Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I don't frequent bars around 8AM local time during the EPL season to see this alleged large swath of people in soccer jerseys, but not wanting to drink that early is definitely on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Finally a decent episode from this season. It's not as good as S1 but it at least has the same feel.

Best bit was Roy's press conference and his nicknames for the reporters. I could watch an entire episode of that.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
There's a lot of reasons Football is popular around the world, but a big one is that the US didn't pick it up thanks to them getting super into English Public School stories, like Tom Brown's School Days, and getting into Rugby instead.

Football is popular around the world because it's easy to understand the basics, and that means you can watch any of the games that are happening anywhere and understand what's happening.

British football is popular because there's *SO* much of it, it's the "Original", a whole lot of money can be made.

I personally cannot stand the game in any way shape or form, and I hate Ted Lasso for making me care about even a fictional team.

Also tea is awful.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

holy poo poo who loving cares about one person who didnt know the premier league was popular. shut the hell up about it already

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BooDooBoo posted:

Also tea is awful.

gently caress you.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Someone way back said that each episode feels aimless and that there's no connecting tissue between episodes or one storyline tying everything together akin to avoiding relegation in S1 or aiming for promotion in S2 and that's definitely my problem with S3.

I know you're not supposed to watch Ted Lasso for realism but it's becoming increasingly irritating that each episode has an incident that would have enormous connotations IRL - most recently Isaac storming into the stand to confront a fan, but also Sam having a Twitter beef with the actual Home Secretary - and we're lucky if it's even mentioned again, let alone that it has long-lasting consequences.

I really don't know where it's all going or what, beyond some Captain Planet-esque lesson of the week, I'm supposed to be getting out of it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Adrianics posted:

Someone way back said that each episode feels aimless and that there's no connecting tissue between episodes or one storyline tying everything together akin to avoiding relegation in S1 or aiming for promotion in S2 and that's definitely my problem with S3.

I know you're not supposed to watch Ted Lasso for realism but it's becoming increasingly irritating that each episode has an incident that would have enormous connotations IRL - most recently Isaac storming into the stand to confront a fan, but also Sam having a Twitter beef with the actual Home Secretary - and we're lucky if it's even mentioned again, let alone that it has long-lasting consequences.

I really don't know where it's all going or what, beyond some Captain Planet-esque lesson of the week, I'm supposed to be getting out of it.

Agreed; this season sucks and its a real shame a show that was so good in season one (especially at a time everyone truly needed a show about people being nice) is going to end with such a bad season. But I guess that happens to alot of comedies (just usually not so soon!)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Watch there be a twist that Ted wasn't even that good as a football coach, it was Beard doing the work and Ted was just the face and motivator for the team.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

bobjr posted:

Watch there be a twist that Ted wasn't even that good as a football coach, it was Beard doing the work and Ted was just the face and motivator for the team.

Is this a twist or just the premise of the show since the pilot?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Side note: if you like your underdog sports shows and Ted Lasso isn't hitting the spot anymore, you should absolutely check out Shoresy on Hulu.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Side note: if you like your underdog sports shows and Ted Lasso isn't hitting the spot anymore, you should absolutely check out Shoresy on Hulu.

can I watch this before letterkenny or do I have to wait until after

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
You can (and should) just jump in. Shoresy theoretically exists as a background character in Letterkenny but there's zero overlap with plot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can't believe you aren't watching Letterkenny right now.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

wolrah posted:

What I find really weird though are people who end up fans of obscure distant teams in second or third tier leagues they had no real exposure to.
I love that poo poo. I was in Sydney a few years ago and one of the locals tried to wind me up when he found out that I'm from Buckinghamshire and thats where Wycombe Wanders are from and they just got beaten by Leyton Orient. This guy had never stepped foot in the UK but avidly followed a League 2 team from East London. Stayed up into the early hours to stream matches that wouldn't even get broadcast in the UK. And what sparked his love for that club? He liked their name.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

E: Actually, who cares

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 16, 2023

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Strange does.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Shoresys unbelievable

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

stev posted:

gently caress you.

That sounds like tea-drinker talk.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

fullroundaction posted:

Is this a twist or just the premise of the show since the pilot?

Yeah the first episode has Beard reading Inverting the Pyramid, a concise history of football tactics and how they evolved out of past tactics, and what their purpose and goals were in historical context.

Meanwhile Ted still doesn't know the basic rules.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Inverting the Pyramid is one of the worst books I've ever read - it's 90% full of just paragraphs on paragraphs of "And then Wycombe beat Huddersfields on April 3rd, 1919 with goals from Jimison Rexdale and Paul Thames respectively"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah the first episode has Beard reading Inverting the Pyramid, a concise history of football tactics and how they evolved out of past tactics, and what their purpose and goals were in historical context.

Meanwhile Ted still doesn't know the basic rules.

Before some games it also sounds like he’s unaware of who they’re even playing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Adrianics posted:

This is a big part of why I was so shocked to learn how big the Premier League actually was. Everything that happens on the show feels like it's happening to a minor league ball club, the kind of team that's important to the local folks down at the pub but doesn't have much more reach than that. I don't many people would notice if someone stormed into to the stands at some minor league hotdog n beer baseball game, but yeah, it'd be national news if that happened with a major league player. Their world just seems so small! It basically recasts the series entirely when I have to go back and recognize that all these things were happening to famous and wealthy athletes on the national stage, and it makes it seem a lot more silly and oblivious.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Phenotype posted:

This is a big part of why I was so shocked to learn how big the Premier League actually was. Everything that happens on the show feels like it's happening to a minor league ball club, the kind of team that's important to the local folks down at the pub but doesn't have much more reach than that. I don't many people would notice if someone stormed into to the stands at some minor league hotdog n beer baseball game, but yeah, it'd be national news if that happened with a major league player. Their world just seems so small! It basically recasts the series entirely when I have to go back and recognize that all these things were happening to famous and wealthy athletes on the national stage, and it makes it seem a lot more silly and oblivious.

Richmond-Upon-Thames, the London suburb the show is based in, is *insanely* expensive, and all the characters own fancy houses. I guess it's not something that a non UK person would pick up.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

also all the sports cars they all drive?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Phenotype posted:

, it'd be national news if that happened with a major league player.

It was national news when Eric Cantona did it, just as it was national news when Marcus Rashford had his charity work on child poverty criticised by the Health Secretary.

Do you not notice the scenes where there is a room full of journalists asking questions, and TV spots discussing the player’s actions?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Slotducks posted:

also all the sports cars they all drive?

I meant to mention this too but not a lot of people know cars so I get it. I don't really know all the cars, I just recognize that they're expensive. Even Roy's suv is anywhere from 150 to 300 thousand usd depending on what extras it has.

https://www.imcdb.org/m10986410.html

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Me seeing the explosion of posts here in the last few days

"Oh man, did they drop an episode early?"

oh

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

radmonger posted:

It was national news when Eric Cantona did it, just as it was national news when Marcus Rashford had his charity work on child poverty criticised by the Health Secretary.

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess Phenotype probably has no idea who either of those players are (and, tbf, you probably wouldn't if you don't follow soccer at all).

I, for example, wouldn't be able to name you a single cricket player. That said, though, I am still aware that cricket is an absolutely massive game globally and rakes in billions of dollars.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The only thing that never makes sense to me is how a third of the league is in one city.

In the US, there's a fairly consistent distribution of about teams, with some variation by sport. Like in the NFL, if you're a city large enough to support a team usually means that there's about 5 to 7 million people in your general region or in a city so large that half the market is that big. The only city with more than two teams in any sport are three NHL teams in New York. Even whole states rarely have more than two teams in a given sport. If they do have more, it is because they're California, Texas, Florida, or New York. California's five MLB teams is the most in the big four in any one state.

It is so unusual to me that you'd focus that way. The NHL spent decades trying to overcome that the league was focused on four cities for the first 40 years. If New York had 10 MLB teams and the rest of the country had 20 I'm not sure it would actually be a national sport.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

It's hard to answer that without going into the whole history about what soccer was and is - in relationship to the working class, and the overall density of England in their cities vs density in America wrt sprawl.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
The US is a lot bigger than England. It takes the same amount of time to drive from one end of England to the other as it does to drive one end of Texas to the other. And most people probably aren't driving from one side of the country to the other to go to games

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Regarding the distribution of teams in the US, neither 20th century sprawl nor the size of the country has anything to do with it. When the National League formed, it stretched from Boston to St Louis. That was in 1876. The league covered most of the country (there was no major city west between St Louis and San Francisco) and predated the technological ability for sprawl. The group that would become the American League was rival covered the same geographical area, picking up some other cities. You still only saw two teams in the largest cities, between the two leagues.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sash! posted:

It is so unusual to me that you'd focus that way. The NHL spent decades trying to overcome that the league was focused on four cities for the first 40 years. If New York had 10 MLB teams and the rest of the country had 20 I'm not sure it would actually be a national sport.

Wait which four cities because they're called the original six

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

ilmucche posted:

Wait which four cities because they're called the original six

Canada is a city and it had at least a couple.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Toronto probably claims to have always been despised by the NHL from the word go.

Mostly through this episode and, eh it was a bit crap. I’m usually the one who enjoys essentially every episode but… it was a bit crap.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Wait until you find out about Australian Football where more than half the league's teams are from one state with the where all but one come from one city and most of those teams are within 5 miles of each other.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 17, 2023

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
No, Ted Lasso, you have not earned "Spiegel im Spiegel". You are not Chidi and Eleanor.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

this episode felt off, ok i guess but off. Like theyre racing to the finish line and just remembered they have to set up the season (series?) finale and need all the pieces in their place right now

2 eps in and shoresy is pretty great tho

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Okay. I legitimately laughed out loud. at "It's just that I need to buy it or else it doesn't really count." Keeley is right, that woman is super fun.
I also loved bipolar Danny scaring the poo poo out of VanDamme.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uhhhhh did Nate really leave West Ham off-screen between episodes?? What the gently caress?