Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I posted in the MMO chat thread about it, but I can echo this. I hopped on Friday night and, once they opened a few more servers and the initial rush subsided, I had a great time getting my ogre monk kitted out with cracked staves and cloth armor along with two friends. Will definitely be keeping an eye out on further testing opportunities as they get more content developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
It’s already playable and feels fun to play, so congrats now it’s ‘just’ more content.

No iksars though??

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Any of you goons playing this? I never did the whole EQ thing back in the day, but I played the heck out of EQOA on the PS2. Sadly, that game is long gone, but nostalgia has hit pretty hard and I’m playing this. I got a druid to 15 and made a little bit of money but I’ve switched gears and I’m a level 9 troll SK now. I was able to fund a set of large handed gear which has helped tremendously.

I’ve just been living my best troll life in the swamp, killing frogs and RPing with any elf that passes by in the way to Guk. I find that if I’m nice to the elves, they tend to buff the poo poo out of me.

I have no idea why I’m playing this in 2023 since I don’t have the classic EQ background, but it’s the only MMO that is currently pulling me in.

My favorite part so far (not really) was having to ding level 6 on three separate occasions due to unfortunate deaths.

I have a sword that I looted from a dead guard but I’m trying to save up some plat now to find something better. Getting to the EC tunnel is a bit daunting though at this point for my lil Zoti.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That owns. Enjoy that feeling.

Shocking to realize it is now further away from EQ original release and the start of P99 than it is from P99 start to today.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

ukrainius maximus posted:

Any of you goons playing this? I never did the whole EQ thing back in the day, but I played the heck out of EQOA on the PS2. Sadly, that game is long gone, but nostalgia has hit pretty hard and I’m playing this. I got a druid to 15 and made a little bit of money but I’ve switched gears and I’m a level 9 troll SK now. I was able to fund a set of large handed gear which has helped tremendously.

I’ve just been living my best troll life in the swamp, killing frogs and RPing with any elf that passes by in the way to Guk. I find that if I’m nice to the elves, they tend to buff the poo poo out of me.

I have no idea why I’m playing this in 2023 since I don’t have the classic EQ background, but it’s the only MMO that is currently pulling me in.

My favorite part so far (not really) was having to ding level 6 on three separate occasions due to unfortunate deaths.

I have a sword that I looted from a dead guard but I’m trying to save up some plat now to find something better. Getting to the EC tunnel is a bit daunting though at this point for my lil Zoti.

Looks like you volunteered yourself to check out http://eqoaemu.com/index.php/about/ for the thread!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

shirunei posted:

Looks like you volunteered yourself to check out http://eqoaemu.com/index.php/about/ for the thread!

Yeah but can I backwards compat with my PS5

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I love EQ, but never even heard of eqoa until way past its prime. The thought of another rendition of norrarth is tantalizing, esp since I don't think dbg will ever make another eq (I know there's rumors). Might be fun to play around in that just to explore.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Oh trust me when I say that I’ve been following that project for a few years. I don’t even know how to describe EQOA compared to actual EQ, but it really was my first hit of MMO outside of RuneScape so it’s the dragon I’ve been chasing ever since.

The coolest part about it, to me, was that there was no zoning in the game (outside of the expansion Frontiers adding in Odus as a new continent). It’s crazy to me that on a PS2, the trek from Qeynos to FP was entirely seamless.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Was googling about this, and there's that EQOA Revival site there, but there's also Project Return Home. What's the connection? I assume there is one.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
50% exp and faction bonus through Monday

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Lmao they gave a worn candle to barbarian caracters because they can't see poo poo in the dark otherwise. 10/10 would play again

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Athropos posted:

Lmao they gave a worn candle to barbarian caracters because they can't see poo poo in the dark otherwise. 10/10 would play again

In the classic days I had to walk backwards into the first dungeon due to the fact I had no map nor could see anything but the scant few torches and needed something to navigate by.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I had a huge (20 inch!) monitor that was permanently damaged because the gamma was always cranked to max

reresearcher
Feb 24, 2004
looks like a 50% exp boost is in affect until july 5th. just got my druid to 54 with it. good time to level up,

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I'm playing! On green, I'm mostly playing my bard Seoras, 35 bard. I also have a 57 magician, Fawzi.

Lately I've been hanging out in South Karana at KFC, so once you get a few levels under yer belt and you want to mass murder bird people, give me a holler

e:

I'm glad that people are working on an EQOA emulator. I'm surprised it hasn't come about before now -- I'd definitely give it a shot. I only played EQOA for a very short amount of time, I know back then I had some kind of issue with it like I did with EQ2. Another game I need to give another shot! I know EQ2's gone F2P but it was actually designed in the days before the scourge of f2p mmos so its overall mechanics will likely still be bearable and, perhaps, dare I say, fun

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 1, 2023

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I’m playing on green as Akrar, 60 monk

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I actually switched gears and I’ve been leveling an Iksar necromancer named Sizza. I’ve been living my life at Kurns and I’m up to 16 now, which is the farthest I’ve ever made it in this era of EQ. I spent some time working on my necro skullcap and it was oddly compelling to camp out the pieces I needed for it. I think I’m up to rank 4 and I have a massive +2 int from it!

It was a nice distraction doing it on-level and I got a decent chunk of xp killing everything in my way. Necro is a lot of fun so far!

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Yeah I did that too on my Iksar Necro and had the skullcaps done by the mid-20s. It was a fun challenge.

Another one I'd recommend is trying to finish the SoulFire quest under 30. Running invis through Mistmoore Castle and Splitpaw felt like a stealth mission.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I still play/raid on Green with a wide variety of characters:

Beefswelling - 60 Rog (Current main)
Pelagian - 60 Paladin (Former main)
Lapsed - 55 Shaman
Dantheman - 52 Cleric
Danthemule - 51 Dru
Festeringseed - 50 Necro
Skinkshame - 30 SK
Plainview - 12 Ench
Gossard - 11 ish Bard

If you're not in the Goon P99 Discord, here it is: https://discord.gg/4yycvzh

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 23, 2023

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
I still play on Green occasionally too.

Salta - 60 cleric
Buitre - 60 necro
Enkanto - 60 enchanter

I mostly play the enc when I log in. The cle and nec just live in ToV and Kael for dkp farming.

Also have a bunch of chars on Blue that never get logged in anymore.

Hmu if anyone needs some plat or whatever. Happy to help.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Hibajubwa posted:

I still play on Green occasionally too.

Salta - 60 cleric
Buitre - 60 necro
Enkanto - 60 enchanter

I mostly play the enc when I log in. The cle and nec just live in ToV and Kael for dkp farming.

Also have a bunch of chars on Blue that never get logged in anymore.

Hmu if anyone needs some plat or whatever. Happy to help.

Plan on rolling on green soon, would appreciate some starting plat

edit: nm trying red

Koala Cola fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 23, 2023

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Which green guilds are you guys in? I'm in Kingdom

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

Apparition posted:

Plan on rolling on green soon, would appreciate some starting plat
Sure, look for me on the chars I listed above or tag me in Discord. I can usually jump on most weekdays during work hours.

Apparition posted:

edit: nm trying red
Ew.

an iksar marauder posted:

Which green guilds are you guys in? I'm in Kingdom
I’m in GG.

Was in the original goon Daniel meme guild, then went to Seal Team in classic. Then quit for a couple years.

Came back with my cle still tagged ST, but ST was pretty much dead after the sleeper. Leveled the necro in Ancient Blood (who were and are awesome) then tried Castle and FoH but neither were at the level of raiding I like to warmbody at.

Just then GG was forming so I jumped in and its been great since. No mains/alts bs. No rules about seniority or loot tiers. No dues/taxes/whatever. Good players, good loots, simple systems. Plus PP HoT is easy plat (and easy armor if ur rich).

I’ve played since blue launch and been in the top guilds basically the whole time, starting with Inglorious Bastards on blue. GG is probably my favorite I’ve played in.

Hibajubwa fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 23, 2023

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Yeah I was in Dial a Daniel too, then went to Ancient Blood later, FoH, and then Kingdom ironically since I wanted to cool down a little bit and stop losing sleep/waking up outside of my own time zone.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
Are there any great writeups or posts about the glory days of 2000ish era top guilds?

Afterlife / Fires of Heaven / Coterie Nocturne etc.

Would love to read it.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

Lol, I get where you're coming from. I haven't played in awhile and the bonus XP is attractive for now while I figure out what class I want to main. I'll probably switch over at that point and hit you up.

You mention a discord, is that a goon one or just the general p99 one?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

The discord linked here is a goon one

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

an iksar marauder posted:

The discord linked here is a goon one

Well poo poo, this changes everything.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I started playing the druid that I began P99 with again for some reason, most likely because I took a break from my necro and just never felt like going back to it. I'm currently 16 and camping bandits/sisters in lfay with root/rot, although I'm not sure if it's the most efficient way I could be playing right now.

Is there a list of any recommended gear I should pursue as a druid? I know I shouldn't really be taking melee hits, but I have a 5 dmg sword that can proc snare that a nice person gave me and it just feels a bit too weak, so I'm wondering if there is a cheap weapon that can help get me through some of these early levels.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

I started playing the druid that I began P99 with again for some reason, most likely because I took a break from my necro and just never felt like going back to it. I'm currently 16 and camping bandits/sisters in lfay with root/rot, although I'm not sure if it's the most efficient way I could be playing right now.

Is there a list of any recommended gear I should pursue as a druid? I know I shouldn't really be taking melee hits, but I have a 5 dmg sword that can proc snare that a nice person gave me and it just feels a bit too weak, so I'm wondering if there is a cheap weapon that can help get me through some of these early levels.

I always quest the Testament of Venear and the Paw of Opolla for my p99 druids. There's also a low level leather wis chest whose name I forget that'll keep you going for a good while.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Awesome, I will check that out! Looks like I need to gain some levels before I can do the paw quest, but it seems that the Testament may be doable at 17? I'll have to check it out.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Awesome, I will check that out! Looks like I need to gain some levels before I can do the paw quest, but it seems that the Testament may be doable at 17? I'll have to check it out.

Testament is easy since it doesn't seem like he's camped that much anymore, just be careful of the super-bandit that wanders through that area that'll basically instagib you at that level.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Definitely doable at your level, though everything will be a lot easier at 19 with some self ports. On the other hand, getting around and sneaking about is half the fun.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Got my Spear of Fate on blue last night!! First epic ever, including live back in the day.

:sax:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Big congrats, definitely a useful one for solo and groups.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Thanks! I’m only level 55 too, so it’ll get plenty of use. I kinda just stopped making the effort on the xp grind once it was in sight… knew it would help out sooo much.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

Meatgrinder posted:

Definitely doable at your level, though everything will be a lot easier at 19 with some self ports. On the other hand, getting around and sneaking about is half the fun.

Yeah I think I will wait until 19 just to have an easier time getting around. I took a break to camp the orc warlord in CB to try and get the shoulders. I’m about halfway to 18 so I should be able to get to it soon enough.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

truavatar posted:

Thanks! I’m only level 55 too, so it’ll get plenty of use. I kinda just stopped making the effort on the xp grind once it was in sight… knew it would help out sooo much.

I duo'd tons with a buddy of mine and we helped each other get our epics early on - first epic for both of us as well - and it was really great because the spear and the leafblower stack so we would just run around clicking our epics at half a dozen melee mobs at a time all over Norrath, never gets old!

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.

If you're on Blue hit me up on Momentary at some point, I'll toss you some goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I appreciate that! Sadly though I am playing on green.