Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The first two seasons of Ted Lasso are cloying and have some terrible subplots but are perfectly passable, B-/C+ television. This final season has been loving abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Ted Lasso sounds like it sucks. Americans that come to Britain are completely destroyed by the process, how dare they say that those disgusting yank pigs could infect us with optimism. When you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back, it doesn't get seduced by folksy Sub Name Is Earl bullshit.

It's a vanilla pudding cup of a show. The boys are spot-on that the biggest issue is the show bails on culture clash and interpersonal conflict basically immediately.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Henchman of Santa posted:

The first two seasons of Ted Lasso are cloying and have some terrible subplots but are perfectly passable, B-/C+ television. This final season has been loving abysmal.
Is it already ending?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its funny how many of my conservative friends loving love Ted Lasso

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is it already ending?

Yeah, they announced ahead of time that this would be the last season and they made every episode an hour long.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

I’m here for Felix’s new Mongol phase, don’t think we’ve had that before

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Flux Wildly posted:

I’m here for Felix’s new Mongol phase, don’t think we’ve had that before

Horse archers hard to beat tbh.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The first two seasons of Ted Lasso are cloying and have some terrible subplots but are perfectly passable

it's passable alright, in that i passed on it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PostNouveau posted:

It's a vanilla pudding cup of a show.
It's sugar, man!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

porfiria posted:

Horse archers hard to beat tbh.

need a Horse Guy episode of Bryan's podcast

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chive Guys was nauseating

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

totally! like, you’re so right! absolutely

They should’ve made This Is Sus a separate podcast with its own Patreon, with the highest tier being a 5 minute call with Felix’s sister where you can explain an opinion to her and she will agree enthusiastically. They would have made millions.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Gripweed posted:

They should’ve made This Is Sus a separate podcast with its own Patreon, with the highest tier being a 5 minute call with Felix’s sister where you can explain an opinion to her and she will agree enthusiastically. They would have made millions.

absolutely! oh, of course! yes.

it does seem really nice and affirming tho, Felix seems so happy on those eps

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I will not be watching Ted lasso

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

ded asso

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

good name for a new This is Sus

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

“Are you using my jawbone to smote these Jordanians? Because I feel like an rear end right now.” is a top tier Will line

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they were philistines dammit

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I agree with Matt, something seems up with the Silo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

I agree with Matt, something seems up with the Silo

seems normal to me but i guess people will hatch conspiracy theories about anything nowadays

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I only ever read Wool which was a pretty good book and I had no idea they were making a Silo show until they started making fun of it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

seems normal to me but i guess people will hatch conspiracy theories about anything nowadays

I think, and hear me out here, they may have not been entirely sincere about Silo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Heath posted:

I think, and hear me out here, they may have not been entirely sincere about Silo

That’s the point, no one’s telling the truth about the Silo!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I think the silo is nice and normal

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Irony poisoned goons cant comprehend the normal and wholesome Silo smh. Sorry not everyone is a doomer 🙄

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

Irony poisoned goons cant comprehend the normal and wholesome Silo smh. Sorry not everyone is a doomer 🙄

Ty, some people just don't get it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
People just have nothing going on in their own lives and need to talk poo poo about The Silo. Nothing is going on with The Silo! It's totally fine, don't worry about it!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I remember watching Ted Lasso in 2020 and enjoying the absolute lack of tension, the relentless positivity, and the immediate and inevitable conclusion of all conflict.

This is because 2020 was super depressing and scary with Covid, Trump, riots, personal life, etc… I didn’t have much mental or emotional capacity left and watching a show that is the equivalent of SSRIs was kind of nice.

They mention the show being a product of its time and place in a more insidious way as American imperialist positivity propaganda, and I think in 2023 as they enter the 3rd season that’s not wrong. But really most people started watching it for similar reasons to why they watched Tiger King.

I haven’t finished Season 3 yet so dunno how the arc ends. Some folks in here are saying it’s bad.

I also agree the show is flippant in revealing everyone’s trauma and making everyone into a role model of positive masculinity. But if it convinces dudes to talk about their feelings more or go to therapy as a side effect, then that’s a positive. Maybe TV shows aren’t the proper medium to evangelize that message and maybe it’s too heavy handed, but most men are dumb and emotionally stunted (myself included), so you can’t always use a light touch.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I assumed Ted Lasso was about a football coach coaching real football I didn't realize it took place in the UK and he was coaching soccer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Heath posted:

Gripweed posted:

That’s the point, no one’s telling the truth about the Silo!

Seams posted:

I think the silo is nice and normal

The Chad Jihad posted:

Ty, some people just don't get it

People just have nothing going on in their own lives and need to talk poo poo about The Silo. Nothing is going on with The Silo! It's totally fine, don't worry about it!

i've been informed that we need to break down silos and become T shaped individuals

this is a real thing that companies say btw, im not making this up. it's not a bit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Stay out of the Silo. My Perception Box is in there and I don't want you lot messing with it.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

a bit weird how many deep cut apple tv shows they mentioned but not severance?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Halloween Jack posted:

Stay out of the Silo. My Perception Box is in there and I don't want you lot messing with it.

My Bird Box is in there too

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i will not live in the silo. i will not eat the bugs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I assumed Ted Lasso was about a football coach coaching real football I didn't realize it took place in the UK and he was coaching soccer.

Yeah, it requires a big suspension of disbelief. Or just zero understanding of sports.

They try to get around this a bit by having his assistant coach be a savant who understands soccer inside and out despite being an assistant football coach for Ted Lasso in the U.S.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 17, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
There are multiple episodes where the team Ted Lasso is coaching just keep losing, and you would think this would matter but it so does not.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There are multiple episodes where the team Ted Lasso is coaching just keep losing, and you would think this would matter but it so does not.

Well the initial reason he was hired was a Major League-style stunt from the owner who was deliberately tanking the club to spite her ex-husband.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Well the initial reason he was hired was a Major League-style stunt from the owner who was deliberately tanking the club to spite her ex-husband.

I remember season 2 they tried to make it an overarching plot point about how they needed to improve the team or something? But then its like somewhat tossed to the side or its handled in that episode. Can't remember correctly its been a while.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I've always wanted a show without stakes. just hook me up to a dilaudid pump and put on Ted Lasso and let me die peacefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

space uncle posted:

I also agree the show is flippant in revealing everyone’s trauma and making everyone into a role model of positive masculinity. But if it convinces dudes to talk about their feelings more or go to therapy as a side effect, then that’s a positive. Maybe TV shows aren’t the proper medium to evangelize that message and maybe it’s too heavy handed, but most men are dumb and emotionally stunted (myself included), so you can’t always use a light touch.

I don’t watch these shows but hearing about them they sound like they are about the use of trauma as a tool to make people docile. Stop protesting and society will permit your trauma to be acknowledged.

Protesting your trauma means you want something to change. Nothing is allowed to change. Therefore your trauma doesn’t exists because your protests are invalid.