Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I saw no mention of feathers

Are these bird wings or like a pterodactyl?

like a puffin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
for the record, im a bird wings guy

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
so i don't even get to choose wings of shadow? man, what a poo poo deal.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

rotor posted:

i ask people normal things, like whether they'd rather have a prehensile tail or wings (you cant fly tho, you just have wings)

our 'scrum coach' asks questions like this to start off our retro meetings and for some reason i mysteriously always have connection issues

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
i get that you can't fly, but what's the glide ratio of the wings?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

bird wings, bat wings, pterodactyl wings are all going to be in place of your arms and hands.
ain't never seen a bird with 6 limbs.
got to go with bug wings if you want those as an extra and keep your arms.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
what the hell is the point of wings that don't let you fly, seriously

like, flightless birds generally have these little vestigial wings that they always keep folded in and all they use them for is flapping in a threatening manner or covering up babies once in a while. these ones you're proposing are gonna be similar. just for show.

on the other hand a prehensile tail is literally like having a third arm. all benefit, no downside except maybe you'd have to find a new way of sitting down

if i were going to get an animal-inspired purely aesthetic genetic alteration it would be spots or stripes.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cerv posted:

bird wings, bat wings, pterodactyl wings are all going to be in place of your arms and hands.
ain't never seen a bird with 6 limbs.
got to go with bug wings if you want those as an extra and keep your arms.

no no no we're talkin just wings on your back, you still have arms, we're not goin crazy here

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

what the hell is the point of wings that don't let you fly, seriously

they're pretty

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah sorry the gently caress marry kill question is much better than would you rather have a cool tail or a horrible disability

e: ok if you still have arms i guess it's not as bad but they're still just a massive inconvenience and anyone who thinks they're pretty is just gonna find out you can't fly and give the world's most disappointed "oh."

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

big black turnout posted:

Yeah sorry the gently caress marry kill question is much better than would you rather have a cool tail or a horrible disability

:rolleyes:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
also i understand that the reason apes don't have tails like other monkeys is one specific mutation in a known location in the genome. so you could probably grow human babies with tails right now with crispr etc. there's no foreseeable path to wings on your back (as noted, in all tetrapoda they are modified from the arms) so that's just science fiction

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

you can use slurp juices on apes iirc but not humans

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
someone wanting to gently caress elon is science fiction too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

also i understand that the reason apes don't have tails like other monkeys is one specific mutation in a known location in the genome. so you could probably grow human babies with tails right now with crispr etc. there's no foreseeable path to wings on your back (as noted, in all tetrapoda they are modified from the arms) so that's just science fiction

oh ok

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you're just mad that everyone picked the obvious answer

a much meatier debate would be prehensile tail (straightforward and functional) vs wings that you can use to fly (highly appealing but also very awkward)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
wings no question

even as highly dangerous as it would be

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
this whole page makes me feel like I'm in the convenience store in Clerks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
humans with wings would be insanely dangerous

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Beeftweeter posted:

humans with wings would be insanely dangerous

ftfy

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i liked the dragon ball manga growing up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

you're just mad that everyone picked the obvious answer

a much meatier debate would be prehensile tail (straightforward and functional) vs wings that you can use to fly (highly appealing but also very awkward)

I'm not mad y'all picked tails, most engineer types do.

wings that let you fly are OP and everyone picks them, so the convo is less interesting

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
flying wings would have to be enormous (think hang glider), plus the musculature required to support them would deform your torso. also your dumb human heart and lungs don’t have the capacity for outputting enough power continuously to keep you flying. and your dense, non-hollow bones are a liability. basically you’re asking to be a giant bird.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

that captain america drawing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Management posted:

flying wings would have to be enormous (think hang glider), plus the musculature required to support them would deform your torso. also your dumb human heart and lungs don’t have the capacity for outputting enough power continuously to keep you flying. and your dense, non-hollow bones are a liability. basically you’re asking to be a giant bird.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

rotor posted:

wings that let you fly are OP and everyone picks them, so the convo is less interesting

you could reframe the question so the OP part matters less

would you rather have gills with the ability to survive deep underwater pressure or wings and the ability to survive high altitude flight?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cold on a Cob posted:

would you rather have gills with the ability to survive deep underwater pressure or wings and the ability to survive high altitude flight?

the gills

suicide rates for wing-people would probably be off the charts

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'd definitely choose the gills too, imagine all the cool and scary poo poo we could find in the ocean

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cold on a Cob posted:

gills

also prehensile tail over flying wings

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
The gills so i can be Aquaman and own a lot of beachfront Florida property

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'd definitely choose the gills too, imagine all the cool and scary poo poo we could find in the ocean

big black turnout posted:

The gills so i can be Aquaman and own a lot of beachfront Florida property

bring on the Waterworld future imo

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

bring on the Waterworld future imo

i too want to make out with kevin costner

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
too many deadly things just floating about in the ocean and I say this as someone who loves the ocean and kept reef tanks for decades

assuming physiological changes for flight in the same scope as physiological changes for gills I'd rather have flight

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Wheany posted:

Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?

not exactly,

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

theres no way i'd want to discover weird new undersea bullshit, that is loving terrifying

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

theres no way i'd want to discover weird new undersea bullshit, that is loving terrifying

what about surveillance balloons

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'd still like you to discover the giant horrors of the deep though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

I'd still like you to discover the giant horrors of the deep though

yeah like someone has to do it but it sure as hell aint gonna be me

Adbot