Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
man journalists really are just completely incapable of not making up a bright side to every single story. like yeah sure it’s getting worse every day, but look at the bright side, at least it isn’t tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Just a Moron posted:

Is there any good post-climate change speculative fiction out there?

https://www.ancienttexts.org/library/mesopotamian/gilgamesh/tab11.htm

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Stereotype posted:

man journalists really are just completely incapable of not making up a bright side to every single story. like yeah sure it’s getting worse every day, but look at the bright side, at least it isn’t tomorrow.

Everyone is afraid of being called "doomer," I mean look at the soupy nobody shitposters who periodically invade this thread and cause even us to hesitate at times. Peer pressure is a hell of a drug

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
There is not a single rational or defensible reason to have even a shred of hope that our civilization for certain (and our species itself almost certainly) will survive for much longer and that degrowth and anti-natalism are obligatory positions, yet here we are. The human mind is a flawed-rear end thing

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cracking up at this SAD-written temporary-assuring tweet

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1658782327042973696?s=20

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Wasn't "God's forest" a huge stretch of holy cedars that went from the Mediterranean to Euphrates and was entirely hosed up by human climate modification at the dawn of writing?

& now the last relict population is in Lebanon and is extremely endangered

And back then there were lions and ostriches and all kinds of wildlife just hanging out

And our ancestors basically wrecked the whole thing millenia before any of us were born

Also the sumerians invented number and compound interest

Lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I live in the Northeast where it's been summer for two months now (and it's only mid-May), and all winter right before that it snowed only once for a grand total of one inch in my area, but g*d forbid I say that's bad and point out it's not like how it was even 2 years ago, let alone 5 when I was still getting feet of snow in the month of May

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Chris James 2 posted:

I live in the Northeast where it's been summer for two months now (and it's only mid-May), and all winter right before that it snowed only once for a grand total of one inch in my area, but g*d forbid I say that's bad and point out it's not like how it was even 2 years ago, let alone 5 when I was still getting feet of snow in the month of May

A lot of places are experiencing heat now that they'd normally only find in July

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

4d3d3d posted:

A lot of places are experiencing heat now that they'd normally only find in July

:same: My 10-day forecast is 75+ highs from Sunday on. That'd be normal for July 4

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's that chart where the number spikes then drops then spikes higher than ever.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
doomer comix

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Way ahead of his time

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

TACD posted:

Bad news :(

Good news :)

overall it’s impossible to say if there’s anything to worry about

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/17/global-heating-climate-crisis-record-temperatures-wmo-research

This just seems like vibes bro, how can you say for sure this is going to happen? And if it happens how can we say for sure it's a bad thing?

Why are you posting like this?

:rubby:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
it'll be in the low 30s tonight, global warming over?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

TACD posted:

overall it’s impossible to say if there’s anything to worry about

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/17/global-heating-climate-crisis-record-temperatures-wmo-research

some bad, some good, who’s to say that this is the end? after all, life has some bad and some good. I’d rather not think about it, aside from when I make my purchasing decisions. thanks!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

RadiRoot posted:

i presume this is Celsius

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
0° C somehow :shudder:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

4d3d3d posted:

Everyone is afraid of being called "doomer," I mean look at the soupy nobody shitposters who periodically invade this thread and cause even us to hesitate at times. Peer pressure is a hell of a drug

This makes me think of that clip from The Newsroom that sometimes got posted here with the scientist talking about how hosed the environment is, and everyone in the thread all nods and says, "Hey, someone's saying it!"

I never actually watched The Newsroom but eventually someone pointed out how the show is written so you're meant to think the scientist is insane.

I guess this thread is like that guy for the forums, everyone could just laugh at the wacky old climate change thread and go about their day, but the sensation of doom is becoming more and more pervasive and must be rejected with increasing harshness to continue going about your day. That's why we're seeing a lot more anti-doomer rhetoric than we used to.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Harold Fjord posted:

It's that chart where the number spikes then drops then spikes higher than ever.

idk what chart you mean but it reminded me of the technical analysis meme so I updated it

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Global Warming is transitory.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

local pot of water to temporarily exceed 100° celcius. 30 year average remains low

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i will never hesitate to post

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Chris James 2 posted:

This person looks very upset and and emotional. I hope they go into therapy to learn how engage with climate change issues constructively.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

idk why everyone’s posting about the doom threshold being passed in 5 years…. why aren’t you organizing and building networks instead?

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Shyrka posted:

This makes me think of that clip from The Newsroom that sometimes got posted here with the scientist talking about how hosed the environment is, and everyone in the thread all nods and says, "Hey, someone's saying it!"

I never actually watched The Newsroom but eventually someone pointed out how the show is written so you're meant to think the scientist is insane.

I guess this thread is like that guy for the forums, everyone could just laugh at the wacky old climate change thread and go about their day, but the sensation of doom is becoming more and more pervasive and must be rejected with increasing harshness to continue going about your day. That's why we're seeing a lot more anti-doomer rhetoric than we used to.

People are definitely Protesting Too Much

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

biceps crimes posted:

idk why everyone’s posting about the doom threshold being passed in 5 years…. why aren’t you organizing and building networks instead?

I live in North America so I'm surrounded by reactionaries who would rather kill the world than change at all sadly.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Wasn't "God's forest" a huge stretch of holy cedars that went from the Mediterranean to Euphrates and was entirely hosed up by human climate modification at the dawn of writing?

& now the last relict population is in Lebanon and is extremely endangered

And back then there were lions and ostriches and all kinds of wildlife just hanging out

And our ancestors basically wrecked the whole thing millenia before any of us were born

Also the sumerians invented number and compound interest

Lol

sometimes I try to come up with a list of top 5 worst human inventions, agriculture is definitely on there, we shoulda never planted anything, that’s when it all started going to poo poo

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Puppy Burner posted:

I live in North America so I'm surrounded by reactionaries who would rather kill the world than change at all sadly.

And kill us for saying anything about it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Chris James 2 posted:

My thanks to a Discord doomer who pointed to the IPCC Special Report: Global Warming of 1.5 ºC, published in 2018, which set 2030 as the earliest plausible worst-case date for temperatures crossing 1.5℃.

say the line, bart

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TACD posted:

My thanks to a Discord doomer who pointed to the IPCC Special Report: Global Warming of 1.5 ºC, published in 2018, which set 2030 as the earliest plausible worst-case date for temperatures crossing 1.5℃.

say the line, bart

maybe the ice caps will just re-freeze afterwards and we can scavenge the wreckage of the coastal cities like we're discovering Atlantean ruins

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

RadiRoot posted:

same biosphere. one half of the country engulfed in flames, one half unseasonably cold and confusing for the birds. don't worry! the east coast will be "unrelentingly hot" later this summer so we too can enjoy the feeling that our bones are melting and that something isn't quite right with the amount of bugs left.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

ooo I hope it gets hot and humid enough in nyc for roaches to start flying again

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160812/bushwick/roaches-love-this-disgusting-heat-so-much-it-makes-them-want-fly/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TACD posted:

say the line, bart

I mean that very report says that 40-60% of humans alive have already experienced at least one season of +1.5C by 2015.

quote:

Most land regions are experiencing greater warming than the global average, while most ocean regions are warming at a slower rate. Depending on the temperature dataset considered, 20–40% of the global human population live in regions that, by the decade 2006–2015, had already experienced warming of more than 1.5°C above pre-industrial in at least one season (medium confidence). {1.2.1, 1.2.2}

And it also says future excursions into +1.5C are likely before we permanently go into +1.5C, so nah that report is spot on the money here.

It isn’t that the IPCC reports are actually overly optimistic, they’re just written to allow people to think they are.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

This feels very Biosphere Collapse

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

And kill us for saying anything about it

or worse, close this thread!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Maed posted:

sometimes I try to come up with a list of top 5 worst human inventions, agriculture is definitely on there, we shoulda never planted anything, that’s when it all started going to poo poo

Being able to sharpen a stick and chuck it at an animal. That was basically like inventing the intercontinental canine tooth for everyone back then. Definitely hosed a few mega fauna species right into the fossil record, no agriculture needed for that

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

nomad2020 posted:

Global Warming is transitory.

I'm genuinely amazed that The Optimists went with this. I honestly thought it would be too stupid even for them

I guess when there's so much talk of carbon capture, the idea of drawing it down and clawing back under 1.5 looks like a thing that can be done

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Sidney Man Boosts Alcohol Intake While Researching Speculative "Liver Repair" Technology

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Luckily I live in Denver which will become a rainforest with climate change so I'm safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Raine posted:

local pot of water to temporarily exceed 100° celcius. 30 year average remains low

as a frog, it's relieving to hear that it's only temporary