Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Now there's a system I engaged with a total of once, saw the benefits and how long they lasted, then never bothered with it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think I ate food once. Aloy just subsisted on medicinal berries for a month.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are a few things I would change about the combat for Horizon 3. The first would be to combine the effects of fire/plasma and acid/purgewater so that you just have 4 main elemental types again. The second would be letting the player choose a playstyle for Aloy right at the start with a preset valor surge + outfit and a complementary loadout of the main weapon types and tools you'll be using so that people don't think they need to use absolutely everything for every build. So picking a Warrior path at the start gives you a Warrior Bow + Shredder, Machine Master gives you a Spike Thrower + Ropecaster, etc. I like the complexity of the combat but the game kind of punishes trying to be a generalist like in Zero Dawn, where there was really only one way to be good.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
One thing HZD did better was weapon bloat. HZD basically only had two weapons at every level, the one with damage ammo and the one with elemental ammo. It worked.

FW got so, so bloated with weapons and ammo types that even with my preferred loadout I wasn't using half the ammo types I didn't like. I'd prefer it if they let you actually swap out ammo types on weapons so you didn't have to upgrade two bows because one bow had frost and the other had acid but you couldn't just put both on one bow and replace, like, the plasma or berserk arrows you never touched and save a weapon slot

Let me get a weapon and personally slot what ammo I want on it. You can even make it so I have to buy/create the ammo the first time before it unlocks. Can't use plasma ammo till I do a sidequest? Sure, fine with that. I just want to customize my bow ammo.

Would cut down on the weapons and grind and let you make a far more custom aloy and ignore what stuff you don't use easier

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 14, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I would change hardly anything about FW's combat and build structure, maybe consolidate a few of the elements or whatever. But yeah, it's a hardcore action rpg that wants the player to engage with its mechanics on many levels. I like that. Looking back to some of the half-baked stuff in HZD makes me realize how hazy the vision was for that game, like it looks as if they had built all sorts of systems that they just stripped out of the game at the last second because they weren't entirely clear what their vision was for the gameplay other than aping MonHun. Forbidden West feels fully like its own thing.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I dunno, I get that it can be a bit daunting at first, but I was watching a friend play Zero Dawn the other day and I was astounded at the number of things in that game's system design and menus that were just half-assed due to time restrictions. The best part of Zero Dawn is the late game story beats, but mechanically/systematically everything about Forbidden West is more cohesive and considered than the first game. I think you'll adapt eventually. Don't listen to the haters, there's a lot of people that talk about Horizon games in bad faith.

I mean I’m at level 35 so I’m *mostly* into it, I’m just still baffled that I have to go to skill tree to equip valour surges (where half the time I hit the wrong button and end up accidentally upgrading them instead of equipping them). Or that I have to keep picking up loving berries and they my health doesent refill even a little bit from stopping at a campfire. Or how bad the enemy direction indicator is to the point where sometimes the best way to clear the last enemies from a rebel camp is to just wander dumbly into the center till someone shoots at you and you can try to figure out from shot direction where they are.

The game kinda feels like they spent a lot of time making it beautiful and in the process ended up hard coding themselves into things where a gameplay designer should have stepped in earlier and said “no, bad”

massive spider fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 14, 2023

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Jimbot posted:

I can count the times I've used those pullcaster lines to launch myself into the air or whatever in any given fight on a single hand. I never found them useful
I remember having fun with them in the base game, particularly after learning to do them effectively in that Hunting Grounds where they were required

unfortunately when I came back for Burning Shores I couldn't figure out how to do the thing reliably and didn't bother looking it up so it was back to hiding behind rocks for me

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

you just press the o button twice and then hold it, it's a loving sick rear end mechanic

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I remember this in-depth interview with John Gonzalez a while back, where he was explaining his day-to-day experience with HZD. He saw his role as not only writing the story and the dialogue, but in constantly aligning on the player experience with designers and engineers. Wouldn't be shocked if that's a reason why he left before HFW shipped. Maybe he got tired of negotiating - or even needing to argue, if the other folks were being stubborn.

Forgot where exactly I am in Burning Shores, but I don't have a strong desire to revisit it. The initial fight with 3 Waterwings was 100% not fun, and the verticality of the island design plays to the weakest parts of HFW's traversal. Plus, I'm not really feeling Seyka. Something about the VO's performance feels off, like their intonation and emphasis doesn't match the situation at the time of delivery. It stands out that much more in conversations with Aloy, since Burch comes through as a matter of course.

Overall it feels like HFW tried to do more than HZD. While the individual parts are often good, for me they don't come together as well. While it might be a coincidence, I felt the same way about GoW Ragnarok. Maybe it's weird pressure from someone at Sony. Either way, I hope it doesn't happen again moving forward.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I think the biggest game-changing hidden mechanics for me in hfw was these:

1. Knockdowns, and which ammo has strong enough KDP to consistently cause them when hit in the right bodyparts (usually the legs except for winged or legless machines)
2. The quickdraw mechanic
3. Learning what damage types certain coils boost and dont boost where it isnt obvious from the coils stated effect, usually the conditional coils like overdraw, concentration, 25% X conditional damage and stuff like Damage over time coils.
4. Quick-swap, mainly to avoid the clumsy dodge when dodging with a boltblaster equipped.

Probably forgetting some. And then there are more minor ones that still have good QoL, like popping a smokebomb not to far from where a shellsnapper is burrowing forces it to the surface.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 14, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Finishing up the delvers and upgrading weapons in Burning Shores.

Just look at all this poo poo.

To say nothing of all the funky arrow types and poo poo.
Maybe if these things had interactions with each other it'd be fun. Like burning adhesive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I was raised to gaming maturity on HoMM III, no amount of resource icons will ever intimidate me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Preach.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Maybe if these things had interactions with each other it'd be fun. Like burning adhesive.

There is one interaction. The purgewater state increases shock and frost build-up. That's the only one I can think of though. It would be neat if you could force the plasma explosion to happen early by starting another effect but that probably just overwrites it and plasma is bad anyway.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
Been replaying HZD on Ultra Hard and I like the simplicity of combat. Stealth is really necessary and I actually use traps. Menus are clean and easy to navigate.

I think the only thing I miss is focus ping.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Focus ping is good, but also means you're going to be spending tons of time with the world covered in yellow lines instead of actually looking at it. Kind of a bummer imo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Huragok posted:

Been replaying HZD on Ultra Hard and I like the simplicity of combat. Stealth is really necessary and I actually use traps. Menus are clean and easy to navigate.

I think the only thing I miss is focus ping.

TFW has a lot of cool traps and add ons but man trying to find what you want if you don't curate that list. I don't know what a better option would be but it pretty much made me only use a couple different trap types

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The D-Pad menu is the one complaint about this game I've never really understood. If you hold down and hit cancel on an item, you will never see it again as long as you don't put them back in your stash. Unlike HZD, you can customize the exact order and priority of your items. I keep smoke bombs centered, with traps/spear canisters to the left and mounts to the right, for instance. The only kind of annoying thing is that if you refill all items from the stash instead of only resources, your unselected traps will return, but that's easily fixed. It's literally better than Zero Dawn's potions that gave you no control over the order and amount of your consumables.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

One of the points I liked from Voidburger's video on Horizon is that the fidelity really made it very hard to see the handholds in the game, which I wholly agreed with. It felt like an unforced error where the design and art teams weren't exactly on the same page where the climbing stuff was concerned. They really just need to go full AssCreed climbing in the third game. There's no excuse to use telegraphed hand-holds anymore in the open world. They're fine in enclosed, curated spaces (where the climbing is at its best in Forbidden West) but out in the world it'll just cut down on the janky nonsense.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FilthyImp posted:

This reads as way more complicated than it actually is.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
ok ive had it with this game and comedy level 30 thunderjaws/rockbreakers/polar bears that pop out on sidequests that begin with "lets go get some level 18 ravager hearts"

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

ok ive had it with this game and comedy level 30 thunderjaws/rockbreakers/polar bears that pop out on sidequests that begin with "lets go get some level 18 ravager hearts"

tbf those quest bosses are usually nerfed compared to the ones you find in the wild. That thunderjaw has like at most, half the HP of a wild TJ.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

The D-Pad menu is the one complaint about this game I've never really understood. If you hold down and hit cancel on an item, you will never see it again as long as you don't put them back in your stash. Unlike HZD, you can customize the exact order and priority of your items. I keep smoke bombs centered, with traps/spear canisters to the left and mounts to the right, for instance. The only kind of annoying thing is that if you refill all items from the stash instead of only resources, your unselected traps will return, but that's easily fixed. It's literally better than Zero Dawn's potions that gave you no control over the order and amount of your consumables.

My problem was I only learned you could remove stuff from this forum, not the game, when I was 90% of the way through the game. And I only learned you could customize the order from this post. The discoverability of the UI and game systems, which are way more complex than HZD, sucks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I also didn't notice it until near the end and even then found the way it was handled pretty confusing.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Yeah, even after having rinsed a bunch of items it still can be stressful to toggle when youre in the thick of it. Also i should unequip rocks, always think they could be useful sometimes but only use it once in a blue moon. I keep mounts, elite traps (except blast traps), smokebombs and 3 different potions, but could probably do away with the traps most of the time and only equip on occassion since they dont get used constantly. Lifesaver in the arena though.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 16, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Falukorv posted:

Yeah, even after having rinsed a bunch of items it still can be stressful to toggle when youre in the thick of it. Also i should unequip rocks, always think they could be useful sometimes but only use it once in a blue moon. I keep mounts, elite traps (except blast traps), smokebombs and 3 different potions, but could probably do away with the traps most of the time and only equip on occassion since they dont get used constantly. Lifesaver in the arena though.

Whereas I use rocks a ton, great for stealth kills. I think it's hilarious that you can hold a ton of them, Aloy running around with 100 rocks in her pockets

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Medullah posted:

Whereas I use rocks a ton, great for stealth kills. I think it's hilarious that you can hold a ton of them, Aloy running around with 100 rocks in her pockets

If you turn on auto-pickup your rock count will skyrocket. I have like 600 something of them.

My issue with the ui is that I can't use traps without putting them on the menu, and that you can't remove food. Let me use those things from my inventory.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Olothreutes posted:

If you turn on auto-pickup your rock count will skyrocket. I have like 600 something of them.

My issue with the ui is that I can't use traps without putting them on the menu, and that you can't remove food. Let me use those things from my inventory.

I think you can, if you put the food in your stash before unequipping it from the toolbar.

In other news, new patch is out and i cant believe they fixed the lvl 101 unmarked spawns bug. Sucks that im on ps4, as it seems they disengaged completely from patching it since 1.18.
Im happy with that if they just could fix the spawnbug there as well. Cant be a big fix, some changes to base-game code they already applied to the ps5, and it is such a immersion-breaking bug, imo it shouldnt stand with how much it affects the landscape and core gameplay loop.

My only option is to never reach lvl 101. Either by doing a ng+ from my Original lvl 50 NG, or never saving your sessions once youre near lvl 100.
I did my first UH on my NG++ run, and stayed on UH because i found it to be my preferred difficulty. But reached 101 in the UH postgame mopping up the last activities. So immersionbreaking that i did a fresh UH ng+ again but from my original 1st playthrough (instead of a ng++ like previously) so i could have a UH save that ended on a good distance from lvl 101 once all the activities and quests were completed.

I know i sound insane, but spawnbug really puts a damper on the open world of this game.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 17, 2023

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Patch fixed the non-functioning aerial capture bug for me. Finally got to see the rest of that one woman's story.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Nothing will beat HZD's vista story (gameplay-wise yeah burning shores is more thrilling). But man was the background lore to HFWs vistas disappointing in comparison. Basically stuff we already heard from Liz before.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 17, 2023

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Falukorv posted:

Nothing will beat HZD's vista story (gameplay-wise yeah burning shores is more thrilling). But man was the background lore to HFWs vistas disappointing in comparison. Basically stuff we already heard from Liz before.

The one from HZD was a highlight for me too

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The Spectre Gauntlet is great and overpowered, but I still want coil slots in it!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Olothreutes posted:

Today I learned that you can autopickup rocks.

I only ever really use rocks and mounts. Health potions if I'm desperate. I basically never press the down button unless I want to fly somewhere.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Anything in the world that doesn't require holding a button will be grabbed by the autopickup if you have inventory space. Machine parts, rocks, dye plants, berries, Ridgewood. Since the limits on some of those are 10,000 you grab them forever. Another neat thing is that the auto system will grab items when you otherwise can't, like during a slide.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Riven posted:

My problem was I only learned you could remove stuff from this forum, not the game, when I was 90% of the way through the game. And I only learned you could customize the order from this post. The discoverability of the UI and game systems, which are way more complex than HZD, sucks.
Thinking how Death Stranding using the same engine had the "you can see BTs if you stop moving for a second" tutorial prompt show in postgame or never show for some people. Maybe Decima just needs at least one feature like that or the games won't build :tinfoil:

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
My one issue with the hunter’s kit (the d-pad quick bar thingy) is that if I remove everything I don’t use like traps from it and then remove traps from my inventory, if I get one from looting a box or a person or replenish everything from my stash, it gets placed back onto my hunter’s kit. The only way to keep it from automatically going back into my hunters kit is to keep those items in my inventory.

Similarly, I use stamina and health potions exclusively now that I’m using the warrior’s bow. I don’t have potions for status effects or the weaker health and stamina potions. If I happen to use a potion and don’t immediately craft a new one, I’ll have one open slot that will get filled with any other potion that I pick up from a random rebel or cultist.

They need to stream down the hunters kit in the third game. Have five slots total that we can select what goes into it. New items shouldn’t be automatically added.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think a basic Dark Souls style item use inventory where I can just clearly equip what i want instead of funneling through and rearranging the things I don't want would have been much better. It defaults to something unmanageable and getting it to be manageable is a pain in the rear end and almost not worth it, because there's almost nothing worth using in the inventory aside from flying mounts.

I liked the game quite a lot for the most part, but given the chance I would torch the entire inventory and weapons system to the ground and start over.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

theCalamity posted:

They need to stream down the hunters kit in the third game. Have five slots total that we can select what goes into it. New items shouldn’t be automatically added.

Yeah, it's far too bloated and fiddly to manage and tidy. And when you need something you discover it's been auto-filled with all sorts of traps and elemental canisters and poo poo you never use.
Oh poo poo, I'm on fire, where's my purge water? scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll, oops missed it, scroll-scroll-scroll...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Are there any outfits which are must upgrades from TBS? I'm looking at resources to upgrade everything and it's absurd. I pretty much live in the Nora Thunder Armor, but it doesn't look easy to compare that to the new stuff unless you're at a vendor.

Edit - Do you need pouch upgrade resources in NG+?

Medullah fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Medullah posted:

Are there any outfits which are must upgrades from TBS? I'm looking at resources to upgrade everything and it's absurd. I pretty much live in the Nora Thunder Armor, but it doesn't look easy to compare that to the new stuff unless you're at a vendor.

Edit - Do you need pouch upgrade resources in NG+?

Pouches are the same size, so if you have them at max already you won't need to change them.

The thunder warrior and quen marine (I think) are nearly the same, with the same resistances and weaknesses and only two different perks. Once you coil it the difference is very nearly cosmetic only. You might find it better if you don't use the heavy weapon perk a lot?

The deadeye armor is good but lacks the weapon stamina buffs and that really hampers it imo. Low profile is not worth that trade.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 18, 2023