Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It always comes down to farming as a retirement job. Where are the ex-mecha pilots who become tow truck drivers or accountants or flight instructors? Something that doesn't replace soul crushing mental trauma with backbreaking manual labor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I get the vibe that it's about spending so much time burning poo poo down that you want to start growing stuff for a change. Ex-soldiers becoming doctors is another similarly common piece of thematically-resonant career change.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Because people associate farming with simplicity and the past, as opposed to mecha which are complicated and from the future.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Swords to Ploughshares has quite the history. As does to rewarding of farm able land in exchange for military service.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know there's a precedent for it but as a narrative endpoint I find it silly. Let a guy go back to his life beforehand as a news reporter or a taxi driver once in a while.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Netflix Voltron was made by people who didn't give a poo poo about either Voltron specifically or the Mecha genre in general and only took the job so they could make their crappy "ATLA meets Mass Effect" knockoff concepts that they were unable to sell as an original show so they very sloppily applied an existing cheap IP to in order to get Netflix to fund it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It would be nice if Netflix actually bothered to get writers and showrunners who gave a poo poo about the source material for their adaptations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Was Golion any good in the first place?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Gripweed posted:

No. This is why everyone was mad when Media Blasters dumped GaoGaiGar midway through to release a Golion dub.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

Golion is above par for 80s super robots up until Shirogane dies but afterwards it's mostly mid. There are plenty worse shows, though.

It's kind of wild at points for occasionally trying to pull off Disney Princess tropes but filtered through the culture of 80s Japan.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Fivemarks posted:

No. This is why everyone was mad when Media Blasters dumped GaoGaiGar midway through to release a Golion dub.

Today I learned that Future Robot Daltanious was not part of the Brave series of robots, but once again Go Lion has stolen the slot of a different robot with a lion for a chest.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Not really, aside from being one of the source materials for Voltron it's only notable for being very violent even by the standards of 80's Mecha TV anime

In Japan it's a complete footnote of a series and when it got included in Super Robot Wars W pretty much everyone was incredibly confused at it being selected, which alongside other facts about that game's roster* led to rumors that W had been planned to get a Western release but fell through for whatever reason

*basically W was more or less the first game in the series that every series on its roster had seen a release in the West in some form or another at the time of its making, indeed some like Go Lion only really made sense being included as a "Appeal to Western Tastes" selection

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

amigolupus posted:

It's a couple pages back, but the thing about Netflix Voltron made me remember that some folks in the TVIV kids' animation shows thread did some helpful posts explaining why Netflix Voltron was a bad mecha show:

Interesting reading.

drrockso20 posted:

Not really, aside from being one of the source materials for Voltron it's only notable for being very violent even by the standards of 80's Mecha TV anime

In Japan it's a complete footnote of a series and when it got included in Super Robot Wars W pretty much everyone was incredibly confused at it being selected, which alongside other facts about that game's roster* led to rumors that W had been planned to get a Western release but fell through for whatever reason

*basically W was more or less the first game in the series that every series on its roster had seen a release in the West in some form or another at the time of its making, indeed some like Go Lion only really made sense being included as a "Appeal to Western Tastes" selection

W was an interesting game for Golion because they did a couple of fun crossover bits (like making GaoGaiGar the official unofficial Sixth ranger of the team, in continuity both machines were actually related but earlier on they about how the sixth member always gets his own separate mech), but it was also a pretty thin adaptation that didn't really include all that much actual plot from Golion. I suspect part of that is from being an episodic 80s show, but Golion is possibly the second least important series in W (after Shin Getter which has no plot stuff in the game at all and was functionally and also kind of narratively a Mazinkaiser unit).

On the other hand SRW does occasionally bring in random old series out of the blue so who knows.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
SRW will frequently pull completely random shows out of its rear end for seemingly no reason. Z1 pulled Baldios and God Sigma out of mothballs and hung a significant portion of the plot on the former despite nobody in the world giving a poo poo about Baldios and having to voice recast the protagonists of both shows.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I always assumed Baldios got in because they wanted to repeat what they had done with Ideon in the past by having a gimmick "Canon Bad Ending" game over but wanted one they hadn't used already since Alpha 3 had only been a couple years earlier

Also I imagine the licenses for both were dirt cheap

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I get the vibe that it's about spending so much time burning poo poo down that you want to start growing stuff for a change. Ex-soldiers becoming doctors is another similarly common piece of thematically-resonant career change.

You also have the Origins version of Amuro getting into colony construction at the end. Same deal.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

Also I imagine the licenses for both were dirt cheap

That almost always helps!

chiasaur11 posted:

You also have the Origins version of Amuro getting into colony construction at the end. Same deal.

To be fair Amuro was introduced as a dweeby kid into engineering. The scale is way bigger, sure, but he is a character with an established interest in engineering.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Actually looking it over one reason God Sigma probably got picked is that it actually has a pretty similar plot structure to Baldios in both shows rely on the enemy faction time traveling to attack a near future Earth, which in turn ties in fairly well with Orguss' Space/Time Oscillation Bomb and how that was used to bring together the various series into a unified setting

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They both worked in the context of the game! The point was mostly that SRW does "literally who?" deep cuts on a fairly regular basis, so it's not particularly weird when they dig out some random forgotten 70s or 80s show and cram it into a game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Gonna echo Gripweed but on God Sigma: is that show any good?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I want to say that sometimes obscure shows get into SRW coincidentally around the time when new figures of said show gets announced, leading me to think that some of the deals might be preplanned from the Bandai side of the company, but I don't have any concrete evidence of it.

And considering that a few years ago the then-producer of the series said that they start with a series list and then write the story around that, I think random inclusions in SRW are probably just that. Finding patterns in the clouds is fun but we probably shouldn't take it seriously.

(It really bugs me that the process is the exact opposite of how it should be in order to make a good story, but it is also a very understandable approach given that licenses cost money and aren't guaranteed deals either.)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I noticed that there were L-Gaim kits released around when SRW 30 came out.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
Weren't those were just re-releases with a tiny amount of modernizing?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

srw is fun with weird old stuff no ones heard of :)

(i credit srw z and baldios for getting me into mecha as a whole, pog)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
30 has Knights & Magic as one of the shows, and Bandai made figures of a couple of the robots in that. Those robots didn't actually make it into the game. Sometimes it is just 'yeah, this might draw in some more people'.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Votoms series. I've seen the original and I've watched Mellowlink. Are any of the other shows worth checking out?

Votoms feels kinda unique even among mecha shows for just how shitbox the actual mechs are and how much of a grinder the war is. I know it's counterintuitive to expect a show to continually rotate out cast members as they're killed in combat but are there any other shows in the franchise that really sell that "absolutely anyone can die either because their number was called or just bad luck" feeling? Chirico and Mellowlink are one-man army protagonists. Are there any Votoms shows with an entire crew of expendables just trying to survive rather than becoming unkillable aces?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Most of them aren't bad per se but not necessarily worth checking out and add some really dumb plot elements. Big Battle is fine, and Last Red Shoulder is okay, but other than that, but I think a lot of the other stuff adds some really stupid poo poo

Last Red Shoulder adds dumb stuff but it's got enough good stuff that overall it's fine

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Arc Hammer posted:

Are there any Votoms shows with an entire crew of expendables just trying to survive rather than becoming unkillable aces?
Pailsen Files kiiinda tried that approach but threw it all away in the last few episodes. Plus, like Macross Zero, they used it as practice for 3D AT animation and the results are kinda meh.

Case Irvine has some interesting takes on Votoms grunts with Code Geass character designs, but is just a one-shot and ends up more about arena battling.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I thought that they got the series list first and then wrote the game around that.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Re: VOTOMS. I think Roots of Ambitions is worth a watch, too. If nothing else, the final battle and ending stuck with me. Even if you don't get a whole lot out of them, I think the 80's OVA's are enjoyable enough and are only like an hour each.

Also, a Macross game was announced called Macross: Shooting Insight coming out this year. A really big year for mecha anime games between this, the Grendizer game, the Megaton Musashi game and its collaboration with other shows, and the ongoing updates to last year's Gundam games.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

I thought that they got the series list first and then wrote the game around that.

Generally, yeah, that's how it works these days. They make a list of shows they think they can make work well together, then make the plot based on that.

Also, talking other games, while it's not quite anime mecha since the OVA was cancelled, we're getting a new Armored Core this year, in addition to an anime and game for a new franchise. Funny thing is, Synduality seems to be more like the open world collection game that people were speculating about with AC. I just hope that most of the games are good. Hawken is enough crap mecha game for everyone right now.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I got the General Mecha thread and the SRW threads mixed up, so now I'm reposting this here:

If you were in the early mecha fandom around 2004 you might remember a set of videos purporting to have all the title sequences of mecha shows from the 60s to the middle 2000s. These videos were pretty widely shared at the time, but have been hard to locate since they were taken off of youtube some time ago. I happened to remember I had a copy of these, and so I've put them on the Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/the-60s-70s
https://archive.org/details/the-80s_mecha_anime
https://archive.org/details/the-90s_mecha_anime
https://archive.org/details/the-2000s_mecha_anime

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh hell yeah I was looking for those the other day. Thanks for saving them!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

I got the General Mecha thread and the SRW threads mixed up, so now I'm reposting this here:

If you were in the early mecha fandom around 2004 you might remember a set of videos purporting to have all the title sequences of mecha shows from the 60s to the middle 2000s. These videos were pretty widely shared at the time, but have been hard to locate since they were taken off of youtube some time ago. I happened to remember I had a copy of these, and so I've put them on the Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/the-60s-70s
https://archive.org/details/the-80s_mecha_anime
https://archive.org/details/the-90s_mecha_anime
https://archive.org/details/the-2000s_mecha_anime

so like I mentioned in the SRW thread I had a similar set, mine is definitely different from yours(for one thing covering through 2008 instead of 2004, also slightly different formatting), so I'm uploading my set, will make another post once they're all uploaded in both here and the SRW thread

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
but do you have the extremely weird f final commercial that has a native english speaker doing his best american newscaster voice over machine translated taglines for all the series in it

e: immediately after mentioning this i found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNO2CuX15hw

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

so like I mentioned in the SRW thread I had a similar set, mine is definitely different from yours(for one thing covering through 2008 instead of 2004, also slightly different formatting), so I'm uploading my set, will make another post once they're all uploaded in both here and the SRW thread
took a bit but here they are;

https://archive.org/details/robot-anime-japanese-opening-collection-1963-1984

https://archive.org/details/robot-anime-japanese-opening-collection-1985-1992

https://archive.org/details/robot-anime-japanese-opening-collection-1993-1998

https://archive.org/details/robot-anime-japanese-opening-collection-1999-2003

https://archive.org/details/robot-anime-japanese-opening-collection-2004-2008

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Possibly a repost but...

1. What happened?

2. Can anything be done about it?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

just generational tastes shifting + less support for big anime-original projects ever since the late 00s industry crash + it doesn't help that the highest profile mecha shows of the 2010s were mostly bad

don't think there's anything to be done, they still make the shows

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd argue the downfall of kids being into robots probably traces back to the late 90's and the explosion of Pokemon/Jump adventure titles and maybe Eva. The start of the 90's you still had a bunch of mecha shows aimed at kids like the brave series but when Pokemon hit you saw kids shows start to chase that market and than One Piece also hit it big as well. And companies and sponsors that might have looked at doing a kids mecha show probably saw what Eva did and decided to chase that instead of doing a kids show

So when you get to the 00's you don't have near the amount of kids mecha shows and what is there just isn't as innovative as other kids shows and just don't feel as cool. And it just snowballs from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also Gundam in the 00's marketing really focused on Gundam so even if as a kid you got into Gundam it wouldn't carry over to other robot shows