Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Can anyone ID these headsets?

They look vaguely like GearVRs but I don't think that's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Upon some extensive googling I think they are Lenovo mirage solos

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

All VR headsets should have googly eyes on the front imo

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Lenovo mirage solos

They were my favorite Star Wars Extended Universe character.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I could use some help troubleshooting. I'm trying to use Resident Evil 2 VR with a Quest 2 doing wireless Virtual Desktop. It all loads and works fine except for the fact nothing displays in my headset except for the SteamVR landscape. The game is on my monitor and responds, it just refuses to show in the headset after loading up for some incredibly obscure and dumb reason, since 2 hours of online searching has provided no help. Anyone got an idea?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is it possible to charge the Quest 2 while playing so it remains powered indefinitely, and if so what amount of power do I need? My only high speed charging cables are super short, so I can't really test how they perform.

I have a decent Anker PD-compatible power bank that keeps the headset at 100% for longer than whatever my attention span is (a few hours at most I think). I keep it in my pocket but it's fiddly and can fall out if I'm ducking and moving a lot. If you can spend more money, I'd recommend getting one that straps onto the headband.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally convinced myself to get a PSVR 2 and while it is nice to look a few more degrees to my left or right, I have a hard time telling the difference between that and my Quest 2 on Airlink (Though this is on a small sample size I admit). And honestly with the prescription lenses and the Bobo VR head strap it is more comfortable too, though to its credit PSVR 2 does fit well with my glasses on.

Of course, I haven't tried GT7 VR which is my main reason for getting it (Well, Humanity being free on PS+ Extra also pushed me over the edge, along with the headset being available in retailers), but while it is nice I don't feel like it would replace PC VR any time soon. We will see if GT7 VR will make me stick with it for that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rumors are that Apple's headset is going to be in the $3k+ range. Can't imagine they are targeting anyone but business users at that price.

https://www.pcgamer.com/im-a-vr-evangelist-and-even-i-baulk-at-the-rumoured-price-of-apples-so-good-vr-headset

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Enos Cabell posted:

Rumors are that Apple's headset is going to be in the $3k+ range. Can't imagine they are targeting anyone but business users at that price.

https://www.pcgamer.com/im-a-vr-evangelist-and-even-i-baulk-at-the-rumoured-price-of-apples-so-good-vr-headset

You've not met Apple users before, have you?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

No, they've said multiple times this is intended mostly as a devkit.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It has the potential to be pretty amazing, a Macbook on your head, instead they're seemingly making it an iPad on your head. Not to say that mobile apps aren't well suited for an AR headset but you get those with the Macbook. What I want is a PC, not a mobile device, I want to be able to connect a BT keyboard and mouse and be given a full blown desktop interface. With the recent porting of their major toolsets to iPad, it gives me the feeling they want to leave that behind though.

I feel strongly enough about this that given it was capable of providing a full blown PC desktop, I would likely buy it... maybe taking out a loan because oof.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't want a PC strapped to my face for anything other than videogames, I do not understand these people who really want to put a headset on to do email work.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Black August posted:

I could use some help troubleshooting. I'm trying to use Resident Evil 2 VR with a Quest 2 doing wireless Virtual Desktop. It all loads and works fine except for the fact nothing displays in my headset except for the SteamVR landscape. The game is on my monitor and responds, it just refuses to show in the headset after loading up for some incredibly obscure and dumb reason, since 2 hours of online searching has provided no help. Anyone got an idea?

Are you using the right version of the mod? There is one for ray tracing and one without. If you are using the no ray tracing mod you need to go into the settings and opt into the old version of RE2 on steam.

Did you hit insert while on the desktop to open the mod menu and enable VR?

They mention those in the instructions but their documentation isn't the best.

I never used virtual desktop and instead used air link so not sure if it's anything related to that.

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Black August posted:

I have played the RE games over Virtual Desktop with my Quest 2. The post above is good advice, double check that you downloaded the RE Framework version for RE2 that includes the VR support. It will place 2 .dll files in the game directory that trigger VR mode. With Virtual Desktop openvr_api.dll is what RE Framework uses to launch Steam VR and talk to the Quest. Make sure that file is there in the game directory. Whenever I want to play the game flat again I just rename that dll file.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

njsykora posted:

I don't want a PC strapped to my face for anything other than videogames, I do not understand these people who really want to put a headset on to do email work.

Ultimately I want something that obsoletes my desktop PC, TV, phone and all the in-between devices like tablets and laptops in a pair of sunglasses, but I have enough interest in this stuff that I'd like an early peek in spite of the jank and light discomfort.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think we've known about this $3k price for a while now but it bears repeating. People balked at the $1500 price tag for the Quest Pro so I will be curious to see how many of these HMD's apple is able to move.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I think the difference is the Quest Pro was pretty good (though, in my opinion anyway, with some downsides for gaming)

But people expect the Apple headset to be really, really good.

Who knows maybe that's setting it up to fail because even if it's good it won't be as intensely good as people expect, or just not 3000 good. But if it's flat out the best headset by a large margin I think there are enough people who are like "gently caress it" and will buy it even for the huge price.

It's me, I am incredibly bad at not just going "gently caress it" and buying stupidly more than I need. But goddamn launch 4090 was worth it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BrainDance posted:

I think the difference is the Quest Pro was pretty good (though, in my opinion anyway, with some downsides for gaming)

But people expect the Apple headset to be really, really good

Yeah, as Neddy Seagoon mentioned it's Apple and people happily pay the Apple tax on their stuff all the time so who knows. I'm sure it's going to be an extremely high quality product I just don't know who is clamoring for an even more expensive VR headset outside of the extreme outliers who want the cutting edge best of the best hardware regardless of how much it costs.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The latest report says it will have dual M2 chips, so I expect it to at least blow the Quest Pro out of the water in graphics. I also expect Apple to give great importance to the mixed reality feature so I imagine the passthrough mode will be super good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont expect apple to nail the functionality 100% completely (they always leave in some boneheaded apple decisions), but I do expect them to set the bar for quality and featureset (and maybe horsepower?) going forward, which will be nice

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Quest Pro was a Quest 2 with nicer lenses, eye tracking and a bunch of stupid poo poo added to it, same general resolution and computing power, same non-standard Android ecosystem. It didn't offer much new.

4x4k screens is a bigger deal than it sounds, I doubt 3D environments will render that high but flat UI elements probably will. I think people forget how big a jump it was from the 1080x1200 Rift and Vive to the ~2x2k headsets, perhaps because there was a middle step, 1440x1440 and thereabouts, as well as Quest's subnative rendering. Also after having tried Quest's experimental virtual touchscreen mode, which is really cool but a hackjob, I'm convinced that a company that knows what they're doing, with hardware that isn't bottom of the barrel, could make it work. iPad apps would in particular be a good fit for this.

No one has solved hand tracking keyboard yet so maybe Apple can magic something up for that too.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

LeisureSuit Canary posted:

Are you using the right version of the mod? There is one for ray tracing and one without. If you are using the no ray tracing mod you need to go into the settings and opt into the old version of RE2 on steam.

Did you hit insert while on the desktop to open the mod menu and enable VR?

They mention those in the instructions but their documentation isn't the best.

I never used virtual desktop and instead used air link so not sure if it's anything related to that.

Magic Shortbus posted:

I have played the RE games over Virtual Desktop with my Quest 2. The post above is good advice, double check that you downloaded the RE Framework version for RE2 that includes the VR support. It will place 2 .dll files in the game directory that trigger VR mode. With Virtual Desktop openvr_api.dll is what RE Framework uses to launch Steam VR and talk to the Quest. Make sure that file is there in the game directory. Whenever I want to play the game flat again I just rename that dll file.

Yup. Did all of those. I am sure I'm using the ray-tracing one. What happens is that everything runs fine, it is in VR mode on my desktop screen, but in the headset all it shows is the SteamVR void instead of displaying the game. I can hear the game, move the wands and hear them pass over options, all of it. Absolutely everything works fine except for the game actually showing up in the headset view. It just shows 'Up Next' as it loads the game, and then dumps my visual back to the SteamVR void.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

explosivo posted:

Yeah, as Neddy Seagoon mentioned it's Apple and people happily pay the Apple tax on their stuff all the time so who knows. I'm sure it's going to be an extremely high quality product I just don't know who is clamoring for an even more expensive VR headset outside of the extreme outliers who want the cutting edge best of the best hardware regardless of how much it costs.

Are Apple diehards and VR enthusiasts really that much of an overlapping Venn diagram though? In my experience VR fans seem to either be solid PC gamers or pretty young casual players (whatever casual really means in a VR context)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Are Apple diehards and VR enthusiasts really that much of an overlapping Venn diagram though? In my experience VR fans seem to either be solid PC gamers or pretty young casual players (whatever casual really means in a VR context)

I want nothing to do with Facebook so don't Quest anything (though my wife does) but I am interested in the Apple Headset even though I don't Apple anything else either. Apple makes fantastic hardware, I don't think anyone can honestly debate that, and instead have to talk about how it's really expensive or how the software is lacking or restrictive in what you can do with it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's an apple device, so it almost certainly won't just plug into a PC and play steam games or whatever. That alone kills it for me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KillHour posted:

It's an apple device, so it almost certainly won't just plug into a PC and play steam games or whatever. That alone kills it for me.

Apple: Making Meta consumer-friendly in comparison!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont worry, it will plug into a mac and play steam games there!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Everyone is gonna lose their minds when it’s revealed that Deckard is a partnership between Apple and Valve and this is it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Apple’s headset is going to be purely for AR stuff so they can figure out how to advertise to you 24/7 and maybe watch movies or something

Nobody seems to realize that if you want that you need to first spend a decade making better headsets while you throw out tons of cool games to hook people in

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Apple's MO for a long time has been making its fans be fans of whatever the company happens to go into; there wasn't much overlap between "Apple diehards" and "people who would spend $400 on a watch" when the apple watch released, but the diehards bought them anyway.

Of course whether that still applies if the cheapest version of a device really does start at $3000, we'll have to see.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I read an observation that I suspect nails things on the head: Apple's aiming to make AR/VR something everyone wants before trying to make it something everyone can afford.

e: apparently I just quoted Palmer there :gurf:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 17, 2023

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
What are you going to be able to do with it that people actually want to use, that's the only thing that really matters

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Lemming posted:

What are you going to be able to do with it that people actually want to use, that's the only thing that really matters

lol nothing except games and industry use, the tech is still nowhere near being good for practical AR applications unless Apple’s set has monster good passthrough and a 4+ hour battery

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

njsykora posted:

i worked for a whole day in vr just to see what it would be like and while it's kind of fun being able to minority report shoot windows around while on a zoom call or arrange my digital furnature ultimately it probably made me significantly less productive

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Black August posted:

lol nothing except games and industry use, the tech is still nowhere near being good for practical AR applications unless Apple’s set has monster good passthrough and a 4+ hour battery

You can get so much better passthrough with just two color cameras and throwing more computing power than a phone chipset has at it. I've been working at trying to get better passthrough out of the Valve Index, and it's working so well I just keep getting pissed at Valve for making their own implementation so lovely.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I want nothing to do with Facebook so don't Quest anything (though my wife does) but I am interested in the Apple Headset even though I don't Apple anything else either. Apple makes fantastic hardware, I don't think anyone can honestly debate that, and instead have to talk about how it's really expensive or how the software is lacking or restrictive in what you can do with it.

I've been told I just had exceptionally bad timing/luck on this front, and some of it is probably down to familiarity with other devices coloring my experience, but I've hated every piece of apple hardware I've interacted with. The standout memories are : 1. horizontally even power and...volume, I think? buttons on my work iphone that take a screenshot when pressed simultaneously, so half the time I'm trying to hit the power button to kill a spam call or turn the screen off I end up with a screenshot instead; 2. the worst laptop keyboard I've ever touched. It was like 1mm keys with no tactile feedback on press; and 3. one-button mouse.

I can believe this was just the world's most unfortunate sampling experience and they have lots of great stuff I haven't interacted with, but it's very far from a spotless history.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Irony.or.Death posted:

buttons on my work iphone that take a screenshot when pressed simultaneously, so half the time I'm trying to hit the power button to kill a spam call or turn the screen off I end up with a screenshot instead;

I love my sheep phones. They work, Take great pictures, have great battery, and generally I don't have to gently caress with em at all.

But this is the worst part for me too. I take so many random screenshots just trying to hit the power button. Like why the gently caress is the volume not lower on the left side? Why is that button exactly in the spot you'd put your other finger to apply pressure to hit that button 1 handed?

UNNNGHHHHHHH

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The power button and volume buttons on my iPhone are on different sides.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

KillHour posted:

Same, I'm guessing it's going to work within their walled-garden ecosystem and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

I love my sheep phones. They work, Take great pictures, have great battery, and generally I don't have to gently caress with em at all.

But this is the worst part for me too. I take so many random screenshots just trying to hit the power button. Like why the gently caress is the volume not lower on the left side? Why is that button exactly in the spot you'd put your other finger to apply pressure to hit that button 1 handed?

UNNNGHHHHHHH

Because the iPhone is designed for left handed use.