Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Paracaidas posted:

"Okay guys, flipcup, Big Ten vs Ivys" is the single most cursed sentence I've heard at a happy hour and it occurred in Chicago. Total agreement.

I hope you pushed them all into the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I hope you pushed them all into the river.
Sadly, they landed safely on a sightseeing boat.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

That Tillman speech just calls to my inner meatball.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I always found Notre Dame fans in Chicago to be way more obnoxious than any Big 10 fans

I used to casually enjoy Notre Dame sports because I had some good times at that campus, but their fans ruined that goodwill pretty loving quickly.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

SKULL.GIF posted:

Seems to be working okay for the Lions

Lions fans itt may not want to hear this but maybe let’s win a playoff game first. How many times have “The New Look Lions” gotten back to 500 only to fall apart

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

GNU Order posted:

Lions fans itt may not want to hear this but maybe let’s win a playoff game first. How many times have “The New Look Lions” gotten back to 500 only to fall apart

:hmmyes:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GNU Order posted:

Uh, how many times has that happened? The Lions brand is utter futility, with that brief spurt of semi-competence in the Caldwell era. You have to look like you're on the right track in the first place to fall apart.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Lions revamping their culture has been an unambiguous positive for the team, suddenly changing it around to go "What about the playoff win?!" is moving the goalpost.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Detroit is a special case of sad sickness across all sports. Just keeping players showing up at work is a win

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
MCDC has quite the cult of personality around him when you see the players talk about him.

The owner tore down leadership and spent plenty of $$$ to not just find the people who would run the organization, but paid to build a strong staff around them.

Holmes has built a team that should be looking to win the division. There will be an expectation of playoff success, but they're still building to that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Detroit is a special case of sad sickness across all sports. Just keeping players showing up at work is a win

Yeah the NBA lottery really shattered my optimism even for the Lions. I’m down horrendous over here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/startkyIeorton/status/1658834745390759936

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Montgomery occasionally broke out some great plays, but he was the epitome of "three yards and a cloud of dust" with the Bears.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah the NBA lottery really shattered my optimism even for the Lions. I’m down horrendous over here.

oh god i'm sorry. I was talking poo poo about how I was mad the bulls didn't get the #1 pick like with Rose, but detroit falling that far is insane

there's no point even mocking detroit for what they did in '02 (how the hell is lebron still playing). chicago/illinois sports have had one real playoff series win since the '16 cubs champs ('17 cubs over nationals) but detroit hasn't had playoff success since '13 (both wings and tigers got a single playoff win)

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Did swift not hit 125 carries? Lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ZombieCrew posted:

Did swift not hit 125 carries? Lol

99 Rushing attempts

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Lions revamping their culture has been an unambiguous positive for the team, suddenly changing it around to go "What about the playoff win?!" is moving the goalpost.

I would rather have a toxic super bowl winning team than a "winning culture" .500 team

The "goalposts" are what they've always been and always will be, winning and losing. I like the Lions, I want them to do well, and I think they will this year, but I don't put the cart before the horse personally, same with the Bears

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GNU Order posted:

I would rather have a toxic super bowl winning team than a "winning culture" .500 team

The "goalposts" are what they've always been and always will be, winning and losing. I like the Lions, I want them to do well, and I think they will this year, but I don't put the cart before the horse personally, same with the Bears

The nears will never win another super bowl or have a 4,000 yard passer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GNU Order posted:

How many Super Bowl winning teams have been "toxic" though? The 90s Cowboys?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

How many Super Bowl winning teams have been "toxic" though? The 90s Cowboys?

I mean generally the only cultures we know about are toxic and PR friendly winning cultures

Like I have no idea what the Chiefs culture is like but I bet it wouldn’t be described as either

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like I have no idea what the Chiefs culture is like but I bet it wouldn’t be described as either
It's a culture that drafted and featured Tyreek Hill for years so... it's certainly not going to be great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

It's a culture that drafted and featured Tyreek Hill for years so... it's certainly not going to be great.

Sure but I don't mean toxic as in all the players are saintly. When I say toxic team culture I mean like a locker room where everyone loving hates each other and/or the staff, like the Matt Patricia era.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Sure but I don't mean toxic as in all the players are saintly. When I say toxic team culture I mean like a locker room where everyone loving hates each other and/or the staff, like the Matt Patricia era.
That tracks. I'm coming more from the perspective that a culture that's willing to overlook domestic abuse if the abuser helps them win is also probably tolerating a lot of other dogshit behavior within and outside the locker room doors.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

What are some other dogshit "leaders" that completely alienated their teams throughout the past few years? Urban (lmao) and maybe Gruden? Patricia is definitely up there with toxic assholes.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rodgers?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Parallelwoody posted:

What are some other dogshit "leaders" that completely alienated their teams throughout the past few years? Urban (lmao) and maybe Gruden? Patricia is definitely up there with toxic assholes.

Bobby Petrino comes to mind

Edit: ah, missed “the past few years”, duh

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Bears under Trestman still laughing when the offensive coordinator got caught talking poo poo about Cutler to a reporter and then Trestman made him tearfully apologize to him in front of the team. Having to sincerely apologize to Jay Cutler is one of the funniest things I can possibly imagine.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Oh yeah that was hilarious.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

The only teammate that has ever had an issue with him that I'm aware of is Greg Jennings

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hot Diggity! posted:

The only teammate that has ever had an issue with him that I'm aware of is Greg Jennings

True, but i think he undermined everything the front office was trying to do for better or worse. Especially the last few years with the offseason will he be back stuff.

At least he got his buddy Cobb a couple contracts.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lmao

quote:

An NFL source who spoke to Cutler after Kromer's apology said the quarterback "certainly isn't happy."

The Tribune report cites sources as saying Kromer denied telling the NFL Network that the franchise had "buyer's remorse," and made it a point to inform players during the meeting that that portion of the report did not come from him.

The report states that Cutler was in the room during the meeting, and shook his head the whole time as Kromer apologized.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rodgers alienated the front office not his teammates.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm sorry it is very hard for me to believe that this extremely annoying man did not annoy at least some of his teammates with his annoying bullshit.

quote:

During a recent interview, former Packers quarterback DeShone Kizer said that Aaron Rodgers once asked him whether he “believes in 9/11,” referring to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, during his first quarterbacks meeting with the team in ’18.

“The first thing that comes out of Aaron Rodgers’s mouth was, ‘You believe in 9/11?’” he said on The Breneman Show podcast. “‘What? Do I believe in 9/11? Yeah, why wouldn’t I?’”

To which Kizer said that Rodgers simply responded with, “Should read up on that.” Kizer said Rodgers wanted him to do research on some of the conspiracy theories around the event.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

"Do you believe in 9/11" is such a funny phrase, it makes me laugh every time that Kizer bit comes up.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I have great faith in 9/11

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Are you still a believer in 9/11? Because at seven it's marginal, right?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The amount of lottery dropping the city of Detroit has done over the past seven years is sick.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I believe that 9/11 is a day of the year, yes.

SKULL.GIF posted:

My great fear of the Holmes + Campbell era is that it becomes a repeat of the Mayhew + Schwartz era. There are some broad parallels between the two (GM and coach brought in together, terrible first 1.5 seasons, early boost from a can't-miss D-lineman drafted second overall) and Schwartz was hailed at the time for bringing "culture" back to Detroit before it started to peter out after year 3. Improving the culture isn't enough but it's a good start, and I get a vague impression that this team likes their coach a little more than those early '10s teams (could also be forgetting the team vibe a decade ago)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Schwartz was a barely more personable Patricia. Iirc, he pretty openly played favorites and alienated a bunch of guys, including Suh maybe?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
While I am enthusiastic about the Lions cleaning house and hiring a seemingly competent front office that isn’t staffed by cretins who drive away all the best talent, I predict nothing when it comes to next season.

Literally anything could happen.

The Lions could win 12 games and a division and a playoff game or two.

They could also regress to Lions.txt and win 7 games.

They’ve kicked me in the balls so often the last four decades, I cannot even begin to have an air of hubris when it comes to the Lions.

I just hope they can vanquish a lot of their decades-long loveable loser stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
7 wins is better than most seasons in my lifetime!