Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Writing a clause in my will to fund a trust to run a cluster of accounts permanently logged in and /dancing in Limsa and the Saucer, continuing for as long as the servers are live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The NieR stuff I enjoyed, with the caveat that walking through the spaces to get all the optional stuff can take a while (I've had the experience of dropping down one level only to notice something above me that requires me to teleport all the way back to the start... and well I'm not going to not get it).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vermain posted:

My dumb hope is that whatever singleplayer-compatible version of FFXIV we eventually end up with a million years down the line either allows some kind of P2P setup or simulates enough players running around to make the world feel like it was in its heydey. I wanna be able to come back to Eorzea when I'm old and grey and not have it feel like a dead mall.

Goat Simulator's MMO expansion did this beautifully from a satirical angle, your chatbox was randomly spammed with shouts from gold sellers and newbies LFG, and you had "other player" goats standing around on high places that are hard to get to or running about doing basic MMO things.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
My favorite raise macro I ever saw was one that was a parody of gold sellers back in ARR/HW, yeah. :allears:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
So I made it to patch 2.4 now. I read all the dialogue/watched all the cutscenes. The story so far has been so bad I've been laughing with disbelief at what I am seeing. None of the characters I have met so far have had any personality or relatability. I still have no idea who any of these people are and why should I care about them. The boss lady who seemingly does nothing but sit in her office all day is the worst. Your character, literally the most important/powerful person in the universe, amounts to nothing but being her errand boy. The stakes are non-existent since nobody is in any danger, ever. The big bads are apparently moustache-twirling villains straight out of an early morning kids show.

Now I do hear the story does get better in the expansions. I will soldier on but so far I fail to see how are they going to make me care about any of this.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

idk if you'll like the rest but you've definitely seen the worst of it

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I mean if you don't care don't bother

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I mean if you don't care don't bother

I dunno, if somebody has suffered right to the point where things are about to get better, maybe they should tough it out a bit longer. It's not like they're feeling slogged down at MSQ 40.

If they don't like anything in HW then yeah time to move on.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The errand boy comment is already a pretty big thing that I think suggests you're not going to like the story's focus on how doing the little things for people is as important as the big things, and you're not above doing errands and chores for people just because you're the Warrior of Light chosen by Hydaelyn (which you've met at least one other person who claims to have been chosen by Hydaelyn as well, heck so does Minfilia, for different things admittedly).

You're not even the most powerful person in ARR (you almost die to Lahabrea and need actual divine intervention to save your life which is implied to have drained said divine source of intervention to the point she can't do it anymore). Reading what they've said, they're not even interested in some of the basic repeating principles of how the Warrior of Light is presented and acts.

Edit: Like, yes ARR is the weakest bit of the story, but the weakness in ARR has always been the length it took for things to happen, and the presentation/narrative having some awkward stuff. Not the basic "this is who the Warrior of Light is, an adventurer who helps people with tasks big and small". The Scions are a little bland, but helping them is pretty much what you should/would be doing because they're the people whose mission directly relates to your uniqueness (they're studying the Echo/Blessing of Light/Primals).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 17, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lord_Magmar posted:

The errand boy comment is already a pretty big thing that I think suggests you're not going to like the story's focus on how doing the little things for people is as important as the big things, and you're not above doing errands and chores for people just because you're the Warrior of Light chosen by Hydaelyn (which you've met at least one other person who claims to have been chosen by Hydaelyn as well, heck so does Minfilia, for different things admittedly).

You're not even the most powerful person in ARR (you almost die to Lahabrea and need actual divine intervention to save your life which is implied to have drained said divine source of intervention to the point she can't do it anymore). Reading what they've said, they're not even interested in some of the basic repeating principles of how the Warrior of Light is presented and acts.

I almost wanna see them keep going just so I can see how their take continues to skew, but yeah, they're not gonna enjoy doing it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, definitely don't force yourself to keep going if you're not feeling it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
IMO, there is a specific Thing that happens in the 2.5 content. You'll know it when it happens. If that Thing fails to grab or interest you in any way then put the game down, you're done.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I mean, there's stuff to like in the game even if you don't like the story (which is an understandable reaction to the story). If that's enough to make you want to keep playing is up to you.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

fwiw I was cringing through ARR and two expansions later I was developing strategies on how to continue fighting when my eyes were filled with tears because the game so effectively and so consistently pulled on my heartstrings Tsukuyomi

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Haha yeah, the Me that was 90% of the way through ARR wouldn't believe the Me that cried after the 5.3 trial in ShB.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

God Hole posted:

fwiw I was cringing through ARR and two expansions later I was developing strategies on how to continue fighting when my eyes were filled with tears because the game so effectively and so consistently pulled on my heartstrings Tsukuyomi

Comments like this are exactly why I want to keep going.

And these:

So far there is absolutely nothing suggesting the story is about to become interesting, but I haven't even made it to the first expansion. I will definitely at least play through it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The story gets much better and its stakes keep getting bigger but you will always be an errand boy because helping people with their problems is built into your soul (not literally but it may as well be)

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

1stGear posted:

IMO, there is a specific Thing that happens in the 2.5 content. You'll know it when it happens. If that Thing fails to grab or interest you in any way then put the game down, you're done.

I think if you're looking for a litmus test for "is this game for me?" this is a totally legit one. It was the moment that pulled ARR together for me and, combined with shall we say enthusiastic recommendations, piqued my curiosity about what the future had in store.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

The WoL essentially just becomes Superman, where being the most powerful person in the universe but stopping to help a cat stuck in a tree is a significant portion of their personality, and the hope and friendship this endless font of good vibes inspires in others is a large part of the plot. Overall, it's a relatively normal anime shonen plot. If you don't like that kind of thing, though, it's not really great.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mr. Neutron posted:

And these:

So far there is absolutely nothing suggesting the story is about to become interesting, but I haven't even made it to the first expansion. I will definitely at least play through it.

I was curt earlier, but yeah there are pretty much two groups. People who like ARR for all its flaws and people who the game begins with the patch quests leading up to the first expac. I hope you'll be in the later!

The community kind of has a light schism here. You'll have people yelling to everyone who starts how much ARR sucks and then the other people who say if you give people that negative impression they're more likely to come away unhappy.

ARR is basically world building. The characters,even the city state leaders, all come into their own later. I think a lot has to do with every VA being replaced after ARR

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 17, 2023

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Lisztless posted:

I think if you're looking for a litmus test for "is this game for me?" this is a totally legit one. It was the moment that pulled ARR together for me and, combined with shall we say enthusiastic recommendations, piqued my curiosity about what the future had in store.

Yeah Ill third that. For me that's when the story went from tolerable to actually being interesting.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, the story is very much jrpg tropes all throughout, so if jrpgs aren't generally your thing, it may not be for you. That said, it tells a jrpg story so well that many people love it for the major plot beats that have huge payoffs later.

ARR and the 2.x content basically set up the stakes for the story as a whole and it's boring yes (partly because 1-50 is done as "your first mmo" type tutorializing), but this is all groundwork for stories that pay off in endwalker so fantastically.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

DelphiAegis posted:

ARR and the 2.x content basically set up the stakes for the story as a whole and it's boring yes (partly because 1-50 is done as "your first mmo" type tutorializing), but this is all groundwork for stories that pay off in endwalker so fantastically.

100%

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FFXIV is at its core high melodrama battle shounen.

e:
The less pejorative way of putting it I’ve seen is “operatic” but I stand by my first statement.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 17, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Blade Runner posted:

The WoL essentially just becomes Superman Captain Eorzea

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

doing mindless chores for people in ARR: gently caress off! I should've just let Leviathan's wave wash you all away
doing mindless chores for people in EW: Please. I need this.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
doing mindless chores for people in Heavensward: Are you tired of being nice? Don't you just want to go ape shitt

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The main story narrative starts getting good around patch 2.4 so you're in about the right place.

The environmental storytelling starts getting Really Good about halfway through the patch 2.4 trial fight (turn the volume all the way up).

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Lisztless posted:

The "Seven Hells!" in that bit is outstanding. Definitely the first time the game really ramps up, and I'd say a good payoff for the relatively boring 2.x content prior.

I also think the voice actor change up on HW, while a bit jarring at first, is a huge boon to the main cast. The new VAs are really good.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 17, 2023

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Mr. Neutron posted:

And these:

That headline is hyperbolic for the purpose of driving clicks. The story is good for an mmo. If you digest narratives outside of video games or shonen anime don’t expect to be blown away.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the crux of the issue is that the true statement "ff14 has the best writing square-enix has ever produced" is describing a very limited category

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Firebert posted:

That headline is hyperbolic for the purpose of driving clicks. The story is good for an mmo. If you digest narratives outside of video games or shonen anime don’t expect to be blown away.

True, but for the record it is very good, like "one of the best JRPG stories I've ever seen" good. But yeah it absolutely takes a while to get going and I think the Thing that happens in the ARR patch content is a good litmus test for how on board you are.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The community kind of has a light schism here. You'll have people yelling to everyone who starts how much ARR sucks and then the other people who say if you give people that negative impression they're more likely to come away unhappy.

That is the thing that always drives me crazy.

Like, if someone comes in and says "I'm at <x> amount of the way through ARR and this is boring" then I think it's fine to for someone to say "Don't worry, a lot of people find ARR boring." (Personally, I loved ARR)

What drives me crazy is when someone comes into the thread saying "I'm curious about trying this game" and ten people jump in to say "JUST KNOW THE FIRST 50-60 HOURS OF STORY SUCKS!" That poo poo makes me so angry and I've seen it happen so many times.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FFXIV is a marathon. I know a guy who got all the way to Shadowbringers in a month or two of playing, started the expansion, and went "I don't really get what the buzz is about so far" at around 1/3 through and I had to tell him it was a slow build.

Anyway, a few weeks later I saw him post a tattoo he got of the Shadowbringers logo.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

That is the thing that always drives me crazy.

Like, if someone comes in and says "I'm at <x> amount of the way through ARR and this is boring" then I think it's fine to for someone to say "Don't worry, a lot of people find ARR boring." (Personally, I loved ARR)

What drives me crazy is when someone comes into the thread saying "I'm curious about trying this game" and ten people jump in to say "JUST KNOW THE FIRST 50-60 HOURS OF STORY SUCKS!" That poo poo makes me so angry and I've seen it happen so many times.

Yeah the power of suggestion can be very real, and I'm sure soured a few people on what they otherwise wouldn't have minded or even liked.

Arist posted:

FFXIV is a marathon. I know a guy who got all the way to Shadowbringers in a month or two of playing, started the expansion, and went "I don't really get what the buzz is about so far" at around 1/3 through and I had to tell him it was a slow build.

Anyway, a few weeks later I saw him post a tattoo he got of the Shadowbringers logo.

Lol that's great

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I feel like it should be taken as a given that when people say XIV has a great story, they are implying the context that it is a great story for a jrpg / mmo. If the writing was Academy Award or Pulitzer -worthy the game would have way more cultural exposure than it already does.

It does have interesting things to say sometimes and there's some real tearjerker moments but mostly it's pulpy fun that improves in quality as the game progresses.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
A big part of the pulpy fun is also that they get way better at the theatrics of it all. The music, framing the scenes, integrating gameplay into the story elements... they get really, really good at getting you pumped up for what's going on.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

God Hole posted:

doing mindless chores for people in ARR: gently caress off! I should've just let Leviathan's wave wash you all away
doing mindless chores for people in EW: Please. I need this.

Saint Freak posted:

doing mindless chores for people in Heavensward: Are you tired of being nice? Don't you just want to go ape shitt
doing mindless chores for people in Shadowbringers:

e: But yes, ARR and its patch content suffers from a severe case of MMO Story. 2.5 is where we start seeing that all the mustache-twirling villains might have actual motivations and they could actually clash with the heroes in interesting ways if we only knew about them. Heavensward is where they start showing us those motivations, and for the rest of the expansions, by the time you get to pushing the big bad's face in, it's almost a sad situation because you know. You know why this has to happen this way. There's no turning them aside.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 17, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I know it's not an original thought, and I have no idea about the numbers involved, but they really need to rebalance ARR / its postgame to be part of the overall Main Storyline Questline better.

That and allow you to, through some Dr Who bullshit, do the other two starting city's lv 01-10 quest line as those are kinda important in terms of establishing the other two city states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

The boss lady who seemingly does nothing but sit in her office all day is the worst. Your character, literally the most important/powerful person in the universe, amounts to nothing but being her errand boy.

at first i thought this was talking about Merlwyb but then I remembered Minfilia exists (and boy i hated her in ARR too lmao)