Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Aight, so Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Ageny

Also, last I checked, Prime has Farscape, which is awesome... after about sixteen episodes. But it's a very good, dumb time. They had the Matrix guys come in and co-ordinate a fight scene they shot in the pitch black, where the entire thing is just lit by them firing live flares at each other. Great show.

You might also enjoy Reacher, and Upload (not quite an action thing though). Also both on Prime.

Backing up the love for Dirk Gently’s and Farscape. DGHDA is a bit quirky, which threw a friend of mine off, but really good. I still am sad it didn’t get at least one more season but that is more about me genuinely liking the characters and feel of the show.

Farscape is one of my old school favourites. Love this show and was one of the few I watched when it came out. The first season starts a bit rough but I would say don’t skip it, aside from the one where Crichton starts with a super fake beard. Lots of action, drama and comedy. If you liked the Guardians of the Galaxy films well good news as James Gunn was also a Farscape fan. Warning: Really good show though you will hit a gut punch of a series finale that will require you stream Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars movie in order to not cry/hate me for recommending. Outstanding series from the end of the 90s/early 00s.

Do you like slightly trashy and occasionally stupid but still fun action? On Hulu there is a show called The Strain which was an FX thing. Dracula comes to modern day America and boy, do things escalate. It’s not brilliant but still a lot of trashy action fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Jury Duty? Seen it mentioned (mostly positive) in articles but can’t remember if it’s been mentioned in this thread.

It's great

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DogsInSpace! posted:

Farscape is one of my old school favourites. Love this show and was one of the few I watched when it came out. The first season starts a bit rough but I would say don’t skip it, aside from the one where Crichton starts with a super fake beard. Lots of action, drama and comedy. If you liked the Guardians of the Galaxy films well good news as James Gunn was also a Farscape fan. Warning: Really good show though you will hit a gut punch of a series finale that will require you stream Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars movie in order to not cry/hate me for recommending. Outstanding series from the end of the 90s/early 00s.

Yeah, Guardian's debt to Farscape can't be overstated. A lot of the characters map pretty directly onto the Farscape crew, and there's a similar approach to theme and tone. The entire chase sequence from the start of the second GoG film all I could think about was how it's absolutely the kind of thing that would have cropped up in the original, right down to the insane monocoloured alien fascists being bling Nebari.

Ben Browder gets a cameo in the second film as a shout out to the influence, and he's doing his amazingly atrocious Scorpius voice too. (It's bad if it's trying to be any real accent, but it's great at communicating what it's trying to communicate.)

Farscape also benefits from a) having really good SFX for its time, and b) a lot of practical FX on top of that. Visually the show's aged super loving well.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I was initially mad at you Jury Duty because the talking heads were in character and it made me worried. It works out. Good and worth watching.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

DogsInSpace! posted:

Do you like slightly trashy and occasionally stupid but still fun action? On Hulu there is a show called The Strain which was an FX thing. Dracula comes to modern day America and boy, do things escalate. It’s not brilliant but still a lot of trashy action fun.

Occasionally stupid lol
Also worst kid

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SLOSifl posted:

I was initially mad at you Jury Duty because the talking heads were in character and it made me worried. It works out. Good and worth watching.
Love it when wholesome show turns out to be good and wholesome at the end

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

HATEPOSTING posted:

Occasionally stupid lol
Also worst kid
The Strain was one of the most fun shows to read fan reactions to, while not actually watching the show. Seemed like it just bounced between absolutely bonkers and dumb as hell for its entire runtime.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Jury Duty on Freevee (lol) is loving terrific and everyone should spend an afternoon binging it.

Spoiler thoughts:

- The actors were generally great, but I thought the judge, Jeannie, Ken, Barbara, Noah, Vanessa, Todd, and Lonnie were especially excellent; I want to see Jeannie, Ken, and Todd get so many comedy roles and shout-out to Lonnie for doing so much yeoman's work as a more lowkey character
- Top five favorite gags were chair pants, soaking, influencer witness, defense animation, and the origami cranes + rub-one-out moment
- I bet Todd's actor was just loving DYING when Ronald decided to show him A Bug's Life; it's so goddamn sweet
- It's wonderful that Ronald was thinking through the case so carefully that the producers started panicking and needing to relitigate the case themselves midway through to make adjustments
- I love that Ronald just completely glazes over the "hey buddy you just won $100,000," you just know one of the producers was cursing afterward because they definitely could've saved that money hahaha

surf rock fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 14, 2023

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A question about Jury Duty:

I've gone soft in my old age and really dislike pranks on random people minding their own business. If I understand Jury Duty right, everyone is in on it except one schlub. Is the series really as "good-natured", and kind to the guy, as I've read??

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

I've gone soft in my old age and really dislike pranks on random people minding their own business. If I understand Jury Duty right, everyone is in on it except one schlub. Is the series really as "good-natured", and kind to the guy, as I've read??
I haven't watched it but the fact that a lot of the people saying positive things about it have compared it to "The Joe Schmo Show" makes me not trust their opinions

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hughmoris posted:

I went through that today. It's good-natured fun. Spoiler for the end: The last episode is based on the reveal and the dude is completely excited and enthused by all of this. All thorough the show he was a completely decent person. It might have worked differently if he was an rear end in a top hat, but they picked that one well. Also, according to the show he made genuine friendships with the actors and hung out with them even months later, so he surely didn't mind any of it. Plus, being surprised with $100.000 probably took some of the sting of betrayal away.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Hughmoris posted:

Yes, the dude is an absolute sweetheart and you never get that feeling of "yeesh this poor guy has no idea" because he's so into it

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

surf rock posted:

Jury Duty on Freevee (lol) is loving terrific and everyone should spend an afternoon binging it.

My favorite gag

Cody as a guy's name.
When the witness introduced his full name as John Cody Smith I had a very long laugh.
-

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

pumped up for school posted:

My favorite gag

Cody as a guy's name.
When the witness introduced his full name as John Cody Smith I had a very long laugh.
-

Huh? I'm genuinely at a loss here. Cody is a guy's name, isn't it?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Meatgrinder posted:

Huh? I'm genuinely at a loss here. Cody is a guy's name, isn't it?

Technically, there are women with that name. But yeah, it's overwhelmingly guys. The joke is that earlier that day a person deluded himself into believing that it's totally a girl-name.

mystes
May 31, 2006

maybe that makes more sense in context

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

mystes posted:

maybe that makes more sense in context

Most things do. Especially jokes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

cant cook creole bream posted:

Most things do. Especially jokes.

Debatable

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Hughmoris posted:

He's never really presented as a schlub. I guess it could've gone that way if he were a different person, but the way it turns out he's just kind of straight-manning his way through the hijinks around him, earnestly trying to help and also to be a good juror. A lot of it is bad things happening to other people (actors) and him responding to those situations rather than bad/stressful things happening to him; he's kind of like their confidante/buddy.

Just watch this fancam and you'll get it: https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7224134812750171435

Two more things that came to mind about the show:

- I'm sure that a big part of the casting process was making sure the person had no idea how jury service actually works, because there's a lot of technical stuff that's off (the tiny size of the potential juror pool, the investigation, the ridiculous length of the trial). On the last point, I nearly served on a murder trial recently, and that lasted three days.
- During the deliberations, I wish they'd spend more time talking about the judge's order to strike the chemical barrels from the record. Ronald is clearly ignoring that order because he's prioritizing justice over process, which is actually very interesting and arguably one of his most important moments. Maybe they did discuss it and it just wasn't articulated clearly enough or entertainingly enough to keep, but given how well he gave that rundown of the case before the 11-1 vote, I think they could've set him up for it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

surf rock posted:

- During the deliberations, I wish they'd spend more time talking about the judge's order to strike the chemical barrels from the record. Ronald is clearly ignoring that order because he's prioritizing justice over process, which is actually very interesting and arguably one of his most important moments. Maybe they did discuss it and it just wasn't articulated clearly enough or entertainingly enough to keep, but given how well he gave that rundown of the case before the 11-1 vote, I think they could've set him up for it.

Actually, Ronald made sure to not invoke the crossed out part at all. He only used the clues which were known beforehand, because he wouldn't want to end with a mistrial. But he still managed to come to the conclusion. He's just that good.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Jury Duty is fantastic. I am shocked that James Marsden is a funny guy.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Holy poo poo Season 2 of Patriot is on another level. Watching it slowly to savour it. I love how it’s just transformed into this shaggy dog story with each plot line making everything more complicated and adding all these characters going of doing their own thing. The (one take?) scene of them robbing the gun from the convenience store was incredible.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea I watched a couple episodes of Jury Duty and James Marsden playing himself is funny. The guy saying Sonic movie sucked behind his back was pretty good.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea I watched a couple episodes of Jury Duty and James Marsden playing himself is funny. The guy saying Sonic movie sucked behind his back was pretty good.

Didn't he say it to his face?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Pretty sure he told him he watched it and he liked him in it. Could be wrong though.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Baskets is a brilliant grim comedy that fills the Lodge 49 sized hole in my heart.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Pretty sure he told him he watched it and he liked him in it. Could be wrong though.

I think he said that he heard it sucked and that he had no real intention to seeing it before.
Later on he was like "I saw the movie. It was quite awesome. I had no idea Ben Schwartz was in it." While Marsdens eyes basically said. "Oh yeah. Him."

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Finished Patriot. So sad it's over, it really looks like this show got hosed over reading about it now. A year between the pilot and the first season, another year and half before the second, and then cancelled. Looks like a lot of the creators other projects have been cancelled or lasted a season or two as well which is a shame. I feel like it could have fond a real following, maybe if it just came out a few years later. Random thoughts:

-Luxembourg looked beautiful. I'm glad I didn't book a trip before I looked it up and found out it was all filmed in Prague, that explains it lol.

- I will never forget the way Terry O'Quinn delivers the lines about John being back 'smoking on the weed' lmao. Terry O'Quinn was so great and understatedly funny in this.

- I loved the reveal that (I think?) Chris Addisons character hadn't gone crazy and started counting jellyfish for no reason, he was actually counting them worried because he knew John would be swimming across soon? I can imagine how pleased the writer was with himself when he realised he could involve literal jellyfish into the plot.

- In my head I feel like John would have a happy ending. He wasn't too far gone as seen when he actually was able to have fun pretty quickly whenever he got a break. We know his dad gets caught a few years later anyway, plus it seemed to have reached a tipping point with his mum, brother, wife all turning on the dad. I don't think his dad is necessarily a monster, I think he would have soon realised he needs to let John get out if he wants to keep his family.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Annabel Pee posted:

Finished Patriot. So sad it's over, it really looks like this show got hosed over reading about it now. A year between the pilot and the first season, another year and half before the second, and then cancelled. Looks like a lot of the creators other projects have been cancelled or lasted a season or two as well which is a shame. I feel like it could have fond a real following, maybe if it just came out a few years later. Random thoughts:

-Luxembourg looked beautiful. I'm glad I didn't book a trip before I looked it up and found out it was all filmed in Prague, that explains it lol.

- I will never forget the way Terry O'Quinn delivers the lines about John being back 'smoking on the weed' lmao. Terry O'Quinn was so great and understatedly funny in this.

- I loved the reveal that (I think?) Chris Addisons character hadn't gone crazy and started counting jellyfish for no reason, he was actually counting them worried because he knew John would be swimming across soon? I can imagine how pleased the writer was with himself when he realised he could involve literal jellyfish into the plot.

- In my head I feel like John would have a happy ending. He wasn't too far gone as seen when he actually was able to have fun pretty quickly whenever he got a break. We know his dad gets caught a few years later anyway, plus it seemed to have reached a tipping point with his mum, brother, wife all turning on the dad. I don't think his dad is necessarily a monster, I think he would have soon realised he needs to let John get out if he wants to keep his family.

Excellent show that fortunately got an ending that at least has a little closure. Steve Conrad's next show, Perpetual Grace LTD (Only one season on Epix) didn't get that. I would highly recommend watching it if you liked 'Patriot' however.

I'm still holding out some hope that 'Patriot' will get another season. Hasn't been that long since it ended (five years?).....and it's developed a bit of a cult following since then. Amazon did three extra seasons of 'The Expanse' after Syfy cancelled it, because of a fan campaign. I could see them reviving their own show. Hell......Starz just made a third season of 'Party Down' after 13 years. So who knows.....maybe Epix will give Perpetual Grace a proper ending.

I'm currently rewatching Arrested Development. Such a good show. The 'on the next episode' bit at the end of most of the episodes is still unique to this show and brilliant. Combining scenes that aren't actually "on the next episode", quick wrap ups to episode storylines, or in some cases.....the introduction of semi-major storylines (i.e. Buster's hand, GOB's bastard son) going forward. Super creative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiaiIsPK-8

And I know people knock the Netflix revival.....but while the fourth season was pretty lackluster.....I thought the fifth season was much closer to season three in quality to season four.....and is worth watching through the fourth season to get to.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 21, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I finished Dragon Prince season 4 and the whole thing might have been a waste of time because I don't remember a single thing that happened. Even individual episodes aren't memorable at all. They all just kind of end in a random spot and the credits start rolling.

Haha I watched this a month or two again and completely forgot. It wasn't bad, I liked the characters and world and politics they had set up. It is paced oddly for sure.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Qmass posted:

mid way into my third watch of True Detective S1 - it's still surprising how good this is. I think it might be the best season of TV ever made.

It definitely is!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Whelp, just finished my annual rewatch of true detective s1. 🕵️‍♂️ I mean, what to say or add about it? Somebody on the subreddit did this multipart deep dive on the lore and such and it blew me mind. Things like the use of aluminum through the episodes, stuff like African folk spirituality pantheons playing a massive role, and some pretty nuts connections to pirate and French folklore and music. It's just such a grand series that ruins other TV shows hahaha.

Now on to s2, one of my favorite underrated TV seasons ever. I love how it gets hate just from how much it isn't s1, but really it's loving incredible. Occult motions under a full moon, the fact that the characters slowly realize they are already dead, their mistaken belief about the river, etc. Nik intended it to be crying lot of 49 meets s1 but it got cut up by HBO, which is a shame. Still, it's aged like fine wine 🍷. Oh and lol at the intentional casting against type and also the entire dumb sardonic riffing on how stupid Rust's aphorisms were. Also, as much as I love the music of s1 (13th floor elevators!), s2 has Lera Lynn in person just strumming away bangers in hades.

I can't wait for s4! Return of the spiral after vector and point.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol I have to admit I never even got far enough into S2 to know they were dead or if there was anything from the first that interested me left in it. Just completely failed to capture my interest at all despite liking many of the actors. I didn't even try season 3, never heard much about it.

Might have to give the first a rewatch sometime if nothing else. The others probably worth a second shot, maybe I should do those first before going back.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Egh, if it doesn't click it doesn't click ya know. Life is too short sometimes haha! I'm just grateful the show turned me on to a bunch of American culture I would have never otherwise bothered with like: blues musix, lovecraft-> Steven King, noir, delta green, American true crime as a.. topic of interest/,genre?, elesen institute, etc. It was cool to see the 'backwaters' that American mainstream media usually doesn't portray.
E: and a bunch of great bands! Black Mountain in particular drat son

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
PSA: Willow got cancelled in the Disney+/Hulu tax culling.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

Khanstant posted:

Lol I have to admit I never even got far enough into S2 to know they were dead or if there was anything from the first that interested me left in it. Just completely failed to capture my interest at all despite liking many of the actors. I didn't even try season 3, never heard much about it.

Might have to give the first a rewatch sometime if nothing else. The others probably worth a second shot, maybe I should do those first before going back.

Them being dead seems really supernatural for a non supernatural show for the most part..I stopped s2 the moment I saw vince vaugn

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We just finished True Detective S3 and thought it was really good, just super slow paced and without any levity to balance out the sad elements. Mehershala Ali was unbelievablely good in it. The meditation on obsession, memory, and regret are so well done that the case itself is almost secondary.

We also recently watched The Diplomat on Netflix and really enjoyed it. It runs pretty breathlessly from beginning to end of the season. The show does a nice job with the tension of a super smart and capable protagonist in situations she can only partially control, and throwing in the wild card of her husband who we never fully trust.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

giri / haji 2nd time is even better than I remember it. It's very good.

comfortably one of the best things netflix calls an original and certainly one of the best things the BBC has been involved in as long as I can remember

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I've been enjoying Fringe, it's a fun show especially because of John Noble's performance as Walter. I've also enjoyed seeing who the next random guest star will be, so far Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Jared Harris, a pre-duchess Meghan Markle, and in the episode I just watched last night our favorite Ginger Jedi young Cameron Monaghan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
A friend is re-watching it, apparently Chadwick Bozeman is in it as well.

The White Tulip is still one of the best sci-fi episodes. I should sit down and watch Fringe again.