Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I think it has generally been recognized that American equipment is usually somewhat superior to Russian, but it's also a lot more expensive. Like, an Abrams is about twice the price of a T-90. A country could reasonably decide that, although each T-90 is individually slightly worse than an Abrams, it's better to have twice as many tanks.

I think "individually slightly worse" is a bit of an understatement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
hahaha prigozhin nearly got blasted. he posted a video and in the middle of the video everyone scrambles for cover because Ukrainian artillery hit two houses over

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1658566623962320915
I can only say you were always going to be disappointed. China is only in it for China, not you nor anyone else. China's not going to get itself ruined alongside you. You can look forward to the results of thirty years of meddling in everyone's affairs and fomenting conflict to bite you back in the rear end at last.

It will take some time for Russians, especially russians who swallow the propaganda and nationalism to realize they're a resource colony of China now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

The burden you're placing on "slightly" here is a lot more than I think the term was designed for, frankly.

The T-90 as advertised was individually slightly worse than an Abrams.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Well, probably, and focusing just on cost is probably rather simplistic. In Kuwait's case, they also field plenty of Abrams as well as the T-90s. But, the T-90s were purchased to replace Yugoslavian M-84s, another T-72 variant, so purchasing T-90s probably allowed them to use some of the same ammunition, parts, logistics, etc. they already had in place for the M-84s. Plus, there's probably something to be said for not becoming entirely dependent on a single supplier.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

hahaha prigozhin nearly got blasted. he posted a video and in the middle of the video everyone scrambles for cover because Ukrainian artillery hit two houses over

Time to figure out how to say Worldstar in Ukrainian

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deki posted:

Why the gently caress was Kuwait going to buy Russian gear?

They had a front row seat to watch the US utterly clown on Russian export gear back in the Gulf war when they were being invaded.

Enormous kickbacks to the procurement team, op.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wouldn't there be more money to work with buying american

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1658727784338845696
Spokesman for the Air Force appears to confirm that the Patriot battery is fine.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom
How likely is it that Ukraine took the Bakhmut flanks primarily in order to simplify evacuation?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Storkrasch posted:

How likely is it that Ukraine took the Bakhmut flanks primarily in order to simplify evacuation?

The gains along the flanks were gains of opportunity done by whoever was already fighting in and around the embattled city. It happened mainly because they were so severely weakened by the non-stop fighting. It appears though, that the Ukrainian forces are preparing to withdraw from the city while continuing their operation to flank it on both sides.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
I'd like to know if the primary goal is to worsen the situation around Bakhmut for Russia, forcing it to bring in reserves from other, more important fronts thus opening them up for offensive operations there

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1658727784338845696
Spokesman for the Air Force appears to confirm that the Patriot battery is fine.

there was some damage according to US officials

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1658599129780502530

artillery ammo issues on UA side persist. while RU side has some ammo issues too, it's still far better than on UA side

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1658730697064947712

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1658732098683797506

I wonder whether Pingu does 'nook nook' noises on Russian TV instead of 'noot noot'

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1658737151326969860

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Somaen posted:

I'd like to know if the primary goal is to worsen the situation around Bakhmut for Russia, forcing it to bring in reserves from other, more important fronts thus opening them up for offensive operations there

Some days ago, they did try to bring in reinforcements to complete the capture of the city before may 9th. Unfortunately, their locations were spotted, and most of the troops, equipment, and supplies that were brought in were subsequently swept away by a mass HIMARS strike.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

wouldn't there be more money to work with buying american

The US probably has at least some sort of anti-corruption measures in place while with russia it's "yes please"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

true

the trump years are over

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Even if that Patriot battery got got, the amount of infrastructure it saved by just being a missile magnet is huge. It did it's job either way. And the US can really easily just send more of them, especially now that they've proven their worth.

Also, a patriot battery isn't just one thing you can blow up with a single missile, it is a bunch of launchers, a radar, and a command vehicle that are dispersed over a wide area. If one launcher got taken out, that's fine, the battery still works, and if the radar or command vehicle got blown up, they can just give them a replacement. A bigger loss would be if any of the guys trained to use it were injured or killed.

It is also very funny that a single Patriot battery is a huge strategic impediment to Russia, supposedly a power that could have gone toe to toe with the US.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Geisladisk posted:

It is also very funny that a single Patriot battery is a huge strategic impediment to Russia, supposedly a power that could have gone toe to toe with the US.

This is the best part, a bunch of facists just beet red in the face with anger launching everything and anything in complete rage, and the system reportedly chilling in sleep mode, occasionally swatting some trash out of the sky.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Since it looks like the patriot can shoot down kinzhal then baiting them to keep throwing poo poo at it to shoot down seems reasonable.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I think that it’s safe to say that, amongst the many reasons certain western nations are windmill slamming their domestically produced military equipment into Ukraine, there is the fact that for their defence industries this is the greatest advertisement opportunity in decades to try and get other countries interested in buying their poo poo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Obviously this has been pretty good advertising. Are Patriots currently on the list of things allowed to be sold?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not freely, but diplomatic bargaining chips are better when they’re proven to work.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1658715269361987589

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/vidtranslator/status/1658261743548891136?s=20

lmao

CIA recruiting Russians using commercials in the bleak dingy stylings they all know and love

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

'If you want Storm Shadow, give His Majestys Government a call today. Our operators are standing by and eagerly waiting to take your orders!*'

*Offer not valid to Argentina**

**Welllll, maybe if they pay double, we really need the money.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

I think that it’s safe to say that, amongst the many reasons certain western nations are windmill slamming their domestically produced military equipment into Ukraine, there is the fact that for their defence industries this is the greatest advertisement opportunity in decades to try and get other countries interested in buying their poo poo.

Also to just test this poo poo in real life strenuous situations. Up until last month nobody in the Pentagon was quite sure how Patriot would stand up to the worst Russia could throw at it. Now they know.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Also to just test this poo poo in real life strenuous situations. Up until last month nobody in the Pentagon was quite sure how Patriot would stand up to the worst Russia could throw at it. Now they know.

https://twitter.com/jebbbby/status/1658577472072429573?s=20

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rust Martialis posted:

The burden you're placing on "slightly" here is a lot more than I think the term was designed for, frankly.

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Note that many of the countries who are looking at a T-90 are probably not qualified for the good versions of the Abrams. The russians don't have nearly as much stuff that they downgrade on the export model.

So export T-90 vs export Abrams was, until recently, an interesting question. Especially if your plan for the T-90 was to put in all new non-russian (non-crap) electronics and optics, like the Indians did.

TBQH that article is kinda bogus. Russia had already stopped exporting tanks last year, to replace their losses. The other countries didn't need to cancel.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

lmao

CIA recruiting Russians using commercials in the bleak dingy stylings they all know and love

This is extremely stupid because if they wanted effective ads targeting government servants they would have done garish 10 second ads about MAKING MONEYZZZ$$ to target on webcam and gambling sites

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

What will you say when your child asks "Why didn't you invest in eastern Poland east of Poland?"

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Hersh showing his deep knowledge of EE region

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1658801471192723456

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

mercenarynuker posted:

What will you say when your child asks "Why didn't you invest in eastern Poland east of Poland?"

blast from the past

quote:

What will you say when your child asks "Why didn't you invest, eastern Poland?"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hungary: a famous enemy of Vladimir Putin and ally of Ukraine.

drat this guy is an idiot.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 17, 2023

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

mercenarynuker posted:

I mean if you think about it, it wasn't that long ago that Western Ukraine was Eastern Poland.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Randarkman posted:

I mean if you think about it, it wasn't that long ago that Western Ukraine was Eastern Poland.

Weird, what happened?!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Splendid posted:

Weird, what happened?!

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/Brzczszczkwcz/status/1658809166050340865

lmao

Tai
Mar 8, 2006