Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

SlowBloke posted:

On my new 14 it's a 30% battery charge saving per day.

hello OP how did you arrive at this statistic thank you and god bless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
You can also just turn off background app refresh for everything, so you’ll still be able to use the internet on your phone in the year of our lord 2023, but it won’t be guzzling data when you’re not using it

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

SlowBloke posted:

Without this "trick", my new phone discharges to 40% in less than eight hours. I was kinda pissed at this less than five days old phone having less charge by the end of the work day than my 95% battery health XR. I mean, i could carry a bandolier of powerbanks to compensate, but it seems more hassle than a simple software toggle.

This sounds like you have a problem somewhere on your phone. I leave 5G enabled on my iPhone 13, and I get very very modest power consumption. Maybe 20-30% in eight hours, with light use (ie not using it for video calls).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

POCKET CHOMP posted:

hello OP how did you arrive at this statistic thank you and god bless

Simple comparison of battery levels when putting the phone on charge after my shift (0730-1730), same apps, same settings on both phones.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

This sounds like you have a problem somewhere on your phone. I leave 5G enabled on my iPhone 13, and I get very very modest power consumption. Maybe 20-30% in eight hours, with light use (ie not using it for video calls).

It's mostly being in my pocket but receiving teams messages and checking emails(pushing those notifications to my apple watch). Without 5G it's coming home at 75-80%, With 5G it's 55-60% on a good day.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 17, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I toggle off 5G sometimes because 5G just kinda sucks sometimes, but I don't notice a difference in battery drain. When I leave it on I use "5G Auto" instead of "5G On". Have you tried that? 5G Auto is supposed to only use 5G data if it won't result in significant battery drain, per the explanation in Settings.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I toggle off 5G sometimes because 5G just kinda sucks sometimes, but I don't notice a difference in battery drain. When I leave it on I use "5G Auto" instead of "5G On". Have you tried that? 5G Auto is supposed to only use 5G data if it won't result in significant battery drain, per the explanation in Settings.

The worse battery scenario in my last post was recorded on the default 5G auto setting, since I'm mostly on wifi there is no difference for me in throttling (if I wanted to max janitor i could disable data entirely, but that's excessive even for me). I wasn't expecting this tidbit to create such vitriol :shrug:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SlowBloke posted:

The worse battery scenario in my last post was recorded on the default 5G auto setting, since I'm mostly on wifi there is no difference for me in throttling (if I wanted to max janitor i could disable data entirely, but that's excessive even for me). I wasn't expecting this tidbit to create such vitriol :shrug:

No vitriol here. A lot of goons in this thread seem to think even opening the Settings app at all is “phone janitoring”.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
at this point I think this thread needs to bring an actual janitor in here. Let’s hear from someone with lived experience of janitoring and put this all to bed

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Leaving 5G on in theory will save battery because it means the phone can download stuff faster and put the radio back into low power mode sooner.

The exception to this might be if you're in a place with a bad signal, the phone may be trying too hard to maintain a connection. I haven't seen this myself on my 14, when I disappear into the mountains I don't really see any additional power drain. It was definitely an issue on older phones though and in those days airplane mode was a huge power saver.

If I stay on WiFi I can get about 50 hours on a charge. If I'm out on the road it's ~36.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The secret with iPhones is that it’s actually the “indexing” happening in the background for the first 3 days after setup making your battery life dogshit, and anything you change may seem to be an improvement once that finishes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
5G battery life is going to vary wildly by carrier, coverage, city or not, what country, etc.

In general, regardless of settings if you are in an area of mediocre coverage, that’s rule number one of cell battery life the phone works harder for a signal so yes more battery drain.

Carriers are also aggressively rolling out the next wave of 5G. Just like 4G 10 years ago, 4G used to murder battery life. Once they did the second round (extra towers, more backhaul, etc) it became less of a thing.

So yeah, turning off 5G will help some people but not others, so the usual YMMV.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

I know it's basic knowledge, but I wanted to remind that turning off 5G is a real battery save option. On my new 14 it's a 30% battery charge saving per day. If you don't need upload/download on the move (say you are in a wifi covered area), you will save a decent amount of charge.

I've had 5g turned off for months because I had incessant network issues. Better battery life is the icing on the cake

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
My only issue with 5G so far is there seems to be some type of latency firing up the connection. Once it gets a good connection it’s fantastic but it seems to take a few seconds to initially load up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess the 5G battery drain is only an issue with the mmWave variant? Over here in non-mmWave land, the available/usable 5G frequencies overlap pretty much 90% with the 4G ones, so I don't see how it'd make things worse.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess the 5G battery drain is only an issue with the mmWave variant? Over here in non-mmWave land, the available/usable 5G frequencies overlap pretty much 90% with the 4G ones, so I don't see how it'd make things worse.

Pretty much how I’ve felt too, the only 5G phone i’ve noticed that didn’t have great battery life was the 12 Pro. Which definitely didn’t have as good battery as the 11 Pro.

13 and 14 pros were fine and even on the 12 it wasnt bad enough for me to bother turning it off.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have a 12 pro and I didn’t notice any difference to my old XS; though it’s starting to show its age now battery wise

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The 11 Pro had amazing battery life compared to the XS. So when going from 11 Pro to 12 Pro it was noticeable. Again not bad enough affect how I used the phone but I could tell at the end of the day I had less battery.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This came out earlier but I just saw it: iOS 16.5 is out now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A new Pride wallpaper that has a neat animation but is otherwise ugly, and a Sports tab in Apple News. That’s what is in the upgrade.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

smackfu posted:

A new Pride wallpaper that has a neat animation but is otherwise ugly, and a Sports tab in Apple News. That’s what is in the upgrade.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/05/18/ios-16-5-patches-39-security-flaws-3-actively-exploited/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If there's 3 actively exploited security flaws then why wouldn't they be fixed in the Rapid Response Update as opposed to something that normies may or may not install months later?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smackfu posted:

Ok so I guess I'll still be force closing and reopening apps at a rate that rivals Android OS

Have they fixed the weather app yet? I still see posts on reddit saying it's putting out nonsense data.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

~Coxy posted:

If there's 3 actively exploited security flaws then why wouldn't they be fixed in the Rapid Response Update as opposed to something that normies may or may not install months later?

Probably to avoid issuing updates too frequently. A lot of people really hate being prompted to update anything and are more likely to ignore it the more frequently it happens.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Two of them were.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Friend accidentally got windshield wiper fluid on my phone screen and watch. Just a few drops.

..So how hosed am I? I'm thinking about making an appointment to the Apple Store on Monday since they both have Apple Care on them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are you joking

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Friend accidentally got windshield wiper fluid on my phone screen and watch. Just a few drops.

..So how hosed am I? I'm thinking about making an appointment to the Apple Store on Monday since they both have Apple Care on them.

Are you licking your phone screen or something?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

idk maybe if like the scratch-resistant coating goes away in the next week book an appointment then

but it's highly unlikely anything actually happened to damage your phone

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Disown this so called friend. Never speak to them again.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Just wipe the drat screen down with a phone screen safe alcohol wipe or something. It’s fine. It’s not like you got brake fluid or gasoline all over it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

That’s actually not covered under Apple care. Not all liquids are covered as damage and that’s one of them.

Sorry friend.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

May as well throw it in the garbage. It's totally useless now

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

May as well throw it in the garbage. It's totally useless now

Don’t listen to this troll. It will still work fine but the colors of the screen will slowly start to degrade due to the chemicals in the fluid. You won’t have any issues using it besides that though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

Just wipe the drat screen down with a phone screen safe alcohol wipe or something. It’s fine. It’s not like you got brake fluid or gasoline all over it.

That would actually be worse than the wiper fluid

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

That would actually be worse than the wiper fluid

In that it would do anything at all? Yeah, agreed.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Am I in a Twilight Zone episode?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Whatever you do don't get monitor fluid on your phone. Apple won't cover that all in any circumstances. According to the repair guidelines for AASPs you immediately stop work on it and notify the customer it's not covered.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

That’s actually not covered under Apple care. Not all liquids are covered as damage and that’s one of them.

Sorry friend.

MarcusSA posted:

Don’t listen to this troll. It will still work fine but the colors of the screen will slowly start to degrade due to the chemicals in the fluid. You won’t have any issues using it besides that though.

Awesome I guess.

It'll probably affect the trade value of it as well if that happens. He seems to think it's fine because he has a Pixel 6 Pro and uses glass cleaner wipes (not rated for electronics of any kind, I checked) on his screen all the time.

He also gets mad when it doesn't respond to his touch half the time and likes to pretend he knows chemistry.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ThermoPhysical posted:

Awesome I guess.

It'll probably affect the trade value of it as well if that happens. He seems to think it's fine because he has a Pixel 6 Pro and uses glass cleaner wipes (not rated for electronics of any kind, I checked) on his screen all the time.

He also gets mad when it doesn't respond to his touch half the time and likes to pretend he knows chemistry.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

You know everyone's loving with you, right? Both of your devices are water proof to a degree. They are fine.