Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's a gigantic tower with floodlights and poo poo next to a castle that's glowing red

Ok I think I'm taking crazy pills so I just found that moment in a playthrough on youtube. I don't see any bustling town or any camera shot focusing on anything at all - what are you all seeing that I am not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz2TY7_Q27M&t=7020s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A bustling town that's new and has a tower with floodlights surrounding it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is the sequel to that guy who spent two hours in the first room of Metroid Dread because he didn’t realize you could jump higher by holding the button

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

On one hand, Harriet Carker was completely in their right to go wherever he wanted, and from the sound of it they saw the stable and never looked back.

On the other hand, having played BotW and not found strange the game didn't give you a paraglider, specially with the focus on the sky is lol (also the paraglider is pretty much the last needed equipment for stuff)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

CuddleCryptid posted:

Apologizes if this has been asked 20 times but do you *need* to have a steering wheel to get a car to work? I put four wheels on a vehicle (using posts to have them just connect at the center rather than also gluing to the entire edge of the board) but the wheels just don't rotate, even when under power with a fan.

I've definitely made fan-powered vehicles, one wooden plank, two wheels on each side, one fan or two fans at the back, BAM there you go. If you're attaching the wheels correctly it usually starts rolling away before you can put the fourth one on.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the desert has been kind of a low point. but thats ok its still kind of fun

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

A bustling town that's new and has a tower with floodlights surrounding it

Please go click the video I just posted and tell me what you're looking at. I don't see anything that fits that description even a little bit.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
It's not particularly close to the lake in my opinion. I ran off without getting it either but after two shrines I simply couldn't complete I figured "okay, I must get the paraglider at some point, and they're not gonna drag that poo poo out, so I guess I better move towards that town." Basically the tutorial isn't quite over once you leave the sky island.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

On one hand, Harriet Carker was completely in their right to go wherever he wanted, and from the sound of it they saw the stable and never looked back.

On the other hand, having played BotW and not found strange the game didn't give you a paraglider, specially with the focus on the sky is lol (also the paraglider is pretty much the last needed equipment for stuff)

I figured Zonai Wings were the glider replacement, especially given their heavy prominence in the tutorial island.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Apologizes if this has been asked 20 times but do you *need* to have a steering wheel to get a car to work? I put four wheels on a vehicle (using posts to have them just connect at the center rather than also gluing to the entire edge of the board) but the wheels just don't rotate, even when under power with a fan.
Well, you need a motive force. Your problem isn't a steering wheel, it's that what you built is too heavy for the fan to push. Add more fans, or a horse pulling it, or some zonai self-rotating wheels.

That said, without a control rod (or a horse pulling it), you are limited to either going in the direction you're pointed in or trying to steer by shifting your weight around.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Y'know I don't think a full game walkthrough that starts pinning locations they shouldn't even know about at that point in the game and immediately uses an amiibo to summon Epona and gently caress off in a direction far way from the blinking quest objective marker on the minimap represents the usual game start

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

MiracleFlare posted:

Y'know I don't think a full game walkthrough that starts pinning locations they shouldn't even know about at that point in the game and immediately uses an amiibo to summon Epona and gently caress off in a direction far way from the blinking quest objective marker on the minimap represents the usual game start

I'm just posting that because Augus said:

Augus posted:

you didn't think the bustling town that the game forcefully points the camera towards which is approximately 3 feet away from where you initially land was a natural first destination?

I do not see any "forceful camera pointing" and my experience diving from the tutorial island looked exactly like in that video. I did not see any "bustling town" and so I picked a cool looking direction and went off.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Harriet Carker posted:

Nope, I got to a tower and a Rito told me to go to Lookout Landing. The door opened but I couldn't go up. I don't know where that is and figured I'd find it eventually.
Lookout Landing is where the single main plot objective you have is telling you to go. If you go there and follow the plot a bit more you'll get the paraglider and unlock towers and therefore, y'know, the map. You're not done with the tutorial yet.

Which, yes, I agree with you, it's silly that they let you run off before you were done. But they did and you did and now here we are.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That said I fully expect a no glider speed run now.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Killed an electric Gleeok, it was a huge pain in the rear end and the rewards didn’t seem worth it. I used like 20 bomb arrows but maybe I should’ve been using monster parts for high damage arrows instead. High level lightning resist instead of mid-level could’ve helped too.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Lookout Landing is where the single main plot objective you have is telling you to go. If you go there and follow the plot a bit more you'll get the paraglider and unlock towers and therefore, y'know, the map. You're not done with the tutorial yet.

Which, yes, I agree with you, it's silly that they let you run off before you were done. But they did and you did and now here we are.

Oh for sure, this is what I will do the next time I play.

I still stand by my point that letting you gently caress off to shrines that are impossible to complete without a necessary item and also not indicating in any way, shape, or form, that you can't yet complete them and also making it really really seem possible (I got within a few inches of crossing the gap and figured with slightly better device placement I might have been able to do it) is straight up bad design.

I'm really enjoying the game, but this one bit is a blatant oversight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
your point is wrong and so are you. begone.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No, I also think it’s dumb the game lets you potentially go out exploring without the paraglider

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Harriet Carker posted:

Ok I think I'm taking crazy pills so I just found that moment in a playthrough on youtube. I don't see any bustling town or any camera shot focusing on anything at all - what are you all seeing that I am not?

rewind one minute to the cutscene where the cloud barrier opens up

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hell yeah, there's already a mod that removes the gacha bullshit from amiibo drops.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm still just trying to decide what armor set I wanna invest in for general purpose running around. Fashion is obviously a high priority. Maybe I'll end up investing in the Rito Set since it looks pretty nice and there's quite a number of cold environs that demand resistance? I made a pretty extensive trek through the desert already so heat resistance is less a concern... though I suppose I didn't give a very thorough search of all of the canyon that precedes it.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

What's the best way to upgrade your battery? From what I understand, you need 300 zonaite for a third of a battery? I've only upgradef it once because I got a huge crystalized charge as a reward for a shrine or something.

You get shitloads of zonaite from just noodling around in the depths for a bit, basically every enemy drops them on death and zonaite rocks in the mines and moblin mining outposts frequently respawn. You can also find better forge constructs than the one on tutorial island. The ones in the depths will sell up to 30 crystallized charges at one go for 3 regular zonaite each, and 5 large charges (100 in total) for 3 Large zonaite each. They restock after some time, not sure how long but I’ve never had to wait too long for it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I need good pants that match the Champions tunic.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

MiracleFlare posted:

Does he? Then I might have given him one early on and then just completely forgot about it, all I know is that at the end of the quest I spent 10 minutes stalking that guy trying to give him something until I finally looked it up and found a vague "talk to Cece" hint instead of a full list of who to go to.

Yes he’s the guy who sits all day in the tomato field. Did you have to do anything special for him? Maybe I need that hint from Cece?

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Harriet Carker posted:

It's literally right there at 1:55:50 lmao

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Augus posted:

rewind one minute to the cutscene where the cloud barrier opens up

Ok, fair enough. I think calling that a bustling city is a bit of a stretch. I assumed it was one of the "go here after you've done a bunch of other stuff" sort of places, like Ganon's Castle in BotW.

It would have been easy enough to make that area on a high plateau with a lake you dive into and no way down until you get the glider (you know, like BotW did!)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

RatHat posted:

No, I also think it’s dumb the game lets you potentially go out exploring without the paraglider
Yeah, I'm with Harriet Carker. I was flabberghasted when they let me jump off of Tutorial Island without giving me the paraglider. Tutorializing "you can safely dive into water from any height" is not nearly important enough to trade off getting the paraglider for it, especially since it'll almost never come up again because players will have the god drat paraglider.

It's a design misstep. The only one I've seen so far in what is otherwise a masterpiece that ought to have every other game scheduled to come out this year pushing their release back to 2024 because GotY is sewn up, thanks for playing, but a design misstep nonetheless.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

CapnAndy posted:

GotY is sewn up

yeah by re4remake :getin:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm still just trying to decide what armor set I wanna invest in for general purpose running around. Fashion is obviously a high priority. Maybe I'll end up investing in the Rito Set since it looks pretty nice and there's quite a number of cold environs that demand resistance? I made a pretty extensive trek through the desert already so heat resistance is less a concern... though I suppose I didn't give a very thorough search of all of the canyon that precedes it.

You should get some of the armor in the depths

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I think the forced camera zoom happens when you’re still up on tutorial island before jumping off the temple of time’s rear end-end. Possibly many minutes before that jump, even.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Harriet Carker posted:

Ok, fair enough. I think calling that a bustling city is a bit of a stretch. I assumed it was one of the "go here after you've done a bunch of other stuff" sort of places, like Ganon's Castle in BotW.

...I'd say there's a difference between "go to the evil castle where the Big Bad lies waiting" and "go to this settlement that's actually not right in front of the Big Evil Castle floating in the air that screams final boss arena".

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

Yes he’s the guy who sits all day in the tomato field. Did you have to do anything special for him? Maybe I need that hint from Cece?

Yeah no the thing is, I genuinely don't remember ever giving him a mushroom, so when I finally got around to the quest I wasted time trying to talk to him at night to no avail. You might need Cece's hint because she talks more about the kind of people to look for, and for me she told me the usual locations of one specific guy who wanders pretty far away. I don't know if she always points him out or if she talks about other villagers too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RatHat posted:

Killed an electric Gleeok, it was a huge pain in the rear end and the rewards didn’t seem worth it. I used like 20 bomb arrows but maybe I should’ve been using monster parts for high damage arrows instead. High level lightning resist instead of mid-level could’ve helped too.

the fire and ice ones you can one-shot each of their eyes with a decent bow with ice or fire fruit attached respectively. dunno about the lightning ones though but bomb arrows are generally better for their AOE (and potential to cause chain reactions) than for their raw damage

sigher posted:

Hell yeah, there's already a mod that removes the gacha bullshit from amiibo drops.

It annoys even more in this than it did in BoTW because I actually like finding the amiibo armors in chests hidden around the world, I just want the glider colors and don’t want the armor to drop :saddumb:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Players willfully ignoring the flashing klaxons (repeatedly, if you go to a different tower or by indulging the one quest you have at that point) and not beelining for the Lookout isn't a game problem.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harriet Carker posted:

Oh for sure, this is what I will do the next time I play.

I still stand by my point that letting you gently caress off to shrines that are impossible to complete without a necessary item and also not indicating in any way, shape, or form, that you can't yet complete them and also making it really really seem possible (I got within a few inches of crossing the gap and figured with slightly better device placement I might have been able to do it) is straight up bad design.

I'm really enjoying the game, but this one bit is a blatant oversight.

What shrines? I wager every shrine is completable with only the tools given at the island.

They've idiot proofed this game, but I guess that's an arms race scenario.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Augus posted:

the fire and ice ones you can one-shot each of their eyes with a decent bow with ice or fire fruit attached respectively. dunno about the lightning ones though but bomb arrows are generally better for their AOE (and potential to cause chain reactions) than for their raw damage

It annoys even more in this than it did in BoTW because I actually like finding the amiibo armors in chests hidden around the world, I just want the glider colors and don’t want the armor to drop :saddumb:

Sell em and pretend the chest just had 600 rupees instead.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Khanstant posted:

What shrines? I wager every shrine is completable with only the tools given at the island.

They've idiot proofed this game, but I guess that's an arms race scenario.

The shrine that started this discussion, Makasura Shrine in Kakariko. If it's possible without the glider, that's awesome (and I bet people have figured out how) but I quite a while getting within inches of clearing the gap, thinking I was just not setting things up quite correctly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Augus posted:

Is there a list of gliders available without amibos? I'd love some of the amibo ones though but I figured I'd shop around.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, I'm with Harriet Carker. I was flabberghasted when they let me jump off of Tutorial Island without giving me the paraglider. Tutorializing "you can safely dive into water from any height" is not nearly important enough to trade off getting the paraglider for it, especially since it'll almost never come up again because players will have the god drat paraglider.

It's a design misstep. The only one I've seen so far in what is otherwise a masterpiece that ought to have every other game scheduled to come out this year pushing their release back to 2024 because GotY is sewn up, thanks for playing, but a design misstep nonetheless.

the game was made with the expectation that people would be familiar with BoTW and anybody familiar with BoTW would feel the pain of the paraglider’s absence and want to get the paraglider back as soon as possible, and that should naturally lead them to check out Lookout Landing to see if the paraglider is there. They don’t railroad you into it but the signposting is insanely clear.

Besjdes, you there is still a shitload of stuff you can do even without the paraglider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Augus posted:

the game was made with the expectation that people would be familiar with BoTW and anybody familiar with BoTW would feel the pain of the paraglider’s absence and want to get the paraglider back as soon as possible, and that should naturally lead them to check out Lookout Landing to see if the paraglider is there. They don’t railroad you into it but the signposting is insanely clear.

Besjdes, you there is still a shitload of stuff you can do even without the paraglider

I think your last sentence actually sums up why this particular shrine was so frustrating! I was having a grand old time, using Zonai wings where I need to glide, getting Korok seeds, doing quests, doing other shrines, and this was the first roadblock in many hours.

I really was thinking at this point "Hmm, it's a shame there's no glider because Zonai wings aren't as easy to use, but maybe they did that to force players to plan their climbing routes more carefully. That's a bold choice but I'm willing to see where it goes"

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if that shine is possible by putting a Zonai wing on the metal piece and then catapulting the whole thing standing on top of the wing.