Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Shageletic posted:

Uh RRR is the greatest movie of all time. I've been incredulously cackling for an hour and a half.

It's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Basic Poster posted:

Id like to see the greatest movie of all time, but I can’t sort out what RRR is

Per OP, it's the greatest movie of all time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, "RRR" is the full actual title. And it owns so very, very much.

For a taste, enjoy this clip of the two leads dunking on British colonisers using the power of dance. And not to worry, later on in the movie they'll also be dunking on British colonisers using the power of incredible violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsU0CGZoV8E

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm sure it's great or whatever but every time someone tries to sell that movie with a clip it just looks even worse to me.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

veni veni veni posted:

I'm sure it's great or whatever but every time someone tries to sell that movie with a clip it just looks even worse to me.

Ha I felt the same way, but caved and watched the movie and had an absolute blast.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

veni veni veni posted:

Imagine you're a normal person and I tell you "one of the greatest action movies is Hard Boiled" and you go on Youtube and check out a scene and it's a bunch of Hong Kong guys diving around shooting pistols two-handed at each other. You would probably think I was a crazy person. You really can't watch scenes, the build up, context, and movie's continual escalation is part of the experience.

RRR is absolutely worth watching and a heck of an experience.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
RRR rules and I say that as someone that has never seen a Bollywood movie before. It's just a very very "fun" movie and despite the length it doesn't drag at all. I really appreciate how much fun it seems the leads were having and the songs were great.

Also the end when the one guy was on top of the other guys shoulders for some reason and they were running around duel wielding bolt action rifles and dropping the English soldiers was hilarious and very cool looking

Absolute recommend for me

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
My favorite part of RRR is when they're getting chased through the forest, and they've been doing the water/fire duality thing for a while but it's like they ran out of ideas cause the fire guy is lobbing flaming arrows or some similarly cool poo poo and the water guy is just kinda hanging out in a pond.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 15, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Honestly it’s why I haven’t watched it yet also. But I’m going to make an effort some time this week to sit down and watch it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I haven't watched it because a 2.5 hour action epic sounds exhausting for me, and the whole ethnonationalist propaganda aspect gives me a bad taste in mouth.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

Big problem with that clip is it's payoff without the buildup. Just two extra minutes would go a long way towards showing how the bit lands in the movie the way it does

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1598920577510608896

RRR is like watching all those movies at the same time.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

High Warlord Zog posted:

That sounds awful

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Big problem with that clip is it's payoff without the buildup. Just two extra minutes would go a long way towards showing how the bit lands in the movie the way it does

I found the nationalism pretty funny because it's just SO over the top. But I could see someone being annoyed by it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

High Warlord Zog posted:

https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1598920577510608896

Not too surprised that the people behind RRR are big Mel Gibson fans.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Apocalypto is pretty great though.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I watched a movie that Jonah Hill wrote and directed called Mid90s on HBOMax. Liked the first half quite a bit.....and then it got more serious and less fun. Surprisingly decent movie considering that I'd never heard of it....and a few of the actors were basically just amatuer skateboarders. Would have liked it far more had it not taken a dark turn (and included a weird sex scene that was shoehorned in....and was mostly unnecessary) in the second half.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Mel Gibson is a great director

mystes
May 31, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Why was it created by Kanye or something?

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

mcmagic posted:

I found the nationalism pretty funny because it's just SO over the top. But I could see someone being annoyed by it.

I figured if I let myself enjoy regular american nationalist propaganda I'll give myself this, but I don't fault anyone for finding it too gross

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just a quick thing about Apocalypto, as a fairly straightforward action/survival movie it's pretty flawless, it's got a cast with 0 white actors and also a great joke about a dude rubbing spicy stuff on his balls, just great stuff. Beyond that, it's hard to gleam whether the ending is supposed to signal that as awful as life was sitting the Maya-Toltec civilization was for a lot of people things were about to get much worse, or if it's trying to legitimize Spanish colonization as a kind of salvation; possibly death for the body but a saving of the soul.

All I know is a guy I knew who was himself Mayan and a professor of pre-Columbian American history loved the movie. He would talk about the incredible movie Apocalypto by "the white supremacist director Mel Gibson."

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

mystes posted:

Politics aside, RRR is obviously inspired by films like Braveheart. The drama is big and simple in a very old hollywood way. The violence is extreme. The British are caricatures. A hero inspires his people by standing up to brutal public torture. The tone is very similar to Gibson Desmond Doss movie where everything is incredibly G/PG rated in presentation... until it comes time to reduce human bodies to hamburger mince.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 16, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mystes posted:

The Tollywood studio that made the film is basically a what if Ben Shapiro could make films scenario. It has close ties to the ultra-nationalist ruling party, which was founded by an actual member of the nazi party that worked with Goebbels and often expressed his admiration for Hitler.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just a quick thing about Apocalypto, as a fairly straightforward action/survival movie it's pretty flawless, it's got a cast with 0 white actors and also a great joke about a dude rubbing spicy stuff on his balls, just great stuff. Beyond that, it's hard to gleam whether the ending is supposed to signal that as awful as life was sitting the Maya-Toltec civilization was for a lot of people things were about to get much worse, or if it's trying to legitimize Spanish colonization as a kind of salvation; possibly death for the body but a saving of the soul.

Given that it’s Gibson, he 100% meant it as a sign of coming salvation. The good thing about the ambiguity though is that you can (and should) still absolutely read it as “things are about to get so much worse” and there’s nothing in the scene to refute that reading.

Apocalypto is a weird movie because it’s so brutal and tough to watch at times but it’s also so competently made and genuinely interesting that I always end up watching the whole thing if I randomly come across it playing on some channel.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Apocalypto owned. Hacksaw Ridge can s my d.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Apocalypto is one my favorite movies and I had no idea that anyone was reading the ending as anything but ominous in tone. The protagonist literally turns and heads a different direction once he sees the Spanish ships and missionaries.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah that's not salvation. They're weird freaks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Regardless of Mel Gibson's personal issues I really don't see any way the intent of that ending was supposed to signify salvation.

Also yes Apocalypto is awesome.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Disposable Scud posted:

Apocalypto owned. Hacksaw Ridge can s my d.

The dramatic photograph taking montage with Barry Pepper was unintentionally hilarious.

E: confusing Hacksaw with We Were Soldiers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Turns out that most of the Hollywood folks who make all your faves are weird freaks. You just know about Mel Gibson's freakishness.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

mcmagic posted:

Turns out that most of the Hollywood folks who make all your faves are weird freaks. You just know about Mel Gibson's freakishness.

Turns out everyone you know is a weird freak. Who knew? Not you! Or me! Or anyone!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

it's hard to gleam whether the ending is supposed to signal that as awful as life was sitting the Maya-Toltec civilization was for a lot of people things were about to get much worse, or if it's trying to legitimize Spanish colonization as a kind of salvation; possibly death for the body but a saving of the soul.

It’s 1000% not salvation

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I watched a movie that Jonah Hill wrote and directed called Mid90s on HBOMax. Liked the first half quite a bit.....and then it got more serious and less fun. Surprisingly decent movie considering that I'd never heard of it....and a few of the actors were basically just amatuer skateboarders. Would have liked it far more had it not taken a dark turn (and included a weird sex scene that was shoehorned in....and was mostly unnecessary) in the second half.

agree on all counts. Its a suprisingly good movie with a pretty wrenching tonal shift. The direction was great, and the acting was great in a naturalistic way (the brother was esp good I thought). Good music, obviously.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

All I know is a guy I knew who was himself Mayan and a professor of pre-Columbian American history loved the movie. He would talk about the incredible movie Apocalypto by "the white supremacist director Mel Gibson."

Cinema Discusso > "What's Streaming?" the incredible movie Apocalypto by "the white supremacist Mel Gibson."

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

rrr is one of those movies that is just made for drinking lovely beer and cheering at the action with your friends. it's a perfect movie and I never feel the length.

the nationalistic message has a weird tint to it, and the end credits really took me aback but like... how much can you really complain as an American when every so much of Hollywood action is propaganda paid for by the US military. give me the overt stuff any day.

e. and fwiw it's not bollywood, it's tollywood. different language and region.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 17, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the Hindu nationalism is blunted somewhat by the fact it’s aligned against the British Raj. hard to come out looking worse against that kind of opposition

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Haven’t seen anyone mention it but Royal Crackers on HBO is hilarious. I have no idea how to describe it, maybe semi analogous to Kuala man?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

veni veni veni posted:

Personally I like a sick nonsensical dance sequence in my Indian movies, might just be me

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I found It kind of jarring when Tarsem Singh did it in his snow white adaptation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqVf4dMaka4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Oh Tarsem...we really ain't even gonna get a film close to as good as The Fall, are we, especially with Eiko Ishioka dead.
It's been a rocky road...