Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Freudian slippers posted:

Technically, it's my vassals who are paying for it :agesilaus:

I attempted to ally with the pope during a wedding. The alliance first succeeded, then auto-failed because we were no longer married (wtf, the wedding was for neither of us), but then we became friends anyway!

Alliance ended with ❎THE POPE❎. Now THE POPE is my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

There is indeed such a bug, for which a hotfix was released twenty minutes ago.

Shame they couldn’t also tackle the tournament qualification reset bug.

Unrelated to bugs, but I’m not sure how to invite my knights to come with me to someone else’s grand tournament.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

how are y’all affording so many grand weddings all my funds are tied up in my tourney budget

The first activity legacy cuts the cost in half. And tournaments aren't that expensive if you build a province for it with the right buildings.

A taxation tour also generates obscene amounts of funds early on. Even if you get refused tribute at every stop, the pulse events should fill your pockets with gold. The downside is that the majesty tour gives loads of renown instead, so I think they become the better mid to late game option.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Magil Zeal posted:

There's almost so much to do now it feels manic at times. If I wanted to focus wholly on travel and activities I'd never be able to go to war. And I can never host enough Grand Weddings for all of my children and grandchildren, even though I took the perk that boosts them and built Leisure Palaces. I almost never find time to host a feast or a hunt even!

people on the paradox message board are complaining that they cant play at 5x speed anymore because there are too many things to do lol

there are still some kinks to work out but i love this expansion, im about a hundred years in as a count, playing at 2x, and ive had something to do the entire time (and i dont declare wars.) you shouldnt be able to do everything that you want to do, hell you should only be able to do a fraction of what you want to do, because having to make decisions between mutually exclusive alternatives is how life works

e: also highly recommend napoli as an 867 start. youre an orthodox count with catholics to the north of you and muslims to the south of you. pledged allegiance to the basileus and am slowly spreading my family throughout the empire

ELTON JOHN fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 16, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ELTON JOHN posted:

people on the paradox message board are complaining that they cant play at 5x speed anymore because there are too many things to do lol

there are still some kinks to work out but i love this expansion, im about a hundred years in as a count, playing at 2x, and ive had something to do the entire time (and i dont declare wars.) you shouldnt be able to do everything that you want to do, hell you should only be able to do a fraction of what you want to do, because having to make decisions between mutually exclusive alternatives is how life works

heh, I've always been a 4-speed all the time player, now I have to drop down to 3 quite a bit to handle things at times. I like it.

One thing I still don't like is how children education works - specifically how children get traits. I keep getting the same few events, some of which are "choose between horrible choice #1, horrible choice #2 or horrible choice #3 - 2 and 3 will also give you stress" and often get repeated for multiple children, ending up with mostly samey looking children if you try to educate them all on your own. I educated 3 of my children and all 3 got the choice between lazy, arbitrary and shy (or some other really, really poo poo choice)... sometimes the same event even repeats multiple times, and you get only 2 choices later on for some reason. Might be intended, but it's only that or let the lovely AI handle it and give whatever horrible traits THEY want to my kids. That just sucks!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Finally started playing this. I'm going to have to figure out how to not suck at wrestling in these tournaments. I also laughed the first time I saw you can have a Murder Feast, sounds metal. I think this will definitely slow the game down for me because I now have other things to do besides wage war on people. Only complaint is getting invited to things and sometimes it's already too late to attend, or I have like 1 day before it's too late so I have to hit the pause button immediately.

Had an event that I think was a bug. I was travelling to a tournament when I was attacked on the road. My shieldmaiden stepped in to stop the attackers and she was killed in the process, but for some reason, the game said I murdered her. Not sure what happened there as nothing in the narrative said I killed her.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i have done a murder feast and can confirm they are completely insane

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I decided to fight a war for my fabricated claim on the duchy of Corsica because I had a bigger army even though I'd be fighting the goddamn King of Italy. It was going ok, but I had to keep abandoning sieging to run back to kick the Italians off of my capital. But then I was fighting a different king. And then a different king who had a way bigger army.

I have no idea what happened. No one died, and it's still the original Duke of Corsica and he's still a vassal of the King of Italy. Anyway I got my rear end kicked but I can't figure out what I screwed up.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This is one of the very few PDS expansions to be firmly in the positive of Steam reviews so long after release. Pretty impressive given the price imo - they’ve definitely hit on something.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Dick Trauma posted:

I decided to fight a war for my fabricated claim on the duchy of Corsica because I had a bigger army even though I'd be fighting the goddamn King of Italy. It was going ok, but I had to keep abandoning sieging to run back to kick the Italians off of my capital. But then I was fighting a different king. And then a different king who had a way bigger army.

I have no idea what happened. No one died, and it's still the original Duke of Corsica and he's still a vassal of the King of Italy. Anyway I got my rear end kicked but I can't figure out what I screwed up.

If kinda does sound like someone died if you kept fighting different Kings. Another possibility is that the Kingdom of Italy was suffering from internal strife and the old king lost the struggle (since you wiped out his armies). In the future seize the territory in question, then defeat his field armies. Or you were fighting a rebel faction that the Corsican Duke was fighting and the civil war resolved itself and the real King of Italy brought the smackdown.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm ready for a restart but I worked hard for that fake claim and I want Corsica before I give up. :colbert:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm ready for a restart but I worked hard for that fake claim and I want Corsica before I give up. :colbert:

Not that I am telling you how to play this video game, but I would avoid restarting or save scuming if you fail an immediate goal. Treat it more like an RPG where the characters you play may encounter set backs or even failure in their life goals. Goals that their offspring can take up with their own unique set of skills.

Success in this game doesn't necessarily need to be linear.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

yeah i find that when I am going very hard in the paint for achievements in this game I enjoy it far far less than when I just chill and see what happens

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I think it really depends on the individual person/goals.

I think roleplaying in CK3 is more fun than simply map-painting, and a lot of setbacks or unexpected things make for great stories!

That said, if you're just not having fun, or have a new idea you want to try, you absolutely can and should start a new game. It's a single-player game for the most part so the best thing to do is play how you want!

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
actually my personal playstyle is the best one and anyone who does other playstyles is loving up big time

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

TorakFade posted:

heh, I've always been a 4-speed all the time player, now I have to drop down to 3 quite a bit to handle things at times. I like it.

One thing I still don't like is how children education works - specifically how children get traits. I keep getting the same few events, some of which are "choose between horrible choice #1, horrible choice #2 or horrible choice #3 - 2 and 3 will also give you stress" and often get repeated for multiple children, ending up with mostly samey looking children if you try to educate them all on your own. I educated 3 of my children and all 3 got the choice between lazy, arbitrary and shy (or some other really, really poo poo choice)... sometimes the same event even repeats multiple times, and you get only 2 choices later on for some reason. Might be intended, but it's only that or let the lovely AI handle it and give whatever horrible traits THEY want to my kids. That just sucks!

Absolutely on purpose; the choices given will be from what the educator has. So lovely parents raise lovely children, don't let a useless dolt inherit! And if you do end up playing as one, you need to recruit people who are better than you to raise your kids; intelligent folk with admiral personalities.

Funny recent inheritance story: My starting guy got wounded by a hunt and was elderly enough to care, so unfortunately some utterly useless middle child inherited as I was in the midist of pruning the older kids. He was hunchbacked, had sins, and was totally disliked... but he did have like 30 martial. Quickly married another grossly lopsided lady, set her to martial, and was walking around with a nearly 50 martial cripple who everyone hated. Had a grand time mauling everyone, then his lovely traits caught up with him and he got stressed out... and got offered flagellate. Quickly checked, my previous inheritance pruning was mostly complete so all it took was a a single disinherit, and my hunchback flayed himself to death on the spot. Oopsie doodle.

Lesson reinforced: give a gently caress about your kids, be proactive. It's wholesome <3

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Serephina posted:

Lesson reinforced: give a gently caress about your kids, be proactive. It's wholesome <3

I only want the best for my kids. That's why I marry them to each other.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I wish you could decline elective title inheritance.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
...Just give it away? There absolutely is a 'problem' that you can't easily knock yourself down a tier, but if it's some who-cares title just grant it to some rando.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Serephina posted:

Absolutely on purpose; the choices given will be from what the educator has. So lovely parents raise lovely children, don't let a useless dolt inherit! And if you do end up playing as one, you need to recruit people who are better than you to raise your kids; intelligent folk with admiral personalities.

Yeah I suspected that, and I still hate that. Children are not carbon copies of their parents or of whomever educates them, and a shy man isn't going to raise 10 shy children automatically.

even if it did and even if it happened that way in reality, it's very unsatisfying - in a game about inheritance - being unable to influence your heir or other children directly besides "ok choose 1 out of 3" pulse events that fire about 3 times in an entire childhood.

I would agree with having smarter people raise my kids if I could still have SOME kind of say on what happens. As it stands it feels like rolling the dice since even if the tutor has traits you want in the kid they are perfectly willing and able to choose opposing/different traits for the kid sometimes, and fat chance understanding why they did it. I guess the AI is faced with the same dumb rng events to give traits, only instead of choosing the less bad or what makes the most sense, they roleplay their choices and/or go random apparently... fine if they're educating my 3rd granddaughter, not fine if it's my heir or 2nd/3rd in
line, or will eventually become my vassals.

I really doubt medieval rulers would say to their tutors "here's my first born, teach him whatever you drat well please" - it feels like a simplification for gameplay's sake only it makes for worse gameplay, not better, imho. There has to be a better way than 3 random events in 10 years that are so heavily weighted you can get the same 1-2 over and over during the course of raising 5 children...

e: the problem is that the events give you the certainty of assigning a specific trait, so if you give a choice between "good" and "bad" traits everyone will take the good only. but exposes you to bad RNG/weird weighting and getting only the bad choices or anyway the same choices all the time and then you don't have any recourse to change things and you're shoehorned into a path, and that feels bad.

a guy on reddit (sorry for reddit link) explains it better than I do, and yeah the ck1 style events were much better imho

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/w2mka6/arguably_one_of_the_worst_childhood_trait_events/igr6xy9

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 17, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That reddit guy may have started with a point, but what godawful suggestions he had. "Instead of picking one trait, pick an action that can result in three totally different traits with no similarities". Wrathful, Craven or Diligent are nowhere near each other, if I was given a list of 3x3 options like that I'd just be mashing buttons at random as it's just popup spam now and I clearly have no control of how the kid's coming out; virtues, sins or else.

The system's fine now, you don't churn out ten shy kids, it's just more likely to be a default option you can pick away from. For the posted screenshot, what's wrong exactly with craven or lazy anyways, that's totally playable? And if not christian, then just pick vengeful since it's loving great. Hell, I pick sins all day everyday as cristianas anyways as they make for way more fun characters, piety be damned.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Serephina posted:

That reddit guy may have started with a point, but what godawful suggestions he had. "Instead of picking one trait, pick an action that can result in three totally different traits with no similarities". Wrathful, Craven or Diligent are nowhere near each other, if I was given a list of 3x3 options like that I'd just be mashing buttons at random as it's just popup spam now and I clearly have no control of how the kid's coming out; virtues, sins or else.

The system's fine now, you don't churn out ten shy kids, it's just more likely to be a default option you can pick away from. For the posted screenshot, what's wrong exactly with craven or lazy anyways, that's totally playable? And if not christian, then just pick vengeful since it's loving great. Hell, I pick sins all day everyday as cristianas anyways as they make for way more fun characters, piety be damned.

It's not the single events or choices that bother me. I don't want to be able to negate all bad traits and only get the good ones, that would not make for good gameplay. It's the fact that all kids come out nearly the same if you're educating them and you get the same 3-4 trait-choosing events on repeat all the time, which is kinda ridiculous both from a gameplay and a "realism" standpoint - that's really all there is to it, they'd just have to add more events, make them more varied , and revise the weightings and/or make them much clearer to the player so you know what you're getting into when assigning a tutor or tutoring someone yourself besides "let's hope the kid picks up the trait I want now".

With a starting custom character (Intelligent + Ambitious, Calm, Chaste) I educated my 4 sons myself, so I got about 12+ of those events - and in none of those among the selectable traits were either Ambitious or Calm. I got the chaste/lustful event on every kid once, I got impatient/gluttonous/shy a few times, and a bunch of compassionate/lazy/gluttonous events iirc. End result: 4 kids with a mix of Chaste, Compassionate, Gluttonous and Impatient. All playable no doubt, but I feel like I had basically 0 control on how my children ended up. Educating the first was the exact same as educating the last, with almost the same results except maybe 1 random event with slightly different trait choices. What does getting impatient, compassionate and gluttonous have to do with learning from a tutor that's Ambitious and Calm and none of those other traits? If there is supposed to be at least some randomness rather than exxxtreme weighting, why did I get the same events (with maybe 2-3 "different" ones out of 12, the others being the same 2-3 events on repeat) on 4 children in a row?

If you think that's ok great, it doesn't feel great to me though. I'd really like some randomness in there, maybe not to the level that reddit guy suggests but if you're forcing me to take 1 out of 3 choices (or 2, or even no choice if the event repeats enough times since you can't get a trait you already have, so if you're impatient and gluttonous already and you get the shy/gluttonous/impatient AGAIN, better get used to being shy for the entire kid's lifetime) and don't let me change those for the lifetime of the character, at the very least you should make sure those 1 out of 3 events don't repeat themselves all the time. Or if they do repeat, give me an extra stressful choice to say "you know what, reroll the dice here because we've already had this event last time" and get a different set of 3 choices... At the very least the game should be a bit more transparent about how the events are weighted and why you get some specific choices (like the "this option is available because of your high Diplomacy score" thing, only "this option is available / this event happened because the tutor is Vengeful" or whatever so you can at least learn and choose a better tutor or just know what to expect next time maybe? If having some specific combo of traits always results in the same education event firing constantly and killing off all the other possible events 95% of the time, it should be noted somehow otherwise people will think it's just bad RNG.

Another reddit post on the issue (a bit outdated maybe, it's from 2021) says:

quote:

all the events have weight multipliers which make them more likely to happen if the guardian has one of the relevant traits, example: child_personality.0001 (lazy, craven or arbitraty) has:

code:
weight_multiplier = {
	base = 1
		modifier = {
			add = 2
			any_relation = {
				type = guardian
				OR = {
					has_trait = craven
					has_trait = lazy
					has_trait = arbitrary
				}
			}
		}
	}
so it's thrice as likely to fire if the guardian has one of the options, also, if I'm understaing correctly, some of these events have requirements to fire, the one above, along with event 5 (wrathful, forgiving or fickle) require a bully (so it's probably a good idea to have your heir's bullies assassinated, given that none of these are really great traits)

Events 6 and 8 (the ones that include chaste and lustful as options) can only fire after age thirteen, event 6 in particular also has lower base weight (.25 instead of 1), but on top of the +2 from the guardian there's an extra weight modifier (+1 to event 6 if the child has a crush that doesn't have a crush on them, picking the vengeful or chaste options will also make the child lose the crush, stubborn will not)

Event 9 (brave, calm or zealous) has an associated child_preacher trigger, which requires a separate child over the age of 4 that doesn't have cynical to be designated preacher, and there's a 50% chance that this event will result in the child in question and the child preacher becoming friends

I mean this all sounds nice and dandy, but it's also completely obfuscated from the player, who then feels those things happen at random or under some weight they don't really know how to calculate, influence or mitigate except by trial and error assigning different tutors (if that works and doesn't suffer from RNG presenting weird choices to the AI and the AI choosing weirdly, too). That kinda sucks even more than the CK1 style choices because at least the randomness there is exposed, and you KNOW you're going to get one of those 3 traits outlined in the choice you pick even if you don't know which one, and they can be good or bad in the same choice so you can actually waffle over them, make an informed decision and "roll the dice" with a bit more confidence while still not being 100% sure that things will go your way or sometimes just getting a bunch of bad choices/bad rolls and rolling with it because "maybe next time if I get the same event I'll be luckier". I would see it as an overall improvement as far as player-facing information goes, and this kind of game lives on having readily available information because just taking "random" choices all the time would not be that fun, to me at least. Again it's not that I want things to always go according to plan, but I *have* to be able to make a plan and have a reasonable, non-completely-RNG way of trying to stick to it.

Anyway just making the education process less obscure in general without having to keep a wiki page or reddit post constantly open would be nice, especially since inheritance is such a central part of the game and being able to try to somewhat shape your heirs as you want (not in a "the kid will 100% be what I want" way, as said, no one wants that I think) is something both historical and that would make for good gameplay.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 17, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I really just want a way to change traits as an adult. I’m not the same person at 40 as I was at 14, so why are characters locked into these traits for life?

A nice thing would be for us to work on changing a trait instead of working on lifestyle perks. Like let me work on getting rid of this Shy trait for 5 years. Seems like it would be a decent sacrifice for making a change like that.

I feel the same way about traits from stress events too. Like I get one bad week and all of a sudden I’m irritable for the rest of my life, even if I never get stressed out ever again.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Bird in a Blender posted:

I really just want a way to change traits as an adult. I’m not the same person at 40 as I was at 14, so why are characters locked into these traits for life?

A nice thing would be for us to work on changing a trait instead of working on lifestyle perks. Like let me work on getting rid of this Shy trait for 5 years. Seems like it would be a decent sacrifice for making a change like that.

I feel the same way about traits from stress events too. Like I get one bad week and all of a sudden I’m irritable for the rest of my life, even if I never get stressed out ever again.

This is a nice idea too. The inflexibility in changing your character, not even for some kind of currency/time sink/opportunity cost, is a bit much; you can usually only pile on bonus perks and get better (ridiculously so at times) - or worse if you happen to become maimed or lunatic for example - but you can never really *change* even when it might make sense. For instance, a compassionate character that blows up with stress when some rival murders his wife or son, instead of just becoming irritable might get vengeful replacing compassionate on top? And then you can work on removing unwanted traits like that with the help of friends, court tutor, "quests" (event chains) or whatever. It would be less of a life sentence and more of a "ugh now it'll be a pain to fix this"

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
It would be nice if it somehow reflected your character's history. Like if you're constantly partying as Shy and you're not dying from stress, perhaps Shy could be removed/replaced. Or if you're spending decades murdering people as Compassionate and so on.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
High stress levels allow you to get new (malicious) traits, yes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I saw that the King of Italy's army size dropped a lot and that he no longer had a liege of his own so I declared war for the duchy of Corsica and dragged my two small marriage allies with me. We got to around 51% and then captured the King, and now his heir jumped in who was King of France or some drat thing and his army was about twice the size of mine. I decided to get out with a white peace that turned my fabricated claim into a pressed claim so at least my heir will be able to keep up the struggle for Corsica.

This is also when I realized that I could change my focus from Intrigue and start picking up perks from other skills. Had no idea I could do that. Ah well live and learn. At least now I have enough piety that I can try picking off one of the small counties in North Africa, although I doubt I'll be able to hold it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I saw that the King of Italy's army size dropped a lot and that he no longer had a liege of his own so I declared war for the duchy of Corsica and dragged my two small marriage allies with me. We got to around 51% and then captured the King, and now his heir jumped in who was King of France or some drat thing and his army was about twice the size of mine. I decided to get out with a white peace that turned my fabricated claim into a pressed claim so at least my heir will be able to keep up the struggle for Corsica.

This is also when I realized that I could change my focus from Intrigue and start picking up perks from other skills. Had no idea I could do that. Ah well live and learn. At least now I have enough piety that I can try picking off one of the small counties in North Africa, although I doubt I'll be able to hold it.

Shouldn't you have had 100% war score after capturing your opponent?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Not that I can see. I've done that twice now to the same guy (when my first war attempt failed I restarted from an earlier save) and both times his liege took over even though the King I captured was the target of the war.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

If you have a lot of intrigue perks, then I'd suggest try to murder some people. One of the best times to declare war on someone is right when a new king is crowned because they probably don't have many alliances, and their own vassals might be getting ready to start a rebellion, which will occupy them. Your murder chances might still be pretty low, so it might not be an option, but at least worth looking at. Although if the king of France is heir to the kingdom of Italy, you might end up making things worse for yourself, so make sure you don't accidentally put an even stronger person on the throne.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Not that I can see. I've done that twice now to the same guy (when my first war attempt failed I restarted from an earlier save) and both times his liege took over even though the King I captured was the target of the war.

Can you post a screenshot next time? Something's wacky here, because capturing your opponent is always 100% war score for you, so this implies either you're executing the king or the king you're capturing is not the target of your war.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

The CK launcher has been broken for me for ages now, forcing me to launch via the game executable instead, and I was wondering if anyone had seen this before and had a fix that works? I've tried reinstalling both the game and the launcher, clearing the launcher cache etc, with no luck. The game works fine, but the launcher just refuses to play ball.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

Can you post a screenshot next time? Something's wacky here, because capturing your opponent is always 100% war score for you, so this implies either you're executing the king or the king you're capturing is not the target of your war.

If it happens again, sure. The new owner of Italy and liege for the corsicans is Bavaria. France is out of the picture.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Historically.. weren’t crissbowmen a hard counter to heavy infantry? I feel like late medieval should see a big swing in MaA to crossbowmen and heavy cavalry which might promote light cav and pikemen as a underfunded counter to the “meta” builds. Or idk just make it so that regionally there’s some hard win metas and the borders of those regions are flavor chaos.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

I only want the best for my kids. That's why I marry them to each other.

Ftfy

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Historically.. weren’t crissbowmen a hard counter to heavy infantry? I feel like late medieval should see a big swing in MaA to crossbowmen and heavy cavalry which might promote light cav and pikemen as an underfunded counter to the “meta” builds.

Nope, I just made that up for some reason. I blame medieval total war I think I got that from that game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Crossbowmen weren’t really a counter but they were a big threat to anything.

When the Mongols invaded they were the only unit that really gave them any pause

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Crossbowmen weren’t really a counter but they were a big threat to anything.

When the Mongols invaded they were the only unit that really gave them any pause

Invaded where? I haven't really heard about crossbows giving the Mongols any particular unexpected issue. Chinese infantry had used mixed formations of spearmen (with shields) and crossbows for hundreds of years, and those combined with allied/hired steppe cavalry had really been the main way they attempted to enage steppe nomads (and again you shouldn't really think of the Mongols as fighting in a fundamentally different way from earlier steppe nomads).

Crossbows, in various forms, were known and used all over Eurasia in any case. Crossbows are good because they are alot easier to use, especially in that you can aim without tiring yourself, than bows. A crossbow isn't necessarily going to have to be stronger than a bow or difficult to draw either, though due to how they work and that the string is not held back by by you, but by the mechanism of the weapon, you can also make them very powerful with heavy draws that require winches and stirrups and such.

Tactically the advantage of crossbows are basically the same as any other missile weapon and it's also worth noting that both movies and video games tend to not really accurately portray how for instance archers actually fought. Most notably that archetypical "indirect volley" or rain of arrows is more or less fantasy, archers with bows, as with crossbow would almost always shoot level at their target, at ranges that were much closer than we often assume (at maximum range they are not going to be very effective or accurate), "arced" shooting happened, but was relatively rare, mostly just harassment to provoke attack or maneuver, and often a waste of arrows (which was a consideration), and there really wasn't anything that would have made regular bows better at doing this than any crossow, simple or complex.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

Not only did it happen again but I fought an extra war (as a treat) and it happened there too. After the wars the person I fought against is still there, still in power. No one is dying, didn't capture anyone this time, the game just decides that anytime I get close to winning to pass the war to a more powerful enemy so I have to give up. There were no notifications prior to this one besides the usual domestic stuff.

EDIT: I was about to start a war for the county to the west but realized that it was in a different duchy, but that the county to the south is the only other one in the same duchy. So if I can grab it I can create the duchy and then the vassals in those counties will stop complaining that I'm not their dejure liege.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What probably happened is that your target lost another war against one of his neighbors and got subjugated a result.