Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a loving shambles. jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

really wanted nate's dad when talking about the violin to break out the "I thought the music mattered" bit from brassed off

this show is all over the goddamn place. the whole super league send up speech felt way off in tone for some reason

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Not a terrible episode imo, but the pacing is still all over the place. After waffling about with a bunch of nothing storylines all season they decided to tie up a bunch of stuff all in one ep and it's just all a bit meh.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

ilmucche posted:

really wanted nate's dad when talking about the violin to break out the "I thought the music mattered" bit from brassed off

this show is all over the goddamn place. the whole super league send up speech felt way off in tone for some reason

I honestly thought they were going to laugh her out of the room after the speech.

But it’s a weird whiplash on how Rupert was treated from last episode to this one

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Man, you know what would make a fun joke for one episode? What if we revealed that a genuine, earnest character is actually a loving psycho with no concept of friendship outside the people he's being paid to stand next to.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Ugh, I know there’s only one episode left but I’m struggling to find any reason to care. Show should have been Old Yeller’d after season 2. And probably should have been a one and done since season 2 was pretty crummy too.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

So was Keely's PR agency always just a self-suck vanity project? I'm trying to imagine the flaming garbage pile of financials that would cause a business to fold two days after losing funding, especially when the owner has a stable of loving rich friends and associates.

Haha remember when Bill Lawrence did publicity to explain how he was no longer responsible for the writing.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
Remember Zava was this season? what was the point of that? to inspire jamie tart? what a car crash of a season

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
they're going to wrap this up in 2 episodes?

they're fine with a lot happening off-screen, but I'm still mostly confused by how this is playing out.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

bobjr posted:

I honestly thought they were going to laugh her out of the room after the speech.

But it’s a weird whiplash on how Rupert was treated from last episode to this one

Tbh I was surprised Rupert showed up. I expected he would get Rebecca to the meeting and leak the idea so when the idea collapsed and the fans revolted Rebecca/Richmond would be getting slagged off and he'd be laughing away at west ham.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Tbh I was surprised Rupert showed up. I expected he would get Rebecca to the meeting and leak the idea so when the idea collapsed and the fans revolted Rebecca/Richmond would be getting slagged off and he'd be laughing away at west ham.

There are so many better ways they could have played it lmao. This season is a loving disaster. I haven’t been this disappointed in a show in ages. Thank god for Roy and Jamie and the few decent jokes in each episode.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The opening Nate scene screams 'REWRITE!" I'd bet money that an original script had Nate loving up in a public way then getting fired and dumped. Instead we get Jade expositing "Just to be clear, you chose to quit off screen. I must now return to my home county goodbye show!"

Also I complained about Keely not seeking outside investors before finishing the episode and now I'd like to have it both ways. The point of owning a business is to garner self respect as a girlboss figurehead. If it doesn't work out because it isn't profitable, just ask your rich friend to bail you out as a favor, completely divorced from any financial considerations. Simple as.

Also, I'm not exactly clear on what a good CFO does, but I'm reasonably sure it isn't simply reporting "money faucet turned off" then packing your poo poo.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

There are so many better ways they could have played it lmao. This season is a loving disaster. I haven’t been this disappointed in a show in ages. Thank god for Roy and Jamie and the few decent jokes in each episode.

The jersey gift was pretty good, changing the letter is such a completely wtf?? thing to do

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I also like how there was no room for any of Ted's story this episode.

I didn't like that at all!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very sure that’s a sign they’re trying to spin off the show without Ted after and testing the waters for episodes where he isn’t in it much

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Between last week and this week, I think it’s been over a month of in-world time where apparently Michelle and Henry are just fine and dandy, nothing to report, no news is good news?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Scott Forstall posted:

Between last week and this week, I think it’s been over a month of in-world time where apparently Michelle and Henry are just fine and dandy, nothing to report, no news is good news?

However long 10 games + the international break is at least.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

ilmucche posted:

The jersey gift was pretty good, changing the letter is such a completely wtf?? thing to do

Roy Kunt. there ya go.

as for Danny going cold-blooded, there’s team and country and players will absolutely go all out for country over club with international play. the only baffling part of the international call-ups is that it was Jamie’s first one, what the hell?

Rebecca’s rah-rah “footy is sacred!” was so out of the blue, but at least her character wasn’t motivated solely by “I want baby” now, so that’s good?

Akufo being the KING of petty bitch bullshit was incredible to watch; the “and Chicago dogs because Obama and Michael Jordan!” was a delight. it’s good that the character is used sparingly, but anytime he pops up is a gift.

and yes, 100% watch Shoresey! the only thing it has in common with Letterkenny is the fact that Shoresey is in it, but he’s a really fleshed-out character and there’s a clear, concise arc to the season as well as a spectacular cast. Shoresey gets chirped as much as he chirps others and it feels so much more natural than Letterkenny has in years.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the escape goat posted:

Roy Kunt. there ya go.

I mean yeah he changed it to kunt, but I I figured even Jamie would know that's a dumb as poo poo thing to do with roy's jersey from his first world cup appearance. I would've thought Roy had already been given it tbh

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

ilmucche posted:

I mean yeah he changed it to kunt, but I I figured even Jamie would know that's a dumb as poo poo thing to do with roy's jersey from his first world cup appearance. I would've thought Roy had already been given it tbh

He probably traded his with a player on the other team.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
yeah the show's pacing is completely hosed by the rewrites so it's just a bunch of weirdly stitched together scenes with a "CATHARSIS" sign occasionally lighting up above the stage. the moment between nate and his dad felt like it's been coming since the 1st season but it still managed to feel very half-baked.

anyway i've given up expecting anything meaningful from the show so akufo coming back was truly a delightful surprise. laughed out loud more this episode than any other this season probably

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

ilmucche posted:

ah I thought it was a replica oop

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
the thing with the show is that it's really hard to get what they're going for irt to how fantastic and detached the whole thing is from pretty much any underlying reality, Nathan might be mopey for a few days but anyone who coached a premier league to second place will have his pick of career options for the rest of his life, like his arc is silly, even coaching a second division team would be a great job for a guy who was a kitman two years ago and really he'd have his pick, if he'd offer himself to polish national team that hire him in an instant and pay him a million dollars to work two months every year.

I know this has been discussed itt with regards to the show underplaying how big the premier league is when it's convenient to do so, but Nate was like, a national celebrity, the wonder kid, he was super successful, are we really supposed to take it that falling out with Rupert will be catastrophic for him? doesn't he have an agent?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Did they seriously do the "Mae/Maybe" joke that Arrested Development is basically built on??

Also 1 hour 6 minutes :wtf: these episodes are just getting longer and longer now? is there an editors' strike?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I hope this show ends and never comes back. I’m just watching out of spite and have been for some time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I am going to brave the "bad at watching TV" waters and ask this question:

Why was everyone covered in food after the speech? Did they all get into an argument that devolved into a food fight? Did Akufo walk up and down the table throwing plates in people's faces? Did a food bomb go off?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I genuinely loathe everything about the Keeley's business subplot. So she fulfills her very relatable dream of being able to make rich people richer through marketing and she hires her friend who sucks and then fires her immediately and then she falls in love with her boss and that falls through and luckily she knows a second billionaire? What the gently caress is any of this poo poo #girlboss

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Were any of you Scrubs fans?

I feel like I'm the only person who still likes this show and I think it's because I've largely seen it as Bill Lawrence doing another workplace comedy that occasionally has drama rather than a prestige show where everything has to be perfectly set up and paid off for it to work.

I don't think I'm doing it better, mind. I just feel like I was vaccinated before being exposed to this show.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Hakkesshu posted:

I genuinely loathe everything about the Keeley's business subplot. So she fulfills her very relatable dream of being able to make rich people richer through marketing and she hires her friend who sucks and then fires her immediately and then she falls in love with her boss and that falls through and luckily she knows a second billionaire? What the gently caress is any of this poo poo #girlboss

It’s bad writing and wreaks of a season long soft launch of a spin off show. You know, like that one really weird The Farm episode in the last season of The Office. Only for an entire season.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Why was everyone covered in food after the speech? Did they all get into an argument that devolved into a food fight? Did Akufo walk up and down the table throwing plates in people's faces? Did a food bomb go off?

They were all swayed by Rebecca's speech and turned Akufo down. He threw a fit since he's an idiot baby and threw food on all of them.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

LividLiquid posted:

There might be one or two around.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

LividLiquid posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who still likes this show and I think it's because I've largely seen it as Bill Lawrence doing another workplace comedy that occasionally has drama rather than a prestige show where everything has to be perfectly set up and paid off for it to work.

I don't think I'm doing it better, mind. I just feel like I was vaccinated before being exposed to this show.

We're at like season 8 Scrubs tier. Mostly it's reminding me of the better show from earlier seasons. All over the place but still some good one-off jokes.

Alternately, if this was the first season of a new show, I'd be enthusiastic for the second season where they file off the storylines that aren't working.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Don't you put this evil on Bill Lawrence

quote:

I ran that show the first year because Jason was still shooting movies while we were doing the writers room. Then, at the end of that year, much like Gary with me, I was like, “Ah, I’ll spend a couple of months teaching him how to edit.” But after like a day or two, he’s like, “Yeah, I got it.” (Laughs.) So, the second year, we ran it together, and I’m only able to do other things now because that guy ran the show himself the third year, as it should be. It’s his voice and his world this season.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, you ain't ,wrong. The close-out of Cougartown was sloppy too, but I still enjoyed it.

But I'm the gal who really liked that med school season of Scrubs (when JD wasn't around, anyway,) so take that for what it's worth.

Edit:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Don't you put this evil on Bill Lawrence
Oh, wow. I had no idea he was basically out as showrunner.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

LividLiquid posted:

But I'm the gal who really liked that med school season of Scrubs (when JD wasn't around, anyway,) so take that for what it's worth.

Good, because it was good (when JD wasn't around). :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao @ this whole thing when Lawrence’s lack of involvement is blatantly the main reason it’s gone to poo poo

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Nah man, Sudekis picked up editing in two days which is why everything is so crisp now.

That quote is from a Hollywood Reporter article from March and I remember thinking it was a compliment rather than a disclaimer at the time.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do wonder if Nate's leaving was changed last second because they talk about how he was fired and it was somewhat expected, only for him to later mention he quit, despite the team doing well and only having a recent loss that looked bad on him.

It being entirely offscreen is just weird see how much focus he was getting.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SpiderLink posted:

They were all swayed by Rebecca's speech and turned Akufo down. He threw a fit since he's an idiot baby and threw food on all of them.

Okay, I'll take your word for it, I guess I just have some trouble picturing how it would have gone down physically lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Okay, I'll take your word for it, I guess I just have some trouble picturing how it would have gone down physically lol

Probably like his tantrum in the s2 finale but with food