latest Kit + The Wolf)

Neither did I! On the comic's webpage some people in the comments said they spotted it, but weren't telling what it was.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Not that it really needs it, but this comic had a title panel:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"Being stuck in a rut is the best! :D"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/25-27/50

Archie 5/22-24/47

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Nov 9-10, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 12-13, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Gotta show somehow that her lovely teen talks like a dumb kid, even though they would be pronounced the same so you wouldn't really be able to tell...

manero posted:

you got me... I didn't even realize it was an edit!

In fairness to you, the edit was the more believable telling of the events.

Luann

Gil Thorp

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

And if she doesn't knock the audience out with her act, she'll definitely knock Archie out after this.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

That's actually kind of horrifying!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I have never used a VPN so I have no idea what's going on. :downs:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 12-13, 1993)

This one resonated so hard with me -- I had balance issues as a kid, and I lived on top of a long, steep, and winding hill, and my only neutral space to bike in was a gravel turnaround filled with more cars than my family should have owned, soooo.... My fat goon rear end still doesn't know how to ride a bike, after consistently only ever wiping out onto gravel/onto pavement at high speeds/directly into the side of a car where I'd get yelled at for planting my teeth into the wheel-well.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m not quite as enamoured with John Allison’s stuff as many of of you, but I can’t help but love the fake Springsteen and E Street Band he’s got going here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse