Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Soonmot posted:

A bunch of stuff got messed up in a flood. I think the basic bones of it was done though.

drat, that's a shame, hope Loomer himself is alright.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm interested. Revised Sabbat is when they became more interesting to me. Is the V5 Sabbat book from after Swedracula got booted?

It was, but PDX explicitly didn't want to have the Sabbat playable, so you have to go a Storyteller's Vault book (made by the same authors from the official book, I heard?) to actually get rules for them.

I haven't read the V5 take on them, but I rather liked Revised Sabbat, specially because that's where a bunch of cool stuff from the Dark Ages setting survived.

It is kind of funny/sad that the Dark Ages setting is so much more diverse in general than the modern/final nights between the Roads (the Paths aren't quite the same since they're either Sabbat intracults or Independent Clan ideologies) and the enormous amount of sects and factions that existed then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We never got a book on the modern Ashirrah, although they got mentions in some of the books talking about the wider World of Darkness.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm interested. Revised Sabbat is when they became more interesting to me. Is the V5 Sabbat book from after Swedracula got booted?

Everything other than the Core, Camarilla, and Anarchs is from after he was booted, and all of those have been edited and revised in their digital/reprinted forms to remove all his dogshit, including the picture of him. Those three and Fall of London were basically all Modiphius made, which is where Swedracula was.

Then the whole franchise moved to Onyx Path, who we all know. They had a lot of problems meeting deadlines and getting books to print, apparently, and so Paradox moved the entire franchise to Renegade, with Sabbat being the first book they published, barely 2 years ago.

ZearothK posted:

It was, but PDX explicitly didn't want to have the Sabbat playable, so you have to go a Storyteller's Vault book (made by the same authors from the official book, I heard?) to actually get rules for them.

I haven't read the V5 take on them, but I rather liked Revised Sabbat, specially because that's where a bunch of cool stuff from the Dark Ages setting survived.

Plus or minus. That book is The Black Hand: Playing the Sabbat and is written by three of the main freelancers who wrote various bits of the official Sabbat book. It's pretty good, has some weird powers that mechanically are sorta all over the place, in my opinion, but for the most part keeps with RAW. They made a snafu of retconning Goratrix into being non-binary, specifically to distance them from the whole castrati gay man/trans woman poo poo that had been shoved into Revised and V20, but a ton of people got super angry about it anyway. By their (the writers) logic they (again, the writers) had just opted to make them (Goratrix) NB to just remove gender from the equation entirely and not refer back to any of the lurid details of their history specifically to gloss it over and try to present it as being unimportant to the actual lore, but uh... yeah, you don't make it unimportant by making a sidebar about it specifically drawing attention to why you're doing it. :doh:

The other book that people rave about is a purely fan made one called The Long Hard Road Out of Hell which apparently has a cool system for the Paths or whatever, I dunno I didn't shell out the money for it.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 15, 2023

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ZearothK posted:

It is kind of funny/sad that the Dark Ages setting is so much more diverse in general than the modern/final nights between the Roads (the Paths aren't quite the same since they're either Sabbat intracults or Independent Clan ideologies) and the enormous amount of sects and factions that existed then.

I think they're less Sabbat intracults and more the philosophers at the black cathedral or whatever bastardizing the Roads to fit the philosophy of the Sabbat. Honorable Accord is basically Path of Chivalry with the serial numbers filed off and doubling down on "listen to those in charge". And they shitcanned the Path of the Advisary/Devil from the Road of Sin due to its bad habit of violently killing off anyone that subjucated/harmed the powerless (when they found it amusing to do so). Instead they went "hey let's just do the parts about hedonism and not the other bits".

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

What were the best of those CoD enemy and threat book deals? Stuff like Tales from the 13th Precinct, etc.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

What were the best of those CoD enemy and threat book deals? Stuff like Tales from the 13th Precinct, etc.

Slasher was amazing. Definitely recommended.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I got fond memories of Mysterious Places and Antagonists was super hard to find back in the day, it kept selling out. Might not live up to the hype after all these eyars though.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

TheKingslayer posted:

Horror Recognition Guide

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
EDIT: ^^^Oh gently caress you for beating me by seconds!

While few of the creatures had exact stats (some actually were statted up in other books) no single book gave me as many antagonist ideas as The Horror Recognition Guide. The stories in that book all absolutely drip with atmosphere and are really great at describing monsters without needing to fall back on the terminology of the splat books they are from (the hunters writing the stories have no idea what a Changeling or a Promethean are, much less which clade or tribe things belong to).

EDIT2:
"Shakes", the Old Grey Wolf, and Emily G. have stats in the original 1e HtV sourcebook
Oleg is from "Saturnine Nights"
The tentacle monster...thing has stats in a free download from DriveThruRPG
Robin Garter also has stats in a different free download from DTRPG

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 16, 2023

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

EDIT: ^^^Oh gently caress you for beating me by seconds!

While few of the creatures had exact stats (some actually were statted up in other books) no single book gave me as many antagonist ideas as The Horror Recognition Guide. The stories in that book all absolutely drip with atmosphere and are really great at describing monsters without needing to fall back on the terminology of the splat books they are from (the hunters writing the stories have no idea what a Changeling or a Promethean are, much less which clade or tribe things belong to).

And importantly, several stories deal with phenomena that have nothing to do with the mythos of the various splatbooks in the first place. You have a story, yes, about a Ukrainian mobster in whose wake follows cancer and riots, and a man who briefly glimpses him to be a patchwork creature of bone and grafts, and it never once uses the phrase "Nuclear Promethean." But you also have a story about the Other Philadelphia, the awful and alien sister-city that you can fall through the cracks into. And you have a story about the underground doctors who shine with bright light and kidnap people to perform telekinetic vivisections, keeping their organ systems functioning even as they are extracted from the body.

(And you have a story about the ancient conspiratorial forces represented by the symbols of the bird and the snake. Which though I now nurse a theory might have grown out of the developing ideas of what Demon would eventually be about, is definitely evocative of its own mysterious flavor.)

I maintain that the God-Machine Chronicle book itself had some excellent atmosphere and guidance for a setting that, even with the book's focus on a God-Machine connecting things, was still very unpredictable and strange. (Demon material will talk about angels and cultists, but you won't find anything else like the Dalga, the flesh-mothers who scavenge for parts to build their ramshackle flesh-and-iron psychic self-extensions.) Unfortunately now I have to temper that recommendation, because they pulled the GMC as a stand-alone book to buy because they put most of its content in the back half of the Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook. The rulebook version cuts out the Introduction for space, but the Introduction is the best part, setting the stage and context for what you're going to read, providing a simple way to understand how the God-Machine and its plot hooks are structured, and crowning a section on the general high strangeness of the setting with a big half-page illustration of a half-man half-fly who orders pizzas every week and pays the delivery person through a crack in the door so he can throw them on the floor to decompose into something his larvae can eat.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 16, 2023

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

I Am Just a Box posted:

(And you have a story about the ancient conspiratorial forces represented by the symbols of the bird and the snake. Which though I now nurse a theory might have grown out of the developing ideas of what Demon would eventually be about, is definitely evocative of its own mysterious flavor.)

Snakes vs Birds is really good. It's even better when you realize that "Snake" and "Bird" might just be the same creature schizophrenically directing the two groups of mortals against each other in a battle no one can ever come out on top of.

I Am Just a Box posted:

I maintain that the God-Machine Chronicle book itself had some excellent atmosphere and guidance for a setting that, even with the book's focus on a God-Machine connecting things, was still very unpredictable and strange. (Demon material will talk about angels and cultists, but you won't find anything else like the Dalga, the flesh-mothers who scavenge for parts to build their ramshackle flesh-and-iron psychic self-extensions.) Unfortunately now I have to temper that recommendation, because they pulled the GMC as a stand-alone book to buy because they put most of its content in the back half of the Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook. The rulebook version cuts out the Introduction for space, but the Introduction is the best part, setting the stage and context for what you're going to read, providing a simple way to understand how the God-Machine and its plot hooks are structured, and crowning a section on the general high strangeness of the setting with a big half-page illustration of a half-man half-fly who orders pizzas every week and pays the delivery person through a crack in the door so he can throw them on the floor to decompose into something his larvae can eat.

I'm going to admit to something. I legally bought the Chronicles of Darkness rulebook as a pdf, and then discovered there was a different book that was always being referenced. Since, to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to ever get that book, I pretty easily found a pdf of the GMC online. After reading it, the decision to totally remove that book from existence is just another absolutely baffling decision upon the pile of baffling decisions OP seems to make. I'm reasonable sure I'm going to get banned from the CofD and OP discords one of these days because I can't stop myself from poo poo talking that company and questioning why they seem to be so adverse to acting like a functional company, but c'est la vie.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

TheKingslayer posted:

Dudes of Legend.

Seriously, though, I'll second Slasher.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

We should make a best of White Wolf list that just compiles all the best non-core books from all lines, both franchises. So far we've got:

Damnation City
Dudes of Legend (just because)
The Horror Recognition Guide

What else? I guess reply with the list and keep adding your own. I'd say the three Libellus Sanguinus books deserve a mention, as does Cults of the Blood Gods from V5. I can't actually remember which Hunters Hunted was good since it's been 15+ years since I read either of them.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fuzz posted:

Plus or minus. That book is The Black Hand: Playing the Sabbat and is written by three of the main freelancers who wrote various bits of the official Sabbat book. It's pretty good, has some weird powers that mechanically are sorta all over the place, in my opinion, but for the most part keeps with RAW. They made a snafu of retconning Goratrix into being non-binary, specifically to distance them from the whole castrati gay man/trans woman poo poo that had been shoved into Revised and V20, but a ton of people got super angry about it anyway. By their (the writers) logic they (again, the writers) had just opted to make them (Goratrix) NB to just remove gender from the equation entirely and not refer back to any of the lurid details of their history specifically to gloss it over and try to present it as being unimportant to the actual lore, but uh... yeah, you don't make it unimportant by making a sidebar about it specifically drawing attention to why you're doing it. :doh:

The other book that people rave about is a purely fan made one called The Long Hard Road Out of Hell which apparently has a cool system for the Paths or whatever, I dunno I didn't shell out the money for it.

Thanks! That clarifies things a bit. I'll keep an eye for that book, I legit liked Chaining the Beast for consolidating that info and this sounds like a V5 version of it. I also think the way Convictions & Tenets are set up work well as a general structure for Paths/Roads, and I had my players going over Road tenets to choose their convictions in this DA game I am running.

citybeatnik posted:

I think they're less Sabbat intracults and more the philosophers at the black cathedral or whatever bastardizing the Roads to fit the philosophy of the Sabbat. Honorable Accord is basically Path of Chivalry with the serial numbers filed off and doubling down on "listen to those in charge". And they shitcanned the Path of the Advisary/Devil from the Road of Sin due to its bad habit of violently killing off anyone that subjucated/harmed the powerless (when they found it amusing to do so). Instead they went "hey let's just do the parts about hedonism and not the other bits".

Oh yeah, they are definitely corrupted versions of the Roads, but it is still something that adds variety to the setting and I feel discarding the Sabbat from how it was shaping up in Revised makes Masquerade a poorer universe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I Am Just a Box posted:

And importantly, several stories deal with phenomena that have nothing to do with the mythos of the various splatbooks in the first place. You have a story, yes, about a Ukrainian mobster in whose wake follows cancer and riots, and a man who briefly glimpses him to be a patchwork creature of bone and grafts, and it never once uses the phrase "Nuclear Promethean." But you also have a story about the Other Philadelphia, the awful and alien sister-city that you can fall through the cracks into. And you have a story about the underground doctors who shine with bright light and kidnap people to perform telekinetic vivisections, keeping their organ systems functioning even as they are extracted from the body.

Shadows of the UK - which I didn't mention because it's technically a Forsaken book - also had something like Other Philadelphia except there it was the Other Glasgow. Same deal, too. You just suddenly find yourself there, weird factories doing unspeakable things, everybody treats you like a completely different person and just for funsies the phenomenon seems to be slowly growing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ZearothK posted:

Thanks! That clarifies things a bit. I'll keep an eye for that book, I legit liked Chaining the Beast for consolidating that info and this sounds like a V5 version of it. I also think the way Convictions & Tenets are set up work well as a general structure for Paths/Roads, and I had my players going over Road tenets to choose their convictions in this DA game I am running.

Yup, the first book just presents it all as Convictions and Tenets. Long Hard Road also has options for non-mortal Touchstones. If your players need a hand getting a handle on the Humanity system at large, there's a book called ReVamped on the STV which actually has a chapter with some house rules for stains and stuff, but more importantly the first half of the chapter is just a plain words explanation of how the basic humanity system works. It also has a bunch of the old Paths as examples in one of the Appendices, like Path of Night and Path of Blood. That one is pay what you want so you can just grab it for free.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fuzz posted:

We should make a best of White Wolf list that just compiles all the best non-core books from all lines, both franchises. So far we've got:

Damnation City

What else? I guess reply with the list and keep adding your own. I'd say the three Libellus Sanguinus books deserve a mention, as does Cults of the Blood Gods from V5. I can't actually remember which Hunters Hunted was good since it's been 15+ years since I read either of them.

Blasphemies and Predators are top tier enemy books, meant for Werewolf but I've used them with other gamelines often.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Slashers is great because it introduces VASCU, the only good cops. I need to reread Horror Recognition Guide, it's been a long long time.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Fuzz posted:

Damnation City

The nwod mekhet book is worth it for the fiction alone, and it is also the best argument for Requiem 1e as a setting that I can think of. It is filled with sad and wonderful little stories and none of them connect back to any monolithic metaplot like the god machine or the Sabbat.

Mekhet are sorely missed in v5. Lasombra are just not the same.

The Ghouls book is so close to being recommendable, but it dips into way edgier territory than it needs to, so I can't give it the same thumbs up.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Fuzz posted:

Damnation City

The Requiem 1 Clan books are not considered core books, but should be.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Parts of blood of the wolf are well written but they've been rendered mostly moot by 2e.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

worm girl posted:

The nwod mekhet book is worth it for the fiction alone, and it is also the best argument for Requiem 1e as a setting that I can think of. It is filled with sad and wonderful little stories and none of them connect back to any monolithic metaplot like the god machine or the Sabbat.

Mekhet are sorely missed in v5. Lasombra are just not the same.

And that's I added the Mekhet (and the Hollow) to my V:DA setting. I am not letting canon get in the way of cool things.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

And that's I added the Mekhet (and the Hollow) to my V:DA setting. I am not letting canon get in the way of cool things.

Hell yeah! I posted upthread that I added the Giovanni to my V:tR game. gently caress Cannon!!

I also finished my note file for my game and we'll be starting chapter 2 tomorrow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The old translation guides ruled. Just mix-and-match the settings as you want.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Looks like my two buddies in my next V5 game have decided to play a Malkavian Country/Toreador Goth Country music duo act.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

Looks like my two buddies in my next V5 game have decided to play a Malkavian Country/Toreador Goth Country music duo act.

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

Well done.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheKingslayer posted:

Don't we got country pride / because we managed to avoid hunger frenzy in the richest country in history

Someone repost the nWOD Metroid world map right quick, I lost track of it.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Nessus posted:

Someone repost the nWOD Metroid world map right quick, I lost track of it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Something about just Kraid and the Varia Suit always gets me about that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

My favorite is Dude with a Gun.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lower Norfair miniboss being Carl is the best part, what are you all on about.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TheKingslayer posted:

I didn't really need an excuse to start listening to Slim Cessna and Jay Munly again, but let's do it!

[fake edit] And thanks! Turns out there was a new album from Munly since I last checked.

Soonmot posted:

Hell yeah! I posted upthread that I added the Giovanni to my V:tR game. gently caress Cannon!!

I also finished my note file for my game and we'll be starting chapter 2 tomorrow.

Right on!

One of the other things I added to my VtM game was the Lancea Sanctum, which fits pretty well with very little modification, specially in the medieval setting. Also sprinkled some of the other origin myths around. Cain is pretty popular amongst Christian vampires, but a lot of Roman Ventrue Methuselahs claim descent from Aeneas and Venus instead (as alluded in Requiem's Clanbook for the Ventrue), and I had other clans in the area, since my game is in Italy, claim descent from the Gods as well.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Auspices are up.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

That Ragabash line is so close to being good. If they'd only stopped four words earlier.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Seems like a failure of design to only fit 4/5 of them in a spread. Wonder if any Chicken Littles are claiming that they eliminated Ahroun or something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ahroun is definitely the one you could cut. Everyone kicks rear end for Gaia.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Ahroun is definitely the one you could cut. Everyone kicks rear end for Gaia.

Yeah, it's mentioned lots how they're all Gaia's warriors. Ahrouns just warrior harder, man.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Tome of the Pentacle is out now in advance PDF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

cptn_dr posted:

Tome of the Pentacle is out now in advance PDF.

That is an amazingly unattractive cover.